PDA

View Full Version : Bill Snyder to retire on Tuesday

KevB
11-14-2005, 10:54 PM
It's a dark day for KState fans....I'm speechless. He's given me and every other KSU fan many great memories. I simply hope health isn't the factor.....no details have been published yet.

Coach
11-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Wow! Are you serious?

KcMizzou
11-14-2005, 10:55 PM
Wow... this for real?

BigRedChief
11-14-2005, 10:56 PM
Saul's gonna need hospitalization

ROYC75
11-14-2005, 10:59 PM
KSU has sucked the last 2 years.

BigRedChief
11-14-2005, 11:01 PM
It's a dark day for KState fans....I'm speechless. He's given me and every other KSU fan many great memories. I simply hope health isn't the factor.....no details have been published yet.

You do realize that if this turns out to be false the Planet will unleash a holy neg rep war upon you and your heirs.

chiefqueen
11-14-2005, 11:04 PM
Source, please!!

Coach
11-14-2005, 11:07 PM
Link?

alanm
11-14-2005, 11:10 PM
Tis a dark day for the Big 12. I wonder if he's being pressured out. I hope not. Him and Osborne were two of a kind. :(

Mr. Kotter
11-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Saul, WilliamTheIrish, ChiTown....

So, are you guys happy to be movin' onto a new era, or bummed to see the guy go? :hmmm:

Ultra Peanut
11-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Whoa.

JBucc
11-14-2005, 11:12 PM
Um, who is Bill Snyder?

alanm
11-14-2005, 11:13 PM
Um, who is Bill Snyder?You're kidding right?
:hmmm:

JBucc
11-14-2005, 11:14 PM
You're kidding right?
:hmmm:No I actually don't know. Should I know?

KcMizzou
Um, who is Bill Snyder?Heh.

KSU head football coach. Biggest turn-around in NCAA history.

SoCalBronco
That sucks. He did a great job bringing that program to elite status and kept them there for a long time. Sorry Saul. Very sad to see Snyder step down. He'll be in the College football hall of fame in a short time.

Ultra Peanut
11-14-2005, 11:18 PM
No I actually don't know. Should I know?Wow. Just... wow.

Bugeater
11-14-2005, 11:20 PM
I have to see an actual news story to believe it.

JBucc
11-14-2005, 11:20 PM
Wow. Just... wow.OK I googled him and found out who he is. Just never kept up with or cared about big 12 football. Sorry if I'm ignorant. Sucks for you guys i guess.

ArrowheadHawk
11-14-2005, 11:21 PM
looks like ku will get a few more wins from ksu in the future

Coach
11-14-2005, 11:21 PM
No I actually don't know. Should I know?

The team Sports Illustrated dubbed K-State as "Futility U." Five winning seasons in 54 years.(Before Snyder era) From '84 to '88, they went a combined 4-40-1 ... and were lucky to win those four. They had two very lengthy losing streaks, broken up only by perhaps the most infamous college football game in history -- November 7, 1987 -- a 17-17 tie against equally inept Kansas, known forever to my fellow Kansans as "The Toilet Bowl." What makes the turnaround at K-State so incredible, and so under-reported, is people forgetting how terrible the Wildcats really were before Coach Snyder.

KevB
11-14-2005, 11:22 PM
It's the headline on GoPowercat.com. If it hadn't been confirmed by the owner of the website and publication, I wouldn't post it here. What really, really pisses me off is that I was at a charity auction last Sunday, put in what I thougt was the winning bid for a Bill Snyder signed football, and some ass stepped in right behind me to outbid me as they were picking up the sheets.

Coach
11-14-2005, 11:22 PM
I have to see an actual news story to believe it.

I think that's what the majority of the KSU fans are as well.

HemiEd
11-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Wow, does that ever suck. :deevee:

KevB
11-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Best sports fan moment of my entire life was sitting in Arrowhead watching KSU blow out OU....something I'll never forget as long as I live. Just an amazing run for Coach Snyder.

Coach
11-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Kansas State football coach Bill Snyder has informed his team and coaches that he will announce his retirement Tuesday at his weekly press conference, multiple sources have told Powercat Illustrated. Snyder is completing his 17th season as Kansas State's coach, directing the greatest turnaround of a program in college football history.

Snyder informed his team of his decision around 9 p.m. following the team's Monday evening practice at KSU Stadium. The sources indicated that the announcement came as a complete surprise to everyone in the room.

During the past two weeks, multiple sources had told PI that Snyder was attempting to rework his assistant coaching staff for the 2006 season, but had given no indication that he planned to retire.

Snyder will finish his 17th season at K-State on Saturday when his Wildcats take on the Missouri Tigers at KSU Stadium, a game that is set for a 1:10 p.m. kickoff.

Snyder arrived at K-State before the start of the 1989 season, at a time when the Wildcats were in the midst of a 27-game winless streak and led K-State to a 1-10 record in his first season, one that marked that start of the greatest turnaround in college football history. The Wildcats went 5-6 in 1990, 7-4 in 1991 and 5-6 again in 1992 before earning 11 straight bowl bids from 1993-2003.

K-State's 11-year bowl string ended in 2004 when the Wildcats went 4-7. K-State will again miss a bowl game this season, entering Saturday's game with a 4-6 record.

Heading into the 2005 season Kansas State had the eighth most wins in Division I-A from 1993-2004, ahead of schools such as Virginia Tech, Texas, Auburn, Georgia, Oklahoma, USC and Penn State among dozens of others.

Snyder has won 135 games in his 17 years at K-State, easily the most in school history and led the Wildcat program to heights never imagined before his arrival. He led the Wildcats to 11-win seasons in six out of seven years from 1997-2003, including two Fiesta Bowl berths.

K-State has appeared in three Big 12 Championship Games under Snyder (1998, 2000, 2003) and has won or shared the North title four times (1998, 1999, 2000, 2003) since the conference began play back in 1996. The Wildcats won their first conference title of any kind since 1934 under Snyder with a 35-7 win over then No. 1 Oklahoma in the 2003 Big 12 Championship Game.

Snyder entered his final season ranked seventh nationally in career winning percentage among active coaches and is a sure-fire bet for the College Football Hall of Fame after being named a three-time National Coach of the Year during his career. He was also named Big 8/Big 12 Coach of the Year seven times by various media outlets.

It is unknown at this time if a succession plan is in place to quickly name K-State's next head coach.

GoPowercat.com will continue to cover this story throughout the evening and tomorrow with extensive coverage of Snyder's press conference that will begin at 1:00 p.m. tomorrow.

http://kansasstate.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=479363

ArrowheadHawk
11-14-2005, 11:25 PM
Wow, does that ever suck. :deevee:
not for me i like it :thumb:

WoodDraw
11-14-2005, 11:27 PM
Wow, that's pretty crazy. It's too bad that he has to go out this way and not on top but he has had an amazing career regardless. I wonder who KSU will be able to attract to replace him.

BigRedChief
11-14-2005, 11:31 PM
You do realize that if this turns out to be false the Planet will unleash a holy neg rep war upon you and your heirs.

Niice scoop. Pos rep for ya!:thumb:

Coach
11-14-2005, 11:31 PM
Wow, that's pretty crazy. It's too bad that he has to go out this way and not on top but he has had an amazing career regardless. I wonder who KSU will be able to attract to replace him.

Rumor has it that Brent Venables' could be the next one.

Bugeater
11-14-2005, 11:43 PM
Niice scoop. Pos rep for ya!:thumb:
I'll second that!

