PDA

View Full Version : Best KC BBQ joint?

Hammock Parties
11-22-2005, 04:52 PM
Just vote for one. The "rank" will sort itself out via the votes. I pulled this list off Blowfish's site.

JBucc
11-22-2005, 04:56 PM
I've never been to any, so I just voted for the first one cause I saw it on foodtv

SBK
11-22-2005, 04:59 PM
Jack Stack's baby!

Sydd
11-22-2005, 05:01 PM
Jack Stack is the all around winner, but I like the sauce at Gates better. I just hate going in Gates, especially after it rains. There is like thirty years of grease on the floors that makes it so you need ice skates to get around when it is wet.

Extra Point
11-22-2005, 05:03 PM
Arthur's for brisket and ham sandwich combo with fries.

Rosedale for its rib special.

Jack Stack for beans.

dave0320
11-22-2005, 05:17 PM
Famous Dave's is not KC BBQ! It's fast food!

Baby Lee
11-22-2005, 05:21 PM
Best sides - Jack Stack
Best Burnt Ends - Sneads
Best Brisket - Arthur Bryants
RIP and we miss you dearly - Keegans

Oh yeah, and my obligatory Bandanas pimping. Best chicken, best sides outside Jack Stack [notably garlic toast, slaw and green beans], most reliable meal.

StcChief
11-22-2005, 05:33 PM
1) Bryants
2) Stack

Jenson71
11-22-2005, 05:34 PM
Famous Daves? We got one in Waterloo.

BigChiefFan
11-22-2005, 05:46 PM
I would have to say the Smokehouse is pretty good.

MGRS13
11-22-2005, 05:54 PM
Rosedale, hands down. Best bbq in the world!

ChiefsFanatic
11-22-2005, 05:57 PM
I like Zarda's

Hoover
11-22-2005, 05:59 PM
I like Bryants

dirk digler
11-22-2005, 06:00 PM
Jack Stacks so far is #1 to me. I have eaten there several times.

I haven't been to Arthur Bryants, Rosedale, Lil Jakes, The Filing Station BBQ, or the Boardroom BBQ.

elvomito
11-22-2005, 06:02 PM
smoke stack, or their brother, jack stack

Raiderhater
11-22-2005, 06:02 PM
I like Zarda's

Eh, Zarda's is alright, but nothing special (still better than anything I've found here in Texas). Not bad for "fast food" BBQ, but way down on the list.

Jack's Stack is where it's at.

Hammock Parties
11-22-2005, 06:07 PM
I still can't believe my uncle took me to KC Masterpiece. It's the only KC BBQ joint I've been to.
:shake:

Bwana
11-22-2005, 06:09 PM
Jack Stack, not even close.

Baby Lee
11-22-2005, 06:18 PM
smoke stack, or their brother, jack stack
Not related at all.
Jack stack used to be called Smokestack. Smokestack eventually got off it's duff and established that it was the first restuarant with that name in the region and sued Jack Stack to change it's name.

ChiefsFanatic
11-22-2005, 06:22 PM
Eh, Zarda's is alright, but nothing special (still better than anything I've found here in Texas). Not bad for "fast food" BBQ, but way down on the list.

Jack's Stack is where it's at.

I really like their sliced meats, mushrooms and cauliflower.

KCJake
11-22-2005, 06:22 PM
I would have to say the Smokehouse is pretty good.
That's the only one i've been to. I thought it was really good.

Hoover
11-22-2005, 06:32 PM
Beef: Jack Stack
Pork: Gates
Best All Around: Bryants

I ate a lot of BBQ a few weeks ago....

CosmicPal
11-22-2005, 06:35 PM
I know this much is true: the worst BBQ joint in KC is still better than any BBQ joint in Denver.

:mad:

Hammock Parties
11-22-2005, 06:36 PM
I know this much is true: the worst BBQ joint in KC is still better than any BBQ joint in Denver.

You might want to run that by Steve Bono.

KChiefs1
11-22-2005, 06:39 PM
you ought to see what they are trying to pass off as BBQ down at the Lake of the Ozarks.....Bandana's!

Rain Man
11-22-2005, 06:45 PM

For the most part, this is sad but true.

There used to be a very good BBQ place downtown on the 16th Street Mall, but it went out of business last year.

There is still one place in this city where you can get really good BBQ, though. I can't remember the name of it, but it's in Glendale on Cherry Street, just south of Leetsdale. The BBQ there is actually very good.

SCTrojan
11-22-2005, 06:49 PM
Gotta admit I haven't been to all of them. But I've been to most and Jack Stack is my favorite. The one near Union Station, though. The one on 95th and Metcalf isn't as good. IMO.

CosmicPal
11-22-2005, 06:53 PM
For the most part, this is sad but true.

There used to be a very good BBQ place downtown on the 16th Street Mall, but it went out of business last year.

There is still one place in this city where you can get really good BBQ, though. I can't remember the name of it, but it's in Glendale on Cherry Street, just south of Leetsdale. The BBQ there is actually very good.

Wolfe's on Colfax is pretty good, and there's a new guy on Evans, just past Holly, who's actually making pretty good BBQ. But, Brother's is over-rated...

Robio9
11-22-2005, 07:02 PM
I fail to see what all the fuss is about Jack Stack. While in town a couple of weeks ago, I went there for the first time, and the only items that stood out were the sausage and their burnt ends. Wow, those burnt ends were good. Everything else was boring, IMO; I may as well have been eating at a Famous Dave's chain. Actually, the beans were also very good, but I've had better at Lee's Summit Hickory Pit (I don't know if they're even around any longer).

No, give me Bryant's for their beef and sauce, L.S. Hickory Pit for their beans, and my own backyard for anything pork.

Oh, and as far as Denver restaurants go - unless they've gone way downhill, Brothers BBQ used to serve up some mighty fine bbq.

OldTownChief
11-22-2005, 07:04 PM
Don't know the name of it but theres a place in the steamboat museum thats pretty good. Anyone know the place?

Phobia
11-22-2005, 07:17 PM
I'm Phobia and my ribs rule. Heh.

