PDA

View Full Version : XBox 360

Logical
11-25-2005, 03:11 AM
I was thinking of getting it as a gift but I have been hearing bad reports about the ones out there having frequent problems such as lock up etc.

What do you folks know, is it a safe purchase or do I need to wait for more units to be released and the problems resolved?

kcxiv
11-25-2005, 03:23 AM
its goign to be a good system. Probalby is a little bit buggy right now maybe. Just wait til the 2-3 or 4th round of Xbox are made. Then they will be just fine. I just hear madden 360 is shit. If you like to do the side shit like mini camp, season and practice modes. you cant, its not in the game. I dont know what your going ot use the xbox for, i am a sports gamer. so anything sports i usually play. And play online. its more fun.

Logical
11-25-2005, 03:32 AM
its goign to be a good system. Probalby is a little bit buggy right now maybe. Just wait til the 2-3 or 4th round of Xbox are made. Then they will be just fine. I just hear madden 360 is shit. If you like to do the side shit like mini camp, season and practice modes. you cant, its not in the game. I dont know what your going ot use the xbox for, i am a sports gamer. so anything sports i usually play. And play online. its more fun.It is not for me, my gaming days are long since past. This would be a present for someone else. Uses them for sports, fighting games, the Japanese game genre etc.

Valiant
11-25-2005, 03:35 AM
Make sure you get a replacement plan... That is how I upgrade my systems... Man I hate black friday, have to be at work in twenty minutes...

Pants
I've heard about idiots posting false reports and I've seen screencaps of a crashed 360. Personally, if I had the money and really wanted it, I'd buy it. I don't think there much of a risk in it, but I also think there might be some bad ones. There's a chance that anything new you buy might break the next day, I don't think the risk is any greater than that with the 360's. Hell, I remeber when I got my Xbox in 2003 (2 years after release) and it was broken out of the box. Just went back to the store and got a new one.

kcxiv
My gaming days will never pass, will be 60 and still firing up the xbox 15. Its definately going to be around a while. And they will have great games for it. 400 is a little steep for the core version though.

Reaper16
11-25-2005, 03:37 AM
My gaming days will never pass, will be 60 and still firing up the xbox 15. Its definately going to be around a while. And they will have great games for it. 400 is a little steep for the core version though.
Yeah, $400 is pricey. But do not even think about buying the $300 "Core" package. Biggest. Rip-off. Ever. You have to go $400 if you want this console, period.

kcxiv
11-25-2005, 04:10 AM
400, plus 60 for a game, then another 40 for a 2nd controler. Bend over and grab the ankles. :(

Mecca
11-25-2005, 04:49 AM
I have one, my best friend has one. We've had no problems with it. I think they're doing pretty well with their launch systems. It's just a matter of when you launch there are of course going to be some defective systems. And as Metro said alot of the reports out there are false ones by Microsoft haters.

JBucc
11-25-2005, 07:30 AM
If someone wants to put up the 400 I'll test one out for you.

Ultra Peanut
11-25-2005, 07:57 AM
Supposedly, it gets very hot, so making sure it's in a place that's not going to act as an oven for it seems to be one of the more important things. Honestly, I think the odds of any one person in particular getting a borked 360 are low, but anything can happen, especially in the early days of a console release.

The early PS2s had lots of problems, IIRC.

jidar
11-25-2005, 08:48 AM
You can rest easy vlad because the decision has been made for you.
The part everyone is forgetting to mention is that if you haven't pre-ordered your Xbox 360 you're not going to get it before christmas anyway.
There simply aren't enough to go around.

rageeumr
11-25-2005, 09:08 AM
The part everyone is forgetting to mention is that if you haven't pre-ordered your Xbox 360 you're not going to get it before christmas anyway.
There simply aren't enough to go around.

Oh you can get one.. it's just whether or not you want to pay double the MSRP (consistently going for around $800 on ebay for the premium package.)

GoTrav
11-25-2005, 09:54 AM
Oh you can get one.. it's just whether or not you want to pay double the MSRP (consistently going for around $800 on ebay for the premium package.)

ya, that's insanity. Every store I've been to has no idea when they will be getting more systems in, so the decision has been made for me too. I'd buy one if I found a premium system at a store but who knows when most stores will be stocked again. I'm still trying to see the strategy behind not meeting the demand. I would thing from now until Christmas is when they would rake it in, but they supply just isn't there and no one knows crap about when more systems will be delivered.

Adept Havelock
11-25-2005, 10:01 AM
Typical Microsoft. Making people pay through the nose for the privilige of being beta-testers.

Wait till Xbox 360 1.1 or 1.2 at least. The 1.0 Xbox's were crash-prone, and the one's with the Thompson drives that followed were even worse, from what I've seen. Very nice as a media center/jukebox when properly modded though.

Rausch
11-25-2005, 10:03 AM
I was thinking of getting it as a gift but I have been hearing bad reports about the ones out there having frequent problems such as lock up etc.

