View Full Version : Missouri upset in season opener

Boyceofsummer
11-15-2005, 12:41 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/13168909.htm

Posted on Mon, Nov. 14, 2005

Missouri upset in season opener

By MIKE DeARMOND

The Kansas City Star

COLUMBIA — Belmont and Davidson came early this season for Missouri basketball.

Sam Houston State, in the first game of a seventh season that could be Quin Snyder’s last with the Tigers, knocked off the Tigers 80-77.

“Obviously,” Snyder said, “if we play like this its going to be an awfully long season.”

Forget that second-round Preseason NIT game the Tigers anticipated playing host to Thursday night at Mizzou Arena. Forget spending Thanksgiving in New York with an anticipated NIT semifinal against No. 1 Duke.

And forget the 32 straight home openers Missouri had won dating to 1973.

Try to forget that this MU basketball team couldn’t hang with a Southland Conference team it had an entire off-season to prepare for. Upset? Well, yes, of the same proportions as the game Missouri lost to Davidson here last season that had Jimmy McKinney screaming at his teammates. And yes, just like Belmont two seasons back, when Tigers fans in Shreveport, La. — where the football team was playing in the Independence Bowl — flooded out of a bar in disbelief at another mammoth MU hoops pratfall.

This was one of those nights.

“I think it’s reflective of us not accepting who we are,” Snyder said of the implication that Missouri took this opponent lightly. “And frankly I’m really surprised by that in light of what these guys have been through.

“I’m shocked that we don’t understand that. I thought that’s something that would be burned on our heart, the lessons about how much energy we have to play with.”

In one sense Missouri lost this game because a redheaded Bearkat sophomore named Ryan Bright (his coach calls him Opie) hit six of seven three-point shots and scored 28 points.

Missouri led 59-58 when Bright hit a three from the left of the key with 5 minutes, 5 seconds left that put Sam Houston State up 61-59. Another three by the Bearkats’ Jejuan Plair — his only one of the night — put Missouri in a 64-59 hole.

Thomas Gardner, who led MU with 23 points, and Marshall Brown, who had 20, kept Missouri within striking distance down the stretch.

Gardner hit a lane drive that got Missouri within 64-63, and then again attacked the rim and scored to pull MU within 66-65.

When Brown hit a lane jumper, was fouled and hit the bonus, Missouri had tied at 68-68 with 2:08 to play.

But then Bright was left open and drained another three from the left wing, and Sam Houston State got an inside bucket for a 73-68 bulge.

Bright and Gardner traded threes, then Gardner again connected on a three-pointer and pulled MU within 76-74 with 23.8 seconds to play.

Jimmy McKinney was forced to foul the Bearkats’ Chris Jordan, and Jordan hit both shots, putting MU in a 78-74 hole.

McKinney, at the other end, rose up from the right corner and the ball slipped out of his hands, over his head, and out of bounds. But after a pair of Plair free throws, McKinney hammered home a three with 7.5 seconds to play.

And when Plair missed two free throws and Brown rebounded for Missouri, the Tigers had one last gasp.

Jason Horton took it, forcing up a three from traffic on the right wing — and missed.

At one point in the first half Missouri trailed by 10. But the Tigers appeared to have righted themselves, and with 8:37 left in the game Missouri led 55-50.

Missouri got it to the rim most of the night. But the Tigers couldn’t put the basketball through the rim once they were there.

Kevin Young, MU’s starting center, hit only one of five shots. And except for Brown and Gardner, most of the other MU players had problems putting down point-blank shots most of the night.

“We played bad,” Young said. “Flat, we played bad.”

Brown added: “We took it for granted that we were going to come in here and win. That didn’t happened.”

The only Bright spot was on the other team, quite literally.

“I’ve never shot like that in my life before,” said Bright, who actually was the Southland Conference’s freshman of the year last season.

For Missouri it was another evening of infamy.

Like Belmont. Like Davidson.

Boyceofsummer
11-15-2005, 12:43 AM
Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha!

Dunit35
11-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Snyder's gone!

Frazod
11-15-2005, 12:45 AM
Anything that gets rid of that asshat Snyder works for me. That pretty much goes for Stinkel, too. :shake:

Boyceofsummer
11-15-2005, 01:00 AM
MU!

Screw Snyder and the Mild Cats!

CoMoChief
11-15-2005, 01:09 AM
Mizzou will suck this year. This team simply does not have a consistant scorer or leader, nor does it have any big men at all worthy of playing Big 12 conference ball. Kalem Grimes is a joke. Kevin Young is Kevin Young and I need not to say more. McKinney in my opinion would have been alot better of a player had he gone somewhere else and played ball. The guy was simply amazing at Vashon in high school. Thomas Gardner is the only real threat MU has this season. More than likely Quin will be gone after this season as MU won't even make th NIT.

