PDA

View Full Version : NFL approves Super bowl for KC!!

Mr. Laz
11-16-2005, 12:25 PM
within the next 10 year period IF and only IF the stadium gets climate control. (ie roof or a retractable roof)

prolly super bowl 49 or 51st (skipping the landmark 50th, i guess)

cmh6476
11-16-2005, 12:27 PM
sweet, get er dunn

stevieray
Lamar deserves it. Saddens me to think he won't make it long enough to see it.

FloridaMan88
Better start expanding that airport now

ferrarispider95
I dont want a roof, retractable is pushing it, but dont really want any.

cmh6476
11-16-2005, 12:29 PM

A roof would be swell. It will cover arrowhead or kauffman. No more rainouts at the K. And it's not like they'd be covering arrowhead just because of inclement weather on gameday, I would hope...

ETA: It would be a mobile roof on tracks from the parking lot that could move to cover either stadium...

ChiefsFan4Life
11-16-2005, 12:29 PM
I may be in the minority here, but I'd actually rather continue to not have a shot at getting a Super Bowl in KC if it means not doing anything like that to the stadium.

Mr. Laz
11-16-2005, 12:30 PM

they didn't say a permanent roof ... just "climate control"

so a retractable would work

Lurch
11-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Excellent news, if it turns out to be true.

Black Jack Savage
11-16-2005, 12:35 PM
If they fix the concourses and do some Soldier-field type renovations, is there anyway that they could retrofit a retractable roof on Arrowhead since the Royals have seemed kind of nonplussed about it?

Brock
11-16-2005, 12:36 PM
Huh - Never thought I'd see that.

KCTitus
11-16-2005, 12:40 PM
The prize to upgrade the stadium...Would be cool to see.

Garcia Bronco
11-16-2005, 12:41 PM
The prize to upgrade the stadium...Would be cool to see.

That's exactly what it is.

Rain Man
11-16-2005, 12:46 PM
A roof would be swell. It will cover arrowhead or kauffman. No more rainouts at the K. And it's not like they'd be covering arrowhead just because of inclement weather on gameday, I would hope...

ETA: It would be a mobile roof on tracks from the parking lot that could move to cover either stadium...

That would be an interesting sight.

ferrarispider95
11-16-2005, 12:48 PM
and we can call it ghetto roof

cmh6476
11-16-2005, 12:48 PM
That would be an interesting sight.
The design was in the original plans for the complex, the roof just never came to fruition. Suppossedly, ther are tracks in the parking lot specifically for this.

greg63
11-16-2005, 12:50 PM
Great news! :thumb:

Katipan
11-16-2005, 12:50 PM
yay.

see? that wasn't hard.

sedated
11-16-2005, 12:55 PM
Better start expanding that airport now

along with parking, hotels, entertainment ... everything

htismaqe
11-16-2005, 01:04 PM
No it wasn't hard.

Getting the voters to approve it...THAT will be hard.

Mr. Laz
11-16-2005, 01:08 PM
No it wasn't hard.

Getting the voters to approve it...THAT will be hard.

sounds like to me that the Hunts have guaranteed a roof regardless

first option - voter money
2nd option - private money
3rd option - Hunt money

i don't think the NFL would approve the super bowl before the voters approved anything unless the Hunts gave assurances of their own.

htismaqe
11-16-2005, 01:12 PM

2nd option - private money
3rd option - Hunt money

i don't think the NFL would approve the super bowl before the voters approved anything unless the Hunts gave assurances of their own.

That would be great news, if true. Plus, if the Hunt throws out to the public that he's willing to shell out his own money, in reality that increases the chances that he'll HAVE to shell out as much of his own money (ie. taxpayers will be more willing to vote for it if they think Hunt will pitch in)...

Mark M
11-16-2005, 01:17 PM
along with parking, hotels, entertainment ... everything

That will be a huge issue. KC's large geographically, and they'll have to have people spred out all over the place -- up north, out by the speedway, JoCo ...

It's be a freaking madhouse. And I'll believe it once they actually announce that KC is the host of SuperBowl 49.

MM
~~:shurg:

StcChief
11-16-2005, 01:19 PM
If they fix the concourses and do some Soldier-field type renovations, is there anyway that they could retrofit a retractable roof on Arrowhead since the Royals have seemed kind of nonplussed about it?

That's because Glass want to move down town....or Portland.

Mr. Laz
11-16-2005, 01:19 PM
That's because Glass want to move down town....or Portland.
link?

