PDA

View Full Version : 1/16/1994: KC-28 HOU-20

TinyEvel
11-19-2005, 01:07 AM
Many people ask why I, a Los Angeles native and resident, am a KC fan.

Well, I never grew up watching football. My dad would rather watch JEOPARDY than any sport. But when I graduated college and was thrown into an office chock full of Dockers-wearing, cigar-smokin' NFL freaks, I had to get involved. So I turned on the TV to watch some football.
I saw the AFC divisional playoff game, KC vs. Houston.
The KC quarterback was Joe Montana, whom I recognized as the SF guy who won those bunch of Superbowls.
So, I started rooting for his team.
Well "we" upset the Oilers, in a really great game, to advance to the AFC championships.

The spirit and excitement the Chiefs showed on the field that day to upset the Oilers instantly drew me to the team. The next day I was at my local Champs Sports buying the red KC cap which I still wear (much to my wife's dismay, it's a bit cruddy after all these years, but it smells like....victory). And I've been treated to exciting games (when I can get them) ever since.

So, this weekend will be an especially sweet victory for me.
Though not an upset, it will be a reminder why, twelve years ago, I donned the red cap and haven't turned back. And never will.

--tinyE

ChiefsFanatic
11-19-2005, 01:10 AM
Cool.

DenverChief
11-19-2005, 01:33 AM
awesome thanks for sharing:) While I don't remember the first game I watched I remember it was the '90 season and DeBerg at the helm, broken pinky finger and all...that man was a helluva QB too bad we couldn't have given him more talent to work with (J.J. Birden, Emile Harry, Keith Cash)

greg63
11-19-2005, 01:41 AM

Well, I never grew up watching football. My dad would rather watch JEOPARDY than any sport. But when I graduated college and was thrown into an office chock full of Dockers-wearing, cigar-smokin' NFL freaks, I had to get involved. So I turned on the TV to watch some football.
The KC quarterback was Joe Montana, whom I recognized as the SF guy who won those bunch of Superbowls.
Well "we" upset the Oilers, in a really great game, to advance to the AFC championships.

The spirit and excitement the Chiefs showed on the field that day to upset the Oilers instantly drew me to the team. The next day I was at my local Champs Sports buying the red KC cap which I still wear (much to my wife's dismay, it's a bit cruddy after all these years, but it smells like....victory). And I've been treated to exciting games (when I can get them) ever since.

Though not an upset, it will be a reminder why, twelve years ago, I donned the red cap and haven't turned back. And never will.

--tinyE

Great story! Good to hear from another true fan! :D

sedated
11-19-2005, 01:57 AM
You are a good fan. I loved that game, it's one of the few great recent moments for this franchise.

But that hat's smell isn't victory, it's ball sweat.

leviw
11-19-2005, 02:08 AM
I drank a lot tonight, so I'm sure it's pretty much the same feeling. Everyone wins. Joe Montana=Me. Go Chiefs (not to be confused with gochiefs)

AirForceChief
11-19-2005, 08:50 AM
Man, I'm gonna find that game in my collection (VHS)...Love that game!! Great post.

Black Jack Savage
11-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Definitely one of the most satisfying wins I've had as a Chiefs fan--especially after the first half when it looked like nothing was going the Chiefs' way (dropped passes and the like). When Keith Cash spiked that ball into Buddy Ryan's face I almost sharted myself. I've still never seen a better touchdown celebration.

chefsos
11-19-2005, 11:24 AM
Very nice. I always like to see how one becomes a Chiefs fan without the benefit of growing up with them, because I'm one, too. My dad never watched sports, still doesn't, but I saw a late '71 game in which Lenny and Stenerud beat the Raiders, and never looked back.

Keith Cash's move is a classic.

TinyEvel
11-19-2005, 06:54 PM
Does anyone have that game on tape? I'd pay for a copy, plus shipping and troubles. It would mean a lot to me.
tinyE

SLAG
11-19-2005, 07:48 PM
Does anyone have that game on tape? I'd pay for a copy, plus shipping and troubles. It would mean a lot to me.
tinyE

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=129327

Fox River
11-19-2005, 09:01 PM
Was this the game when there was a fight amongst the coaching staff of the Oilers over on their sideline during the game?

Nelson Muntz
11-19-2005, 09:08 PM
I thought I had that game, but I have the game after it or right before it, I can't remember which. Its against the Steelers when Keith Cash blocked the punt.

DenverChief
11-19-2005, 11:10 PM
I thought I had that game, but I have the game after it or right before it, I can't remember which. Its against the Steelers when Keith Cash blocked the punt.

Before, Steelers, Houston, Buffalo...the Steelers game was heart pounding too 4th and Goal from the 1 yd line chiefs trail by 7, 4th quarter no time on the clock Montana juking and jiving in the backfield and finds a wide open Tim Barnett in the back of the endzone :)

Nelson Muntz
11-19-2005, 11:28 PM
Before, Steelers, Houston, Buffalo...the Steelers game was heart pounding too 4th and Goal from the 1 yd line chiefs trail by 7, 4th quarter no time on the clock Montana juking and jiving in the backfield and finds a wide open Tim Barnett in the back of the endzone :)

Thats what I thought, but I couldn't remember for sure, it was too long ago.

chefsos
11-19-2005, 11:47 PM
Thats what I thought, but I couldn't remember for sure, it was too long ago.
Yeah, that game and the Houston game are definitely re-watchable. Buffalo, not so much.

BIG K
11-19-2005, 11:53 PM

--tinyE

Great post! :) I also live in California and became a Chief's fan in 91' or 92' I believe. It was just a bet with my brother who happens to be a raider fan. My brother said that he was going to watch the raiders 'kill' the Chiefs on Sunday. Just to be a good sibling, I bet him 20 bucks the Chiefs would win. (I had never watched pro football to this point) That Sunday, I watched our beloved Chiefs creme the raiders and have been a fan ever since.....Throughout the 90's and the last three years have been so ever sweet! :p I haven't missed a game since I got DirecTv in 95'..

chefsos
11-20-2005, 12:01 AM
Great post! :) I also live in California and became a Chief's fan in 91' or 92' I believe. It was just a bet with my brother who happens to be a raider fan. My brother said that he was going to watch the raiders 'kill' the Chiefs on Sunday. Just to be a good sibling, I bet him 20 bucks the Chiefs would win. (I had never watched pro football to this point) That Sunday, I watched our beloved Chiefs creme the raiders and have been a fan ever since.....Throughout the 90's and the last three years have been so ever sweet! :p I haven't missed a game since I got DirecTv in 95'..

I gotta ask: Did you ever get your $20? He is a Raider fan, after all.

BIG K
11-20-2005, 12:15 AM
I gotta ask: Did you ever get your $20? He is a Raider fan, after all.

He is a raider fan, so what do you think? :( Nope, nothing. Just excuses for why his team sucks. According to him, the raiders have never 'lost' a game. When they win, they really 'win' by beating the other team. When they lose (the raiders) it is only because of bad officiating.....It really is a sickness being a raider fan. I really hope that one day through love and support, he can admit to himself that he has a problem with being a raider fan...... :)

chefsos
11-20-2005, 12:24 AM
He is a raider fan, so what do you think? :( Nope, nothing. Just excuses for why his team sucks. According to him, the raiders have never 'lost' a game. When they win, they really 'win' by beating the other team. When they lose (the raiders) it is only because of bad officiating.....It really is a sickness being a raider fan. I really hope that one day through love and support, he can admit to himself that he has a problem with being a raider fan...... :)
That's strangely comforting. There are few constants in life, but Raider fans are one of 'em.

MahiMike
11-20-2005, 08:59 AM
That was a great game. I'll never forget the look on Buddy Ryan's face when Willie Davis caught a touchdown behind the back of the defender. Buddy is going to pump his fist in jubilation until he sees the official raise his arms for a TD. Buddy then had this WTF? look to him.

Sweetness!