I have to say I'm shocked. Not good for a Big XII north that is already lacking credibility.

ferrarispider95
11-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Unfortunately this seems to be true, just heard it on the news. WHO will they get to replace him?

Bugeater
11-14-2005, 11:51 PM
Damn, now I feel bad for giving Saulbadguy neg rep the other day, even though he had it coming.

Eleazar
11-14-2005, 11:55 PM
Channel 9 reporting this too, I missed the start of the report though, so it may just be them repeating the same source.

Good run at KSU for Snyder, hope he enjoys his retirement.

Black Jack Savage
11-15-2005, 12:01 AM
This probably doesn't bode well for Mizzou this weekend...they're going to get a sympathy raping.

KevB
11-15-2005, 12:03 AM
This probably doesn't bode well for Mizzou this weekend...they're going to get a sympathy raping.

You would think so. I can't imagine a KState team playing harder than they'll play on Saturday. It may become a detriment, with guys trying to do too much. Either way, that will be one loud a$$ stadium. I'd give anything to go, but we're moving to a new house this weekend. It kills me that I can't go.

ChiefsCountry
11-15-2005, 12:09 AM
Its true, ESPN said it on the last thing on SportsCenter.

Miles
11-15-2005, 12:16 AM
ESPN link:
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2224308

KevB
11-15-2005, 12:17 AM
This from the recruiting editor at Rivals.com:

"Guys:

I get on a plane to fly to Detroit, and I flip on my cell phone when we land, and I had 20 messages. I knew immediately something was up. Never did I think that this would be what the messages were about.

I’m speechless.

When I have some time tomorrow night after hitting some schools, I’d like to reflect on some of my thoughts on Bill Snyder – including my first visit to coach Snyder’s office when I started covering recruiting for the Kansas City Star.

Never, and I mean never, have I met a more compassionate man when it came to young people.

I’m usually never at a loss for words and can’t type 100 miles an hour, but tonight the words aren’t coming as quickly."

Many non-KSU fans have an image of an eccentric, detailed, introverted person when it comes to Coach Snyder. That's not the case at all. The best story of many I've heard relates to a time when Phil Bennett (then KSU D-Coordinator) lost his wife to a lightening strike. Bennett had two young children, and wasn't able to stay at the hospital 24/7 before she passed because he had to take care of his kids. He's told the story that every night when he went home to his kids, Snyder had come to the hospital after practice. When Bennett arrived back at the hospital the next morning, Coach Snyder was still there.

KevB
11-15-2005, 12:19 AM
Tis a dark day for the Big 12. I wonder if he's being pressured out. I hope not. Him and Osborne were two of a kind. :(

No chance, he owns that town. He would have been afforded the ability to call his shot so to speak.

greg63
11-15-2005, 12:21 AM
A dark day for KSU fans indeed. :shake:

WilliamTheIrish
11-15-2005, 01:03 AM
Many non-KSU fans have an image of an eccentric, detailed, introverted person when it comes to Coach Snyder. That's not the case at all. The best story of many I've heard relates to a time when Phil Bennett (then KSU D-Coordinator) lost his wife to a lightening strike. Bennett had two young children, and wasn't able to stay at the hospital 24/7 before she passed because he had to take care of his kids. He's told the story that every night when he went home to his kids, Snyder had come to the hospital after practice. When Bennett arrived back at the hospital the next morning, Coach Snyder was still there.

When people run their Romesque smak to me about Snyder, I've always defended the guy. Never told them why. They just assumed since he's the coach of my favorite squad that it was only natural.

That was neve the reason why I defended the guy to any person who bashed him.

Several year ago I attended the funeral of the 5 year old son of a guy who grew up across the street from me. This friend and myself had drifted away from each other over the years and this funeral was the first time I'd seen him since the birth of his only son.
His kid had been placed in the coffin in his best suit. His sister (3 at the time) wanted to be sure her brother "wouldn't get cold" in the after life and threw in his favorite purple sweatshirt.
Snyder had heard about the kids health and twice had sent him items autographed by the team and invited him and his Dad to spring practice.

But that day, Bill Snyder walked into this funeral home in northeast Kansas, dressed in suit and tie, gave condolences to the father, hugged the mother and stopped by the casket before exiting.

Never was he informed by the family that the child had died. Now I don't know if he just read it in the paper or if he kept track of things of that nature, but there he was.

Little things like that made Bill Snyder a big man in my book.

I wish him well. He's done more for KSU than anybody could have possibly dreamed.

I just hope it's not health related.

WilliamTheIrish
11-15-2005, 01:04 AM
And I wish he'd have thrown El Roberson off the team in Tempe.

KevB
11-15-2005, 01:10 AM
When people run their Romesque smak to me about Snyder, I've always defended the guy. Never told them why. They just assumed since he's the coach of my favorite squad that it was only natural.

That was neve the reason why I defended the guy to any person who bashed him.

Several year ago I attended the funeral of the 5 year old son of a guy who grew up across the street from me. This friend and myself had drifted away from each other over the years and this funeral was the first time I'd seen him since the birth of his only son.
His kid had been placed in the coffin in his best suit. His sister (3 at the time) wanted to be sure her brother "wouldn't get cold" in the after life and threw in his favorite purple sweatshirt.
Snyder had heard about the kids health and twice had sent him items autographed by the team and invited him and his Dad to spring practice.

But that day, Bill Snyder walked into this funeral home in northeast Kansas, dressed in suit and tie, gave condolences to the father, hugged the mother and stopped by the casket before exiting.

Never was he informed by the family that the child had died. Now I don't know if he just read it in the paper or if he kept track of things of that nature, but there he was.

Little things like that made Bill Snyder a big man in my book.

I wish him well. He's done more for KSU than anybody could have possibly dreamed.

I just hope it's not health related.

There are so many stories I've read like this, and as you said, these are the reasons why (combined with the winning of course) KSU fans feel such a bond with Snyder. Much like you, I rarely got into the "why's" in defending Snyder. I knew the kind of man he was, and that was enough. The guy genuinely cares about people.

Spicy McHaggis
11-15-2005, 01:17 AM
I'm a KU fan through and through. Still I don't want Snyder to go because he was good for Big XII football and you have to respect the man for what he did. And like KevB said I hope it isn't health related and that he is stepping down of his own will.

Demonpenz
11-15-2005, 01:21 AM
congrats to a st joe guy. I bet kietzman is dumbfounded

alanm
11-15-2005, 01:53 AM
I guess Missouri is toast this Saturday. It being Snyder's last game and all. :)

the Talking Can
11-15-2005, 06:10 AM
Too bad. Most of my family roots for KSU and I always liked the way he coached games. The anti-Marty for sure, even though he had the same tough luck in big games.

And he had some outstanding defenses.

I was at the Big 12 Championship in St. Louis (not really sure why) when KSU lost to A & M (?). KSU fans were making bowl plans at halftime, I honestly felt sorry for them afterwards.

I think it will be very tough for the next coach to get the program back though. Recruiting is cyclical and tough for schools that still aren't considered traditional powerhouses.

Hope it is not health related, as others mentioned.

ILChief
11-15-2005, 06:13 AM
oh great. no chance of chiefs talk on 810 today. they are obsessed with the Big 12 North. Especially KK. Between MU's loss in b-ball and Snyder quitting, no chance the Chiefs are discussed.

siberian khatru
11-15-2005, 06:32 AM
The wrong Snyder quit.

Braincase
11-15-2005, 06:34 AM
If K-State can land Venables, it will help K-State immensely and hurt OU... I'm all for it.