Spicy McHaggis
11-15-2005, 01:13 AM
Opie tamed the Tiggers. Classic.

Simplex3
11-15-2005, 01:36 AM
ROFL

How does that asshat make it 7 freaking years as HC? Doesn't MU have ANY pride? It's obvious that none of the players respect Quinn.

Demonpenz
11-15-2005, 01:52 AM
time for snyder to go to rehab again

siberian khatru
11-15-2005, 07:08 AM
Anybody else hear that Quin's banging Paige Laurie?

the Talking Can
11-15-2005, 07:09 AM
awesome....is it true Quinn's contract pays in coke?

Skip Towne
11-15-2005, 07:21 AM
Sad situation. They really need rid of Snyder.

NLU Tailgater
11-15-2005, 07:33 AM
As requested on Big 12 media day, please refer to Quin as "Coach Snyder." Not Quin! He has been in the league 7 years now, and would like to be called Coach. Give him the respect he doesn't deserve!!!!!!!!!!

I love it.

Mr. Kotter
11-15-2005, 07:37 AM
:spock:

Wow. :shake:

RP_McMurphy
11-15-2005, 08:28 AM
Biggest question is will Mizzou wean itself off the Wal Mart bucks and fire Quinn or will they keep Quinn around to keep the Wal Mart bucks? Right now the AD doesn't have power it's in the Wal Mart bucks.

Lzen
11-15-2005, 08:35 AM
Isn't this "early season loss to a doormat" an annual event for Mizzou?

Perhaps I should put the Sam Houston logo in my sig. :D

Sully
11-15-2005, 09:30 AM
I watched the game and actually liked what I saw out of the Tigers. They are young, so they make a lot of mistakes, but after the dismal offenses of the past few years, it was nice to see some actual movement on the offensve end with and without the ball. Their defense down low was good, too... in flashes. It looked like they were trying tobe quick to get the steal and taking charges.
If they get a big man (or if, as I think, Lyons turns out to be a pretty good forward) then they could be a pretty good team next year. This year, though throught he first few games it looks like they are playing with a ot of tenacity, I think they will make too many mistakes and it will cost them a lot of games.

Eleazar
11-15-2005, 09:35 AM
I watched the game and actually liked what I saw out of the Tigers. They are young, so they make a lot of mistakes, but after the dismal offenses of the past few years, it was nice to see some actual movement on the offensve end with and without the ball. Their defense down low was good, too... in flashes. It looked like they were trying tobe quick to get the steal and taking charges.
If they get a big man (or if, as I think, Lyons turns out to be a pretty good forward) then they could be a pretty good team next year. This year, though throught he first few games it looks like they are playing with a ot of tenacity, I think they will make too many mistakes and it will cost them a lot of games.

Yeah, I didn't think they looked too bad. The team is a bunch of freshmen and sophomores, so you just look for improvement as the year goes on.

They moved the ball around and it looked almost like a real offense. They were not lazy on defense like they had been in the whole Snyder era, they looked quick and active. Like you say, they don't really have any size, and I'm not sure where the scoring is going to come from until some people mature. But it's a group of players who could mature into a good team.

Obviously in a power basketball conference it's going to be tough for such a young team to win a lot of games, but hopefully they'll be better in February than they are now and give us something to look forward to.

I guess Boyceofdumber didn't see there was already a pile-on thread. The obsession with Missouri continues...

Mr. Kotter
11-15-2005, 09:35 AM
Isn't this "early season loss to a doormat" an annual event for Mizzou?

Perhaps I should put the Sam Houston logo in my sig. :D

Eh, they'll just respond with...

BUCKNELL!!!

:rolleyes:

HC_Chief
11-15-2005, 09:36 AM
Can't help but laugh :D

the Talking Can
11-15-2005, 09:38 AM
Yeah, I didn't think they looked too bad. The team is a bunch of freshmen and sophomores, so you just look for improvement as the year goes on.

They moved the ball around and it looked almost like a real offense. They were not lazy on defense like they had been in the whole Snyder era, they looked quick and active. Like you say, they don't really have any size, and I'm not sure where the scoring is going to come from until some people mature. But it's a group of players who could mature into a good team.

Obviously in a power basketball conference it's going to be tough for such a young team to win a lot of games, but hopefully they'll be better in February than they are now and give us something to look forward to.

I guess Boyceofdumber didn't see there was already a pile-on thread. The obsession with Missouri continues...

hasn't MU used the "we're young we'll be good next year" excuse for 5-6 years straight?