I actually had a noob order 2 racks of my ribs for tailgating at the last game. They had gone to Jack Stack Friday night and he said my ribs were better than Jack Stack. That's high praise as far as I'm concerned. They get better every time. I don't know how I'll improve on my last batch. I just had a few for dinner. They were brilliant.

Hammock Parties
11-22-2005, 07:18 PM
It seems Phobia voted for himself twice. Mod abuse.

Phobia
11-22-2005, 07:19 PM
It seems Phobia voted for himself twice. Mod abuse.

I was just as surprised as you. I'll go figure it out.

Mr. Kotter
Hayward's should be on the list.

ChiefsFan4Life
Jack Stack without a doubt

Phobia
11-22-2005, 07:20 PM
Oh - it wasn't anybody who had any of my ribs so maybe it's somebody who is proud of their meat, such as myself.

Bwana
11-22-2005, 07:20 PM
I'm Phobia and my ribs rule. Heh.

I actually had a noob order 2 racks of my ribs for tailgating at the last game. They had gone to Jack Stack Friday night and he said my ribs were better than Jack Stack. That's high praise as far as I'm concerned. They get better every time. I don't know how I'll improve on my last batch. I just had a few for dinner. They were brilliant.

Ship some of those out to your long lost brother in Montana will ya? ;) If yours are better than the Jack Stack, Bwana needs some.

Phobia
11-22-2005, 07:21 PM
Ship some of those out to your long lost brother in Montana will ya? ;) If yours are better than the Jack Stack, Bwana needs some.

That's not a claim I made. I'm pretty darn fond of my ribs, but Jack Stack is hard to beat.

Bwana
11-22-2005, 07:24 PM
That's not a claim I made. I'm pretty darn fond of my ribs, but Jack Stack is hard to beat.

I make a mean batch myself (if I may be so bold?) but I love the Jack Stack when in KC. Perry Fosters is a safe bet if you make it to Warrensburg.

elvomito
11-22-2005, 07:31 PM
Not related at all.
Jack stack used to be called Smokestack. Smokestack eventually got off it's duff and established that it was the first restuarant with that name in the region and sued Jack Stack to change it's name.
sorta true. the father willed the restaurants to the kids on the condition they could only each own one and they couldn't alter the menu. he had to change the name of his in order to do so.

Rain Man
11-22-2005, 07:33 PM
Wolfe's on Colfax is pretty good, and there's a new guy on Evans, just past Holly, who's actually making pretty good BBQ. But, Brother's is over-rated...

Where on Colfax?

I agree. Brother's is overrated. Their BBQ sauce confuses "hot" with "spicy."

JBucc
11-22-2005, 07:35 PM
Only decent place we got around here (http://meanpig.com/)

Extra Point
11-22-2005, 07:38 PM
Don't know the name of it but theres a place in the steamboat museum thats pretty good. Anyone know the place?
It's Winslow's. Please contact a neurosurgeon to fully connect your tastebuds to your brain.

Left out Oklahoma Joe's for their pulled pork sandwich.

Miles
11-22-2005, 07:46 PM

Nice, I have been looking for a place around here. Might have to pick up some Wolf's in the next few days. Is their brisket any good?

OldTownChief
11-22-2005, 07:46 PM
It's Winslow's. Please contact a neurosurgeon to fully connect your tastebuds to your brain.

ROFL I'm actually a steak and potatoes man myself. While on the subject. Where is the best steak house in KC? Gotta take the girl out for steak Sat. night.

Miles
11-22-2005, 07:48 PM
Where on Colfax?

I agree. Brother's is overrated. Their BBQ sauce confuses "hot" with "spicy."

Looks like it is just west of Lincoln in between Logan and Grant.

Rain Man
11-22-2005, 07:50 PM
Nice, I have been looking for a place around here. Might have to pick up some Wolf's in the next few days. Is their brisket any good?

Oh, I just looked it up. I walk by that place all the time, but just not generally at mealtime.

Rain Man
What part of Denver are you in, Miles?

CosmicPal
Where on Colfax?

I believe it's just west of Logan on the north side of Colfax.

Miles
11-22-2005, 07:52 PM
What part of Denver are you in, Miles?

Im in the DU area off University.

CosmicPal
11-22-2005, 07:53 PM

It's been awhile since I've been there, but I've had their rib plate and the last time, it was a sandwich.

CosmicPal
11-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Im in the DU area off University.

Are you shitten' me? So, am I

Rain Man
11-22-2005, 07:55 PM
You guys have probably flipped each other off at stoplights before.

I'm in south Capitol Hill myself.

Extra Point
11-22-2005, 07:57 PM
ROFL I'm actually a steak and potatoes man myself. While on the subject. Where is the best steak house in KC? Gotta take the girl out for steak Sat. night.
If you like "fish," take her to the Savoy Grill. (i.e. she'll be impressed.)

With a high likelihood of consuming fish later, Hereford House is by far the place to go for a great steak.

CosmicPal
11-22-2005, 07:57 PM
You guys have probably flipped each other off at stoplights before.

I'm in south Capitol Hill myself.

I thought you were over by Govnr's Park. That's where I used to live.

The funny thing is, I was walking my dog the other day while wearing my Chiefs pullover. Some guy drove by and honked and yelled, "Go Chiefs!"

Was it Miles???

Miles
11-22-2005, 08:03 PM

The funny thing is, I was walking my dog the other day while wearing my Chiefs pullover. Some guy drove by and honked and yelled, "Go Chiefs!"

Was it Miles???

Ha, no wasnt me. Chances of seeing me driving around are not too good since I don't drive a whole lot.

OldTownChief
11-22-2005, 08:05 PM
If you like "fish," take her to the Savoy Grill. (i.e. she'll be impressed.)

With a high likelihood of consuming fish later, Hereford House is by far the place to go for a great steak.

Thanks... I guess I'll take her to the Hereford House on 20th & Main. (google search)

jiveturkey
11-22-2005, 08:06 PM
Hereford House is by far the place to go for a great steak.You should be forced to tazer yourself in the nuts for saying that.

The Hereford house suks major balls.

