PDA

View Full Version : Carl speaks about his latest accomplishment...

shaneo69
11-16-2005, 07:26 PM
CARL PETERSON
Nov 16, 2005, 6:12:23 PM

Awarding of Kansas City a Super Bowl

CARL PETERSON: “As disappointed as we were last week at this time to make an announcement specific to our outstanding running back Priest Holmes’ injury, today is just the opposite. The obvious is we’re very pleased and excited to announce that the National Football League has awarded Kansas City a Super Bowl.

“I think it’s a tribute to Lamar Hunt and a tribute, as the commissioner said, to all of the owners who have visited Arrowhead over the last 30 years and specifically over the last 15, and the support this community has given the Kansas City Chiefs. These Super Bowl awards are not taken lightly. This will be the third northern city team that will have been awarded a Super Bowl. Of course the first one was Detroit, the second in Minneapolis, and the third back in Detroit this 2006. So, we consider this a great honor for not only this franchise but for the city of Kansas City.

Q: So this is not contingent upon the Rolling Roof and other renovations?

PETERSON: “Absolutely it’s contingent upon the renovation of a 33-year old facility and it has to be climate-controlled obviously to host a Super Bowl in February. (A Rolling Roof) was a dream of Lamar Hunt and the original architects of the Truman Sports Complex and that is part of the contingency.”

Q: Will this help with the sales tax issue that’s needed to raise money for the renovations?

PETERSON: “I am not a politician. I’ll let the politicians determine how this might affect the sales tax. I will say this: understand that this is a private-public partnership and the Hunts will make a significant contribution to the renovation of Arrowhead Stadium and the building of a Rolling Roof.”

Q: The concept was a Rolling Roof between the two stadiums. Is there any discussion about making Arrowhead an all-weather facility and not doing the same to Kauffman?

PETERSON: “There was a discussion but Lamar’s vision and the original architect’s plan is very sound in that, in the great days that we love to play football in Arrowhead in September, October and even November, that this roof be completely off of the stadium, be completely open air, with no shadows on the field, and allow us to continue to let the grass grow. That’s why this Rolling Roof concept is quite unique to the National Football League.”

Q: Sometimes Super Bowls have been awarded on contingencies. Was the stadium in Arizona already being built before it was awarded? Is this the first time where it’s not decided yet that a facility can house a Super Bowl?

PETERSON: “Previous Super Bowls have been awarded based on certain contingencies. This is the contingency for Kansas City. What makes it unique is that very seldom are Super Bowls awarded to northern cities in the National Football League.

“The league has been through all the requirements that are necessary including hotel rooms, airport access, amenities that are specific to the game itself. I think we all know that we have a facility here at the Truman Sports Complex that can park 25,000 cars. There’s room for the NFL Experience for the various corporate parties, all that goes into a Super Bowl.”

Q: How do you respond that this is just for the Chiefs and simply a move to pass a tax? How does this help the community?

PETERSON: “The Super Bowl helps the community to the tune of about $400 million dollars. The Chiefs don’t benefit at all from hosting a Super Bowl. All that money goes to the league and the players. Certainly, we think this new venue with a Rolling Roof will benefit the community also because of the other events that a climate-controlled stadium can host. We’re talking not just about a Super Bowl but the possibility of bringing back a tournament that is very well known to Kansas City: the finals of the NCAA (basketball tournament).

“This facility can accommodate around 79,000 people. It’ll be the largest venue to host a Super Bowl other than Los Angeles. This is something the people of Kansas City should be very proud of and look at very closely.”

Q: The hotel issue has been resolved then?

PETERSON: “The hotel issue has been resolved based on the current hotel numbers we have. The window (to host the game) is from 2012 to 2021 and there are under construction right now hotel rooms and by that time there will be more than enough to satisfy any Super Bowl contingency.

“But the National Football League sent Frank Supovitz, who is its number one event planner, twice to Kansas City to make sure that we could fill all of the requirements that are necessary to host a Super Bowl. He reported that to the ownership today before the vote.”

Q: So the only obstacle then is the suitable facility?

PETERSON: “It obviously has to be in a climate controlled facility because we’re talking about February and the National Football League is probably not going to host an open air stadium in a northern city in February.”

Q: Again, has the league ever awarded a Super Bowl where the issue of the stadium had not been resolved or at least been voted on by the community?