Skip Towne
11-15-2005, 06:42 AM
Good morning Saul. You're dead meat.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 06:57 AM
I'm shocked. Snyder has built KSU in to what it is today. It is very easy for younger KSU fans like myself to take for granted what Snyder has done, but in the back of my mind, I know what we were before he came.

Thank you Bill.

Boozer
11-15-2005, 07:06 AM
Are you sure he's retiring? Maybe Steve Pederson has secretly moved from Nebraska to K-State, and has fired Snyder for recent underperformance.

wolfpack0735
11-15-2005, 07:36 AM
he should retire. he took that football team from the laughing stock of the nation to a powerhouse. now its going down hill bad. he`s been there to long. what he did was just great but he should have gone out acouple of years ago on a winning note.

KevB
11-15-2005, 07:41 AM
he should retire. he took that football team from the laughing stock of the nation to a powerhouse. now its going down hill bad. he`s been there to long. what he did was just great but he should have gone out acouple of years ago on a winning note.

You mean like Joe Paterno should have left? :rolleyes:

KCTitus
11-15-2005, 07:46 AM

There are few teams in college football that deserve the critcism of a "pretender" scheduling patsies to inflate the schedule, but KState was one of them. I dont fault Snyder for doing that, it got them national attention for a brief period.

Dartgod
11-15-2005, 07:57 AM
Wow. Sucks for KSU fans. I wish you guys all the same success in finding a replacement that NU has had in replacing Osborne.

:D

FWIW, they were reporting on the radio this morning (99.7 KY) that he was leaving for health concerns. Hope it's nothing serious.

Coach
11-15-2005, 07:57 AM
If K-State can land Venables, it will help K-State immensely and hurt OU... I'm all for it.

That's what alot of K-Staters fans are hoping for as well.

Kerberos
11-15-2005, 08:04 AM
I'm shocked. Snyder has built KSU in to what it is today. It is very easy for younger KSU fans like myself to take for granted what Snyder has done, but in the back of my mind, I know what we were before he came.

Thank you Bill.

Sorry Saul I guess this is pretty hard news for a Kstate fan of your passion.

As I am a Kstate fan I am a fan of all KANSAS schools that do well so him leaving means that we have a chance to get someone in here that can carry on the legacy and do even MORE for Kstate.

Hey maybe Callahan will be available at the end of this season? :hmmm:

j/k

Bugeater
11-15-2005, 08:18 AM

Yes! Please take him! He's an offensive genius!

SquirrellyBastard
11-15-2005, 08:19 AM
According to the article on 810 (taken from the Wichita Eagle), Snyder is retiring for health reasons...
Having graduated from KSU, I have many fond football memories! Thanks Bill!
Now, let's go out and get Brent Venables from OU....

http://www.810whb.com/scripts/archives/getStory.asp?article=11254

Lzen
11-15-2005, 08:22 AM
Best sports fan moment of my entire life was sitting in Arrowhead watching KSU blow out OU....something I'll never forget as long as I live. Just an amazing run for Coach Snyder.

I'm not even a KSU fan, but I gotta say that I enjoyed that one, too. :)

Lzen
11-15-2005, 08:23 AM
Snyder will finish his 17th season at K-State on Saturday when his Wildcats take on the Missouri Tigers at KSU Stadium, a game that is set for a 1:10 p.m. kickoff.

Missouri fans, you might as well not watch on Saturday. ROFL

KCFalcon59
11-15-2005, 09:59 AM
The Big 12 has has been diminished with the retirement of Bill Snyder. I personally like the Jayhawks more, but have great respect for what he has accomplished. I followed their games and watched them whenever they were on TV. I think he could have gone a few more years as coach.

Good luck in retirement Coach!

htismaqe
11-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Another Hayden Fry protege retires.

Don't worry, KSU fans, the lineage is full and rich. Just like Brett Bielema taking over for Coach Alvarez, KSU will find an up-and-coming coach to fill the void...

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 10:09 AM
Another Hayden Fry protege retires.

Don't worry, KSU fans, the lineage is full and rich. Just like Brett Bielema taking over for Coach Alvarez, KSU will find an up-and-coming coach to fill the void...
I'm a Gary Patterson homer all the way.

A couple months ago the Vaniers family set up a 3.5 million dollar endowment for just this, hiring a new football coach. We've got the money. I just hope we can use that to lure someone with previous HC experience.

htismaqe
11-15-2005, 10:14 AM
I'm a Gary Patterson homer all the way.

A couple months ago the Vaniers family set up a 3.5 million dollar endowment for just this, hiring a new football coach. We've got the money. I just hope we can use that to lure someone with previous HC experience.

He'd be an excellent hire, IMO.

And hiring a former KSU player is probably the only way you're going to get someone who hasn't coached under Snyder at some point or another...

Dartgod
11-15-2005, 10:15 AM
I just hope we can use that to lure someone with previous HC experience.
See? Callahan is your man!

the Talking Can
11-15-2005, 10:19 AM
I heard a caller on the radio today suggest the NU coach that Callahan replaced...I forget his name, anyways lmao.

Stolich...that's the ticket

Dartgod
11-15-2005, 10:27 AM
I heard a caller on the radio today suggest the NU coach that Callahan replaced...I forget his name, anyways lmao.

Stolich...that's the ticket
Close, it's Solich.

Mr. Kotter
11-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Close, it's Solich.

FWIW, if I were an AD I'd hire Solich in a heartbeat. Although a younger coach would be preferable.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 10:39 AM
Solich never recruited very well.

Mr. Kotter
11-15-2005, 10:41 AM
Solich never recruited very well.

That's the knock, for sure. Not sure I really buy it though. Compared to Osbourne, he was charismatic.

Dartgod
11-15-2005, 10:49 AM
That's the knock, for sure. Not sure I really buy it though. Compared to Osbourne, he was charismatic.
Compared to Callahan, he was Vince freakin' Lombardi.

Extra Point
11-15-2005, 11:02 AM
I commend Bill Snyder for being the right guy at the right place, at the right time for KSU football. After the last game, he was man enough to tell it like it is, concerning the underperformance of his team and coaches. A matter-of-fact, no candy-coating, no-nonsense coach and leader.

jcroft
11-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Well, just a short report from here in Manhattan...As you guys know, I'm really a KU fan, but I work at K-State, so I am pretty deeply embedded in all this damn purple. :)

We started hearing about this last last night (around 11pm or so). By midnight it was being reported pretty much everywhere. No doubt most people are shocked, but then, we're talking about a bunch of K-State homers. Personally, I'd been saying for weeks that there's no way Snyder can make it through another season like this one. I really feel like if he'd stayed, he would have been forced to make major staff changes (which he's never been a fan of doing -- he's never fired a coach), and even then would have basically been given one more season to get it together. I don't think he was asked to step down, but I do think he realized that he would be if this continued, and he opted to get out before it got that bad. Most of the K-State folks here don't get that -- they think, "he built this program from the group up and therefore he ought to be able to stay as long as he likes." But what they don't seem to get is that everyone here -- and by everyone, I mean the administration, some of whom I meet with weekly -- remember what it was like before Snyder. They know what a big deal having a top-notoch football program is to this University and they know they can't afford to lose it.

