PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Week 12 Power Rankings

chefsos
11-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Chiefs squarely in the middle of the pack.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/powerranking?season=2005&week=12&CMP=OTC-DT9705204233

Power Rankings: Cowboys, Chargers in top five

Obviously, the Colts and Broncos remain in the top two spots. There was a bit of a shake up at the top this week, with the Cowboys and Chargers both moving into the top five. That's the highest ranking this year for either of those teams.
It almost certainly won't be high enough to please Bears fans, but Chicago (No. 10) moved into the top 10 for the first time this year. Yes, we know they're below the Panthers who the Bears just beat. But like we've said before, it's a poll, and majority of the voters still feel that the Panthers are a better team.

The Texans remain at the bottom and appear in no danger of relinquishing that spot. Meanwhile, the Jets' miserable season continued with a shutout in Denver, dropping them from No. 27 to No. 31.

2005 Power Rankings: Week 12

RK (LW) TEAM REC COMMENT

1 (1) Colts 10-0-0 The team that beats the Colts will be the team that forces Peyton Manning into making a few mistakes. But can any team actually do that?

2 (2) Broncos 8-2-0 Next two weeks (at Cowboys, at Chiefs) could go a long way in deciding division title and playoff seeding.

3 (5) Seahawks 8-2-0 The current No. 1 seed in the NFC isn't supposed to escape from San Francisco with a two-point win.

4 (7) Cowboys 7-3-0 Cowboys will have played three games in 11 days following their Thanksgiving day game against the Broncos. If they can come out of that stretch 3-0, that would be pretty impressive.

5 (8) Chargers 6-4-0 The Chargers are No. 5 in the Power Rankings and right now they wouldn't even make the playoffs.

6 (3) Steelers 7-3-0 Ben Roethlisberger's injuries obviously have something to do with it, but the Steelers' running game just isn't as dominant as it was last year.

7 (6) Bengals 7-3-0 Being able to play with the big boys really doesn't mean anything if you can?t beat them: 1-3 against teams with winning records.

8 (4) Panthers 7-3-0 Steve Smith just keeps putting up huge numbers, but the Panthers need to find a way to run the ball with more success. They are averaging a league-low 3 yards per carry this year.

9 (10) Giants 7-3-0 The upcoming battles with fellow NFC frontrunners (at Seahawks, vs. Cowboys) could determine if they're contenders or pretenders.

10 (13) Bears 7-3-0 We knew the Bears' defense was good. But that good? The offense isn't great, but when you're giving up 11 points a game, how good does the offense need to be?

11 (11) Jaguars 7-3-0 A mark of a playoff team: beating up on teams with losing records, something they've done the past three weeks.

12 (14) Buccaneers 7-3-0 We'll admit, we were part of the group that was ready to bury the Bucs when they lost two straight and dropped to 5-3.

13 (12) Patriots 6-4-0 Condolences to Bill Belichick on the death of his father Steve. Anyone who knows anything about Belichick knows how big an influence his father was on his coaching career and his life.

14 (9) Falcons 6-4-0 OK, Michael Vick. We know you can throw the ball, but can you hold on to it (4 fumbles, 2 lost in last two games)?

15 (16) Chiefs 6-4-0 There must be a lot of teams that wish they'd pulled the trigger on getting Larry Johnson when the Chiefs were willing to trade him.

16 (15) Redskins 5-5-0 Sunday must have been a joy for Daniel Snyder: having his team's playoff chances hurt by a coach he once fired.

17 (22) Raiders 4-6-0 Norv Turner cried when presented the game ball on Sunday. Was he that excited or is he already anticipating Al Davis' next move?

18 (20) Vikings 5-5-0 Who would have thought that at 2-5 and coming off Daunte Culpepper's season-ending injury that there was any chance the Vikings could get back in the playoff race?

19 (17) Eagles 4-6-0 Mike McMahon has some talent and he'll get a chance to show what he can do over the next six weeks.

20 (24) Browns 4-6-0 Reuben Droughns looks more like a legitimate No. 1 NFL running back every week.

21 (19) Bills 4-6-0 No California Dreamin' for the Bills this season: out scored 86-27 in their two games on the West Coast.

22 (18) Rams 4-6-0 Two straight losses and the hopes of contending for a playoff spot have seemingly gone out the window.

23 (21) Lions 4-6-0 When a team files a grievance against a player -- Lions vs. Charles Rogers -- that can't bode well for the players' future in that city.

24 (29) Ravens 3-7-0 Recipe for success: force the other team's third-string QB on the field. It's worked against Pittsburgh and the Jets.

25 (28) Cardinals 3-7-0 Classy move by Rams fans giving Kurt Warner a standing ovation. Although they probably weren't feeling the same way at the end of the game after Warner torched the Rams for 285 yards and three TDs.

26 (25) Titans 2-8-0 Titans are obviously out of the playoff hunt, but they'd love to throw a roadblock at the Jaguars' playoff hopes.

27 (23) Dolphins 3-7-0 Is there any doubt that the No. 1 priority in Miami this offseason has to be the quarterback position?

