PDA

View Full Version : Herm Edwards not leaving NYJ

Carlota69
11-23-2005, 04:33 PM
Just saw this on ESPN

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- Jets owner Woody Johnson vowed coach Herman Edwards would return to the team next season, saying Wednesday "Herm's not leaving."

Speculation has centered around Edwards being a candidate for a possible job opening in Kansas City should Dick Vermeil retire. Edwards did little to quell the talk last week when he wondered about his future with the organization, then backpedaled and said he wanted to stay with the team.

The vote of confidence came three days after Johnson brushed aside questions on Edwards' future following a 27-0 loss to Denver. Rather than comment on the coach, Johnson would only say the team "gave it all it gave" and kept walking as reporters tried to ask him questions.

On Wednesday, Johnson discussed his coach and struggling team (2-8), mired in a five-game losing streak.

"I think he's performing fabulously," Johnson said. "We're not winning, but he's doing everything he can to win and I think the team is doing everything they can to win. When I'm down at league meetings and I talk to my colleagues down there, they say, 'Woody, this happens, unfortunately."'

Edwards has two years left on his contract, and it is believed he wants an extension because he is faced with another rebuilding effort. When asked about the prospects of giving Edwards an extension, Johnson declined comment.

"The answer of the question is that he wants to be here and I want him here," Johnson said. "We're not going to talk about contracts and so on, but I can't make it any clearer: I think Herm's great. He's great for this team."

Johnson addressed the team following practice and pledged his support to the team and Edwards.

"He didn't have to do that because I know our stand with Mr. Johnson, we've had a relationship for five years, a very good working relationship," Edwards said. "Our relationship was formed on one thing and one thing only: trust. We both trust each other, we both understand what we're trying to do here."

cdcox
11-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Dang. That vote of confidence means he is definitely going to be available.

chefsos
11-23-2005, 04:37 PM
Johnson's trolling for that draft pick that he can't get.

Carlota69
11-23-2005, 04:39 PM

Yeah, I kind of thought that too.

milkman
11-24-2005, 12:07 PM

Let's hope, in this case, Johnson's woody for Hermie is real.

KCFalcon59
11-24-2005, 12:14 PM
Jets keep losing and they will be drafting Leinart.