Rausch
11-16-2005, 01:21 PM

If our politicians don't get something worked out the Chiefs might not be here to see it...

HolmeZz
11-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Can they guarantee we'll be in it?

Extra Point
11-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Season Ticket Lottery for 20 sets of 4 seats, $50 a pop?

HemiEd
11-16-2005, 01:51 PM

Agreed, hopefully the date is set before he passes.

KC Kings
11-16-2005, 01:52 PM
The design was in the original plans for the complex, the roof just never came to fruition. Suppossedly, ther are tracks in the parking lot specifically for this.

I have jogged over 500 miles around the stadiums, and I have never seen such tracks.

chiefqueen
11-16-2005, 01:54 PM

The next NFL commish may be a Bud Selig type who would not let us close the roof to gain a competitive advantage, however.

vailpass
11-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Wow. Jacksonville with snow. With a 10 year head start maybe KC can do some things to prevent a repeat of the J-ville fiasco.

Lurch
11-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Wow. Jacksonville with snow. With a 10 year head start maybe KC can do some things to prevent a repeat of the J-ville fiasco.

IIRC, I saw a graphic in the media last year about hotel and accomodation issues; KC actually already has significantly more hotel rooms, restaurants, etc than Jacksonville....

SquirrellyBastard
11-16-2005, 02:05 PM
link?

Sorry, would post the link, but I think you have to be registerd for the KC Star on-line to see it. Not sure who all is here, so I'll just post the article instead.

If Chiefs get rolling roof, KC gets Super Bowl

By RANDY COVITZ

The Kansas City Star

The National Football League today awarded Kansas City a Super Bowl during a 10-year period, contingent on the Chiefs getting a rolling roof at the Truman Sports Complex as part of a renovated and expanded Arrowhead Stadium.

The most likely dates would be Super Bowl IL in 2014 or Super Bowl LI in 2016.

The Chiefs and Royals are negotiating improvements for Arrowhead and Kauffman Stadium with Jackson County. The two teams had been seeking about $465 million in public money for their stadiums, and a referendum, likely for three-eighths of a cent sales tax increase for at least 25 years, would fund most of the work.

Chiefs chairman Clark Hunt said the roof could raise the total of the project by anywhere from $100 to $200 million. If Jackson County voters approve the refurbishments, the clubs would agree to new leases, at least for 25 years through 2031.

“The decision was clearly in recognition of the tremendous support the Kansas City Chiefs have from their fans in this area and also the role of Lamar Hunt in creating the NFL today and the history of professional football,” NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue said at a news conference at the conclusion of the league’s fall meetings at the Westin Crown Center Hotel.

Hunt, the founder of the American Football League and the Chiefs and a driving force in creating the merger with the NFL in 1966, was elated with the decision.

“This is a very happy day and in some respects a surprising day because this is an issue that we as an organization have talked about for a number of years, the concept of bidding for and requesting a Super Bowl,” Hunt said “We felt climate control was very important, and the thing we heard over and over was the public and many members of the media would like to revisit the idea of a rolling roof, which was originally designed for the complex (in 1967). Now that we’re into the 21st century, we had to get into the weather protection aspect because the original rolling roof (between Arrowhead and Royals Stadium) did not have weather protection. It had rain protection, but it did not have temperature protection that would be part of this process.”

There have been two other Super Bowls played in cold-weather cities — in 1982 at Pontiac, Mich.; in 1992 at Minneapolis; and the upcoming Super Bowl XL in Detroit.

The Chiefs are also confident an enclosed Arrowhead Stadium would attract Final Fours and other NCAA events as well as ensure Big 12 Championship football games

Red Dawg
11-16-2005, 02:15 PM
Lamar is the biggest reason why this team has not won a SB in 30 whatever years. He is not involved like other owners are. He lets King C call all the shots. Carl should have been let go when Marty stepped down. He's got more job security that an inmate making license plates. An involved owner that wants to win the SB would have tried a different GM.

Hydrae
11-16-2005, 02:20 PM
I wonder if the NFL agreed to help with some of the funding. There has been talk of them paying at least a good portion for a new stadium in LA why not throw some into keeping the Chiefs in KC?

