PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan: DT might have better shot at HOF after '06

tk13
11-25-2005, 02:15 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13252279.htm

Derrick Thomas may have better shot at Hall of Fame in ’07 or ’08

JEFFREY FLANAGAN

Those Chiefs fans hoping that Derrick Thomas will make it into the Pro Football Hall of Fame this time around probably will be disappointed.

Thomas seemed to be on the verge of making it last year. He made the cut to 25, then made the cut to 15 and even made it to the cut of 10. But Thomas was left out of the cut to the six finalists.

This time around, Thomas again has made the cut to 25. The cut to 15 will be announced in mid-January.

But this class presents some tough competition. Many observers believe Reggie White and Troy Aikman are virtual locks. And you still have Michael Irvin left over from last year — Irvin made the cut to six last February.

Then, throw in Thurman Thomas and all those Super Bowls. And even Warren Moon, who threw for more than 49,000 yards and won five CFL titles. Remember, it’s the Pro Football Hall of Fame, not the NFL Hall of Fame.

In other words, there’s a pretty good chance Thomas won’t make it again this time.

Here’s the good news: Thomas’ chances should increase significantly with the class of 2007 and the class of 2008.

The so-called “A” list of first-time eligible players in 2007 includes Bruce Matthews, Randall Cunningham and Randall McDaniel. Some consider Matthews a lock. But was he really a dominant player of his time? Was McDaniel? Did either change games the way Thomas could?

The class of 2008 is even weaker: Darrell Green, Cris Carter and Lomas Brown. Game-changers? Green was dominant and might be a first-ballot guy. As for Carter, he was a great possession receiver. So was Art Monk, and he’s not even in yet.

That should leave the door wide open for Derrick Thomas in one of those years.

On the subject of the Hall of Fame, you can expect perhaps more fireworks regarding the voting process.

Remember last year when KCFX’s Bob Gretz, who has the Kansas City vote, was attacked by Sports Illustrated ’s Paul Zimmerman, who basically said Gretz blew Thomas’ chances of entry into the Hall because of a poor presentation to the other voters?

Well, imagine what it might be like this February if Thomas again comes up short. Do you think Jack Harry might present an opinion on Gretz’s role in the matter?

Spicy McHaggis
11-25-2005, 02:19 AM
Do you think Jack Harry might present an opinion on Gretz’s role in the matter?

Um, no one cares what Harry says, We laugh a little, shake our heads and somewhere an angel of professional journalism loses its wings.

Logical
11-25-2005, 02:33 AM
I heard the candidates for this year and immediately wrote off DT's chances for this year. Sad really.

Miles
11-25-2005, 02:35 AM
I heard the candidates for this year and immediately wrote off DT's chances for this year. Sad really.

Agreed. Its too bad its a tough year to get in.

tk13
11-25-2005, 02:43 AM
Really to be honest, I don't think Aikman is any more deserving than DT. I think Aikman was a great player and deserves to be in, but I really don't think he was more of an impact player than DT. I know that's not how it's gonna be because he plays for the Cowboys and the rings he has, but still...

Miles
11-25-2005, 02:47 AM
Really to be honest, I don't think Aikman is any more deserving than DT. I think Aikman was a great player and deserves to be in, but I really don't think he was more of an impact player than DT. I know that's not how it's gonna be because he plays for the Cowboys and the rings he has, but still...

Yeah I don't think that Aikman was overly great either, but like you said his part in those championship teams will easly get him in.

tk13
11-25-2005, 03:16 AM
Yeah I don't think that Aikman was overly great either, but like you said his part in those championship teams will easly get him in.
Really, his numbers are a bit underwhelming, more than most would probably think. He passed for more than 20 TD's in a season just once. He had 4 seasons with more INT than TD, and two others where he had just one more TD than INT. He finished in the top 5 in the NFL in passing completions, yardage, and TD's just once... all in 1992.

He never passed for 3500 yards in a season. Kerry Collins and Peyton Manning are both within a couple hundred yards of passing him on the career passing yardage list. Aikman averaged 199.6 passing yds/game for his career, played in 165 games and threw 165 TD's. If you want to compare him to Trent Green, Trent averages about 244 yds/game for his career, and has thrown 143 TD's in 89 career games.

I know you can't do this, but... If you projected Trent's ratio over Aikman's 165 games, Trent would have 265 TD's, 100 more than Aikman... which would put him only behind Marino, Favre, Tarkenton, Elway, Moon, Unitas, and Testaverde all time. Gives you an idea at the type of numbers Trent Green has put up in his career.

Aikman basically had two really good years... 92 and 93... their two Super Bowl years under Jimmie Johnson. If you look at the rest of his career aside from those two years, he had a 127 TD/121 INT ratio... and a 10 TD/14 INT ratio in the playoffs. During their 92-93 run though, he had 38 TD/20 INT during the regular season, and 14 TD/3 INT in the playoffs. That's basically what's going to get him in.

Logical
11-25-2005, 03:19 AM
Really to be honest, I don't think Aikman is any more deserving than DT. I think Aikman was a great player and deserves to be in, but I really don't think he was more of an impact player than DT. I know that's not how it's gonna be because he plays for the Cowboys and the rings he has, but still...I agree with you completely. But three things fair or not work in his favor:

The HOF has always put a premium on QBs whether that is right or not.
He has those Championships (cannot deny that qualification)
He was a poised player and a solid NFL citizen (publicity icon)

Right or not it gives him a distinct advantage over DT.