28 (26) Packers 2-8-0 Folks in Green Bay don't want to hear this, but at what point does Aaron Rodgers start getting a few snaps?

29 (30) Saints 2-8-0 The three personal fouls on the same play will overshadow it a little bit, but Will Smith played a great game against the Patriots.

30 (31) 49ers 2-8-0 At least they didn't stink up the joint while Hall of Famer Steve Young was in the house being honored.

31 (27) Jets 2-8-0 Being a Jets quarterback right now is hazardous to your health.

32 (32) Texans 1-9-0 The one bright side to being as bad as the Texans are? You get to watch rookie Jerome Mathis (266 yards on seven returns against the Chiefs, including a 99-yarder for a TD) return a lot of kicks.

ferrarispider95
11-22-2005, 11:51 AM
I still think the seahawks are overrated.

CupidStunt
11-22-2005, 02:09 PM
The funny thing is how teams can swap.

Denver could really quickly become 8-4 and tied for 1st in their own division with two other teams.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-22-2005, 02:11 PM

Denver could really quickly become 8-4 and tied for 1st in their own division with two other teams.

This is wishful thinking................I think I'll join you.

vailpass
11-22-2005, 02:12 PM

How quickly a victory over the mighty Houston Texans gets some of your blood stirring. Keep dreaming your playoff dreams. You have at least a few more days until the reality of 8-8 and another season with no playoffs sets in.

:p

RedDread
11-22-2005, 02:13 PM
< Post bitching about how Power Rankings don't mean anything >

sedated
11-22-2005, 02:26 PM
Why are we always 15?

No matter what, we are ALWAYS 15.

Mecca
11-22-2005, 02:29 PM
How quickly a victory over the mighty Houston Texans gets some of your blood stirring. Keep dreaming your playoff dreams. You have at least a few more days until the reality of 8-8 and another season with no playoffs sets in.

8-8 might be an accomplishment considering the rest of the schedule.

ferrarispider95
11-22-2005, 02:31 PM

Enjoy thanksgiving, can't wait to see plummer back in old form and the realization that plummer is a no talent, interception throwing, assclown.

Mecca
11-22-2005, 02:33 PM
Enjoy thanksgiving, can't wait to see plummer back in old form and the realization that plummer is a no talent, interception throwing, assclown.

I think the Broncos have an advantage in that game. As the article points out, the Cowboys are going to play 3 games in 11 days. They've won the first 2, what are the odds they win all 3? I'm guessing they aren't great.

vailpass
11-22-2005, 02:35 PM

C'mon man I was just funnin' with ya', don't be bitter. I thought that queer little tongue-wagging smilie was ssupposed to lighten the tone of my post.

Besides, I don't want to be enemies with a guy who has a classic Fletch quote in his posts.

Put that on the Underhill's tab.

vailpass
11-22-2005, 02:37 PM
8-8 might be an accomplishment considering the rest of the schedule.

KC definetely has a tough schedule however they are at home for most of it which IMHO puts them in the "anything can happen" category.

ferrarispider95
11-22-2005, 02:39 PM
I think the Broncos have an advantage in that game. As the article points out, the Cowboys are going to play 3 games in 11 days. They've won the first 2, what are the odds they win all 3? I'm guessing they aren't great.

But, denver just played on Sunday too and it still is jake the fake, just give it some time.

Inspector
11-22-2005, 02:41 PM
C'mon man I was just funnin' with ya', don't be bitter. I thought that queer little tongue-wagging smilie was ssupposed to lighten the tone of my post.

Naw, I think that smilie means you want him.

NTTAWWT

ferrarispider95
11-22-2005, 02:42 PM
KC definetely has a tough schedule however they are at home for most of it which IMHO puts them in the "anything can happen" category.
Just talkin a little, your right though, with the chiefs at home anything can happen, good or bad.

Still waiting for Denver to come to our house this year, it will have a lot of implications if the chiefs can win some games down the stretch.

vailpass
11-22-2005, 02:45 PM
Naw, I think that smilie means you want him.

NTTAWWT

Oh shit I just used that same smilie in a post to Denver Chief.

vailpass
11-22-2005, 02:49 PM
Just talkin a little, your right though, with the chiefs at home anything can happen, good or bad.

Still waiting for Denver to come to our house this year, it will have a lot of implications if the chiefs can win some games down the stretch.

Surtain, Sims, Roaf all have to contribute soon for KC to be there at the end. Not saying it can't happen, just saying it's hard to win a gunfight with half a six shooter.
I feel like this year Denver should win at KC which history has shown me is about exactly the time the Chiefs work us by 20. I wouldn't bet that game with someone else's money.

CupidStunt
11-22-2005, 03:11 PM

Not really, but good effort.

KC and SD will be favored in week 12 and 13; Denver will be underdogs in both weeks.

The probability of said scenario playing out is indeed pretty high. And as I said, with 3 teams in the division 8-4 - San Diego being the media darling and KC coming off back-to-back-to-back wins against the champs AND Denver - I suspect the Broncos will fall down in the rankings and media ballwashing.

That was the only point. Every show you hear how the Broncos are the 2nd best team, yet in 2 weeks, they might be tied with 2 other teams in their own division.