Anyway, Venables definitely is the buzz around here as the top choice for the replacement, and I think everyone agrees that would be a great thing for K-State. but, some people wonder how realistic it is that he'd leave OU. Who knows (personally, I follow pro football much more than college). I think if K-State wants Venables, then they should target him and get him at any cost -- sort of like KU did with Bill Self. Have a one-man shortlist and don't stop trying until you've got him. Gary Patterson seems like the other obvious choice, and a third one being talked about a little bit is Chuck Long. I've heard Jim Leavitt's name, too. Most of the other potential candidates would seem to be people on the current staff, but to me, all of them should be eliminated by association with the teams of the past two years.

No doubt Snyder has had a great run and deserves all the credit in the world for it. It's too bad he couldn't go out on top, but I think he's making the right move by getting out before it gets worse.

Being as I'm not really a big K-State fan, I don't have tickets to the game this weekend, but I wish I did. My apartment is right across the street from the stadium, though -- I guess I'll just hang around and enjoy the atmosphere.

htismaqe
11-15-2005, 11:11 AM
Well, just a short report from here in Manhattan...As you guys know, I'm really a KU fan, but I work at K-State, so I am pretty deeply embedded in all this damn purple. :)

We started hearing about this last last night (around 11pm or so). By midnight it was being reported pretty much everywhere. No doubt most people are shocked, but then, we're talking about a bunch of K-State homers. Personally, I'd been saying for weeks that there's no way Snyder can make it through another season like this one. I really feel like if he'd stayed, he would have been forced to make major staff changes (which he's never been a fan of doing -- he's never fired a coach), and even then would have basically been given one more season to get it together. I don't think he was asked to step down, but I do think he realized that he would be if this continued, and he opted to get out before it got that bad. Most of the K-State folks here don't get that -- they think, "he built this program from the group up and therefore he ought to be able to stay as long as he likes." But what they don't seem to get is that everyone here -- and by everyone, I mean the administration, some of whom I meet with weekly -- remember what it was like before Snyder. They know what a big deal having a top-notoch football program is to this University and they know they can't afford to lose it.

Anyway, Venables definitely is the buzz around here as the top choice for the replacement, and I think everyone agrees that would be a great thing for K-State. but, some people wonder how realistic it is that he'd leave OU. Who knows (personally, I follow pro football much more than college). I think if K-State wants Venables, then they should target him and get him at any cost -- sort of like KU did with Bill Self. Have a one-man shortlist and don't stop trying until you've got him. Gary Patterson seems like the other obvious choice, and a third one being talked about a little bit is Chuck Long. I've heard Jim Leavitt's name, too. Most of the other potential candidates would seem to be people on the current staff, but to me, all of them should be eliminated by association with the teams of the past two years.

No doubt Snyder has had a great run and deserves all the credit in the world for it. It's too bad he couldn't go out on top, but I think he's making the right move by getting out before it gets worse.

Being as I'm not really a big K-State fan, I don't have tickets to the game this weekend, but I wish I did. My apartment is right across the street from the stadium, though -- I guess I'll just hang around and enjoy the atmosphere.

I'd love to see Chuck Long, if for no other reason than to watch him stick it to Iowa State once a year like he did back in the 80's...

KevB
11-15-2005, 12:19 PM
DV just gave Snyder some serious props in his news conference. Said nobody anywhere has done a better job coaching than Snyder. Very cool.

chiefqueen
11-15-2005, 12:23 PM
The wrong Snyder quit.

Don't worry......based on last night the other one will be gone in 4 months.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 12:50 PM
Press conference in 5 minutes.

chief52
11-15-2005, 01:03 PM
News conference is also on ESPNEWS.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 01:12 PM
"It was the right time."

"K-State is bigger than Bill Snyder"

"I will continue living in Manhattan,and supporting Kansas State University."

"My health is fine."

"I will be here to help" re: picking a successor

KSU stadium will be renamed "The Bill Snyder Family Stadium"

KevB
11-15-2005, 01:25 PM
For everyone that doesn't feel that they've ever gotten a glimpse inside of Snyder's thoughts, take a moment to listen to or watch his press conference. He will truly be missed.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 01:41 PM
Whitlock is an idiot.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 01:43 PM
U.S. SENATOR PAT ROBERTS (R-KS)

"There are two kinds of coaches, those whose primary concern is their win-loss record and a select few who are teachers and by example, are leaders of young men. Bill Snyder has been highly successful at both. The Bill Snyder record of achievement is unmatched in turning around a football program that was mired in years of defeat and threatening K-State’s loss of conference participation. He reversed that record to make K-State one of the top teams in the country, took the team to 10-straight bowl games, and made K-State players well known in the NFL. This turnaround is unmatched in collegiate athletics. Additionally, his achievements were a catalyst for alumni interest and renewal of financial support throughout the university. He has led us out of the Death Valley days of defeat to great and lasting victories. I have had the privilege of knowing Bill as a coach and personal friend. Simply put, he has been a class act, a great coach and a wonderful mentor of young men. Like all K-Staters, I wish him and Sharon the very best and thank him for great memories."

U.S. SENATOR SAM BROWNBACK (R-KS)

"I am deeply saddened to see Coach Snyder leave the program. The character, persistence and leadership Coach Snyder has shown in engineering the greatest turnaround in college football history is a lesson for all of us, showing that you can win at the highest levels of college sports with honor and integrity. He has been an inspiration to all Kansans. On behalf of Wildcat fans everywhere, thank you Coach Snyder, and may God continue to bless you."

GOVERNOR KATHLEEN SEBELIUS (D-KS)

"Coach Snyder joined K-State when the football program was struggling and people doubted his ability to turn it around. Yet, through determination and hard work, he’s built an incredible program over the past 17 years. Coach Snyder’s leadership will continue to serve as an incredible example to others. He and Sharon have had a huge impact on the community and on the kids whose lives they have touched. Most impressive to me, beyond his undisputable role in football, is that he truly cares about our college students. I don’t know many other coaches who can be found front and center at other sporting events, supporting their university teams. And, it’s evident Coach Snyder cares about not only the school and the students, but the entire community. That’s the mark of a great leader. He’ll be missed on the football field, but I’m confident he will continue to play an important role at K-State and in Kansas."

MAYOR of MANHATTAN, Kan., ED KLIMEK

“I would call Coach Snyder an individual who has had a dramatic impact on KSU football and the city of Manhattan. He brought a newfound prosperity and an economic impact that was unseen in this community before his arrival. Coach Snyder and his family have a tremendous value system in place making him one of America’s finest football coaches and one of Manhattan’s greatest citizens.”

HAYDEN FRY, FORMER HEAD COACH at the UNIVERSITY OF IOWA

“He is the greatest. He did a wonderful job for me for 17 years as an assistant coach. He is extremely intelligent and organized. He is fundamentally the best coach I have ever seen. He has a great career and I am extremely proud of him.”

JOE PATERNO, HEAD COACH at PENN STATE UNIVERSITY; close friend of Coach Snyder

“Bill Snyder is a great guy. Hayden Fry did a great job when you look at some of the people he had on his staff. He is one of those people that other people don’t quite appreciate because of the fact that he is not an out-going guy. He is not a guy that promotes himself, but he is great football coach. He has done a great job at Kansas State. He is guy I admire very much both as a person and as a football coach. I hate to see some of these guys get out of it. I hope we have young people who are coming into it with the same type of commitment to what college football is all about and not necessarily how much money they are going to make. Bill was never that way. Bill and I have spent a lot of time together on different Nike trips and talked a lot. I wish him luck. I know he knows what he wants to do, but I am sorry to see him go."

BOB STOOPS, HEAD COACH at the UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA

“I have always appreciated the fact that Coach Snyder gave me my first opportunity at a full-time coaching position. Starting there at a young age gave me the foundation I needed and developed me as a coach. I am very thankful for that.