Mr. Laz
11-16-2005, 02:22 PM
I wonder if the NFL agreed to help with some of the funding. There has been talk of them paying at least a good portion for a new stadium in LA why not throw some into keeping the Chiefs in KC?
you ready to git that arse whupped? (FFL)

:D :p

tk13
11-16-2005, 02:26 PM
The NFL has a system to help with funding new stadiums/renovations, but you have to actually vote in a renovation plan in first. I know the Colts received money not too long ago to help with their new stadium, but the NFL didn't give them cash until they voted in the stadium tax plan.

Hydrae
11-16-2005, 02:43 PM
you ready to git that arse whupped? (FFL)

:D :p

Nah, it's time for the Kings to go down and the Hero's to continue to ride their winning streak! :D

Hydrae
11-16-2005, 02:46 PM
The NFL has a system to help with funding new stadiums/renovations, but you have to actually vote in a renovation plan in first. I know the Colts received money not too long ago to help with their new stadium, but the NFL didn't give them cash until they voted in the stadium tax plan.

But you can't put together a package and know how much to ask the voters for if you don't know how much will be kicked in. Otherwise what do you do with the sudden windfall from the league if everything is already financed? Give a rebate to the taxpayers? ROFL

BigChiefFan
11-16-2005, 02:53 PM
This is GREAT NEWS!!!! I sure hope the plans work out for all sides.

jynni
11-16-2005, 02:56 PM
Otherwise what do you do with the sudden windfall from the league if everything is already financed?

I dunno - put golden toilets on the club level :shrug:

BigRedChief
11-16-2005, 02:57 PM
Lamar wants a rolling roof for Arrowhead. It will happen.

Does anyone think for a second that we could possibly be getting a Super Bowl if Lamar wasn't the owner?

BigRedChief
11-16-2005, 02:58 PM
and another question? Do season ticket holders get a right to buy Super Bowl tickets?

beavis
11-16-2005, 03:04 PM
and another question? Do season ticket holders get a right to buy Super Bowl tickets?
If the Chiefs make the Super Bowl, they only get something around 2,000 tickets to disperse to season ticket holders, so I highly doubt it.

tk13
11-16-2005, 03:09 PM
But you can't put together a package and know how much to ask the voters for if you don't know how much will be kicked in. Otherwise what do you do with the sudden windfall from the league if everything is already financed? Give a rebate to the taxpayers? ROFL
It's a set system based on market value. The bigger your market is the more money you get... so the Chiefs wouldn't get as much as a lot of other teams. I imagined it'd be included in whatever dollar # Lamar throws out there from his end.

Lzen
11-16-2005, 03:28 PM
KANSAS CITY AWARDED SUPER BOWL
Nov 16, 2005, 2:40:04 PM

Game contingent on renovations to Arrowhead

The NFL’s Super Bowl – considered to be among the most prestigious sporting events in the world – is coming to Kansas City. Today, in a vote taken at the fall session of the league’s annual meeting, NFL owners passed a proposal to bring the NFL’s championship game to Kansas City in a year between 2012 and 2021. The actual date will be at the discretion of the National Football League. NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue announced the passing of the proposal in Kansas City early this afternoon.

“We are very grateful for the action taken by the membership of the National Football League,” said Chiefs founder Lamar Hunt, who made the proposal to the membership, but was quick to pay tribute to the work of many people in the organization to bring the Super Bowl here including his son Clark, the organization’s Chairman of the Board, Vice Chairman of the Board Jack Steadman and Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson. “There’s a lot of work to be done, but the foresight of the membership on this matter is much appreciated.”

sbkc

The awarding of the Super Bowl was contingent on two key elements, said Hunt. Arrowhead Stadium, which opened in ‘72 and is one of the oldest stadiums in the NFL now, must be renovated and would include a climate-controlling “Rolling Roof” structure. The awarding of a Super Bowl would also require the city and the team to meet all the bid specifications laid out by the league.

A renovated Arrowhead will feature the largest seating capacity of any modern Super Bowl site and “the state-of-the-art Rolling Roof is unprecedented by the league and the roof structure will be an icon for Kansas City and the entire National Football League,” Hunt said. Moreover, the 300-acre Truman Sports Complex will allow for an efficient atmosphere of game day hospitality that has become a staple of all Super Bowls, including a Corporate Hospitality village, The NFL Tailgate Party and ample parking for more than 20,000 vehicles. Hunt indicated that the city and team will know the date for a Kansas City Super Bowl approximately five years in advance of the actual date. The construction schedule for the renovation and completion of the “Rolling Roof” is expected to be completed by the 2010 NFL season.