PETERSON: “My understanding is that’s exactly what happened in Arizona and last year in New York (Jets.). The ownership of the Arizona Cardinals got up in support of this and said this did so much to help them pass a referendum they needed. (Arizona’s) will open in two years.”

Q: Are you hoping this will be a catalyst to get what you need for Arrowhead?

PETERSON: “Certainly. This is something that is not easily put together. Lamar Hunt, Jack Steadman, Clark Hunt and many people worked hard on this and so did people from the local governments, city and county. This is very special for the community.”

Q: Can you outline in broad strokes the kind of work that is needed to be done at Arrowhead in the overall expansion?

PETERSON: “I don’t want to get into specifics right now. We are currently, as we all know, in negotiations on a new 25-year lease that would go hand-in-hand with these renovations. I think I’d prefer to leave that up to those people at this particular time. Certainly, the Kansas City Chiefs have some thoughts and desires on what we need to do here, but I can tell you we’re standing in the bowels of the stadium right now and the electrical, the mechanical, and the plumbing have to be replaced. The infrastructure has to be. We don’t plan to change the integrity of the bowl, the seating, the sight lines very much at all, because we think we have one of the finest facilities in all of pro football and one that has hosted a number of other events.

“With this conception and contingency and Rolling Roof the number of additional events.that Kansas City could host multiplies dramatically.”

Q: Is it harder to get the league to say you can have a Super Bowl or get the voters to say yes to make the changes you need?

PETERSON: “I’m not a politician. I think the opportunity for the constituency of Jackson County (MO) as well as the city, as well as the state, is here. Hopefully, they’ll take some time to look at it and look at it in depth and make a good decision.”

Q: If the voters still reject the financing and the other improvements that need to be made and the league goes somewhere else for the Super Bowl, how big an embarrassment would that be for the Chiefs and the community?

PETERSON: “I can’t speak for the community. I’m going to be on the optimistic side. I’d like to think only good things are going to happen moving forward.”

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2005/11/16/carl_peterson_on_superbowl/

shaneo69
11-16-2005, 07:27 PM
We need Blowfish's translation skills here.

Hammock Parties
11-16-2005, 07:34 PM
Carl didn't do shit. And honestly, I don't really care about KC hosting a Super Bowl. How about winning one, jackass.

old_geezer
11-16-2005, 07:41 PM
We need Blowfish's translation skills here.

Carl promised us a Super Bowl and by golly he delivered.....................it's just that the Chiefs won't be playing in it as long as he's the GM.

Red Dawg
11-16-2005, 08:26 PM
Carl didn't do shit. And honestly, I don't really care about KC hosting a Super Bowl. How about winning one, jackass.

Well said, video master. Well said.

Rain Man
11-16-2005, 09:30 PM
I know that I've been asking to see a Kansas City Super Bowl, but this isn't what I was looking for.

Dunit35
11-16-2005, 09:35 PM
Does someone want to explain to me the "rolling roof" between the two stadiums they are talking about?

Logical
11-16-2005, 09:54 PM
The possibility of Super Bowl is not being awarded a Super Bowl.

Did I miss something?

mikey23545
11-16-2005, 09:58 PM
I think some of you Carl Peterson stalkers need serious mental help....

beavis
11-16-2005, 10:38 PM
Does someone want to explain to me the "rolling roof" between the two stadiums they are talking about?

Frazod
11-16-2005, 10:55 PM
I hate this idea. Domes/roofs are for pussies.

I wish they'd just alternate between stadiums regardless of location or stadium type. But of course, we can't risk any of the rich yuppie c#cksuckers who can actually afford to go to the Super Bowl catching a cold or something. That would be wrong. 4321

Coach
11-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Latest Accomplishment?

Since when did the Chiefs win the Super Bowl under you Carl?

Numbnuts

Here, let me count how many playoff wins you got so far Carl.

Halfcan
11-16-2005, 11:31 PM
I still say it won't pass if Jackson County has to pay the majority-while Kansas folks continue to get a free ride.

Rausch
11-16-2005, 11:45 PM
Like watching two teams not named the Chiefs play in a super bowl on TV wasn't enough, now it'll be close enough to smell the BBQ and cheers of victory from some other team's fans.

HemiEd
11-17-2005, 12:46 AM
I like it, it will be cool to have a Super Bowl in KC. I might even figure out a way to go to that.

