PDA

View Full Version : #12 Memphis thrashes #14 Alabama

Ultra Peanut
11-18-2005, 06:56 AM
Hey, it wasn't my headline. ROFL

Memphis thrashes Alabama in NIT (http://www.al.com/sports/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/sports/1132308902302850.xml&coll=2)
Friday, November 18, 2005
STEVE KIRK
News staff writer

TUSCALOOSA - So much for Thanksgiving in New York.

A deep roster of tall, athletic Memphis basketball players invaded Coleman Coliseum, a building in which Mark Gottfried's Alabama teams had won 94 of its 108 previous games in his eight-year tenure, on Thursday night.

And, at times, they dominated. By "at times," the writer meant the middle 30 minutes of the game. Good God, it was beautiful. If Jonus hadn't scored 9 points in the span of about a minute late in the game to get Alabama within shouting distance, the score would have reflected how hard they had to struggle all game just to stay within fifteen.

Wave after wave of Tigers just kept pounding away at them, and totally sapped them of their energy and their spirit with constant pressure for the entire game. As it turns out, it's pretty hard to keep up with that many big, very talented, composed players, even if most of them are sophomores and freshmen.

FINALLY, MEMPHIS HAS DEPTH!

As someone else said so eloquently at the half, with a 16-point lead in the #14 team in the nation's house (thanks a lot, Trans-Siberian Orchestra), "We're wearing out our fist punching their face."

KevB
11-18-2005, 08:39 AM
This is going to be a fun season. It reminds me of the old Arkansas teams and 40 minutes of hell. Wave after wave of players....although the number of fouls this team commits could be record breaking if officials call it like they did last night. I felt that at points in the game, the officials literally called a foul so they could catch their breath. Sure would be interesting if the Tigers get a shot at Duke. Talk about a chance at some serious early season respect....