PDA

View Full Version : TO suspension to be cut -- T.O. going on Waivers?

mac58
11-23-2005, 10:38 AM
and looks like eagles r gonna cut him
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2005/football/nfl/11/23/bc.fbp.lgns.eaglesowens.r/index.html

Inspector
11-23-2005, 10:39 AM
They need him in the CFL.

chagrin
11-23-2005, 10:39 AM
well, if this does actually happen, it will be funny watching him play for Houston

Story here (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AipqxmT_2Rn.q41gWUnsGt45nYcB?slug=eaglesowens&prov=st&type=lgns)

NEW YORK (Ticker) - Terrell Owens may get his wish after all.

According to a report in Newsday, arbitrator Richard Bloch is expected to reduce Owens' four-game suspension from four games to one or two games later Wednesday.

Owens was suspended four games by Reid for conduct detrimental to the team November 9. The NFL Players Association is seeking to have the suspension reduced and wants the Eagles to cut Owens if they have no intention of playing him again.

ADVERTISEMENT

The report indicates that the Eagles, who planned to de-activate Owens for the remainder of the season, will release the mercurial superstar receiver instead. Philadelphia is concerned that Owens will cause a distraction if the ruling allows him to return to the Eagles' practice facility.

Owens has stated all along that he wants to return to the Eagles, but would want to be released if Philadelphia didn't plan to play him. If released, Owens would go through the league's waiver system, with the worst team getting the first shot of claiming him.

Owens is making a base salary of $3.75 million this season

chagrin
11-23-2005, 10:40 AM
that's funny, we posted the two stories at the same time, could a mod please delete mine?

chefsos
11-23-2005, 10:49 AM
MAC58 worked you, dude. If you had only gone off one minute faster.

We, as guys, just don't hear that very often.

chefsos
11-23-2005, 10:56 AM
It'd be kinda hilarious if SF picked him up.

(Fair is fair. I bumped Chagrin's thread, and yours was first.)

jAZ
11-23-2005, 10:56 AM
Time to pluck him off Waivers in my fantasy leagues.

htismaqe
11-23-2005, 10:57 AM
No reason to delete it...

jAZ
11-23-2005, 10:57 AM
Let's have two discussions - it's double the fun!

jAZ
11-23-2005, 10:59 AM
No reason to delete it...
Of course not, then we are back to just half the fun we are having now!

chagrin
11-23-2005, 11:01 AM
Well, Houston has the worst record, so they would have first claim at him

htismaqe
11-23-2005, 11:02 AM
Of course not, then we are back to just half the fun we are having now!

It's called "merge".

Extra Point
11-23-2005, 11:06 AM
No offers from any team. That would send a message to the NFLPA that the organizations won't take threats from players who think they are bigger than the game.

RINGLEADER
11-23-2005, 11:11 AM
No way T.O. clears waivers...the media dream that sends him to Denver just ain't gonna happen without a trade.

DaneMcCloud
11-23-2005, 11:11 AM
He'll be claimed for sure. If not by one of the worst teams in the league, he'll be claimed by a good team just so that they wouldn't have either face him, or see an instant improvement in a division rival.

Dallas, NY Giants, Chiefs, Chargers, Jax, Denver, Seattle and Minnesota could all use him in their playoff run. Since it's Vermiel's last shot, I wouldn't be upset if the Chiefs got him for their playoff run. That might be enough to help them go deep in the playoffs.

Dane

RINGLEADER
11-23-2005, 11:12 AM
BTW, profootballtalk.com has a good article on the options that the Eagles have in spite of a ruling like the one the Newsday is speculating about. My favorite was letting T.O. back on the team...the scout team...to circumvent any ruling requiring that he be allowed to participate...

B_Ambuehl
11-23-2005, 11:12 AM
That's the NFL making the Eagles do that not the Eagles doing it voluntarily. Those bastards know TO draws attention, sells tickets, and brings in $$$, neither of which he can do if he's deactivated.

Hoover
11-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Wouldn't the Pack have the second chance at him? Thats where I think he would go.

jAZ
11-23-2005, 11:23 AM
It's called "merge".
Well are you going to? You are a mod, right?

jAZ
11-23-2005, 11:26 AM
Well are you going to? You are a mod, right?
Oops, looks like I just needed to hit "refresh" on the Lounge page.

htismaqe
11-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Oops, looks like I just needed to hit "refresh" on the Lounge page.

ROFL

jAZ
11-23-2005, 11:27 AM
Wouldn't the Pack have the second chance at him? Thats where I think he would go.
Aren't they now out of the playoffs? Why would be bring him in for the rest of the season when you have nothing to play for? If they had won a game or two recently, I think you'd be right about this though.

CupidStunt
11-23-2005, 11:42 AM
Maybe KC can get him in time for week 13 so he can embarrass Champ Bailey for the 2nd time this season?

htismaqe
11-23-2005, 11:43 AM
Maybe KC can get him in time for week 13 so he can embarrass Champ Bailey for the 2nd time this season?