Simplex3
11-17-2005, 01:41 AM
I still say it won't pass if Jackson County has to pay the majority-while Kansas folks continue to get a free ride.
ROFL Sadly, you probably believe this bulls**t. We overpaid for Science City and it tanked. Now you want us to overpay for stadium renovations. You want KS to send money but you don't want to let us have any control over how it's spent and you sure as f**k don't want to share in any profits that may be generated. Tell you what, as soon as KS gets half the state income taxes that the players pay we'll fund half the stadium. Sound good?

shaneo69
11-17-2005, 07:50 AM
Like watching two teams not named the Chiefs play in a super bowl on TV wasn't enough, now it'll be close enough to smell the BBQ and cheers of victory from some other team's fans.

Yeah, our luck, it'll be Denver vs St. Louis.

BigRedChief
11-17-2005, 09:13 AM
Thats not anything like I've seen designed. They just pulled that chit out of nowhere.

MOhillbilly
11-17-2005, 10:04 AM
i sure as shit dont want a dahm ROOF over my head at a gahddahm FOOTBALL GAME!!!!& could give a F! about a SB in KC.

Frazod
11-17-2005, 10:15 AM
Yeah, our luck, it'll be Denver vs St. Louis.

:eek:

OMG I'd friggin shoot myself. Nothing could be worse than that.

:cuss:

htismaqe
11-17-2005, 10:36 AM
I missed the part where Carl gives himself credit for this. Can somebody point it out?

BigRedChief
11-17-2005, 10:50 AM
i sure as shit dont want a dahm ROOF over my head at a gahddahm FOOTBALL GAME!!!!& could give a F! about a SB in KC.

King Carl is already on record saying that it will never be used for Chief games regardless of the weather. It's only to be used for special events.

Ultra Peanut
11-17-2005, 10:53 AM
Thats not anything like I've seen designed. They just pulled that chit out of nowhere.Actually, it's kind of an... old concept, of sorts.

An early-70s proposal for adding a dome to the Liberty Bowl during one of Memphis' NFL expansion bids:

siberian khatru
11-17-2005, 10:59 AM
Actually, it's kind of an... old concept, of sorts.

An early-70s proposal for adding a dome to the Liberty Bowl during one of Memphis' NFL expansion bids:

Good Lord. Atlantis has risen from its watery grave.

DaFace
11-17-2005, 11:06 AM
I think this one's a bit closer to an accurate concept:

http://www.cjonline.com/chiefszone/arrowhead/arrowhead.jpg

I think that the only major change from this idea is that they plan to add some sort of flaps that can actually be stuck down to the rim of Arrohead to completely seal it off.

Kylo Ren
11-17-2005, 11:30 AM
52787CCF82F04D998DC2029FE7C1B157.jpg (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/attachment.php?attachmentid=49308)

What in the world is that? Is that a tent? How would it work? I don't see how it rolls to the other stadium. How would it be climate controlled? I don't get it.

Kylo Ren
11-17-2005, 11:33 AM
I think this one's a bit closer to an accurate concept:

http://www.cjonline.com/chiefszone/arrowhead/arrowhead.jpg

I think that the only major change from this idea is that they plan to add some sort of flaps that can actually be stuck down to the rim of Arrohead to completely seal it off. It looks like the original design had a park instead of parking between the two stadiums. Why have two rolling roofs? Why not just one?

ptlyon
11-17-2005, 11:33 AM
This is totally insane.

Everyone knows that Arrowhead is too loud for a Super Bowl...

Garcia Bronco
11-17-2005, 11:40 AM
LOL..Carl is taking credit for this?

MOhillbilly
11-17-2005, 11:41 AM
King Carl is already on record saying that it will never be used for Chief games regardless of the weather. It's only to be used for special events.

i dont believe anything he says.

KCTitus
11-17-2005, 11:42 AM
I missed the part where Carl gives himself credit for this. Can somebody point it out?

Oh, I see your problem...you actually read what was written.

htismaqe
11-17-2005, 11:44 AM
LOL..Carl is taking credit for this?

Of course he is. Read the article. It's obvious.

Inspector
11-17-2005, 11:45 AM
A superbowl would be great for the city.

Even better if we could get our team into it.