What do you folks know, is it a safe purchase or do I need to wait for more units to be released and the problems resolved?

Knowing the XB2 is running the PowerPC chips made by IBM (and used in Mac's) makes me want it. The chips run cooler and are more stable. They won't match the upper level Pentium stuff but they're perfect for compact consoles like the videogame.

Now, that said, I'm not buying any new console on first launch. Every new console has bugs to work out (first PS2's wouldn't play all DVD's) and I wouldn't recomend buying one until they are.

JMO...

Deberg_1990
11-25-2005, 10:30 AM
XBOX2 = Sega Dreamcast

KC Kings
11-25-2005, 10:36 AM
Xbox's are like MAC's, better machines, better graphics, but expensive with a limited number of games/applications available for the systems. The controller is kind of like a MAC mouse, loved by those that use it, but uncomfortable for the rest of the world and hard to get used to.

I am slowy being pushed away from video games, because with a job/wife/kids I don't have the time to keep the rust off of the skills, but that "Call of Duty" commercial for the X-Box 360 looks fricking awesome in hi-def!

Deberg_1990
11-25-2005, 10:40 AM
I am slowy being pushed away from video games, because with a job/wife/kids I don't have the time to keep the rust off of the skills

I hear yea! Same problem as me.....I dont get how some of you guys find the time to sit down and play these games for hours upon end???

Ultra Peanut
11-25-2005, 11:54 AM
XBOX2 = Sega DreamcastIf you're talking about the quality of the system and its games, there are much, much worse things to be. If you're talking about its financial success and lifespan, fat chance. Sega was not exactly rolling in the dough; Microsoft uses rolls of hundred dollar bills to wipe their butts.

Xbox's are like MAC's, better machines, better graphics, but expensive with a limited number of games/applications available for the systems.Not really. Aside from a few PS2- and GC-exclusives, the XBox's library is/was very robust, with many excellent exclusives of its own. We'll have to wait and see about the 360 (and the PS3 and the Rev), but it's looking as good as or better than its predecessor in terms of library size and quality, if the signs so far are any indication.

The controller is kind of like a MAC mouse, loved by those that use it, but uncomfortable for the rest of the world and hard to get used to.Hardly. The Duke was ridiculously awful, but the S-Controller is arguably one of the best controllers in video game history; and the 360 controller improves upon it. It's ergonomic and very easy to hold, has excellent and responsive trigger buttons and analog sticks that put the Dual Shock 2's to shame, has a sensible button layout that, aside from the jewel buttons sometimes, lead to effortless control, and best of all, doesn't fall apart or start screwing up after a few months like a lot of Dual Shocks.

You practically cradle the S-Controller in a very comfortable position; the Dual Shock is unnatural and a tad awkward, despite still managing to work very well as a controller in its own right. The 360 continues working on the brilliant simplicity of the S, while Sony goes in an even more unnatural direction for the PS3.

It's all a matter of personal preference, but to me, the XBox wins the controller battle of this and the next generation by far, unless the Revolution really lives up to its hype.

Wa-Z
11-25-2005, 12:02 PM
I'd wait for the PS3 next year.

Ultra Peanut
11-25-2005, 12:13 PM
Ooh, some sexy little tidbits I just stumbled upon that I hadn't heard about before:

# The console also now starts remotely, right from the controller. Couch potatoes rejoice once more.

# Custom soundtracks are now MANDATORY for every game, (so you don't have to listen to those godawful "EA trax"!) What's more, custom soundtracks are also expanded by a large degree -- like with regular media playback from the dashboard, now not only can you rip music to the hard drive and play it from there, you can also choose to play the music straight from a portable device (like an iPod or PSP), streamed. In game. The Kameo video in the gallery demonstrates this, check it out to see this functionality in action.

YES!

Deberg_1990
11-25-2005, 12:44 PM
I'd wait for the PS3 next year.

or Nintendo Revolution. IM guesing it will be alot cheaper than $399 at launch.

carlos3652
11-25-2005, 12:55 PM
My .02

I have one, Have not been playing the snot out of it, and it has been working great... I think anything will have issues if you leave it on and play with it 24/7... (Im sure most of the kids that were in line with me are doing that). I on the other hand have a life and have to post on chiefsplanet :).

Anyways, I think if you treat it right and turn it off, or if you dont play 24/7 you should be ok.

With regarding the pricing,
1. DO NOT PURCHASE ON EBAY - well overpriced
2. Purchase the premium package, no reason to purchase core.
3. PS3 is going to come out between $350-$400 and are going to lose a shite load of money... the processor they are using costs much more and to make a profit, they would have to sell the system at $500-$550... but they wouldnt be able to compete in pricing with the 360.

Anyways... I think you are safe if the user isnt a 13 year old that leaves it on 24/7....