Miles
11-25-2005, 03:28 AM
Really, his numbers are a bit underwhelming, more than most would probably think. He passed for more than 20 TD's in a season just once. He had 4 seasons with more INT than TD, and two others where he had just one more TD than INT. He finished in the top 5 in the NFL passing completions, yardage, and TD's just once... all in 1992.

He never passed for 3500 yards in a season. Kerry Collins and Peyton Manning are both within a couple hundred yards of passing him on the career passing yardage list. Aikman averaged 199.6 passing yds/game for his career, played in 165 games and threw 165 TD's. If you want to compare him to Trent Green, Trent averages about 244 yds/game for his career, and has thrown 143 TD's in 89 career games.

Aikman basically had two really good years... 92 and 93... their two Super Bowl years under Jimmie Johnson. If you look at the rest of his career aside from those two years, he had a 127 TD/121 INT ratio... and a 10 TD/14 INT ratio in the playoffs. During their 92-93 run though, he had 38 TD/20 INT during the regular season, and 14 TD/3 INT in the playoffs. That's basically what's going to get him in.

Yeah I use to mess with one of my friends in collge pretty often about Aikmans numbers. His lack of passing TDs was really easy to attack.

Hammock Parties
11-25-2005, 04:54 AM
GOD DAMMIT!

WHEN IS IT GONNA BE OUR MOTHERF*CKING TURN!

We never get SHIT as football fans.

JBucc
11-25-2005, 07:28 AM
The voters for the football hof are ****ing retards. I really don't give a shit if he gets in cause I know he's a hall of famer and all that matters is what I think.

cdcox
11-25-2005, 10:35 AM

Yep. If Bob Greise got in, then Aikman makes it easily.

Deberg_1990
11-25-2005, 10:38 AM

Aikman - 3 Super Bowl Titles

Thomas - 0

Just because Aikman wasnt a "Fantasy QB" Stud, doesnt mean he wasnt a great QB. Hell, Jeff George was a better "Numbers" QB than Aikman ever was, but did that make him great?? I cant stand how fantasy football has consumed everyones minds.

tk13
11-25-2005, 02:31 PM
Aikman - 3 Super Bowl Titles

Thomas - 0

Just because Aikman wasnt a "Fantasy QB" Stud, doesnt mean he wasnt a great QB. Hell, Jeff George was a better "Numbers" QB than Aikman ever was, but did that make him great?? I cant stand how fantasy football has consumed everyones minds.
You put DT on those Dallas teams, and Aikman on those KC teams... then tell me who'd have the three rings.

shaneo69
11-25-2005, 02:34 PM
You put DT on those Dallas teams, and Aikman on those KC teams... then tell me who'd have the three rings.

I don't know....who would the Dallas QB have been? Steve Walsh, Steve Pelluer, Babe Laufenberg?

tk13
11-25-2005, 02:39 PM
I don't know....who would the Dallas QB have been? Steve Walsh, Steve Pelluer, Babe Laufenberg?
They had Steve Beuerlein, Bernie Kosar, Wade Wilson... etc... it wouldn't have mattered. They had a HOF RB, WR, and O-line... Pro Bowl FB and TE... and they already had a great defense. It would've went up a whole other level with a guy like DT on the field. They would've been unstoppable.

milkman
11-25-2005, 02:43 PM

Leave DT on the Chiefs, and put Aikman on the Chiefs, would Aikman have three SB rings?

Or even just one?

Aikman, IMO, was Steve Bono with a great coach and great RB.

shaneo69
11-25-2005, 02:46 PM
They had Steve Beuerlein, Bernie Kosar, Wade Wilson... etc... it wouldn't have mattered. They had a HOF RB, WR, and O-line... Pro Bowl FB and TE... and they already had a great defense. It would've went up a whole other level with a guy like DT on the field. They would've been unstoppable.

I think the Cowboys already had that dimension with Charles Haley.

Deberg_1990
11-25-2005, 02:50 PM

Your kidding right?? hahah....IM not saying Aikman was the greatest or anything but in his prime, 1991-1995 or so, he was extremely accurate. Could you say that Bono??

shaneo69
Leave DT on the Chiefs, and put Aikman on the Chiefs, would Aikman have three SB rings?

Or even just one?

I think Aikman was better than Bono, but probably more similar to Bob Griese, who someone else mentioned in this thread.

If Montana couldn't get us to a Super Bowl, Aikman wouldn't have been able to do it either.

I think Aikman and DT deserve to be there.

tk13
I think the Cowboys already had that dimension with Charles Haley.
So? We had Neil Smith... didn't make DT any less effective. Just would've been another weapon opposing O's had to worry about.

Deberg_1990
11-25-2005, 02:54 PM

no doubt, DT deserves to be there. It just unfortunate that its another year loaded with great eligibles.

milkman
11-25-2005, 02:59 PM
Your kidding right?? hahah....IM not saying Aikman was the greatest or anything but in his prime, 1991-1995 or so, he was extremely accurate. Could you say that Bono??

Bono looked pretty damn good in SF.

Aikman was accurate, but how do you suppose he would have fared in Marty's offense?

I think we'd probably speaking about him in the same glowing terms that we speak of Bono.

JMO.

milkman
11-25-2005, 03:01 PM
I think Aikman was better than Bono, but probably more similar to Bob Griese, who someone else mentioned in this thread.

If Montana couldn't get us to a Super Bowl, Aikman wouldn't have been able to do it either.

Csonka, Kick(?), Morris, Warfield.

Another example of an average QB surrounded by superior talent.