Calcountry
11-17-2005, 11:50 AM

I wish they'd just alternate between stadiums regardless of location or stadium type. But of course, we can't risk any of the rich yuppie c#cksuckers who can actually afford to go to the Super Bowl catching a cold or something. That would be wrong. 4321
:thumb:ROFL

StcChief
11-17-2005, 11:57 AM
The whiny Sports and newcasters in STL last nite were
very predicatable....comments about KC and superbowl award.:rolleyes:

not a literal quote....but....

We have a dome already,why do they get awarded a SB.
I want to see one here in STL first....
:deevee: :deevee:

BigRedChief
11-17-2005, 12:35 PM
i dont believe anything he says.

Well your not a "Real" Chiefs fan anyway. He doesn't care what you think.:p

htismaqe
11-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Ah. I found it. He takes complete credit for this in two different places:

PETERSON: “Certainly. This is something that is not easily put together. Lamar Hunt, Jack Steadman, Clark Hunt and many people worked hard on this and so did people from the local governments, city and county. This is very special for the community.”

I think it’s a tribute to Lamar Hunt and a tribute, as the commissioner said, to all of the owners who have visited Arrowhead over the last 30 years and specifically over the last 15, and the support this community has given the Kansas City Chiefs.

Sig Kauffman
11-17-2005, 01:46 PM
If Lamar and Carl get their stadium improvements, will they decide to do something about the product ON THE FIELD then?

Sig Kauffman
11-17-2005, 02:03 PM
Q: Are you hoping this will be a catalyst to get what you need for Arrowhead (Are you really a moron who couldn't even be a General Manager at McDonald's, much less a professional football team)?

PETERSON: “Certainly. This is something that is not easily put together. (But we spent more time on it than we spent trying to actually win a Super Bowl.) Lamar Hunt, Jack Steadman, Clark Hunt and many people (Chiefs employees) worked hard on this and so did people from the local governments, city and county (Everyone told us to go to hell except Kay Barnes and Fred Arbanas, but only because he's on the Arrowhead Ring of Fame). This is very special for the community (We could care less about this God-awful place. Just show us the money!)”.

I think it’s a tribute to Lamar Hunt and a tribute, as the commissioner said, to all of the owners who have visited Arrowhead over the last 30 years (we paid Paul Tagliabue off) and specifically over the last 15, and the support this community has given the Kansas City Chiefs (SUCKERS!).

gblowfish
11-17-2005, 02:49 PM
We need Blowfish's translation skills here.King Carl, un-edited:
CARL PETERSON
Nov 16, 2005, 6:12:23 PM

Awarding of Kansas City a Super Bowl

CARL PETERSON: “As disappointed as we were last week at this time to make an announcement specific to our outstanding running back Priest Holmes’ injury, today is just the opposite. The obvious is we’re very pleased and excited to announce severe future injury to the taxpayers of Jackson County, because the National Football League has awarded Kansas City a Super Bowl."

“I think it’s a tribute to Lamar Hunt and a tribute, as the commissioner said, to all of the owners who have visited Arrowhead over the last 30 years . If you look up the word 'tribute' in the dictionary, you'll see the definition as 'a payment by one ruler to another in acknowledgment of submission or as the price of protection,' so this community must be prepared to pay its fair tribute to the Kansas City Chiefs. These Super Bowl awards are not taken lightly. It should, in my opinion, be viewed in darker terms, like the descending of locusts. This will be the fourth northern city team that will have been awarded a Super Bowl. Of course the first one was Detroit, the second in Minneapolis, and the third was, uh... Detroit again. So, we consider this a great honor because we're being compared to Detroit two times over. "

Q: So this is not contingent upon the Rolling Roof and other renovations?

PETERSON: “Absolutely. It’s contingent upon the renovation of a 33-year old facility and it has to be climate-controlled obviously to host a Super Bowl in February. We will call this the 'three bears contingency' as the climate must not be too hot, nor too cold, but ultimately just right. (A Rolling Roof) was a dream of Lamar Hunt and the original architects of the Truman Sports Complex and that is part of the 'three bears contingency.' The group had the 'three bears dream' after inhaling epoxy used to stick the original Astroturf to the stadium's asphalt floor. ”

Q: Will this help with the sales tax issue that’s needed to raise money for the renovations?