“I have tremendous respect for the work ethic, the determination and the thought that went into every practice and game plan by Coach Snyder. He never doubted that the program would be successful and he projected that to all of us. I always felt as a coach that we would succeed, and sure enough we did. It was his determination that made that possible even when so many said it would never happen. His vision defied that and allowed it to happen.

“It has been written about and talked about over a lot of years, but I don’t know if anyone truly has a grasp on the turnaround that occurred at Kansas State and how far down the program was when he took it over. If you take a close look at it I don’t know that there has been anything else like it, especially when you look at what was in place there at the time.

“I want to wish all the best to Coach and his family. He can look back over a tremendous career of accomplishment, and now enjoy some special time with family and friends.”

BRENT VENABLES, ASSOCIATE HEAD COACH/Co-DEFENSIVE COORDINATOR at the UNIVERSITY OF OKLAHOMA

“Nobody has had a more profound impact on my decision to get into coaching and my career. Without his willingness to hire me I wouldn’t be in the position I am today. Although it has been 12 years since I first started under his tutelage he still has an influence on my career every day. Nobody is more respected in the coaching profession for the job he has done at Kansas State and the positive impact he has had on many young guys’ lives. It’s a sad day that he’s leaving the profession. I wish him all the best.”

DAN McCARNEY, HEAD COACH at IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY

"Bill Snyder is an obvious hall of fame coach. His accomplishments speak louder than words. But more importantly, he is a hall of fame person. He has brought the highest standard of integrity and work ethic to every place he has been. It was an honor to coach with him and against him."

MIKE STOOPS, HEAD COACH at the UNIVERSITY OF ARIZONA

"Above all the games and everything else, Coach Snyder's loyalty to Kansas State was unprecedented. More than turning around that program -- the greatest turnaround in college football history -- he gave everything he had to the university. His tireless work ethic set a national standard. As a coach, he made me very detail oriented -- at least I hope so."

LLOYD CARR, HEAD COACH at the UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN

"Bill Snyder has had a great coaching career and been a credit to the game. At Kansas State he accomplished what many might have thought was impossible as he was able to build a program that consistently was of
championship caliber. He was good for the game and we will miss him."

JIM LEAVITT, HEAD COACH at the UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA

"Kansas State lost a great man today. Nobody has impacted a program in college football any more than Coach Snyder has at Kansas State. He is a very close friend to me, and I'll never be able to repay him for all he's done for me."

DON PATTERSON, HEAD COACH at WESTERN ILLINOIS UNIVERSITY; assistant coach with Snyder under Hayden Fry at Iowa from 1979-1988

"Through the years when I've had the opportunity to speak to groups of people I have always given special credit to two people - Bill Snyder and Hayden Fry. Coach Snyder has had everything to do with my development as a coach. He is one of the finest coaches I have ever known and is a true credit to the game of football. His presence will
be greatly missed."

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Bill Snyder Announces Retirement from Kansas State
Courtesy: Kansas State University | Release: 11/15/2005

Snyder File
Career Highlights of Head Coach Bill Snyder (PDF)

Coaching Tree
Former Assistant Coaches Under Snyder at Kansas State (PDF)

What Do You Think?
You can tell Coach Snyder what he has meant to you by emailing coachsnyder@ksu.edu
MANHATTAN, Kan. - Bill Snyder, architect of the Miracle in Manhattan and the greatest turnaround in the history of college football, announced his retirement Tuesday as the head football coach at Kansas State.

The winningest coach in the history of K-State football, Snyder will coach his final game with the Wildcats Saturday versus Missouri at home in the stadium that will be renamed Bill Snyder Family Stadium in his honor.

Named the 32nd head coach football coach at Kansas State on Nov. 30, 1988, Snyder has totaled 135 victories during his 17 years with the Wildcats, more than triple the man in second place on K-State’s all-time coaching victories list. In fact, it took Kansas State 52 seasons (1937-1988) to total just 134 wins, while the 12 head coaches prior to Snyder's arrival combined to win 116 games from 1945-1988.

His tenure at Kansas State has been so remarkable that Kansas City Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil has called Snyder “the best coach in the country”, while legendary Oklahoma head coach Barry Switzer termed him “the coach of the century”.

But perhaps ESPN college football analyst Lee Corso put it best when he said “Bill Snyder has done the single greatest job of turning a football program around.”

He will leave Kansas State ranked No. 7 among active coaches in winning percentage, having won over 65 percent of his games with the Wildcats, and No. 12 in total victories with at least 135.

“I join the thousands of K-State fans who thank Coach Snyder for everything he has done, not only to build a great football program, but in helping build a great University,” said Tim Weiser, director of athletics. “Pending approval of the Kansas Board of Regents, KSU Stadium will be renamed Bill Snyder Family Stadium as a completely appropriate recognition of his accomplishments here at Kansas State.”

Snyder’s impact at Kansas State reached far beyond the football field. In addition to rekindling an overwhelming sense of pride in K-State alumni and supporters from coast to coast, the winning culture he ushered in helped spark a University-wide renaissance as K-State’s enrollment blossomed from 18,120 when he was hired to its current record of nearly 24,000 today.

“One of the greatest decisions that I have made in my years as President was to hire Coach Bill Snyder from the University of Iowa in 1989,” said K-State President Jon Wefald. “We knew good things would happen sooner rather than later. We wanted Coach Snyder to make K-State football competitive in the Big Eight and across the country.

“The truth is, Coach Snyder exceeded all expectations,” Wefald said. “Indeed, Coach Snyder and his staff made K-State into a national football power. There is no question in my mind that Coach Snyder orchestrated and engineered the single greatest turnaround in American Division I collegiate football history. Bill Snyder’s legacy is secure here at Kansas State University. He will always be remembered as K-State’s greatest football coach and arguably one of the nation’s greatest football coaches over the past generation.”

Snyder, who Weiser said will remain active in the position of head coach until his replacement is named, did not indicate what his immediate plans for the future would hold, but did say his plans included remaining in Manhattan. Weiser said Snyder would remain employed by the athletics department as a special assistant to the athletics director.

When Snyder was named the Wildcats’ head football coach, he inherited a team that had just suffered through its second consecutive winless season. It was a program that had been through 14 different head coaches and won just 24 percent of its games – going 137-455-18 – between Lynn “Pappy” Waldorf’s 1934 Big Six championship team and his hiring.

But it did not take long for Snyder to change the entire culture of the program. In just his third year, he guided the 1991 Wildcats to a 7-4 record to give K-State just its second winning season since 1970. For his efforts, Snyder was named ESPN’s National Coach of the Year.

Just two seasons later, Snyder would guide Kansas State to a 9-2-1 record and a berth in the 1993 Copper Bowl, marking just the second bowl appearance ever by the Wildcats.

The trip to Tucson was the first of 11-straight postseason appearances for Snyder’s Wildcats, who quickly became a fixture on the Big 8/12 bowl circuit.

Along the way, Kansas State would become just the second team in the history of college football to win 11 games in six of seven seasons from 1997 and 2003.

The final 11-win campaign brought more firsts for Kansas State as Snyder guided the Wildcats to an unforgettable upset of No. 1 Oklahoma in the 2003 Big 12 Championship game that not only gave the Wildcats their first Big 12 title and BCS bowl berth, but captivated the imagination of the nation’s college football fans.

In total, Snyder guided the Kansas State to 11 winning seasons, four Big 12 North Division titles and three Big 12 Championship games as the Wildcats recorded the eighth-most wins in Division I-A from 1993-2004.