Plans to include a “Rolling Roof” over Arrowhead were included in the original plans for the stadium prior to its construction in the early ‘70s. “During my 17 years here in Kansas City I heard many times from Lamar Hunt about the original architectural design of a “Rolling Roof,’” Peterson remembered. “I think it extremely appropriate and well-deserving that Lamar’s fellow owners have awarded the city a Super Bowl. No one is more deserving than Lamar and his family, but I also want to say that it is a reflection of the National Football League and its ownership that they respect the loyalty, the participation and the involvement of the Kansas City Chiefs fans and the support they’ve given this franchise through the years. This community is deserving of this.”

The Chiefs are currently in negotiations with the Jackson County Sports Authority to extend the team’s lease at Arrowhead to 25 years, as part of an extensive renovation of the stadium that will include the Rolling Roof structure to provide a climate-controlled facility.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/media/images/52787CCF82F04D998DC2029FE7C1B157.JPG?0.64107592064111

tk13
11-16-2005, 03:38 PM
That would be so... weird.... very unique.

Lzen
11-16-2005, 03:43 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how they're gonna make a rolling roof over the stadium with climate control.

wolfpack0735
11-16-2005, 03:43 PM
the super bowl in kc would be great. but as far as watching a football in under a roof, you can have it. maybe i`m old school but football was made to play outside in the weather and on grass.

Lzen
11-16-2005, 03:49 PM
I know football was meant to be played outdoors, but man, that would come in handy sometimes. That 1998 flood game against Seattle comes to mind. Or the 1995 playoff game against the Colts. It felt like Antarctica that day.

Mecca
11-16-2005, 03:52 PM
Of course as I guessed. I flipped on my radio and KK was flipping his lid over how stupid this is, and once again the Chiefs deserve no tax money.

He won't be satisfied till he runs the Chiefs out of town.......

hawkchief
11-16-2005, 03:56 PM
Clever move by greedy Carl and the Hunts to get the NFL to assist them in their negotiations with the KC taxpayers. By luring the fans with a Super Bowl, maybe now Carl & Lamar can get the city to pony up for half a billion dollars in improvements to Arrowhead and they can go on filling their pockets with KC money, while not delivering a winner.

JBucc
11-16-2005, 03:57 PM
I don't want the SB in Kansas City, cause that means we aren't in it. PLus I hate the idea of Arrowhead having a roof over it.

Mr. Laz
11-16-2005, 03:57 PM
He won't be satisfied till he runs the Chiefs out of town.......
that's not quite fair imo...

i don't think he wants the chiefs gone, i just think he wants more stuff for the Royals. In part because he works for Royals flagship radio station .... in part because the Chiefs front office treat the media/general fans like crap.

you have to admit, the arrogance of the carl/bob/rufus/vermeil is just disgusting.

Mark M
11-16-2005, 03:59 PM
Clever move by greedy Carl and the Hunts to get the NFL to assist them in their negotiations with the KC taxpayers. By luring the fans with a Super Bowl, maybe now Carl & Lamar can get the city to pony up for half a billion dollars in improvements to Arrowhead and they can go on filling their pockets with KC money, while not delivering a winner.

Wow ... someone mentions Kevin Kietzman and BAM! He shows up.

MM
~~ROFL

Mecca
11-16-2005, 04:02 PM
that's not quite fair imo...

i don't think he want the chiefs gone, i just think he wants more stuff for the Royals. In part because he works for Royals flagship radio station .... in part because the Chiefs front office treat the media/general fans like crap.

you have to admit, the arrogance of the carl/bob/rufus/vermeil is just disgusting.

If I had my way I'd give the Chiefs money and not the Royals. Football is more important to me than baseball. Also the Chiefs have a shot to compete every year in the NFL where the Royals are likely always going to be a bottom dwelling baseball team.

Brock
11-16-2005, 04:06 PM
Wow ... someone mentions Kevin Kietzman and BAM! He shows up.

MM
~~ROFL

I believe he'd call himself CatRoyal.

Mecca
11-16-2005, 04:07 PM
I believe he'd call himself CatRoyal.

I thought he'd call himself Jack Harry's bitch.......

Mr. Laz
11-16-2005, 04:14 PM
If I had my way I'd give the Chiefs money and not the Royals. Football is more important to me than baseball. Also the Chiefs have a shot to compete every year in the NFL where the Royals are likely always going to be a bottom dwelling baseball team.
i think the same way ...

but that doesn't mean KK wants the chiefs gone just because he doesn't share our preference for football.