Lzen
11-15-2005, 09:39 AM

BUCKNELL!!!

Yeah, that's why I said perhaps I should put a Sam Houston State logo in my sig. There is still a Mizzou fan on this bb (KcMizzou?) with that Bucknell logo in his sig.

Eleazar
11-15-2005, 09:39 AM

BUCKNELL!!!

Hey, lots of teams lose to #14 seeds.

Eleazar
11-15-2005, 09:41 AM
hasn't MU used the "we're young we'll be good next year" excuse for 5-6 years straight?

I didn't say we'd be good next year, I just said we were young.

If you're looking for a Snyder apologist you're talking to the wrong guy :shake:

Mr. Kotter
11-15-2005, 09:42 AM

If the coach is committed to a system that is ill-suited to his players, they do. Self's a good coach, but he's also stubborn.

Sully
11-15-2005, 10:06 AM
Yeah...I''m not a huge Snyder fan, due to the fact that few players have improved under his watch, and the team has frankly been boring to watch, with no movement, etc...
But what I've seen 3 games in I'm liking.

duncan_idaho
11-15-2005, 10:17 AM
Typical Missouri loss to a small-time team... as usual, there was one 6-6 white guy that drained 3s all night long. The one he hit to seal the win was a tough shot—25-footer, off balance... but he WAS wide wide open.

Snyder does appear to have finally implemented an offense based upon movement and passing, so that's at least one encouraging sign. We'll see if thet stick with that.

Now if he could just get his team to start talking on defense, especially on switches, they might break .500.

Oh, and any team that wants to beat Missouri should just run pick-and-rolls with the man Kevin Young is guarding... that worthless piece of crap can't move, and I'm tired of watching his man pop out and hit threes as Young flails towards him, too late to affect the shot...

gblowfish
11-15-2005, 10:56 AM
Hey, we came within three of upsetting powerhouse red headed stepchild Sammie Houston.

Quin'll just go back to the condo, snort an 8-ball with Plaige and chase her around the basement. What the Hell does he care? He's gettin paid, he's gettin laid.

I miss Norm more and more every year.

DJJasonp
11-15-2005, 10:56 AM

Again....at least we (KU) made the tourney......and every year at that (minus probation year).

Man...this MU debacle would be more funny.....if it didnt happen every freakin' year!

beavis
11-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Again....at least we (KU) made the tourney......and every year at that (minus probation year).

Man...this MU debacle would be more funny.....if it didnt happen every freakin' year!
Did you get a trophy for 48th place?

David.
11-15-2005, 11:07 AM
This season is going to suck, but we're young and (hopefully) will improve.

God I hope Quinn gets fired before I graduate :(

Extra Point
11-15-2005, 11:17 AM
Snyder is saving his hate for Nov. 29. I'm saving mine, too. After the game, it would be said during the Quin Snyder show, "Well, it always helps to build confidence. We really needed that one."

Funny, I hope we need it more.

Imon Yourside
11-15-2005, 11:28 AM

Yeah it's the end of the world, Arizona has done this 3 times since 1991 and Carolina once as well. Somehow it just doesn't affect me anymore, last year ended the way it had to end.

redfan
11-15-2005, 11:40 AM
Typical MU defense: pick one player (usu. the guy on fire), and don't guard him. Kevin Young has no business playing in the B12.
MU seems to have upped their number of off. sets to about 5, with 3 of them being some variation of "clear out and let a 1,2 or 3 create off the dribble". MU has zero inside game.

DJJasonp
11-15-2005, 11:50 AM
Did you get a trophy for 48th place?

No, but we got a share of the $.....and obviously it didnt hurt recruiting one bit.

Sure-Oz
11-15-2005, 12:28 PM
What a joke, Snyder shouldve been canned after that game.

gblowfish
11-15-2005, 01:05 PM
Back in August it was reported in the KC Star that Quin and his wife Helen had started divorce proceedings. Not sure if its final yet or not. But there's also been rumors that Quin has been boinkin' Plage Laurie. Hey dump your wife and kid for a billion-heirese who's ten years younger than the old lady?
Plage is a fatter, homlier, yet potentially richer blonde airhead version of Paris Hilton. Maybe she promised to buy Quinnie the Denver Nuggets when Daddy croaks off. The whole thing is so Tony Peña-esque...I need a shower!

Hitman1
11-15-2005, 01:34 PM
Both Quinn and Pinkel should go in one package out of Columbia.

ROYC75
11-15-2005, 01:36 PM
Naw, this was an annual MU ritual...... losing to a weaker opponet.

Saulbadguy
11-15-2005, 01:38 PM
Belmont, Davidson, Sam Houston State.

Well, at least they got this one out of the way early.