In addition to the team accomplishments, Snyder’s players were also some of the most decorated in the country. In his first 16 years, he produced three national award winners, 45 All-America selections and 68 first team all-conference honorees.

Snyder also mentored 42 NFL draft picks during his career, including nine first- and second-round picks. His players also recorded 56 of 68 individual single-season school records and 60 of 68 individual career records during his tenure at K-State.

The rebuilding effort and subsequent success engineered at Kansas State by Snyder clearly stands as one of the most amazing in all of college football. As a result, he has been recognized seven times as a conference Coach of the Year and three times as a National Coach of the Year. He was also named a finalist for ESPN’s College Coach of the Decade for the 1990s.

Weiser said Tuesday that a national search for Snyder’s replacement would begin immediately following Saturday’s game, but he would not comment on the search process until the season is complete.

“This week is about Bill Snyder, our senior football players and the recognition and attention which should be afforded them,” Weiser said. “There will be a time and a place later to discuss the future of K-State football, but I want to assure all K-State fans that this program will remain strong and committed to competing for conference championships just like we have for the past 17 years.”

HC_Chief
11-15-2005, 01:50 PM
End of an era. The man did a PHENOMINAL job of turning around what was once the single worst Div I football program in NCAA history. KSU was less than putrid... he made them a powerhouse. I wish him well in his retirement.

Dartgod
11-15-2005, 02:26 PM
OK, i'm probably going to piss off a few KSU fans here, but it's not like it will be the first time.

I understand that Snyder turned around the KSU program in a big way. But outside of a few conference championships, what did he really do? He has no National Championships to his credit, never even made it to the big game.

KevB
11-15-2005, 02:33 PM
OK, i'm probably going to piss off a few KSU fans here, but it's not like it will be the first time.

I understand that Snyder turned around the KSU program in a big way. But outside of a few conference championships, what did he really do? He has no National Championships to his credit, never even made it to the big game.

He restored pride in the University. He made it "cool" to go to Kansas State again. His team's success generated revenue that enhanced the University and surrounding area. He created memories of bowl trips, beating NU in '98, winning a conference championship. And he did it all with an understated class that KStaters appreciate.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 02:35 PM

He erased the apathy associated with Kansas State Football. KSU would be a Division I-AA school in the MVC if it were not for UP John Wefald and HCBS. He is the only reason we are in the Big XII. He has brought tremendous revenues to the FB program, the university, and the city of Manhattan.

I have no qualms with admitting he hasn't won anything of national significance other than an Alliance bowl, (old BCS), and a slew of other big bowl games, but if I were to tell you 20 years ago that Kansas State would have multiple 11 win seasons, dominate Nebraska 3 years in a row, go to 11 straight bowl games, and have national recognition for something other than being "Futility U", would you have believed me?

:)

htismaqe
11-15-2005, 02:37 PM

College football, although improving, does not have the parity of the NFL. Not every school even has a chance to win a national championship.

The fact that he even SNIFFED a NC at KANSAS STATE is a testament to how good of a coach he is...

Dartgod
11-15-2005, 02:37 PM
He restored pride in the University. He made it "cool" to go to Kansas State again. His team's success generated revenue that enhanced the University and surrounding area. He created memories of bowl trips, beating NU in '98, winning a conference championship. And he did it all with an understated class that KStaters appreciate.
Yeah, I understand that and respect him for doing so. I already addressed that.
I understand that Snyder turned around the KSU program in a big way.
But I keep hearing "Hall of Fame" mentioned. Why should he be a hall candidate, when he never made it to the big game?

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 02:39 PM
But I keep hearing "Hall of Fame" mentioned. Why should he be a hall candidate, when he never made it to the big game?
Simply for the greatest turn-around in college football history. Being a great mentor, and a great developer of student-athletes.

The CFBHOF is somewhat different than the Pro HOF, where they look at more than just win-loss records, and titles.

Dartgod
11-15-2005, 02:39 PM
dominate Nebraska 3 years in a row, :)
KSU would have never dominated NU during the Osborne era. They were already on the decline when KSU started "pwning" them.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 02:41 PM
KSU would have never dominated NU during the Osborne era. They were already on the decline when KSU started "pwning" them.
The end of the Osborne era was the beginning of KSU's greatest teams. 98, 2000, 2002, 2003. It wasn't simply a "matter of fact" thing. If Osborne was still around in 98, the results would be the same, IMO.

Dartgod
11-15-2005, 02:41 PM
Simply for the greatest turn-around in college football history. Being a great mentor, and a great developer of student-athletes.

The CFBHOF is somewhat different than the Pro HOF, where they look at more than just win-loss records, and titles.I guess I can respect that. I admit I don't know much about the College HOF.

htismaqe
11-15-2005, 02:42 PM
Yeah, I understand that and respect him for doing so. I already addressed that.

The turnaround he made at K-State is easily deserving of the HoF. You have to consider where the program was when he took over. Same for Barry Alvarez.

That being said, he'll be in the HoF for the same reason his mentor Hayden Fry is -- look at his lineage. College football is littered with head coaches who cut their teeth at K-State under Snyder.

Dartgod
11-15-2005, 02:43 PM
The end of the Osborne era was the beginning of KSU's greatest teams. 98, 2000, 2002, 2003. It wasn't simply a "matter of fact" thing. If Osborne was still around in 98, the results would be the same, IMO.
I'm not doubting that some of Snyder's best teams could have competed with NU. I'm sure they would have, but they would never have dominated them the way they did after Osborne left.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 02:45 PM
I guess I can respect that. I admit I don't know much about the College HOF.
A coach becomes eligible three years after retirement, providing he: (1) was a head coach for at least 10 years; (2) coached at least 100 games; and (3) won at least 60% of his games.

HCBS meets all 3 of those criteria.

Lurch
11-15-2005, 02:46 PM
Bill is one of the good guys. Good luck in your retirement, Mr. Snyder. Thanks for the memories.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 02:47 PM
I'm not doubting that some of Snyder's best teams could have competed with NU. I'm sure they would have, but they would never have dominated them the way they did after Osborne left.
Probably not. Osborne brought in much better athletes than Solich did, although I will always say it was very suspect on how he got them (abnormal amount of county "walk-on" scholarships). Solich did not recruit well, and it started to show in his final years. KSU never dominated NU until 02. 49-13.

Raiderhater
11-15-2005, 03:05 PM
Oh. My. God. Wow. I... I... I'm speechless.

htismaqe
11-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Probably not. Osborne brought in much better athletes than Solich did, although I will always say it was very suspect on how he got them (abnormal amount of county "walk-on" scholarships). Solich did not recruit well, and it started to show in his final years. KSU never dominated NU until 02. 49-13.

Much of that was moreso due to circumstances (ie. scholarship limits and parity) than it was to Osborne being THAT much better than Solich.

I'm not saying that Osborne wasn't way better, just that there's some things beyond Solich's control that played into it.

Coach
11-15-2005, 03:21 PM
Either Patterson or Brent Venables could be the next one in line.

jcroft
11-15-2005, 05:33 PM
Another thing you guys who aren't privy to meetings with the K-State administration might not realize is that there is a MAJOR push at the University to get rid of the acronym "KSU." "KSU" is not unique to this school -- Kent State and other school use it as well. "K-State," however is unique and is the chosen "brand name" for the University. As such, the name "KSU Stadium" was always a problem and for the past year people have discussed renaming it to "K-State Stadium" or something similar.