PETERSON: “I am not a politician. My family's background is in...uh, waste management. I’ll let the politicians determine how this might affect the sales tax. I will say this: understand that this is an offer, they can't refuse, and the Hunts will make significant threats to move to Wyandotte County, Kansas, or Las Vegas, or Los Angeles if there is no taxpayer financed renovation of Arrowhead Stadium and the building of a Rolling Roof.”

Q: The concept was a Rolling Roof between the two stadiums. Is there any discussion about making Arrowhead an all-weather facility and not doing the same to Kauffman?

PETERSON: “What is a 'Kauffman'?”

Q: Sometimes Super Bowls have been awarded on contingencies. Was the stadium in Arizona already being built before it was awarded? Is this the first time where it’s not decided yet that a facility can house a Super Bowl?

PETERSON: “Previous Super Bowls have been awarded based on certain contingencies. This is the contingency for Kansas City. What makes it unique is that very seldom are Super Bowls awarded to franchises who's cities have twice defeated stadium improvement measures."

“The league has been through all the requirements that are necessary including hotel rooms, airport access, casinos, titty bars, escort services and other amenities that are specific to the game itself. I think we all know that we have a facility here at the Truman Sports Complex that can park 25,000 cars, or 5,000 stretch limos. There’s room for the NFL's "Ron Mexico Experience" and for the various fat cat corporate drug, sex and alcohol parties-all that goes into a Super Bowl.”

Q: How do you respond that this is just for the Chiefs and simply a move to pass a tax? How does this help the community?

PETERSON: “The Super Bowl helps the community to the tune of about $400 million dollars. The Chiefs don’t benefit at all from hosting a Super Bowl. Let me repeat that. Listen very carefully: The Chiefs don’t benefit at all from hosting a Super Bowl. (Cough....sputter...gag...giggle....chrotle.........re-establish straight face.) All that Super Bowl money goes to the league and the players. Certainly, we think this new venue with a Rolling Roof will benefit the community also because of the other events that a climate-controlled stadium can host, We’re talking not just about a Super Bowl but the possibility of bringing back a tournament that is very well known to Kansas City: the finals of the NCAA (basketball tournament). So you see, its not about us at all. It will not benefit the Kansas City Chiefs in any way, shape or form."

“This facility can accommodate around 79,000 people, more if we sell seating to Siamese Twins. It’ll be the largest venue to host a Super Bowl other than Los Angeles. This is something the people of Kansas City should be very proud of and look at very closely. After all, everyone in Kansas City wishes they lived in Los Angeles.”

Q: The hotel issue has been resolved then?

PETERSON: “The hotel issue has been resolved based on the current hotel numbers we have. The window (to host the game) is from 2012 to 2021 and there are under construction right now hotel rooms and by that time there will be more than enough to satisfy any Super Bowl contingency. If not, we'll pitch luxury "pup tents" in the grassy areas around our parking lots, and expand the Chiefs special "RV" parking lot and bring in hundreds of trailer homes supplied by FEMA. New Orleans ought to be re-built by that point."

“But the National Football League sent Frank Supovitz, who is its number one event planner, twice to Kansas City to make sure that we could fill all of the requirements that are necessary to host a Super Bowl. He reported that to the ownership today before the vote. We paid him an incredibly handsome tribute...even bought him a small south sea island which he named 'Supovitz-Land'.”

Q: So the only obstacle then is the suitable facility?

PETERSON: “It obviously has to be in a climate controlled facility because we’re talking about February and the National Football League is probably not going to host an open air stadium in a northern city in February. All those celebrities have body parts made of Bondo and Silicone. Ever seen what happens when you freeze Silicone? It's not a pretty picture.”

Q: Again, has the league ever awarded a Super Bowl where the issue of the stadium had not been resolved or at least been voted on by the community?

PETERSON: “Are you talkin to me? ARE YOU TALKIN TO ME???? I already answered that. Next question....”

PETERSON: “Hope has nothing to do with it. This is something that is not easily put together. Lamar Hunt, Jack Steadman, Clark Hunt and many people busted some serious balls of the local governments, city and county. They fear us. And we like it that way.”

Q: Can you outline in broad strokes the kind of work that is needed to be done at Arrowhead in the overall expansion?