Rain Man
11-22-2005, 08:09 PM

Yeah. We're about eight blocks east of there. It's technically the Seventh Avenue Historic District, but it's usually easier to just say south Capitol Hill since we kind of fall in that designation, too.

jiveturkey
11-22-2005, 08:10 PM
Thanks... I guess I'll take her to the Hereford House on 20th & Main. (google search)Don't do it and punch Extra Point in the face next time you see him.

Capital Grill
Ruth's Chris
Morton's
The Majestic
M&S Grill

All of these places blow the Hereford House away.

stanleychief
11-22-2005, 08:13 PM

Winslows is ok... if you bring your own sauce... and sides... oh, and if you try to ignore the critters running around by the coke machine.

Other than that, it's great! (If you like small overpriced portions)
:)

OldTownChief
11-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Don't do it and punch Extra Point in the face next time you see him.

Capital Grill
Ruth's Chris
Morton's
The Majestic
M&S Grill

All of these places blow the Hereford House away.

What about Plaza III Steakhouse?

jiveturkey
11-22-2005, 08:15 PM
What about Plaza III Steakhouse?That's another winner.

Extra Point
11-22-2005, 08:17 PM
Hereford House or Plaza III. You don't want to take her to a chain, man.

jiveturkey, you're dizzy from too many roller coaster rides!

CosmicPal
11-22-2005, 08:20 PM
Ha, no wasnt me. Chances of seeing me driving around are not too good since I don't drive a whole lot.

I didn't realize we were neighbors. We'll have to get together for a game some Sunday.

OldTownChief
11-22-2005, 08:22 PM
One of the guys in sales where I used to work said that he took clients to Plaza III when in KC and he tells me it's the best.

Miles
11-22-2005, 08:33 PM
I didn't realize we were neighbors. We'll have to get together for a game some Sunday.

Yeah sounds good. Don't think I will be able to do anything for the NE game though.

jiveturkey
11-22-2005, 08:35 PM
Hereford House or Plaza III. You don't want to take her to a chain, man.

jiveturkey, you're dizzy from too many roller coaster rides!That may be true but my brother has worked on the grill at a majority of these places and he agrees that the Hereford House sucks.

Chain or not those other places a great.

suds79
11-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Grand Daddy's in Lawrence.

Simply Amazing.

RedDread
11-22-2005, 10:04 PM
All the people who said Jack Stack

Jack Stack is good, but it doesn't hold a candle to Bryant's

All those who said Jack Stack have either never been to Bryant's or can't get over the bad neighborhood and crappy interior of the restaurant

Good BBQ needs no atmosphere!

Phobia
11-22-2005, 10:10 PM

All those who said Jack Stack have either never been to Bryant's or can't get over the bad neighborhood and crappy interior of the restaurant

I've had Bryants. It's kinda - eh. Brisket was pretty disappointing. Their sauce is unique and tasty. Good for you, too.

Logical
11-22-2005, 10:14 PM
I've had Bryants. It's kinda - eh. Brisket was pretty disappointing. Their sauce is unique and tasty. Good for you, too.For me good Q is all about the sauce which is why I always rate Bryant's number 1, Fiorella's 2 and Rosedale 3.

Hammock Parties
11-22-2005, 10:51 PM
I still remember when I learned BBQ sauce's main ingredient was ketchup. I'm still shocked.

How hard is it to **** up BBQ sauce?

John Matrix
11-22-2005, 11:08 PM
Smokehouse, man

Phobia
11-22-2005, 11:11 PM
I still remember when I learned BBQ sauce's main ingredient was ketchup. I'm still shocked.

Uh. You're the KC Masterpiece expert, remember?

Phobia
11-22-2005, 11:12 PM
For me good Q is all about the sauce which is why I always rate Bryant's number 1, Fiorella's 2 and Rosedale 3.

I eat almost everything I make dry, except for pulled pork. So, it's all about the rub and wood for me.

Hammock Parties
11-22-2005, 11:12 PM
Uh. You're the KC Masterpiece expert, remember?

That was 6 damn years ago. I don't even remember what I ordered, let alone what it tasted like.

Phobia
11-22-2005, 11:18 PM
That was 6 damn years ago. I don't even remember what I ordered, let alone what it tasted like.

Then why are you saying BBQ sauce main ingredient is catsup?

Hammock Parties
11-22-2005, 11:22 PM
Then why are you saying BBQ sauce main ingredient is catsup?

Because it is. Are you saying there are barbecue sauces out there that use something else?

Phobia
11-22-2005, 11:26 PM
Because it is. Are you saying there are barbecue sauces out there that use something else?

Yes. Regionally they vary. Catsup may be the main ingredient in most home recipes but that's not necessarily true most or all the time.

Lots of sauces are vinegar based, brown sugar, molasses, mustard, even mayo are bases for sauces around the country.

Hammock Parties
11-22-2005, 11:29 PM
Well shit, that's refreshing. A ketchup-based BBQ sauce just sounds cheap to me.

Raiderhater
11-22-2005, 11:41 PM

Since you live in Texas, I'm assuming this is a rhetorical question.

Boyceofsummer
11-22-2005, 11:43 PM

Republican politician’s photos were displayed on the walls, Bryant's would be the winner here.

Phobia
11-22-2005, 11:46 PM
Republican politician’s photos were displayed on the walls, Bryant's would be the winner here.

Are you serious? If you're serious, you're one of the dumbest people I've encountered.

Hammock Parties
11-22-2005, 11:47 PM
If you're serious, you're one of the dumbest people I've encountered.

The planet certainly favors less serious people, that's for sure. Look at all the rep Rain Man gets. And that GoChiefs guy.

pak1983
11-22-2005, 11:49 PM
You know I heard all this rave about arthur bryants and how good it was. i had some and when i had it i thought to myself "this is ****ing garbage"

Jenson71
11-22-2005, 11:51 PM
According to Oprah: "There's more protein in the average ejaculation than there is in a fullrack of Gates."

Hammock Parties
11-22-2005, 11:52 PM
According to Oprah: "There's more protein in the average ejaculation than there is in a fullrack of Gates."

Oh damn! Little Jenson is growing up right before our very eyes!

Did Phobia PM you that?

Jenson71
11-22-2005, 11:55 PM
Nah, his sig just brings out the poet in me.