The point is simply that Bill Snyder's retirement is not the ONLY reason the stadium is being renamed -- it was going to be, anyway. It just gave the school a convienent (and totally appropriate) way to rename it.

Another funny tidbit from today at work (again, I work at K-State): The Collegian (student newspaper) had the following headline today:

"SYNDER TO ANNOUNCE RETIREMENT."

Read it again. I swear to God. Pathetic.

jcroft
11-15-2005, 05:51 PM

Another reason that hasn't been mentioned yet is that he's been national coach of the year three times. I have no idea how many other people have done that, but I can't imagine it's too many, and I suspect most of those who have are in the hall of fame.

HC_Chief
11-15-2005, 05:57 PM
Either Patterson or Brent Venables could be the next one in line.

Venables would be a great signing IMO

Skip Towne
11-15-2005, 06:43 PM
I've watched K-State football for more than 45 years. And they were perennially horrid. There was even talk of dropping football at one point. Besides Snyder, the only glimmer of hope K-State had was the "Lynn Dickey Era" with Vince Gibson as the coach. What Snyder did was nothing short of miraculous. It will be interesting to see if the next guy is able to get blue chip players to come to that barren wasteland. Many have tried but only Snyder has succeeded.

jcroft
11-15-2005, 06:45 PM
I've watched K-State football for more than 45 years. And they were perennially horrid. There was even talk of dropping football at one point. Besides Snyder, the only glimmer of hope K-State had was the "Lynn Dickey Era" with Vince Gibson as the coach. What Snyder did was nothing short of miraculous. It will be interesting to see if the next guy is able to get blue chip players to come to that barren wasteland. Many have tried but only Snyder has succeeded.

Barren wasteland? I lived in Topeka for 10 years (where you are apparently are) before moving to Manhattan a year ago. In my opinion, Manhattan has a LOT more to offer than Topeka, especially for young people.

I guess if you compare it to Austin or something, it's sort of pathetic, but Manhattan has been booming over the past four years or so and certainly is shaping up to be a pretty nice little college town.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 06:47 PM
Skip,

I wouldn't say Snyder gets blue chip players. Most of the players he does get aren't highly rated by recruiting services (Rivals, Scout). Darren Sproles, Terrance Newman, and Terry Pierce immediately come to mind. They were all rated 1* or 2* by both those recruiting services. I believed Snyder just got the most out of his players, like a good coach should.

Snyder wasn't the only mastermind behind the "turnaround". University President Jon Wefald also helped quite a bit in getting people to care about football at Kansas State.

I think now that the facilities, tradition, and boosters are "in place", fans can look forward to future success. Hopefully we get the right guy to hand it over too.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 06:50 PM
Barren wasteland? I lived in Topeka for 10 years (where you are apparently are) before moving to Manhattan a year ago. In my opinion, Manhattan has a LOT more to offer than Topeka, especially for young people.

I guess if you compare it to Austin or something, it's sort of pathetic, but Manhattan has been booming over the past four years or so and certainly is shaping up to be a pretty nice little college town.
I agree. I've been to quite a few college towns, and Manhattan isn't that bad. I'd rather live in Manhattan than Topeka for the reasons you stated. (BTW, Skip lives in Tulsa, not Topeka).

Bill Snyder has helped Manhattan out quite a bit. My parents went to their first KSU football game since the 80's last year, and all they could say was "Wow...". It has grown BECAUSE of the success of the football program.

The rapid expansion of Fort Riley (happening right now) will only further benefit Hat Town.

DJay23
11-15-2005, 07:54 PM
Hopefully Mangino can take advantage and make sure the best players in Kansas go to the CORRECT school to play their football.

Spott
11-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Hopefully Mangino can take advantage and make sure the best players in Kansas go to the CORRECT school to play their football.

Or they'll end up going to Nebraska like they used to.

andoman
11-15-2005, 07:59 PM
Sorry Saul I guess this is pretty hard news for a Kstate fan of your passion.

As I am a Kstate fan I am a fan of all KANSAS schools that do well so him leaving means that we have a chance to get someone in here that can carry on the legacy and do even MORE for Kstate.

j/k

Bandwagon
noun

To join, or show interest in, an activity or movement that is fashionable or likely to succeed and in which one previously had no interest, especially to do so for the sake of personal gain or to improve one's public image.

ROFL

alanm
11-15-2005, 08:01 PM

The CFBHOF is somewhat different than the Pro HOF, where they look at more than just win-loss records, and titles.
I think it had more to do with the Asst's on his staff who were good recruiters. And most of those guys are gone now. You can be the best HC in the world, but if the talent isn't there you're still going to lose. I think that, more than anything is why KS has dropped off the past couple of years. Same with the Huskers.

alanm
11-15-2005, 08:03 PM
Not a chance. You're whistling in the wind Saul. :shake:

Spott
11-15-2005, 08:04 PM
Bandwagon
noun

To join, or show interest in, an activity or movement that is fashionable or likely to succeed and in which one previously had no interest, especially to do so for the sake of personal gain or to improve one's public image.

Sounds like every Notre Dame & Dallas Cowboy fan that I have ever met.

alanm
11-15-2005, 08:07 PM
Or they'll end up going to Nebraska like they used to.
Nah.. We get them from Missouri now. :)

Spott
11-15-2005, 08:10 PM
Nah.. We get them from Missouri now. :)

That would probably explain why NU is getting beat by the likes of MU & KU. :)

Imon Yourside
11-15-2005, 08:18 PM
I guess Mangino and Snyder really do hate each other. I didn't see any quotes from him.

alanm
11-15-2005, 08:25 PM
That would probably explain why NU is getting beat by the likes of MU & KU. :)
You could be right. ROFL

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 08:47 PM
The problem is ,there aren't that many good players coming out of Kansas. The key to recruiting in the Big XII is the state of Texas.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 08:48 PM
I guess Mangino and Snyder really do hate each other. I didn't see any quotes from him.
A bunch more have been added.

MARK MANGINO, HEAD COACH at the UNIVERSITY OF KANSAS
"Coach Snyder has set a standard of excellence in college coaching that serves as a model for all of us. He has impacted the lives of many people, including mine. I'm proud to have served on his staff for eight memorable seasons. Mary Jane and I wish him a happy and healthy retirement. He has certainly earned it."

http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=400&ATCLID=213203

Hawkeye fans will appreciate this one:

KIRK FERENTZ, HEAD COACH at THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA
“First and foremost, when I came to Iowa in 1981 as a young assistant, Bill was the one who really taught me a great deal about football. He has always been very good to me in my career.

“I don’t mean this in an offensive way but it was just a terrible football environment when we played there in 1988. I thought maybe he was a little left of center when he accepted the job. I am not sure anyone in the country that could have done what Bill has done in terms of building that program. To become a great football environment and one where the players’ expectation level is high is a great achievement. He had a lot of unprecedented success. It is a real tribute to Bill’s commitment, expectation and will-power. It is just a remarkable job and I am just amazed at what he has done and wish him nothing but the best in his retirement.”

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 08:49 PM
Not a chance. You're whistling in the wind Saul. :shake:
So automatically Solich taking over made them a worse team in 98? I somehow doubt that. FS did take them to the title game in 01. When he ran out of TO's players (02) is when he really started to get his ass whipped. 62-36 by the puffs started it all.

Raiderhater
11-15-2005, 09:55 PM
http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArt...0&ATCLID=213203

Reading all of those statements, I nearly teared up.

ChiTown
11-15-2005, 10:29 PM
I'm numb right now.