PETERSON: “I don’t want to get into specifics right now. We just need $500 million to start, maybe more after that. Negotiations on a new 25-year lease would go hand-in-hand with these renovations. I think I’d prefer to leave that up to the local politicos at this particular time. Certainly, the Kansas City Chiefs have some thoughts and desires on what we need to do here, but I can tell you if they don't give us what we want, we'll be standing on the bowels of a lot of legislators if they don't come through for us. The stadium right now needs the electrical, the mechanical, and the plumbing replaced. We need more luxury suites, hot tubs, internet connectivity, massage tables, chilled wine racks, fur sinks...that kind of thing. We don’t plan to change the integrity of the bowl, the seating, or the sight lines for the average slob...uh I mean...the 'Best Fans in the NFL' very much at all, because we think we have one of the finest facilities in all of pro football and frankly could give a rat's ass about changing anything for the unwashed masses."

“With this conception and contingency and Rolling Roof the number of additional events that Kansas City could host multiplies dramatically. But it won't benefit the Chiefs in any way, shape or form.”

Q: Is it harder to get the league to say you can have a Super Bowl or get the voters to say yes to make the changes you need?

PETERSON: “As I said earlier, I’m not a politician, I know waste management. I think the opportunity for the constituency of Jackson County (MO) as well as the city, as well as the state, as well as financial assistance by the Federal Government, NATO, the G8 and the United Nations is here. Hopefully, they’ll take some time to look at it and start cutting back on useless social programs, like food stamps and medicare to pay for this renovation.”

Q: If the voters still reject the financing and the other improvements that need to be made and the league goes somewhere else for the Super Bowl, how big an embarrassment would that be for the Chiefs and the community?

PETERSON: “I can’t speak for the community. The Chiefs will be disappointed. VERY disappointed. Believe me, you don't want to see me disappointed. So I’m going to be on the optimistic side. I’d like to think only good things are going to happen moving forward. You want the same thing, don't you? DON'T YOU? And your wife, and your kids and your parents, they want the same too, DON'T THEY? Don't F**K with us this time, this ain't Bi-State II! This is the FRICKIN SUPER BOWL!!!! YOU GOAT ROPERS UNDERSTAND ME??? YOU'VE BEEN WHINING FOR A SUPERBOWL FOR THE LAST THIRTY FIVE YEARS...AND I BRING YOU ONE....AND ALL YOU INGRATES CAN DO IS BITCH BITCH BITCH!!! This interview is OVER! (hyperventilating Carl pulled away from press corps by Bob Moore and Bob Gretz).

BigRedChief
11-17-2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks for the translation. Rep

ptlyon
11-17-2005, 03:21 PM
That right there has to go into the hall of classics

Logical
11-17-2005, 03:55 PM
The possibility of Super Bowl is not being awarded a Super Bowl.

Did I miss something?I am a little suprised no one addressed this point.

teedubya
11-17-2005, 04:08 PM
we should just use Nikola Tesla's invisible force shield Dome idea. Much cheaper.

heh.

htismaqe
11-17-2005, 04:09 PM
I am a little suprised no one addressed this point.

They were too busy making fun of Carl Peterson for something he didn't say.

Logical
11-17-2005, 04:14 PM
They were too busy making fun of Carl Peterson for something he didn't say.I noticed that as well, but being as he held a press conference to announce an award that did not actually occur, I figured he deserve the shit being thrown his way.

KCTitus
11-17-2005, 04:17 PM
I noticed that as well, but being as he held a press conference to announce an award that did not actually occur, I figured he deserve the shit being thrown his way.

I dont believe the NFL actually awards the SB host site more than 5 years out. Assuming KC can upgrade Arrowhead in that time, KC will get awarded the SB according to the Commish.

It's the carrot dangling to entice the upgrades.

Am I missing something?

Brock
11-17-2005, 04:23 PM
I am a little suprised no one addressed this point.

I just filed it under "No sh*t, Sherlock".

sedated
11-17-2005, 04:43 PM
Here's my question:

The NFL says this is dependant on being CLIMATE CONTROLLED.

A tent over the stadium doesn't really control the climate, it just keeps the snow and rain out.

Is this what they mean by climate controlled, or would that roof not accomplish the NFL's guidelines?

beavis
11-18-2005, 11:41 AM
I'm really starting to think this is a stupid idea. If we're going to spend $500 million on renovations, why not build a new one. I'm starting to think that's the Chiefs whole motivation... something just doesn't add up.