Shit, it doesn't take TO. Eddie Kennison can embarrass Chump...

jAZ
11-23-2005, 12:41 PM
Sounds like TO is screwed... reports on ESPN are that the Eagles won the case. The suspension has been upheld and he'll be de-activated for the rest of the year.

Kclee
11-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Sounds like TO is screwed... reports on ESPN are that the Eagles won the case. The suspension has been upheld and he'll be de-activated for the rest of the year.

Yep.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051123/ap_on_sp_fo_ne/fbn_owens_hearing;_ylt=Arn5IxIIzdhgX0FP6MQrf9is0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cm82NXAwBHNlYwM3NTU-

PHILADELPHIA - An arbitrator has upheld the Philadelphia Eagles' four-game suspension of Terrell Owens, and the team has the right to deactivate him.

Arbitrator Richard Bloch heard more than 13 hours of arguments last week.

Owens' side argued the penalty is excessive and the Eagles' plan — which is to deactivate him when that time is up — is too severe. Owens is seeking reinstatement to the Eagles or a release so he can sign with another team.

The Eagles maintain the suspension is fair and are willing to pay Owens about $1 million to stay home the final five games.

Owens was suspended Nov. 5 after he again criticized quarterback Donovan McNabb, called the organization "classless" and fought with former teammate Hugh Douglas, who serves as team "ambassador."

Two days later, the Eagles extended the suspension to four games and told Owens not to return to the team. The reigning conference champions are 0-3 without Owens and 4-6 overall, last in the NFC East.

Owens has five years remaining on a seven-year, $48.97 million contract that he signed when he came to Philadelphia in March 2004. His problems started when he demanded a new contract after an outstanding season in which he caught 77 passes for 1,200 yards and 14 touchdowns, helping the Eagles reach the Super Bowl.

With Owens, the Eagles are 17-5 over two seasons. Without him, they're 2-5, including two meaningless losses and two playoff wins.

dirk digler
11-23-2005, 12:44 PM
Wow I thought Bloch would rule for TO. This is great news IMO.

Wallcrawler
11-23-2005, 12:48 PM
They had to rule for the Eagles. Terrell Owens has to learn that he cant just get his way every time he throws a little tantrum.

If they had ruled for T.O. in this case, then T.O. would have been even harder to handle in the future because he would think he could just cry and whine and get his punishment overturned again.

It will be good for him to be forced to sit and stfu. The only unfortunate thing in the whole thing is that the Eagles still have to pay him for the deactivation period.

Maybe he will learn to keep his big mouth shut from now on. I think it would be hilarious if he wound up like Freddie Mitchell, with nowhere to play.

robot monster
11-23-2005, 12:49 PM
That's great to hear. Although I would have liked to see the 9ers pick up his rights off waivers.

Amnorix
11-23-2005, 12:57 PM
There is a God!!!

(methaphorically speaking, of course. Despite the ruling, I remain a heathen.)

Amnorix
11-23-2005, 12:59 PM
With Owens, the Eagles are 17-5 over two seasons. Without him, they're 2-5, including two meaningless losses and two playoff wins.

err....So TO is why the Iggles were great before and suck now? I really don't see it.

They were really good for 4 years in a row, and finally got over the top, and into the SB, even though they played the two playoff games last year without him.

This year, the wheels have come off in every conceivable way. Not jsut TO, but many injuries, including to McNabb, who is now possibly out for the season. And yet you post this supposedly useful synopsis proving that it's all about TO?

Get a grip.

Oh, and one loss was not so meaningless, even though he was in the lineup -- the Super Bowl!!!

chefsos
11-23-2005, 01:10 PM
err....So TO is why the Iggles were great before and suck now? I really don't see it.

They were really good for 4 years in a row, and finally got over the top, and into the SB, even though they played the two playoff games last year without him.

This year, the wheels have come off in every conceivable way. Not jsut TO, but many injuries, including to McNabb, who is now possibly out for the season. And yet you post this supposedly useful synopsis proving that it's all about TO?

Get a grip.

Oh, and one loss was not so meaningless, even though he was in the lineup -- the Super Bowl!!!

I assume you're directing your ire at this guy?: By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer

Lzen
11-23-2005, 01:33 PM

Get a grip.

Yeah, I thought the same thing when reading that. It's not like the Eagles had TO when they went to the NFC Championship game 3 years in a row. And their 4th in a row last year was, like you said, without TO.

I sure would like to know why Newsday speculated one thing and the yahoo story says otherwise. WTH?

Amnorix
11-23-2005, 02:08 PM
I assume you're directing your ire at this guy?: By ROB MAADDI, AP Sports Writer

Yes, sorry. My ire is directed at whatever babbling buffoon put in stats that suggested that the Iggles success over the last few years was due to that tremendous assclown.