Mr. Kotter
11-22-2005, 11:57 PM
Are you serious? If you're serious, you're one of the dumbest people I've encountered.

Boyce, slow?

Well, DUH!!!

And you've implied I'm slow? Sometimes you can be a slo-mofo too... :shake:

:p

FTR, I still love ya....and I think I'm gonna pop an Opimator in your honor. Heh....Thanksgiving Day break has begun for teachers--one fringe benefit, I suppose.

Phobia
11-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Boyce, slow?

Well, DUH!!!

And you've implied I'm slow? Sometimes you can be a slo-mofo too... :shake:

:p

FTR, I still love ya....and I think I'm gonna pop an Opimator in your honor. Heh....Thanksgiving Day break has begun for teachers--one fringe benefit, I suppose.

No, wait a minute. Dude implied that members of ChiefsPlanet would be more accepting of different BBQ if Republican politicians pictures were on the walls.

I have GOT to follow that business model.

Jenson71
11-23-2005, 12:04 AM
No, wait a minute. Dude implied that members of ChiefsPlanet would be more accepting of different BBQ if Republican politicians pictures were on the walls.

I've said it for years. We need a big picture of Bush in the background.

Hammock Parties
11-23-2005, 12:05 AM
I've said it for years. We need a big picture of Bush in the background.

That is against the rules stated in the girly thread.

Mr. Kotter
11-23-2005, 12:08 AM

He's got a point THERE, you know....Republican-voting customers would be more likely to pay you handsomely, and in a timely fashion.

BTW, has that teacher lady ever paid you what she owed you yet? Most teachers are Democrats....and we will try to weasel our way out of whatever we can....heh. That's what you rich bastards get for whining about high taxes so you can keep us "day care" workers, down...

"Power to the PEOPLE!".....man. :)

Mojo Rising
11-23-2005, 12:15 AM
Hayward's should be on the list.

I agree! I didn't see it so I voted for OK Joes. Haywards is better though.

Mr. Kotter
11-23-2005, 12:18 AM
I agree! I didn't see it so I voted for OK Joes. Haywards is better though.

Hell, yeah.....many of the other places don't have the sides they have at Hayward's either. Those Onion Rings.....wow. :drool:

kregger
11-23-2005, 01:44 AM
Seeing as how i'm the only vote for Lil Jakes(danny Edwards) tells me that not a lot of folks have stumbled onto rgis gem.

cookster50
11-23-2005, 07:18 AM
I love the Poor Russ at Smokestack and the Crispy at Smokehouse. Yum yum yum. BTW, do any of the bbq joints use beef instead of pork in their beans?

Skip Towne
11-23-2005, 07:51 AM
I've had Bryants. It's kinda - eh. Brisket was pretty disappointing. Their sauce is unique and tasty. Good for you, too.
Now that you have rated Bryant's "eh", I have serious reservations about your Q. I've been going there for 40 years. I see no reason to go elsewhere.

Phobia
11-23-2005, 08:08 AM
Now that you have rated Bryant's "eh", I have serious reservations about your Q. I've been going there for 40 years. I see no reason to go elsewhere.

I'm sure you wouldn't like my stuff. It's generally spicy and the meat falls off the ribs. It's really messy and a general pain in the ass. Plus it gives you heartburn.

I don't think I've had anything at Bryants except for their brisket and chopped beef. Hopefully everything else is better.

Skip Towne
11-23-2005, 08:12 AM
I'm sure you wouldn't like my stuff. It's generally spicy and the meat falls off the ribs. It's really messy and a general pain in the ass. Plus it gives you heartburn.

I don't think I've had anything at Bryants except for their brisket and chopped beef. Hopefully everything else is better.
Yeah, I don't want any of that shit. Your tasters are all ****ed up.

KC Jones
11-23-2005, 08:21 AM
Wabash should be on the list. Some of you should make a day trip up to Excelsior Springs and spend the day checking out the town and eating at Wabash.

Don't believe me, but maybe you should take the vote of these guys for it:

http://www.gasbbq.net/best.htm

Duck Dog
11-23-2005, 08:22 AM
This poll is worthless without adding Wyandott BBQ or Zardas.

*edit*
If I had to choose from the above, I'd pick Fiorellas.

And damn you all for making me hungry for BBQ when I live in the frozen tundra! :cuss:

Fish
11-23-2005, 09:38 AM
I don't get all the hubbub about Jack Stack..... it's decent, but it's been totally commercialized to the point it's like a chain restaurant.

Best all-around BBQ, you can't beat Arthur Bryants. And you gotta love their beans.... ohh man I could make a meal out of the beans.....although my ass rebels against me for it.......

Gates is a great place for a quick Beef on Bun lunch..... and you gotta love the "friendly" service you get at Gates. Just about every time I'm greeted at the counter with "WHATCHU WANT?"

Not much love for L.C.'s here though.... If you haven't tried it, you really should. This place deserves some credit.....

CosmicPal
11-23-2005, 09:44 AM
Gates is a great place for a quick Beef on Bun lunch..... and you gotta love the "friendly" service you get at Gates. Just about every time I'm greeted at the counter with "WHATCHU WANT?"

Not much love for L.C.'s here though.... If you haven't tried it, you really should. This place deserves some credit.....

L.C.'s is great.

But, your reference to the Gates counter girls made me laugh 'cause I just remembered an old buddy of mine dressed up as a Gates counter girl for one of our Halloween parties. He painted himself black and put on a frizzy dress and walked around saying, "WHATCHU WANT?"

But, the funny part is- it was a predominately white party, but there was this African-American female friend of ours who was there. I went down late that evening to get some beer out of the keg and walked by my buddy having sex with her on the couch. They were both too drunk to know anyone was watching.

KC Kings
11-23-2005, 09:45 AM
Seeing as how i'm the only vote for Lil Jakes(danny Edwards) tells me that not a lot of folks have stumbled onto rgis gem.

Lil Jakes Eat it an beat it is an awesome bbq place, but there is only one place in town where I can get consistantly great beef, pork, chicken, sausage, lamb, salmon, and has the best sides, and that is Jack Stacks in Martin City.

The best ribs I have ever purchase were from the Conoco on 47th and Blue Ridge Blvd, but they are not consistant.