This is from the Star today:

Posted on Fri, Nov. 18, 2005

KEITH MYERS/The Kansas City Star
Architect Dennis Wellner talked Thursday about the proposed rolling roof for Arrowhead Stadium.

By KEVIN COLLISON and DEANN SMITH

The Kansas City Star

It’s an idea that’s deceptively simple.

You build a series of 25-story arches, stretch fabric enough to cover 11 football fields over them, attach the legs to powered wheels running on parallel tracks and voila, you have a rolling roof big enough to cover Arrowhead Stadium.

The idea of a roof that could shuttle between the ballpark and the football stadium to shield fans from rain or snow originally was hatched by a Colorado architect named Charles Deaton in the late 1960s, when the Truman Sports Complex was being designed.

Deaton, who died in 1996, also is known for the distinctive clam-shaped home he designed for himself in the foothills west of Denver by Interstate 70. It was a prominent setting in Woody Allen’s 1973 film “Sleeper,” a spoof about the future.

The NFL announced Wednesday that if Kansas City built a rolling roof over Arrowhead Stadium and made the facility climate-controlled, the city would host a Super Bowl sometime between 2012 and 2021.

Questions about how the roof would be built and how it would work, and how its $100 million to $200 million cost would be paid were discussed all over town Thursday.

That discourse included the revelation by Jack Steadman, Chiefs board vice chairman, that the team had offered to pay Jackson County $50 million for the naming rights to the rolling roof and then resell them to sponsors, perhaps in conjunction with the Royals.

The “how it would be built” falls in large part to Architect Dennis Wellner of HOK Sport + Venue + Event, which has been asked by the Chiefs to refine the rolling roof. He believes returning to Deaton’s idea would help Kansas City make a bold statement about its future.

“It’s a neat idea that has existed in concept and could now be a reality,” he said Thursday. “It seems to be a forward-looking gesture that would take Kansas City into the 21st century.”

The architect took time during his day at HOK’s new offices in the River Market to discuss the rolling roof. His cubicle was decorated with helmets of NFL teams whose stadiums he’s helped design, among them Reliant Stadium, the three-year-old home of the Houston Texans, and the new stadium being built for the Arizona Cardinals.

Q: How would it work?

“The technology doesn’t concern me, because we’re not inventing the technology,” Wellner said. “We’re using tried-and-true ways.

There would be no need to acquire any property or clear any buildings for the 2,400-foot set of tracks needed for the roof. That’s the length that would be needed if the roof was to roll between Kauffman Stadium and Arrowhead, although the Royals at this point are not on board with the proposal.

Two parallel streets flanking the ballpark and arena, Lancer Lane and Redcoat Drive, were designed to serve as track routes. The tracks could be either located in trenches or above ground. The distance between the legs of the arches would be 800 feet, double the size of the interior floor of the stadium from field wall to field wall.

The number of arches would vary, depending on the thickness and strength of the trusses, but there are 20 in the illustration prepared by HOK for the Chiefs. They would need to peak 260 feet above the football field to clear the stadium exterior walls.

Q: How about keeping it climate-controlled for the Super Bowl?

The biggest challenge for the project would be enclosing the stadium to create a climate-controlled environment for events such as the Super Bowl and the NCAA Final Four. Wellner said that would not be as simple as installing curtains that could be raised or lowered quickly from the roof.

About 200,000 square feet of fabric would be required to do the job, and panels would have to be snapped together like a quilt between support struts stretched from the roof to the ground outside the stadium.

This is not a project that can be accomplished quickly, Wellner cautioned. It would take several months for the temporary enclosure to be built, so it would be used only for special events planned well in advance, such as the Super Bowl.

Forget about a putting up something quick to keep fans toasty during a cold game in December and January. While the roof will be there to keep the rain and snow off them, there are no plans to enclose the stadium during the cold weather months.

Q: How would you heat and cool the interior?

Wellner said that if the temporary enclosure was in place, the body heat from 80,000 fans would be enough to warm the building to a comfortable 70 degrees even on a very cold day. Heaters and blowers probably would be installed whenever the temporary enclosure was in place, and the blowers also would be able to ventilate the building should those bodies make it too hot.

Q: How quickly could the roof be rolled into place?

The roof would be moved by a series of 5- to 10-horsepower motors driving the wheels. A total of from 500 to 700 horsepower would be required, the equivalent of a NASCAR racing engine. That would be enough to move the roof about a foot per second. At that rate, the roof would take from 12 minutes to 26 minutes to travel across Arrowhead.

Q: What would it be made out of?

The fabric covering the frame could be any material, but Wellner said he preferred Teflon-coated fiberglass fabric, which he said is translucent and would let about 20 percent of the natural light through. The same material is used in the retractable roof stadiums designed by HOK in Houston and Phoenix.

Q: Why wasn’t a rolling roof built as part of the original project?

Ron Labinski, an architect involved with the Truman Sports Complex when it was first built, said a rolling roof had been designed and priced at $6.5 million — in 1970 dollars — but when bids came in at $8 million the plan was shelved.

Q: How big would the space inside the stadium be?

The volume the roof would enclose would be 114 million cubic feet, enough to swallow four Kemper Arenas, Wellner estimated.

Q: How much would it cost?

The estimate is very broad at this point, from $100 million to $200 million for building the roof and enclosing the stadium for special occasions. Much depends on the types of materials that would be used.

Last August, the Chiefs estimated it would cost up to $312 million for a renovation and expansion of Arrowhead. The project would include wider concourses to make room for more concession stands and bathrooms, new team offices and additional suites. Add the roof to that price tag, and you’re up to $400 million to $500 million.

Q: Why not build a new stadium with a retractable roof?

Wellner said that’s a question that would have to be addressed along with studying the rolling roof idea.

The new 69,500-seat Reliant Stadium, which opened in Houston in 2002, has a retractable roof with two panels that open in eight minutes. It cost $425 million.

The new 63,000-seat Arizona Cardinals stadium now being built in suburban Phoenix has a retractable roof that opens in 10 minutes. Its current estimated cost is $355.3 million. The construction cost of a potential new retractable roof stadium for the Chiefs could vary significantly because of inflation and the local building price structure.

Q: Could Arrowhead be retrofitted with a retractable roof?

Wellner said a retractable roof could be built at Arrowhead, although it would need to be supported by an independent structure built around the current seating bowl. That idea would be studied along with the rolling roof. One benefit to that idea would be the stadium would be enclosed and climate-controlled permanently. No cost estimate was available.

Q: What happens in the event of bad weather?

Wellner said the roof would be designed to withstand whatever wind force required by the community. He pointed out the fabric roof at the Reliant Stadium in Houston had been built to handle hurricane-force winds of up to 120 mph.

Logical
11-18-2005, 11:52 AM
I dont believe the NFL actually awards the SB host site more than 5 years out. Assuming KC can upgrade Arrowhead in that time, KC will get awarded the SB according to the Commish.

It's the carrot dangling to entice the upgrades.

Am I missing something?Nothing except that is not actually an award.

BigMeatballDave
11-18-2005, 12:03 PM
They were too busy making fun of Carl Peterson for something he didn't say.So What? The man is a turd. Its always fun to hurl insults at him. Also, he is a piss-poor excuse for a GM...

htismaqe
11-18-2005, 12:07 PM
So What? The man is a turd. Its always fun to hurl insults at him. Also, he is a piss-poor excuse for a GM...

Yeah, by all means.

The man being a horrible GM gives you every right to act like an idiot.

Proceed.

gblowfish
11-18-2005, 12:07 PM
How bout we build baseball downtown, tear down Royals Stadium, build a new Arrowhead where Kauffman is now, and make it a retractable roof like Reliant in Houston? Then tear down or modify current Arrowhead into a pro soccer stadium?

Also, (and this is a big "if") if Jackson County residents, or the State of Missouri pays for all of this , give contributing residents first shot at tickets (like Jackson County does now) , or offer a discount on ticket purchases compared to those who pay nothing to help build the new stadium.

beavis
11-18-2005, 01:11 PM
How bout we build baseball downtown, tear down Royals Stadium, build a new Arrowhead where Kauffman is now, and make it a retractable roof like Reliant in Houston? Then tear down or modify current Arrowhead into a pro soccer stadium?
That's exactly my line of thought. All except the part about a soccer stadium.

Duck Dog
11-18-2005, 01:36 PM

LOL. ROFL

Ultra Peanut
11-18-2005, 01:49 PM
I AM GOING TO TRIAL BECAUSE YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT A BLOOPER REEL IS?!