PDA

View Full Version : What's a good pain killer for back pain?

Fire Me Boy!
11-20-2005, 03:48 PM
So this morning I pulled a muscle REALLY bad in my back... my wife did a little massage therapy on my back (that's what she's studying to become) and it feels a little better, but still pretty painful.

I know since it's a muscle I pulled I need an anti-inflammatory, but besides ibuprofin, is there anything better I can get without a prescription? I know there are some guys around here that have a lot of experience with back pain... this shit I felt this morning rates about a 9.5 on my pain threshold, which is fairly high for this type of thing. I literally felt like my back had broken... for about 30 seconds everything on my body hurt, except for my legs, which were numb. I'm a LOT better than I was six hours ago, and I can move and sit up (slowly), but the shooting pains and the dull pains are pretty bad (I'd say about a 6.5 on my pain threshold.

Thanks for ANY advice.

Bwana
11-20-2005, 03:49 PM
A few shots of Crown?

luv
11-20-2005, 03:56 PM
I usually go to Walmart or Walgreens and look for Back-Aide. Usually works for me.

Fire Me Boy!
11-20-2005, 03:57 PM
:Lin: Maybe some Bacardi 151. Unfortunately, I don't think I could drive to the liquor store. I guess I'll have to just drink twice as much of the regular rum, huh?

Fire Me Boy!
11-20-2005, 03:57 PM
What the hell is Back-Aide?

luv
11-20-2005, 03:58 PM
What the hell is Back-Aide?
Pills.

DRU
11-20-2005, 04:00 PM
Vicodine. Nothing works better.

luv
11-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Pills.

Sorry. I spelled it wrong.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00027CCJ8.01._PE17_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Miles
11-20-2005, 04:07 PM
Alieve is the best OTC i have used.

SCChief
11-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Hmmm. If your legs went numb, are you sure you don't have a herniated disc?

As for an anti-inflammatory, if you want to avoid prescriptions... try Aleve (naproxen sodium). If you have blood pressure problems like I do, then you should probably alternate 1000 MGs of Tylenol with 800 MGs of Ibuprofen on a 4-hour basis (ex. 8PM 1000 MGs Tylenol, 12AM 800 MGs ibuprofen, continue as needed). I have arthritis in my lower back and left hip, and this is what my doctor recommended to me to avoid having to put me on narcotics. This regimen works pretty good on bad back days for me.

luv
11-20-2005, 04:09 PM
Sorry. I spelled it wrong.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00027CCJ8.01._PE17_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Unless, of course, it's due to "that time of the month". Then I suggest...

http://www.midol.com/Products/CrampsFormula/images/package.gif

SCChief
11-20-2005, 04:09 PM
The reason I mentioned the BP problems is that Aleve is a sodium compound, and a lot of people with high BP respond negatively to large doses of sodium.

stumppy
11-20-2005, 04:11 PM
:shrug: Don't know what to tell ya man. I guess it all depends on how high your tollerance for pain is and how low your tollerance for pain meds are.
One of the few non-prescription meds that helped a little was good ole doans back pills. I'd take a double dose of those with a cup of coffee and it would give me a little relief if it wasn't too bad to begin with.
If it's been bothering you as bad as you make it sound you may have nore than just a pulled muscle.
If that's the case then I just have two words for you. Mor Feen.
Mmmmmm morphine.

:D

4th and Long
11-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Vicodine. Nothing works better.
Vicodin is for pain, not inflammation :shake: and also requires a prescription as it is a controlled substance.

If you are looking for something OTC (Over The Counter) then you need an NSAID (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory).

You can find the following NSAIDs over the counter.

Aspirin
Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil)
Naproxen (Generic Naprosyn)

Depending upon the severity of the pull and if you wish to go to the ER, they may give you a prescription for other NSAIDs such as

Ketorolac (Generic Toradol)
or
Ketoprofen (Generic Orudis)

If it's REALLY bad pull you may need a Skeletal Muscle Relaxant such as Carisoprodol (Generic Soma), Cyclobenzaprine (Generic Flexeril), Methocarbamol (Generic Robaxin) or Skelaxin (metaxalone) to let things slide back into place.

For muscle pulls, I suggest you put an ice pack on the affected area. Do not put heat on it.

BIG_DADDY
11-20-2005, 04:19 PM
hydromorophone. 10 x stronger than morophime but I only got 1 left so good luck with that. :)

Katipan
11-20-2005, 04:26 PM
Nubain

Fire Me Boy!
11-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Hmmm. If your legs went numb, are you sure you don't have a herniated disc?

As for an anti-inflammatory, if you want to avoid prescriptions... try Aleve (naproxen sodium). If you have blood pressure problems like I do, then you should probably alternate 1000 MGs of Tylenol with 800 MGs of Ibuprofen on a 4-hour basis (ex. 8PM 1000 MGs Tylenol, 12AM 800 MGs ibuprofen, continue as needed). I have arthritis in my lower back and left hip, and this is what my doctor recommended to me to avoid having to put me on narcotics. This regimen works pretty good on bad back days for me.
Thanks. As for the disc problem, I don't think it's more than a pull. My wife, who I mentioned is studying massage therapy, felt around very gingerly and said she didn't feel anything out of place, felt around doing some deep tissue stuff and said the way I was responding to her questions indicated it was just a severe pull/strain instead of a disc problem. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. I may see a doc if I'm not any better or, God forbit, worse. If I'm worse she may have to wheel me to the damn car.

wazu
11-20-2005, 04:30 PM
Alieve is the best OTC i have used.

Agreed. Aleve is tops. Nothing else comes close. It's the OTC version of what many doctors prescribe for lower back problems.

Fire Me Boy!
11-20-2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks to everybody! Hopefully one of these will work.... I'm think maybe if I try them all at the same time, one of them will! ROFL

That's a joke, by the way.

Black Jack Savage
11-20-2005, 04:32 PM
10 X stronger than morphine??? That is some bullshit. That would kill you. Morphine depresses your respiratory system enough as it is, if you took something that was ten times stronger than morphine in an equivalent dose than your ass would be deader than shit.

teedubya
11-20-2005, 04:37 PM
3 deep bong hits.

stumppy
11-20-2005, 04:37 PM
hydromorophone. 10 x stronger than morophime but I only got 1 left so good luck with that. :)

hydromorphone = dilaudid

Just another opiate. It's all relative to mgs. vs mgs.

Black Jack Savage
11-20-2005, 04:39 PM
Can you even take dilaudid orally?? Doesn't it have to be administered IV?

chappy
11-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Oxycontin

stumppy
11-20-2005, 04:40 PM
Can you even take dilaudid orally?? Doesn't it have to be administered IV?

Yes, they can be taken orally.

Black Jack Savage
11-20-2005, 04:42 PM
Hell, why ask us??? Just call into Rush Limbaugh.

stumppy
Oxycontin

:eek:

KC Jones
My wife, who I mentioned is studying massage therapy, felt around very gingerly and said she didn't feel anything out of place, felt around doing some deep tissue stuff and said the way I was responding to her questions indicated it was just a severe pull/strain instead of a disc problem.

Well, we all know that masseuses are highly trained medical professionals so she couldn't be mistaken. ;)

If I were you I'd go see a PT, DO, or MD if you're in that much pain. Even if it is just a muscle sprain at least the MD or DO could write you a script for a real muscle relaxant.

Ugly Duck
11-20-2005, 04:56 PM
Vicodin. Nothing works better.Hey.... you got health insurance. Call in your marker. No sense in being in pain - tell the doc you want some Vicodin for the pain and a muscle-relaxer to quell the spasms. That'll fix you up.

Fairplay
11-20-2005, 05:02 PM
Vicodin is for pain, not inflammation :shake: and also requires a prescription as it is a controlled substance.

If you are looking for something OTC (Over The Counter) then you need an NSAID (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory).

You can find the following NSAIDs over the counter.

Aspirin
Ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil)
Naproxen (Generic Naprosyn)

Depending upon the severity of the pull and if you wish to go to the ER, they may give you a prescription for other NSAIDs such as

Ketorolac (Generic Toradol)
or
Ketoprofen (Generic Orudis)

If it's REALLY bad pull you may need a Skeletal Muscle Relaxant such as Carisoprodol (Generic Soma), Cyclobenzaprine (Generic Flexeril), Methocarbamol (Generic Robaxin) or Skelaxin (metaxalone) to let things slide back into place.

For muscle pulls, I suggest you put an ice pack on the affected area. Do not put heat on it.

I didn't know 4th was a doctor too. Hes multi-talented i tell you.

Over-Head
11-20-2005, 05:06 PM
Fire up a fatty :bong:, pain will be gone in minutes :thumb:

Fire Me Boy!
11-20-2005, 05:08 PM
Well, we all know that masseuses are highly trained medical professionals so she couldn't be mistaken. ;)

If I were you I'd go see a PT, DO, or MD if you're in that much pain. Even if it is just a muscle sprain at least the MD or DO could write you a script for a real muscle relaxant.
No, I know she's not a MD or anything, but that little bit of information will get me to wait until I could see a doc on a $20 copay rather than a $75 copay PLUS however much ass****ing the ER wants to give me. I'll wait. Like I said, if I'm not any better tomorrow I'll see a doc.

mikey23545
11-20-2005, 05:10 PM
Hey.... you got health insurance. Call in your marker. No sense in being in pain - tell the doc you want some Vicodin for the pain and a muscle-relaxer to quell the spasms. That'll fix you up.

I really have to agree with UD (I think I just threw up in my mouth a little).

OTC stuff is good for pain you could just ignore if you wanted to, but for really severe pain you need something stronger, as well as an anti-inflammatory/muscle relaxant...

Lonewolf Ed
11-20-2005, 05:16 PM
If the numbness continues, see a chiropractor, one who believes in correcting the spine and letting the body do the rest. Last year, I was stretching and did something to my back. I could not feel the outer part of my left thigh and my skin felt like I had a sunburn all over. It just tingled, itched, and burned all at the same time. Try getting a good night's sleep like that! So, I found a good chiropractor, and he fixed me up. I have to go back every 6 weeks for a short back manipulation, but it is sure worth it. When I first went to the chiropractor, he had me in 4 times a week, then spaced the sessions out as I progressed.

I also had to put ice on my back, but since you have a pulled muscle, maybe a hot bath would help you out. Get better soon.

Black Jack Savage
11-20-2005, 05:19 PM
Go to an osteopath (DO). They can treat you like an MD, but also correct your spinal alignment like a chiropractor. Plus you only have the copay of an ordinary dr's visit. The best of both worlds.

Fire Me Boy!
11-20-2005, 06:25 PM
Go to an osteopath (DO). They can treat you like an MD, but also correct your spinal alignment like a chiropractor. Plus you only have the copay of an ordinary dr's visit. The best of both worlds.
My GP (general practicioner) is a DO, so if I'm not feeling any better tomorrow that's who I'll see.

PastorMikH
11-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Go down to the local Orshlen farm store (or similar farm store) and get some Absorbine Horse Liniment. A farmer I used to work for swore by it for sore muscles. He gave me some and I was really impressed. Have the wife rub it in, then put a T-shirt on and let it go to work. Note, Absorbine Jr from Walmart is NOT the same thing.

Hot tubs also work well for sore muscles.

cookster50
11-20-2005, 07:00 PM
I know since it's a muscle I pulled I need an anti-inflammatory, but besides ibuprofin, is there anything better I can get without a prescription?

Thanks for ANY advice.

A $20 hooker usually works pretty good.

DanT
11-20-2005, 07:12 PM
The makers of Absorbine Jr. do consider their "horse liniment" (Absorbine Veterinary Liniment) to be useful for humans. Here's the link to one of the their descriptions of the product:

http://www.absorbine.com/absorbinejr/products/liniment.htm

The National Institutes of Health offers a Low Back Bain Fact Sheet (http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/backpain/detail_backpain.htm#42533102) that includes a section of treatments. It also mentions topical analgesics that have salicylates in them, which includes products like Absorbine Veterinary Liniment as well as Ben-Gay and its immitations put out by the drug stores. The last time I had sharp back pain, I treated it with a drug-store knockoff of extra-strength Ben-Gay.

Here's a host of links from the Federal Government's Medline Plus regarding back pain:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/backpain.html

chief husker
11-20-2005, 08:00 PM
Go to the local Gym and find a Pilates class. Great for the back and the core. Oh, and the class will be full of hotties. Too tough for the fatties. Very difficult but rewarding workout.

onescrewleftuntwisted
11-20-2005, 09:05 PM
get on ebay bid on a little jap lady to walk on your back i all you gotta do is feed it once a day and put it in the closet till you need it again

Fire Me Boy!
11-21-2005, 06:20 AM
Thanks to everybody who posted! The Planet rules, people... seriously.

Whatever I did yesterday, it's 200% better today so I guess I'll live. It's still a little tight and sore, but nowhere NEAR what it was like yesterday.

stumppy
11-21-2005, 08:59 AM
Thanks to everybody who posted! The Planet rules, people... seriously.

Whatever I did yesterday, it's 200% better today so I guess I'll live. It's still a little tight and sore, but nowhere NEAR what it was like yesterday.

I'll bet you have a slipped/herniated/bulgding(sp?)/ whatever disc. I doubt a pulled muscle would heal that much that fast. On the other hand, a disc can slip back into place real quick and just leave lingering pain.(I can still remember the days when mine would do that)
I strongly suggest you get it checked out further. And start taking preventative measures to guard against major back problems.

Braincase
11-21-2005, 09:06 AM
A cocktail of Oxyconton, Crown Royal and a Fentanyl patch. Trust me, you won't ever have to worry about pain again.

Lzen
11-21-2005, 09:09 AM
.....For muscle pulls, I suggest you put an ice pack on the affected area. Do not put heat on it.

Why not put heat on? I get back muscle pulls every so often and I like to lay down with a heat pad on it.

stumppy
11-21-2005, 09:12 AM
Why not put heat on? I get back muscle pulls every so often and I like to lay down with a heat pad on it.

Works best if you put heat on the Fentanyl patch.:D

JUST KIDDING, DO NOT HEAT A FENTANYL PATCH.

Lzen
11-21-2005, 09:58 AM
Works best if you put heat on the Fentanyl patch.:D

JUST KIDDING, DO NOT HEAT A FENTANYL PATCH.

Ok, I won't.

BTW, what is a fentanyl patch?

Lzen
11-21-2005, 10:00 AM
Oh, that reminds of something that I thought was really funny. My nephew put some icy hot on his groin area the other night. It got on his nuts and he was limping around like an old man. It was hilarious. I'm sure it says somewhere on the label not to put it on your jewels.

Mark M
11-21-2005, 10:02 AM
Vicodin is for people who stubbed their toe.

Of course, I've been taking about 6-8 Percocets a day (10/325) for two freaking years, so maybe I just built up a tolerance.

MM
~~:hmmm:

BIG_DADDY
11-21-2005, 11:11 AM
10 X stronger than morphine??? That is some bullshit. That would kill you. .

Dr. Savage I presume? ROFL You should do your research before you post smack you obviously know nothing about it hot shot. The doctor told us it was 10x stronger but I am sure he doesn't know shit compared to you. Since you posted this smack I thought I would look it up and this is what I came up with.

Types of Opioids:
1. Naturally Occuring (sap from opium poppy)
Morphine (10% opium by weight)
- High gastrointestinal side effects (constipation)
Codeine (methylmorphine, ~0.5% opium)
2. Semi- Synthetics
Heroin (diacetylmorphine): Sched 1
- 10x more potent than morphine
- Converted to form of morphine (6-acetyl morphine) in brain
Semi-Synthetic Analgesics:
Hydormorphone (Dilaudid): Sched 2
- Stronger than Heroin, surgical pain treatment
Hydrocodone (Hycodan)
Oxycodone (Percodan or Percoset)
- 2x more potent than morphine as pill, ˝ potent as IV
- Long lasting, low gastrointestinal side effects
3. Synthetics
Phenylpiperidines
Fentanyl ~5000x more potent than heroin
Meperidine (Demerol, MPPP): surgery
Methadone and Congeners
Methadone (Dolophine)
- Strong narcotic ~3x strong as morphine, but weaker than heroin
- Initially used as pain killer, than as heroin addict treatment
- Less gastrointestinal side effects
Propoxyphene (Darvon) Weak ~ aspirin
Benzomorphans “non- addictive opiates” but hallucinations at high doses, aversive
Pentazocine (Talwin)
4. Opioid Antagonists: Used for overdose

BIG_DADDY
11-21-2005, 11:13 AM
hydromorphone = dilaudid

Just another opiate. It's all relative to mgs. vs mgs.

Good post stumppy.

JOhn
11-21-2005, 11:31 AM
Vicodin is for people who stubbed their toe.

Of course, I've been taking about 6-8 Percocets a day (10/325) for two freaking years, so maybe I just built up a tolerance.

MM
~~:hmmm:
It's amazing how quick that happens. :shake: