PDA

View Full Version : OL In 2006 Draft

Tribal Warfare
11-19-2005, 08:30 PM
I've watched the Auburn vs Alabama game to view Marcus McNeill. The guy is a mountain of a man (6'9 336lbs) is style is quite similar to Roaf's, but he has a slight problem with speed rushers but recovers quickly.At the same time, he's probably one of the best runblocking offensive lineman in the country.

I'm viewing the Miami vs Georgia Tech game to see Eric Winston who's playing style is a hybrid of Walter Jones /Tony Boselli. He's quick as hell like Jones, and similar to Boselli due to he's a very cerebral player and plays with a nasty streak. Winston is a more polished prospect, even added to the fact he was whiched from TE to OT. The QB seems like he has force field around him on the left side of the field because of his exceptional protection. Run blocking is not as devastating as McNeill's is still pretty impressive.

What I've looked at the draftniks, are mixed, concernig which OT is better one has McNeill going as high as a top 5 pick others have him in the top 20, and the same is said with Winston also.

Keep an eye out for these players. You never know, one of these guys could be wearing Red and Gold

Nelson Muntz
11-19-2005, 08:33 PM
I've watched the Auburn vs Alabama game to view Marcus McNeill. The guy is a mountain of a man (6'9 336lbs) is style is quite similar to Roaf's, but he has a slight problem with speed rushers but recovers quickly.At the same time, he's probably one of the best runblocking offensive lineman in the country.

If he has a slight problem with speed rushers in college, then I have a feeling its going to be more than a slight problem in the NFL where the players are much faster and stronger. Not saying it can't be corrected but just a thought about it.

Tribal Warfare
11-19-2005, 08:36 PM
If he has a slight problem with speed rushers in college, then I have a feeling its going to be more than a slight problem in the NFL where the players are much faster and stronger. Not saying it can't be corrected but just a thought about it.
He's strong extremely powerful, but like I said he has a slight problem with speed rushers but recovers quickly. That is why some have him slotted as a RT.

Nelson Muntz
11-19-2005, 08:40 PM
He's strong extremely powerful, but like I said he has a slight problem with speed rushers but recovers quicly. That is why some have him slotted as a RT.

What I'm saying is that he recovers quickly in college. That split second might be the difference between recovering in college and getting the quarterback killed in the NFL. I don't know though, just a thought as I've never seen the kid play.

Chiefnj
11-19-2005, 08:45 PM
I watched McNeil last week and was surprised by his speed when run blocking and on screens. He was able to move downfield pretty well.

Today I tried to keep on the other side of the ball, Gabe Watson a DT for Michigan who is supposed to be a 1st rounder. I watched the game on and off and didn't think much of him. In fact, I was more impressed with the Buckeyes center who was matched up against Watson. I think he was #55 and the announcers said he is responsible for reading the defense and making blocking adjustments at the line. Sounds like a smart guy. I have no idea what year he is in.

Tribal Warfare
11-19-2005, 09:02 PM
What I'm saying is that he recovers quickly in college. That split second might be the difference between recovering in college and getting the quarterback killed in the NFL.

Yes, symatics. When the kid enters the NFL he'll be a major impact on any O-line in the NFL LT or RT.

Ebolapox
11-19-2005, 09:12 PM
watched vatech/uva

was pretty impressed by d'brickashaw fergusen of uva

-EB-

Tribal Warfare
11-19-2005, 09:30 PM
watched vatech/uva

was pretty impressed by d'brickashaw fergusen of uva

-EB-

He's suppose to be a top 3 pick

JimNasium
11-19-2005, 10:10 PM
I hope we can find a vet at LT.

Mecca
11-19-2005, 11:36 PM
Eric Winstons stock has fallen all year. He's basically thought of as a 2nd rounder now. Marcus Mcneil is probably going to be on the board when we pick also. So if you do like those guys, they're most likely going to be available.

Dunit35
11-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Furgeson is an animal and has been considered a high pick since the end of last years draft according to Kiper.

Frankie
11-20-2005, 02:18 AM
Pick the best available LEFT TACKLE even if Roaf does not retire.

RP_McMurphy
11-20-2005, 07:44 AM
SEC fan here and McNeil will be a top level NFL tackle for 10 years. He has all the talent to be successful in the NFL and will improve with time.

OmahaChief
11-20-2005, 08:20 AM
Eric Winstons stock has fallen all year. He's basically thought of as a 2nd rounder now. Marcus Mcneil is probably going to be on the board when we pick also. So if you do like those guys, they're most likely going to be available.

Not sure what draft experts you are listening to but that is the exact opposite of what almost everyone of them is reporting. His stock fell after the frist game agasint FSU where he looked slow and a step off. Since then he has dominated and his stock has done nothing but rise. I have not seen one draft expert put him in the second round since early in the year.

I would take Winston in a heartbeat but I really like the way Ferguson plays a bit more at this point in their careers. Winston is more athletic but Ferguson has slightly better technique as he has played the position longer.

Mecca
11-20-2005, 08:29 AM
Not sure what draft experts you are listening to but that is the exact opposite of what almost everyone of them is reporting. His stock fell after the frist game agasint FSU where he looked slow and a step off. Since then he has dominated and his stock has done nothing but rise. I have not seen one draft expert put him in the second round since early in the year.

I would take Winston in a heartbeat but I really like the way Ferguson plays a bit more at this point in their careers. Winston is more athletic but Ferguson has slightly better technique as he has played the position longer.

2 weeks ago on ESPN news, Mel Kiper said Eric Winston has had the biggest fall of any player. He didn't look good agains Georgia Tech either....

Fergusons universally thought of as a top 5 pick as a Left Tackle obviously everyone thinks he's the best one in the draft.

Thig Lyfe
11-20-2005, 09:25 AM
Those guys are fine, but if Carl knows anything he'll draft a fullback first round.

Coogs
11-20-2005, 09:37 AM
1st things 1st. Get a whole new caoching staff. Give them a year or two to build around the younger talent we already have on the team. Offense.... Defense.... doesn't really matter that much to me. Just want to see a fresh staff come in and build this thing the right way for a change.

OmahaChief
11-20-2005, 10:15 AM
2 weeks ago on ESPN news, Mel Kiper said Eric Winston has had the biggest fall of any player. He didn't look good agains Georgia Tech either....

Fergusons universally thought of as a top 5 pick as a Left Tackle obviously everyone thinks he's the best one in the draft.

Still trying to figure out what game you watched...

He did not look good against G-Tech? He was not the one that allowed all those sacks and he drove block as well as anyone in that game. You obviously did not watch the game very closely, The presure came from the middle and from blitzes the D-Ends were stoned all night. Butler and Winston shut them down. Hard to say someone did not play well when he gave up zero sacks and dominated his man all night, you are only saying he played poorly becuase the QB was sacked all night.

I would not doubt he had the biggest fall from a Top 3 guy to a high first to mid round. I would be willing to bet he goes top 10 over all.

Mecca
11-20-2005, 10:27 AM
There's 1 top 10 tackle in this draft and he plays for Virginia.

Rausch
11-20-2005, 10:30 AM
This might be a good year to look at a mid-1st WR as well.

'Course, I'm not sure if there are any good FA's after the season...

Mecca
11-20-2005, 10:32 AM

Reggie Waynes a FA, it's kind of a blah year for WR's. The top guys would probably be 2nd round picks any other year.

Chiefnj
11-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Still trying to figure out what game you watched...

He did not look good against G-Tech? He was not the one that allowed all those sacks and he drove block as well as anyone in that game. You obviously did not watch the game very closely, The presure came from the middle and from blitzes the D-Ends were stoned all night. Butler and Winston shut them down. Hard to say someone did not play well when he gave up zero sacks and dominated his man all night, you are only saying he played poorly becuase the QB was sacked all night.

I would not doubt he had the biggest fall from a Top 3 guy to a high first to mid round. I would be willing to bet he goes top 10 over all.

I agree. In terms of the pass rush, he seemed to be the only Miami OL to fend block his guy.

What puzzled me is why Miami didn't try running behind him more often? It seemed that in a lot of short yardage situations they ran to the right instead. I would think that you'd run toward your best lineman. On some running plays I noticed he tied up his guy, but didn't necessarily drive him back a lot.

Frankie
11-20-2005, 11:17 AM

No WRs before the 2nd round. Our most pressing need is LT.

BigChiefFan
11-20-2005, 11:25 AM
I was pimping McNeill last week on one of Vlad's threads. McNeill is a beast and as of right now is slated to go later in the 1st round. I've been impressed by his play and believe he is a major upgrade over Black.

Black Jack Savage
11-20-2005, 12:41 PM
What I'm saying is that he recovers quickly in college. That split second might be the difference between recovering in college and getting the quarterback killed in the NFL. I don't know though, just a thought as I've never seen the kid play.

If you have a problem with speed rushers than that cannot be corrected. You can't teach speed and you can't teach recovery speed. You either have it or you don't. Maybe his technique could be improved to sort of sling them out of the way, but a talented speed rusher would rape and murder him.

Black Jack Savage
11-20-2005, 12:52 PM
I was pimping McNeill last week on one of Vlad's threads. McNeill is a beast and as of right now is slated to go later in the 1st round. I've been impressed by his play and believe he is a major upgrade over Black.

A quadriplegic with Alzheimer's is an upgrade over Black.

Coogs
11-20-2005, 12:59 PM
I'm watching the Bears game right now. We have a trio of studs in Johnson, Mitchell, and Allen to build around. Keep building the defense. Get it to a top 5 defense at the worst.

We have LJ on offense. Power runner up the middle. Perfect for play action.

Defense, defense, defense.....

then build offense.