PDA

View Full Version : Time to start rooting for LA to hurry up and get a team?

DaWolf
11-17-2005, 03:10 PM
Sorry if this is a repost. These guys are wrong half the time but might as well discuss this since everything else is being discussed:
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm
CARROLL WANTS COMPLETE CONTROL

We continue to hear that USC coach Pete Carroll is interested in a return to the NFL. We're now hearing that Carroll, if/when he comes back to the pro game, wants complete and total control over the football operations.

It's not really a surprise, as we see it. In Carroll's mind, if Nick Saban can finagle complete control based on half of a national championship and no prior NFL head coaching experience, Carroll should at least be able to do the same with 1.5 national titles (with another one coming) and two prior gigs as the top dog of an NFL team.

To get full control, however, Carroll might have to abandon his plans to wait for a team to come to Los Angeles. One of our Kansas City connections tell us that the Commish is eyeing King Carl Peterson to be the first poobah of the team that trudges to L.A.

The possibility of Peterson working for an L.A. franchise raises plenty of questions. Is the NFL thinking of expanding? Or is there something in the works to force Saints owner Tom Benson to sell if he decides he can't stay in New Orleans?

Looking at it more broadly, it appears that the NFL intends to ensure that the franchise will be owned by local folks who will accept input, at least initially, from the league office on folks who will run the show.

Regardless of whether Peterson ultimately has any role with the L.A. franchise, our point is that it will be very difficult for Carroll to dictate both his terms and his location. And if he stays put and waits for the right opportunity to come along, the risk is that, by the time it does, he might no longer be the hot candidate for that job.

Garcia Bronco
11-17-2005, 03:16 PM
Saban has a complete BCS National Championship first off just like Pete. Two, Pete Carroll has already had two terms as an NFL head coach and his teams stunk pretty good. 3rd if anybody want to hire Pete Carroll...go ahead....history would show that the team will be no better for it.

BigRedChief
11-17-2005, 03:19 PM
So let me get this right.........King Carl is annointed the GM of a future LA team by the NFL. Correct? Wheres the owner? Who is the owner?

ArrowheadHawk
11-17-2005, 03:19 PM
lol @ another one coming...texas will demolish usc

Garcia Bronco
11-17-2005, 03:25 PM

The same USC team that killed...murdered OU last year...the same OU team that destroed Texas and didn't let them score a point? he Big 12 and Texas have a lot to prove in a BCSNC game...and are clearly the underdogs with a complete weak conference. I would say the big 12 minus Texas is as weak as the Big East. With Texas....slightly better.

HemiEd
11-17-2005, 03:32 PM
The same USC team that killed...murdered OU last year...the same OU team that destroed Texas and didn't let them score a point? he Big 12 and Texas have a lot to prove in a BCSNC game...and are clearly the underdogs with a complete weak conference. I would say the big 12 minus Texas is as weak as the Big East. With Texas....slightly better.

That was only because OU had on the wrong shoes.

kepp
11-17-2005, 04:52 PM
Not likely, but they'll give the Trojans a better game than OU did.

Swanman
11-17-2005, 05:10 PM
Texas had a real tough time beating Ohio State, who was missing their starting QB at the time, so I wouldn't award them the national championship yet. I was starting to think USC was vulnerable, but then they demolished a pretty good Cal team on the road.

Reaper16
11-17-2005, 05:15 PM
So let me get this right.........King Carl is annointed the GM of a future LA team by the NFL. Correct? Wheres the owner? Who is the owner?

Carl GM of an LA team? How fast can we get one over there? Tomorrow?

Calcountry
11-17-2005, 05:22 PM
The same USC team that killed...murdered OU last year...the same OU team that destroed Texas and didn't let them score a point? he Big 12 and Texas have a lot to prove in a BCSNC game...and are clearly the underdogs with a complete weak conference. I would say the big 12 minus Texas is as weak as the Big East. With Texas....slightly better.They have to get by my Alma Matter first.

Hydrae
11-17-2005, 05:31 PM
My question reading this is since when does the NFL pay GMs? I don't see how they would have any say in where Carl works.

Skip Towne
11-17-2005, 05:32 PM
They have to get by my Alma Matter first.
You can't even spell Alma Mater. You went to K-State didn't you?

Calcountry
11-17-2005, 05:42 PM
You can't even spell Alma Mater. You went to K-State didn't you?Yeah, but you use the term "alot" instead of a lot. Like a lot of other tools on this site.

I forgot to hit the google spell checker. My best friend to fend off shit pickers like you.

I went to Fresno State, currently ranked 16th in the country in football.

Too bad they lost to Oregon. IF, and it is a huge IF they beat SC this Saturday, they will be permanently on the elite football map.

They get up for the big games, I wouldn't put it past them.