LC's is a great place also, and they have awesome fries. I also really like Bates City BBQ over in Mission I believe. Their BBQ isn't the greatest, but they use oak instead of hickory and it is good Q with a different taste.

unlurking
11-23-2005, 09:47 AM
mmmmm

Think I'm gonna have to go for the pulled pork, chicken, and brisket combo platter today. Thanks for making me hungry at 8:45 in the freakin' morning!!!!

Another recommendation for Denver folks...

http://www.brickyardbbq.com/

I'll be grabbing lunch there today.

KC Kings
11-23-2005, 09:51 AM
I have had Famous Daves by the race track about a half dozen times, and don't understand how it even makes this list? It tastes like they either boil or broil their meat so it is tender, but chewy.

If you include Famous Daves to this list you might as well include McDonalds since the McRib is back.

CosmicPal
11-23-2005, 09:54 AM
mmmmm

Think I'm gonna have to go for the pulled pork, chicken, and brisket combo platter today. Thanks for making me hungry at 8:45 in the freakin' morning!!!!

Another recommendation for Denver folks...

http://www.brickyardbbq.com/

I'll be grabbing lunch there today.

Kewl....

I've never heard of the place, but it sounds good. It looks like it's over by the Highlands area? I'll have to make it up there sometime....

htismaqe
11-23-2005, 09:58 AM
I eat almost everything I make dry, except for pulled pork. So, it's all about the rub and wood for me.

Bingo.

GOOD BBQ don't need no sauce...

htismaqe
11-23-2005, 10:01 AM
I don't get all the hubbub about Jack Stack..... it's decent, but it's been totally commercialized to the point it's like a chain restaurant.

Best all-around BBQ, you can't beat Arthur Bryants. And you gotta love their beans.... ohh man I could make a meal out of the beans.....although my ass rebels against me for it.......

I don't get all the hate for Jack Stack just because it's a nicer place.

Good BBQ has nothing to do with atmosphere. It's all about the meat, and Fiorella's is pretty good.

unlurking
11-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Kewl....

I've never heard of the place, but it sounds good. It looks like it's over by the Highlands area? I'll have to make it up there sometime....
Yeah, great stuff (KC Style). Across from where Elitch's used to be. My fav is the brisket and pulled pork. And if your jonesin' for Jack Stack beans, give these a try. Very similar and very tasty. I love the ribs, but don't do the rib combo which comes with 3 bones. I don't know if they are the previous days leftovers or not, but they're kinda dry. The slab plates are great though, very tasty.

Raiderhater
11-23-2005, 10:10 AM
Bingo.

GOOD BBQ don't need no sauce...

Two completely different schools of thought here. I think good sauce is as much a part of the BBQ experience as the meat.

htismaqe
11-23-2005, 10:15 AM
Two completely different schools of thought here. I think good sauce is as much a part of the BBQ experience as the meat.

Yep. Dry vs. wet is practically a religious war in Memphis.

Myself, I prefer a good dry rub over sauce any day.

Raiderhater
11-23-2005, 10:20 AM

I actually enjoy dry from time to time. I just prefer wet.

KC Kings
11-23-2005, 10:22 AM

I'm a tweener, I like it a little wet. My uncle makes pretty good Q, but he will pull it or chop it and drown it in sauce so all you taste is the sauce. I like a little on the side.

Inspector
11-23-2005, 10:58 AM
Sauce - Gates
Beans - Smokestack
All around - Fiorella's

I've tried Bryants - gag, didn't care for it.

Several of those on the list I've never tried. I don't get out much. I'm always afraid the police will spot me and well then....you know....

acasas4
11-23-2005, 11:43 AM
If I want ribs, burnt ends, etc. then Jack Stack. Gates extra hot sauce is my favorite. I also like taking Bryant's beef and ham combo samich home and putting gate's sauce on it.:)

KC Kings
11-23-2005, 11:45 AM
I have been to all of these mulitple times, except for Rosedale, Boardroom, and the Filling Station, unless the filling station is the same as Oklahoma Joes.

I am going to Rosedale for lunch right now, and will give a full report in about an hour.

htismaqe
11-23-2005, 11:49 AM
I also like taking Bryant's beef and ham combo samich home and putting gate's sauce on it.:)

Now that's the spirit. :thumb:

stanleychief
11-23-2005, 12:17 PM
I used to work a block from Jack Stack near Union Station, so we had that about once a week. I think I burned myself out by going there so often. Jack Stack does have very high quality meat and pretty decent sauce on a consistent basis. If someone were visiting KC and only had time to sample BBQ at one place before they left, that is definately where I would send them.

For those of you that live and/or work downtown, I'm sure you know how hard it is to get into Jack Stack for lunch (and dinner on occasion) without waiting for a table to become available. There is a pretty good BBQ joint just a few blocks up Baltimore called Smokin' Joes. They usually get pretty busy, but have a fairly quick turnaround, and pretty darn good BBQ. Check them out if you're burned out on Jack Stack and want a change of pace, or want a quick lunch.

There is a place out on 95th and Blue Ridge called Big T's that I recommended on a thread about BBQ last year. I'm afraid I'm going to have to back away from recommending them in this one. They used to serve up huge portions of high quality meat, but now both the size and quality have disappeared. This seems to be the case with a lot of the smaller BBQ joints around town- inconsistent quality.

Here's my take on the above restaurants:

Best Beef: Bryants, Jack Stack, Gates
Best Sausage: Jack Stack, Bryants
Best Ham: Jack Stack, Gates
Best Beans: LC's -- Huge chunks of brisket. All others are pretenders!
Best Sauce: Bryant's, Jack Stack, Gates
Best Service: Jack Stack
Least Likely To Get Carjacked: Jack Stack
Health Inspector's Nightmare: LC's, Bryants
Most Overhyped: Rosedale

Note: I haven't been to Oklahoma Joe's, so I must give them an incomplete, but everyone at work rants and raves about it.

htismaqe
11-23-2005, 12:31 PM
Both of my cousin's live in KC and they told me that it's impossible to get lunch at Oklahoma Joe's. The lines are sometimes BLOCKS long...