BigRedChief
11-16-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how they're gonna make a rolling roof over the stadium with climate control.

I've seen drawings of it. It's just a rolling roof that goes over Arrowhead and then "flaps" that come down that can seal it off to keep the elements out like the cold. They can buy a heater that goes into where the tunnel is and will heat the place temporarily.

Mecca
11-16-2005, 04:18 PM
I agree that the Chiefs front office is arrogant but is KK really the guy to be holding a grudge over it? I've called his show a few times to disagree with him and all he does is talk over you and tell you that you're a moron.

He's every bit as arrogant as they are about believing they are right and you can't tell them any diferent.

Extra Point
11-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Easy. They'll have Bob Gretz speaking into the duct system.

B2chiefsfan
11-16-2005, 05:40 PM
:grovel::rockon::toast:

the Talking Can
11-16-2005, 06:05 PM
the roof could be an awesome, unique, and beautiful thing..or it could be an ugly piece of crap....if we do it we have to go all out, no penny pinching...make it something unprecedented in design...

DJay23
11-16-2005, 06:15 PM
When the NFL accepts that football is played in cold weather, and it's ok to have the championship game in such conditions, THEN KC should get a Super Bowl. Otherwise, don't put a box over my Football Cathedral!

Skip Towne
11-16-2005, 06:33 PM
When the NFL accepts that football is played in cold weather, and it's ok to have the championship game in such conditions, THEN KC should get a Super Bowl. Otherwise, don't put a box over my Football Cathedral!
It's not yours, it's mine.

BigRedChief
11-16-2005, 06:36 PM
the roof could be an awesome, unique, and beautiful thing..or it could be an ugly piece of crap....if we do it we have to go all out, no penny pinching...make it something unprecedented in design...

The designer said the bottom of the roof that faces the inside of the stadium could be one big video screen real easily.

SLAG
11-16-2005, 06:36 PM
It's not yours, it's mine.

Your Both Wrong It belongs to me

shaneo69
11-16-2005, 07:17 PM
For the money that they're talking about, they may as well just build a new retractable roof stadium to be ready by 2014.

DJay23
11-16-2005, 07:26 PM
The designer said the bottom of the roof that faces the inside of the stadium could be one big video screen real easily.
Holy hell, what happened to watching the FOOTBALL GAME! I'm so sick of there being the requirement that you have to entertain all the stupid douchebags who don't go for the game itself.

As if the idea weren't retarded enough, this tips the whole thing over.

Mr. Kotter
11-16-2005, 07:30 PM
Way to go, Lamar. :clap:

Mr. Laz
11-16-2005, 07:32 PM
For the money that they're talking about, they may as well just build a new retractable roof stadium to be ready by 2014.
it's true... for that kind of money you can build a state of the art new stadium and just bypass all the patchwork.

jspchief
11-16-2005, 08:30 PM
I'll believe it when I see it. I'm not convinced that KC can get it done in time for it to fall in the 10 year window.

And to echo Shane, we're now talking about a $3 mil renovation plus another $1.5-$2 mil roof system. Strange how last year they couldn't come up with the money to buy the car, and this year they're talking about adding leather interior and alloy wheels.

ILChief
11-16-2005, 09:37 PM
I am against a roof. I enjoy watching football being played in the rain/snow.

huskerdooz
11-16-2005, 10:04 PM
Anyone know the potential financial impact of a Super Bowl in say 10 yrs? IMO this is really something the entire metropolitan area, as well as the States of Missouri and Kansas need to work together on to get done. The financial impact won't be limited to KCMO, Jacson County and the State of Missouri so I think it's only logical to expect this to be a Bi-State project to get the stadium renovated.

Big Slick
11-16-2005, 11:24 PM

2nd option - PSL's
3rd option - private money
4th option - Hunt money

fixed your post

:)

cmh6476
11-16-2005, 11:33 PM
Anyone know the potential financial impact of a Super Bowl in say 10 yrs? IMO this is really something the entire metropolitan area, as well as the States of Missouri and Kansas need to work together on to get done. The financial impact won't be limited to KCMO, Jacson County and the State of Missouri so I think it's only logical to expect this to be a Bi-State project to get the stadium renovated.

even st joe could market their hotels (an hour from the stadium and half hour from the airport, and less congestion!)

St. Joe's chamber of commerce and the city would support it whole-heartedly :thumb: