PDA

View Full Version : What is up with the Special Teams?

Edubs
11-21-2005, 04:01 PM
Our coverage was freaking terrible yesterday. It also seemed like Dante never had time to do $hit on kickoffs and punts. What the F is the deal?

jiveturkey
11-21-2005, 04:02 PM
Can the Ganz!

Dunit35
11-21-2005, 04:03 PM
Our coverage has been terrible all year and the year before. Ganz needs to be fired, its that simple.

KC Dan
11-21-2005, 04:06 PM
one word - scanlon

Edubs
11-21-2005, 04:08 PM
one word - scanlon

Has he been boozing with Warfield?

Cormac
11-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Scanlon was HORRIBLE. It seemed like we shuffled the personnel a lot. Maybe that was based on the play situation, but it looked like there was a lot of rotation after they broke that TD.

Lzen
11-21-2005, 04:16 PM
Kick coverage has been bad. Punt coverage wasn't bad last night. That returner was one elusive dude. He is almost like Dante in that respect. Speaking of Dante, I think he's spending too much time dancing back and forth rather than going straight up the middle. IMO, it's a combination of him dancing too much and the blocking not being good enough.

ROYC75
11-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Yep , it was Scanlon's fault. We had 8 ST's tackles last night, he only got 2 of them. That's only 25%, he should of easily had a 3rd one had not been for a block in the back and maybe a 4th one had not Boomer got in his way...OK.

Give it a rest........ will ya?

ROYC75
11-21-2005, 04:26 PM
Now FTR, We are leaving too many open lanes, guys are not holding their ground on coverage. This includes all the ST's players.

KC Dan
11-21-2005, 04:30 PM
Yep , it was Scanlon's fault. We had 8 ST's tackles last night, he only got 2 of them. That's only 25%, he should of easily had a 3rd one had not been for a block in the back and maybe a 4th one had not Boomer got in his way...OK.

Give it a rest........ will ya?
too easy, like fish in a barrel! ROFL

HemiEd
11-21-2005, 04:37 PM
Speaking of Dante, I think he's spending too much time dancing back and forth rather than going straight up the middle. IMO, it's a combination of him dancing too much and the blocking not being good enough.

I have been scratching my head the last few games trying to understand what is wrong. It appears to me that when catches the ball, the wedge *cough* is not letting him get close enough behind them before they take off. It seems like they are so far out in front of him that the gunners from the other teams just skirt around our blockers and he is toast. He has tried to do it all on his own it appears to me. If my memory serves me, he used to be only about five yards behind the wedge. Lately it looks to be between ten and twenty to me.

FAX
11-21-2005, 04:43 PM
We miss Derrick Blaylock a great deal. He used to lead Dante on ST returns and was, in part, responsible for much of Dante's past success. As for covering returns, I firmly believe that the coverage units are overcome by peewaddin'.

FAX THE SORRY WE LOST BLAYLOCK

ROYC75
11-21-2005, 04:46 PM
too easy, like fish in a barrel! ROFL

Ya think, I've been laying off of this shit some. ( for the most part, but it is funny how so many CP members misjudged him)

FTR, the ST's players are being so aggressive they are taking themselves out of tackles by not coving lanes, biting into the pursuit to quick..

Dante dance around again instead of hitting a hole and turing on the speed.

Other than that, I got nothing for ya.

Mr. Kotter
11-21-2005, 04:47 PM
Haven't been very good for a much of the season, have they?

Extra Point
11-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Ya think, I've been laying off of this shit some. ( for the most part, but it is funny how so many CP members misjudged him)

FTR, the ST's players are being so aggressive they are taking themselves out of tackles by not coving lanes, biting into the pursuit to quick..

Dante dance around again instead of hitting a hole and turing on the speed.

Other than that, I got nothing for ya.

I got nothin' but good rep on that comment!

picasso
11-21-2005, 05:35 PM
They are all running to the return side instead of sweeping the field. Not only that but our gunners suck and the kickoffs are to low and not deep enough. Tynes was kicking line drives last night.
I called that return by Mathis before it was kicked.
When KC gets a lead the whole team takes a little bit off and we get burned. It's also a part of Vermeils mentality such as he made in his post game statement. "I didn't want to go for that last touchdown but we had 4 mnutes on the clock and the kids needed to play, I got burned on that before". I don't care!!!!
Get rid of that soft shit mentality and we get our balls back. You don't see the Colts change their approach because they are leading by 40.

Bowser
11-21-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm stealing this post from somebody, but we no longer have Donald Willis, Derrick Blaylock, Monty Beisel, Quinton Caver, or Billy Baber to set the wedge for Dante. Those guys were money on special teams.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
11-21-2005, 05:52 PM
I'm stealing this post from somebody, but we no longer have Donald Willis, Derrick Blaylock, Monty Beisel, Quinton Caver, or Billy Baber to set the wedge for Dante. Those guys were money on special teams.
I forgot about Willis. I think the loss of Holcombe hurt too since he has been a good ST player his whole career. I was hoping he would fill in for Blaylock.

funk monkey
11-21-2005, 06:45 PM
I know what you mean...our coverage was crap that day...and despite that one run that dante had ( that ended up a fumble and almost a turnover) he didnt have a chance to do anything partly because our blocking before he got the ball