PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else want to punch Bill Simmons, "The Sports Guy?"

nychief
11-16-2005, 08:11 PM
That unfunny bastard drives me crazy. Anyone else?

Black Jack Savage
11-16-2005, 08:22 PM
I actually really like Simmons, but I usually hate him during football season, and anytime that a team that I root for plays his team (Cards vs. Sox, for example) he's absolutely insufferable. Some of his non-sports stuff is great, like the vengeance scale, unintentional comedy, and Ewing theory, but he gets on his high horse a little too often.

If you are from NYC and are a fan of New York teams I can definitely see why you despise him. I'm willing to take a guess that you weren't too fond of his column about Larry Brown and the Knicks today. The entire premise of that column was completely irrelevant, especially his feeble attempts to draw parallels to Kurt Cobain and Courtney Love's marriage. Cobain wasn't a genius, he just happened to be a guy with the right attitude in the right place at the right time. I don't think that you can call anyone whose 'best' songs are all 3-chord guitar pieces a musical genius at all. It bastardizes the term. Perhaps you disagree?

I know that I really hated his guts during the second half of 2003, but at that point he was really down on the Chiefs and I didn't want to give up Super Bowl aspirations. Sadly, he was right about us that year, and the next when he predicted that we'd finish below .500.

With that having been said, his presence on ESPN is proof positive of an East Coast Media Bias. Could you ever imagine a "Kansas City Sports Guy" getting hired to write columns for them. If a third of his columns were about the Royals and Chiefs there would be a mutiny among the readers and ESPN execs, but with Simmons b/c it's the Sox, Celtics, and Patriots it's ok because of their media draw. It's completely hypocritical, and totally infuriating.

cdcox
11-16-2005, 08:33 PM
I really like Simmons. I don't mind the Boston homerism at all since he is up front about it. I much prefer his biases to be up front than the typical media crap where columnist pretend to be objective but never manage to pull it off. His perspective as a real fan comes through, and that is unique among columnists. I think he is funny as heck, and actually has pretty good takes. My only complaint is that he writes too much about his favorite sport, the freaking NBA.

Black Jack Savage
11-16-2005, 08:37 PM
I must say I do love his hatred of Peyton Manning and the Colts. Maybe the Chiefs and Pats could join together to form a Super Team to defeat the NFL and their evil Colts.

Sully
11-16-2005, 08:42 PM
I love the guy, he's one of two must reads for me every week.

nychief
11-16-2005, 08:44 PM
I read another ****ing column about his NBA fantasy draft, or his cutsy-pie ****ing father or marriage or any of his "ah shucks" pop culture shit - I may freak!

good to get that off my chest!

Sully
11-16-2005, 08:45 PM
Yeah... that's what I like about his columns.

nychief
11-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Who's forcing you to read them?

all my idoit friends that send them out with subjects like "Funny and true."

:banghead:

now we can let this thread die... like bill....

nevermind

Amnorix
11-16-2005, 09:37 PM
I kinda like him.

But then again, I'm sure nobody here is shocked by that. :LOL:

The Rick
11-16-2005, 11:26 PM
I like his articles. Definitely my favorite sports columnist.

DJJasonp
11-17-2005, 09:48 AM
Definitely a must-read.

The unintentional comedy scale is a riot.