KC Kings
11-23-2005, 01:27 PM
Rosedale doesn't deserve to be anywhere on this list.

I just finished my last bite, and it was a decent meal but below average for KC BBQ. Where do I begin...

The sauce, is ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar and spices. The "unique sweetness" that many online reviews remark about the sauce, is only unique if your parents were rich and you never had to buy ketchup in the gallon cans to refill your bottles. That "unique" taste is the taste of cheap generic ketchup. I know it well. Average.

The beans are canned pork and beans, with ketchup sauce and some pork in it. Below average.

I ordered and paid for a sausage/pork combo dinner, but received a sausage/ham combo dinner. I was ordering for 5 people, so the mix up is understandable.

The pork was boiled/broiled, NOT SMOKED. When you smoke meat, it gets a little pink around the edges. This pork had no pink, and hardly any smoke flavor at all. Furthermore it was dry, and took larges amounts of cheap ketchup sauce to moisten it up. Below Average

The ham was just sliced ham, but I am not a fan of ham slices from a bbq place anyway. Average

Fries are crinkle fries that you can buy in the store, about average for most bbq places. Average

Cole Slaw was creamier than some and was pretty good. Above average

For BBQ places in that offer dinners in this same price range, I would rate Rosedale BELOW Connoco on 47th, Midwest BBQ on Old Raytown Rd & 63rd, and the late Big Daddy's.... and that is only comparing it to Raytown BBQ joints. I've never had Boardroom, Filling Station, or Phobia's, but this place is in last place behind all other entiries.

stanleychief
11-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Rosedale doesn't deserve to be anywhere on this list.

I just finished my last bite, and it was a decent meal but below average for KC BBQ. Where do I begin...

The sauce, is ketchup, vinegar, brown sugar and spices. The "unique sweetness" that many online reviews remark about the sauce, is only unique if your parents were rich and you never had to buy ketchup in the gallon cans to refill your bottles. That "unique" taste is the taste of cheap generic ketchup. I know it well. Average.

The beans are canned pork and beans, with ketchup sauce and some pork in it. Below average.

I ordered and paid for a sausage/pork combo dinner, but received a sausage/ham combo dinner. I was ordering for 5 people, so the mix up is understandable.

The pork was boiled/broiled, NOT SMOKED. When you smoke meat, it gets a little pink around the edges. This pork had no pink, and hardly any smoke flavor at all. Furthermore it was dry, and took larges amounts of cheap ketchup sauce to moisten it up. Below Average

The ham was just sliced ham, but I am not a fan of ham slices from a bbq place anyway. Average

Fries are crinkle fries that you can buy in the store, about average for most bbq places. Average

Cole Slaw was creamier than some and was pretty good. Above average

For BBQ places in that offer dinners in this same price range, I would rate Rosedale BELOW Connoco on 47th, Midwest BBQ on Old Raytown Rd & 63rd, and the late Big Daddy's.... and that is only comparing it to Raytown BBQ joints. I've never had Boardroom, Filling Station, or Phobia's, but this place is in last place behind all other entiries.

I agree 100% on Rosedale. Their BBQ reminds me of something you would expect to find at a state fair. Beans are definately out of a can, and not doctored up much if at all. I had a guy at work talk me into going to that place because of the french fries. What a joke! I asked him afterwords if he'd ever heard of Ore-Ida, because he could save some money.

I've had Midwest BBQ several times and they have some pretty good stuff. The last time I went, the meat was horribly dried out, and what wasn't dried out was pure fat. I'm hoping it was just a bad night for them, and will definately give it another try. It sucks that the bridge to get there from Raytown Rd. is closed now. :cuss:

Saulbadguy
11-23-2005, 02:13 PM
I voted for Bryants. I've been to Jack Stack, and it is great, but very expensive, and has no "BBQ Soul".

As for dry vs wet, give me my SAUCE. I love Arthur Bryants rich & spicy sauce. I get a beef & ham combo with fries, and smother it all with sauce.

Oh..and I gotta have a large red creme soda.

sd4chiefs
11-23-2005, 02:17 PM
The best BBQ joint in San Diego is not as good as the worst BBQ joint in the :shake: KC area.

sedated
11-23-2005, 02:23 PM
I think good sauce is as much a part of the BBQ experience as the meat.

:bravo:

Extra Point
11-23-2005, 02:24 PM
I'm still craving Oklahoma Joe's pulled pork sandwich. They put a dab of their cole slaw on it. Good stuff, Maynard!

Baby Lee
11-23-2005, 02:27 PM
I'd agreed in principle, but Culver's fries are crinkle cut, and they are the effing shiznit!!!

CosmicPal
11-23-2005, 02:27 PM
I'm still craving Oklahoma Joe's pulled pork sandwich. They put a dab of their cole slaw on it. Good stuff, Maynard!

That's Carolina BBQ! Uggggghhhhh, I hate that. I'm sorry, but I do not understand why peeps like cole slaw on their freakin' BBQ sandwiches...bleh.

Give me the meat, a bun, and a little sauce, and I'm in heaven. Keep the cole slaw where it belongs- on someone else's plate!

Extra Point
11-23-2005, 02:37 PM
You haven't been to OK Joe's. If all it takes is meat, bun, and a little sauce to put you in heaven, you've been at high altitude way too long.

Logical
11-23-2005, 02:39 PM
Yes. Regionally they vary. Catsup may be the main ingredient in most home recipes but that's not necessarily true most or all the time.

Lots of sauces are vinegar based, brown sugar, molasses, mustard, even mayo are bases for sauces around the country.

That mustard/vinegar based sauce in Alabama is some of the worst shit ever. Had a good smoked brisket but like I said Q is all about the sauce for me. To me a a great smoked meat is just part of what I consider the norm, if they fail that I will never be back.

KC Kings
11-23-2005, 02:42 PM
That's Carolina BBQ! Uggggghhhhh, I hate that. I'm sorry, but I do not understand why peeps like cole slaw on their freakin' BBQ sandwiches...bleh.

Give me the meat, a bun, and a little sauce, and I'm in heaven. Keep the cole slaw where it belongs- on someone else's plate!