I have a lot of very close contacts inside the KSU Program. Every one of them, to a man, was absolutely shocked to hear about his retirement.

However, after listening to his reasons, I respect and appreciate the fact that he did this for the betterment of the Program.

Thanks, Coach. You have been and tremendous representative for the University, and a very giving man with your time, talents, and money.

:deevee:

WilliamTheIrish
11-16-2005, 01:03 AM
The Collegian (student newspaper) had the following headline today:

"SYNDER TO ANNOUNCE RETIREMENT."

Read it again. I swear to God. Pathetic.

Hilarious

WilliamTheIrish
11-16-2005, 01:44 AM
I'm numb right now.

I have a lot of very close contacts inside the KSU Program. Every one of them, to a man, was absolutely shocked to hear about his retirement.

However, after listening to his reasons, I respect and appreciate the fact that he did this for the betterment of the Program.

Thanks, Coach. You have been and tremendous representative for the University, and a very giving man with your time, talents, and money.

:deevee:

It's funny... I'm not sad. Or numb.

I have been a lifetime fan of what was once the worst college football program. It took a a while after Steve Miller hired him, but first it was beating Northern Iowa on CJ Masters returning an INT for two points for a victory.

Then it was Paul Watson tossing up that prayer that landed in the arms of Andre Coleman to beat KU and Glenn Mason, then it was the Copper Bowl. Then the Cotton Bowl. Beating Nebraska. Having our hearts cut out in St Louie. Losing the Big 12 CCG to the land thieves on the coldest damn night in 00.

Then FINALLY..... FINALLY..... the mountain top. Pounding the land thieves in Arrowhead.

I can't be sad when I realize what the guy did for my favorite school.

Saulbadguy
11-16-2005, 07:54 AM
Reading all of those statements, I nearly teared up.
http://www.kstatesports.com/

On the right hand side, you can watch his press conference video for free. Try keeping a dry eye.

htismaqe
11-16-2005, 08:25 AM
I'm hoping Bill will stay involved with the game, like Hayden has...

ChiTown
11-16-2005, 08:31 AM
Originally, I had given my tickets away for this game because we were supposed to be out of town. Now, I just found out yesterday, that we aren't going to go because my in-laws are coming in on Friday instead of Monday. Great. I don't get to go to the game, I can't watch it on TV and I get to spend Bill Snyders last game sitting at home with with my In-Laws. FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK!

KCFalcon59
11-16-2005, 08:33 AM
http://www.kstatesports.com/

On the right hand side, you can watch his press conference video for free. Try keeping a dry eye.

I watched it last night. Choked me up a few times. He is a class act. Some of the reporters were idiots though. Snyder is class. That is for certain.

Saulbadguy
11-16-2005, 08:33 AM
It will be a dissapointment if the stadium isn't full. I'm planning on being dissapointed. :shake:

Really, nothing short of personal injury will keep me from being there a couple hours early.

greg63
11-16-2005, 08:38 AM
I watched it last night. Choked me up a few times. He is a class act. Some of the reporters were idiots though. Snyder is class. That is for certain.
Sad but true, as long as we have reporters we will have idiots.
:banghead:

jcroft
11-16-2005, 01:07 PM
From today's "Campus Fourum," a write/call-in section of the student newspaper (Collegian) for people to voice their thoughts:

"Whew! At first I thought Bill Snyder was retiring! Thank God it's only Synder...we didn't really need him anyway."

Saulbadguy
11-16-2005, 01:13 PM
Yeah, the Collegian pretty much sucks.

WilliamTheIrish
11-17-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally, I had given my tickets away for this game because we were supposed to be out of town. Now, I just found out yesterday, that we aren't going to go because my in-laws are coming in on Friday instead of Monday. Great. I don't get to go to the game, I can't watch it on TV and I get to spend Bill Snyders last game sitting at home with with my In-Laws. FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK!

Bummer.

This new job has me tied up every weekend for the next year. It was my hope that the Big 12 would televise this game so I could see Snyder's last game.

At this time there is no television.

Guess I'll buy it on Powercat Passport.

Coach
11-17-2005, 06:13 PM
Sucks to hear about that ChiTown, and WTI.

Saul, you goin?

I'll be heading up there as well.

Saulbadguy
11-17-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm there. I'll be in the student section, somewhere.

Coach
11-17-2005, 07:30 PM
Heh, cool.

I'll probably be at one of the endzone seats. Not sure where exactly yet.

WilliamTheIrish
11-17-2005, 08:02 PM
Enjoy it gents.... (expletive) I want to be there..

Saulbadguy
11-17-2005, 08:03 PM
I'll try and get pictures.

Saulbadguy
11-17-2005, 09:38 PM
So...ChiTown, any word on who the favorite is to replace him?

I'm hearing alot about BV, but i'm not so sure I want him. I'd rather have Leavitt or Patterson...:shrug:

leviw
11-17-2005, 10:01 PM
99% chance it will be one of the three. But, I think you're in the K-State fan minority when you say you're not sure if you want BV....why not? Just curious.

Saulbadguy
11-17-2005, 10:02 PM
No HC experience. Thats really only knock on him.

Saulbadguy
11-17-2005, 10:05 PM
Oh...and I really can't wait until next year. New HC, renovated Vaniers complex with permanent seating, new jumbotrons, sound system (maybe)..it's gonna be awesome.

Coach
11-17-2005, 10:08 PM

Same thing to Bill in 1988.

Saulbadguy
11-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Same thing to Bill in 1988.
I know, I know. :shrug: But in 89, how could have we have hired a coach with D-1 experience, who hadn't been fired recently?

Coach
11-17-2005, 10:10 PM
Oh...and I really can't wait until next year. New HC, renovated Vaniers complex with permanent seating, new jumbotrons, sound system (maybe)..it's gonna be awesome.

Not to mention that they'll put in a new hydrotherapy treatment area on the complex.

http://kstate.nmn.speedera.net/pics15/0/OD/ODQKXBRNZFAKTVK.20051117160524.jpg

http://kstate.nmn.speedera.net/pics21/0/ES/ESGBUVXNVDNTHVM.20051117160502.jpg

http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=400&ATCLID=213583

leviw
11-17-2005, 10:11 PM

I just don't see Leavitt wanting to leave USF. I think he's having a Snyder-esque experience there. Obviously on a smaller scale, but still, if he stays his fingerprints will be forever ingrained there...as Snyder's are here.

I honestly think BV would be a great fit. A young, vibrant personality for, what I think, is a young and potentially good team. No matter who it is, it's going to take some time to gell and get used to somebody new. That's why I don't think BV's lack of head coaching experience isn't a big drawback. The two--players and coach--will learn together.

Plus, he's a K-State guy. Snyder will give his blessing, and I'm sure Weiser and Wefald will both be fine with it.

The big drawback is, I don't think the K-State job is top of the line. Meaning, if he has success in his first 2-3 years...See Ya, Brent. And then, you're right back where you started.

Coach
11-17-2005, 10:12 PM
I know, I know. :shrug: But in 89, how could have we have hired a coach with D-1 experience, who hadn't been fired recently?

I have no idea. I guess it was the right time, right people, at the right place.

WilliamTheIrish
11-17-2005, 11:46 PM
The big drawback is, I don't think the K-State job is top of the line. Meaning, if he has success in his first 2-3 years...See Ya, Brent. And then, you're right back where you started.

That's life. We had a guy who gave 17 years.

If our problem becomes finding a coach to continue success.... that's a problem I'm okay with.

[as long as he can recruit texas and Oklahoma]