I normally don't mix slaw with my food, and never eat it unless is comes standard with the dinner. My mom always gets a sandwich at SmokeStacks, either the Martin City Mayor or the Poor Russ, but it is a burnt end sandwhich with cole slaw on top. She can only eat half so I take car of her other half, and I kind of like the slaw fora change.

Tha last time I was in NC we stopped at a place in Shelby that was their "best around". It was horrible, and the cole slaw had tobassco sauce mixed in with it. I never had red cole slaw, but it was common around that area.

cdcox
03-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Bump

Hammock Parties
03-23-2009, 09:13 PM
I had Gates last time I was in KC.

Buehler445
03-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Shit. I fail.

Saulbadguy
03-23-2009, 09:23 PM
I had Gates last time I was in KC.

sucks.

Skip Towne
03-23-2009, 09:28 PM
sucks.

Yep. Frozen french fries and the sickening sweet sauce you can get at any small town Bar-B-Q.

Hammock Parties
03-23-2009, 09:29 PM
It was pretty good. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing?

Blick
03-23-2009, 09:48 PM
I voted for Jack Stack's.

KcFanNindy
03-23-2009, 10:04 PM
you ought to see what they are trying to pass off as BBQ down at the Lake of the Ozarks.....Bandana's!

thats the worst place to eat at!

3 Pigs BarbQ isnt bad....but for those who have been aorund for a while, who went the lake in Gravois Mills area, " HICKORY PIT BBQ" was the shit! I havent found another joint that comes close to this place....and i have ate at alot of BBQ joints....i know Jack Stack is very good for the Beans, and depending on the day at Gates as some kick ass Smoking BBQ as well....

Hickory Pit is no longer there, since the owner died, the family closed up shop!

Sure-Oz
03-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Ok Joe's 1st

Jack Stack

Gates

Sure-Oz
03-23-2009, 10:42 PM
Both of my cousin's live in KC and they told me that it's impossible to get lunch at Oklahoma Joe's. The lines are sometimes BLOCKS long...

The Pulled Pork sandwich owns and the fries are laced with coke it's so damn good

Fire Me Boy!
03-24-2009, 05:43 AM
I don't really consider the fries when I go to eat BBQ. I'm not there for the fries. Often, I don't even eat them.

About 90 percent of the time I go out to eat at a BBQ place, I'm there for burnt ends. Arthur Bryant's and Gates have best, IMO. AB's are "unique" and the sauce is pretty different. So typically, my choice is Gates. But every now and then I get a hankering for AB's, and I'll hit them up.

Jack Stack's has great sides, but again, I'm not going there for the sides. And I just don't particularly care for the Jack Stack vibe - it's too clean, sanitized... watered down. Barbecue should be just a little dirty. I want a fat guy in an apron and a sauce-stained white T-shirt cooking my BBQ. I just don't see that at Jack Stack.

Someone in the other thread said Gates is overrated. I think part of the love for Gates is the ambiance they've created. It's just kinda fun to walk in and have some short black lady scream, "Hi, may I help you!"

Stewie
03-24-2009, 06:39 AM
Back when this poll was started I would have said Jack's Stack, hands down. I'm now an OK Joe's fan. And yes, if you don't get to OK Joe's in Olathe right at 11:00 for lunch you'll find a long line. I eat there once or twice a month for lunch and it's always crowded, no matter what day it is.

BigRedChief
03-24-2009, 06:49 AM
Jack stack burnt ends with beans and cheesy corn can't be beat as a last meal.

Dave Lane
03-24-2009, 07:04 AM
It was pretty good. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing?

Gates is very good, ribs are the best there. Really the measuring stick for slabs and short ends.

Next time you come to town we can do a KC BBQ eat off

Dave Lane
03-24-2009, 07:06 AM

Haywards burnt ends are the best period and cheesy corn please what are you 10? this is real BBQ thread

MOhillbilly
03-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Bryants sweet heat is the be all to end all of commercial BBQ sauce. other than that imo i can do better Q at home than any of those joints.

Alton deFlat
03-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Back when this poll was started I would have said Jack's Stack, hands down. I'm now an OK Joe's fan. And yes, if you don't get to OK Joe's in Olathe right at 11:00 for lunch you'll find a long line. I eat there once or twice a month for lunch and it's always crowded, no matter what day it is.

I love Arthur Bryant's, but also like Oklahoma Joe's and Jack Stack. You're right about OJ's being crowded. I've been to the one in Olathe on weekends and the one on 47th in the KU Med Center area. I was at that one at noon on a weekday. There was a long line. There is something about standing in line to place your order, that makes it that much better.

tooge
03-24-2009, 07:31 AM
guess I'd have to say LC's, but I usually do my own and think it kicks all of their asses. Go me!

Dave Lane
03-24-2009, 07:36 AM
Bryants sweet heat is the be all to end all of commercial BBQ sauce. other than that imo i can do better Q at home than any of those joints.

Haywards sauce is pretty kick butt too. The BBQ its self I can do as well as most but the sauce is a huge difference

Fire Me Boy!
03-24-2009, 07:49 AM

Jack Stack's burnt ends are in no way shape or form actual burnt ends. What they have is called cubed brisket. It ain't burnt ends.

luv
03-24-2009, 07:56 AM
I don't really consider the fries when I go to eat BBQ. I'm not there for the fries. Often, I don't even eat them.

About 90 percent of the time I go out to eat at a BBQ place, I'm there for burnt ends. Arthur Bryant's and Gates have best, IMO. AB's are "unique" and the sauce is pretty different. So typically, my choice is Gates. But every now and then I get a hankering for AB's, and I'll hit them up.

Jack Stack's has great sides, but again, I'm not going there for the sides. And I just don't particularly care for the Jack Stack vibe - it's too clean, sanitized... watered down. Barbecue should be just a little dirty. I want a fat guy in an apron and a sauce-stained white T-shirt cooking my BBQ. I just don't see that at Jack Stack.

Someone in the other thread said Gates is overrated. I think part of the love for Gates is the ambiance they've created. It's just kinda fun to walk in and have some short black lady scream, "Hi, may I help you!"

I love to hear them call out orders, too.

MOhillbilly
03-24-2009, 08:21 AM
Haywards sauce is pretty kick butt too. The BBQ its self I can do as well as most but the sauce is a huge difference

Got a bottle of haywards when i was up there awhile back its pretty good. and ive tried just damn near every Q kc has to offer.
the sweet heat sets the bar so damn high there just isnt a 2nd place imo.

Hammock Parties
03-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Jack Stack's burnt ends are in no way shape or form actual burnt ends. What they have is called cubed brisket. It ain't burnt ends.

I SAY! HAVE YOU SEEN THOSE BURNT ENDS AT JACK STACK'S? HORRIFYING!

http://www.imagicwonders.com/galleries/folk/candids/images/Monocle%20Man.jpg

BigRedChief
03-24-2009, 09:54 AM
You like what you like, I like what I like. This is a personal prefrence/opinion thread.

Fire Me Boy!
03-24-2009, 10:18 AM
You like what you like, I like what I like. This is a personal prefrence/opinion thread.

To an extent yes, and while I'm not disparaging your taste for Jack Stack's burnt ends, I'm tellin' you: what Jack Stack bills as "burnt ends" are not burnt ends. That's not a matter of taste; that's a matter of fact.

I'd never disagree with someone else's taste (unless they said they actually like Masterpiece). But what the cut is matters; you can't call spareribs, babybacks, and you can't call brisket, burnt ends. They're not the same thing.

Burnt ends is a very specific way of cooking the brisket, and Jack Stack doesn't do it.

You like what you like, and that's fine. I actually like Jack Stack's burnt ends, because I'm a fan of brisket. But that's all it is, is cubed brisket.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2009, 09:51 AM
Per this poll, I'm heading to Jack Stack's later today. This is my 2nd KC BBQ experience. Gates was first.

What to order? I hear the burnt end sammich is the signature dish?

L.A. Chieffan
10-12-2009, 10:09 AM
LJ would order the heartless samwich with extra pussy sauce on the side...

Simply Red
10-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Per this poll, I'm heading to Jack Stack's later today. This is my 2nd KC BBQ experience. Gates was first.

you're still there?

HC_Chief
10-12-2009, 10:13 AM

Burnt ends are a KC BBQ signature dish.

at Jack Stack be sure to order their BBQ baked beans and cheesy corn. Those sides are amazing.

Can't go wrong with the burnt ends, brisket, and chicken.

gblowfish
10-12-2009, 10:14 AM
Boardroom BBQ in the poll doesn't exist any more. It was at 95th and Antioch, been gone for several years. A new player that I discovered and liked a lot was Big T's. They have a store close to LC's on Blue Parkway and another out south in the Hickman Mills area on Blue Ridge. They're good, not in the elite top three or four (Gates-Bryant's-OK Joes-Smokestack) but very good. You won't think you got ripped off, portions are good, beans are excellent.

Fire Me Boy!
10-12-2009, 10:19 AM

The burnt ends at JS are not burnt ends. It's cubed brisket. While they're pretty tasty, they are in no way true burnt ends. Their beans are quite good.

eazyb81
10-12-2009, 10:36 AM
Hey so has anyone heard about the burnt ends at Jack Stack? I hear they are the best in world?!

Simply Red
10-12-2009, 10:39 AM
The burnt ends at JS are not burnt ends. It's cubed brisket. While they're pretty tasty, they are in no way true burnt ends. Their beans are quite good.

most aren't, Zarda's even adds, cubed smoked ham to their flesh-medley.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2009, 10:41 AM
Burnt ends are a KC BBQ signature dish.

at Jack Stack be sure to order their BBQ baked beans and cheesy corn. Those sides are amazing.

Can't go wrong with the burnt ends, brisket, and chicken.

Noted!

To order: Faux burnt end sammich, BBQ beans, cheesy corn.

Anything else?

HC_Chief
10-12-2009, 10:50 AM
most aren't, Zarda's even adds, cubed smoked ham to their flesh-medley.

I am still pissed that the Zarda's by my house closed. :(

Donger
10-12-2009, 10:52 AM
Noted!

To order: Faux burnt end sammich, BBQ beans, cheesy corn.

Anything else?

I would suggest that you arrive there shortly. It gets a tad crowded around noon.

Hammock Parties
10-12-2009, 10:55 AM
I won't be there until around 2. I'm sure the crowd will thin out by then.

HC_Chief
10-12-2009, 10:57 AM
I won't be there until around 2. I'm sure the crowd will thin out by then.

Yep. Which one?

I prefer the downtown location. Had the worst service of my life at the one on Metcalf. Worst waitress evar!

PunkinDrublic
10-12-2009, 11:18 AM
When I was up the weekend of the Raiders game I ate at smokestack on Wornall. I had the burnt ends there and it was awesome. I bought a souvenier hat. I don't know how it ranks amonst the BBQ joints in KC as it had been awhile since I'd been back but it was great to be cleansed from the crappy Texas BBQ I've endured here in the metroplex. The worst BBQ joint in KC is better than the best BBQ joint in TX.

Sure-Oz
10-12-2009, 11:19 AM
Anyone know why adams rib in lenexa has been shutdown

Sure-Oz
10-12-2009, 11:20 AM
http://www.adamsribkc.com/

nevermind, major bummer but tthey still cater...i enjoyed going there during lunch at work from time to time

Simply Red
10-12-2009, 11:28 AM
I am still pissed that the Zarda's by my house closed. :(

Lenexa?

sedated
10-12-2009, 11:50 AM
http://www.adamsribkc.com/

nevermind, major bummer but tthey still cater...i enjoyed going there during lunch at work from time to time

I went there once, its right by my house. it was slow all the time, not a shcker they closed.

they did do a good job disinfecting that place from the atmosphere of the dive biker bar that was there before. whoever is the next tenant should be appreciative.

Reaper16
10-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Man, GoChiefs. You should have me take you on a BBQ tour instead of leaving your choices up to polls like this.

If you're committed to Jack Stack, get a combo plate of some kind. I almost always get a rib & 1 meat dinner (choice of pork, beef or lamb ribs & choice of burnt ends, brisket, sausage, ham, turkey, pork). The best thing you will eat at Jack Stack are the beans. I've never had better beans. I can't think of enough superlatives to describe them.