Deberg_1990
11-25-2005, 12:59 PM
Anyways... I think you are safe if the user isnt a 13 year old that leaves it on 24/7....

I want to know the 13 year olds that have $399???? I sure as hell never had that much when i was 13

ZootedGranny
11-25-2005, 01:00 PM
Ooh, some sexy little tidbits I just stumbled upon that I hadn't heard about before:
YES!

Or, you can stream them from your PC.

Where MS has the edge (at least for now) over Sony in the next gen race is their online connectivity and the overlooked Xbox Arcade. Live on 360 is what is should've been on the original Xbox. It's completely seamless, to the point where you can talk with a friend, even while playing two completely different games. Then, if he invites you to a match, you can walk over and switch out games without breaking the conversation.

They've also taken a step they should have last generation with a reputation rating that works across the entire platform. It used to be people would get banned from Halo 2 (who had some semblance of a reputation system, thin as it was), but could then jump across and berate people on other games. Now their reputation is system wide, so, in theory, eventually complete assholes will end up only playing other complete assholes.

As for the Live Arcade, it opens up the machine to small developers. Two people I know of have written small time wasting games and have sent them to MS, who then in turn greenlighted them to be ported over to the Live Arcade. They charge $5 for the game and get a cut of it.

Plus, MS has deals with many developers to port their old games to the current gen, giving them a resolution upgrade and adding multiplayer. Hopefully soon enough we'll be playing Daytona USA across Live.

Hopefully, Sony sees how MS's Live service works and comes up with a similar interface, because I know they'll definitely have the games to compete. Where it will get interesting is seeing how 1st gen PS3 games compare graphically to 2nd gen 360 games.

ZootedGranny
11-25-2005, 01:09 PM
3. PS3 is going to come out between $350-$400 and are going to lose a shite load of money... the processor they are using costs much more and to make a profit, they would have to sell the system at $500-$550... but they wouldnt be able to compete in pricing with the 360.

I have to agree as far as them losing money. Ken Kutaragi, Sony's president, has hinted several times that it will be very expensive...saying things like it "can't be offered at a price that's targeted towards households."

I can't wait until iSuppli does their breakdown of the PS3 just to see how much it costs Sony. They recently did a teardown of the 360, and as of right now it costs MS about $525 to manufacture the premium ($400) version, with the GPU & CPU taking up nearly half of the cost of the system.

It was also interesting to see how they make their money back in peripherals (as usual...console makers nearly always lose money on the machine but make it back in accessories). It costs them $17 to make a wireless controller, but they retail for $50, while the hard drive costs them around $40 to make, yet sells for $100.

Ultra Peanut
11-25-2005, 02:55 PM
2. Purchase the premium package, no reason to purchase core.This cannot be emphasized enough. The core is a ripoff, at absolute best.

Logical
11-25-2005, 03:38 PM
There simply aren't enough to go around.OK, well maybe I can order it and present the order form as the gift to the person.

Thanks everyone for the info.

Jenson71
11-25-2005, 03:41 PM
This cannot be emphasized enough. The core is a ripoff, at absolute best.

What if you're not going to play online with it?

Deberg_1990
11-25-2005, 03:41 PM
This cannot be emphasized enough. The core is a ripoff, at absolute best.

Why did they bother even making them then?? They should have put more effort into making a few more of the higher end systems.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-25-2005, 03:43 PM
When is ps3 suppose to come out?

carlos3652
11-25-2005, 03:48 PM
Why did they bother even making them then?? They should have put more effort into making a few more of the higher end systems.

Some people dont have enough money to buy the premium, and if you have more money later you can always upgrade to the premium from core (buying the hard drive $100, the wireless remotes $49).

It came out so that people that didnt have $400 (that only had $300 - lol) can purchase one to... total rip...

MANY _ MANY _ MANY people were pissed when standing in line for over 12 hours only to find out the premiums were all gone, and only the core was left...

We had one of the guys that got a core at Midnight wanted to trade our spot in line (store opened @ 7) for the core... we were like... add an extra $150 so we can upgrade and we will... he was like, I am not going to wait another 6 hours and overpay for this shite... lol

carlos3652
11-25-2005, 03:48 PM
When is ps3 suppose to come out?

Spring 06

Ultra Peanut
11-25-2005, 03:49 PM
What if you're not going to play online with it?Still a complete ripoff, for the hard drive factor alone.

This says it better than I ever could:

Reactions to the Xbox 360 pricing have been all over the place, most of what I've seen is bad, but at the end of the day I doubt it really matters. People buy what they want to buy, even if it places them in mortal danger.

Gabe purchased his 3D0 for a total of four hundred dollars, and this was money he earned dodging golf balls at a driving range, so the true cost to him psychologically must have been profound - and he still managed to, for good or ill, make that shit happen. We played our Wing Commander and felt like we were on the cusp.

We were cusping.

I think the Xbox 360 is at least as cool as the 3D0 was. I also think that four hundred dollars is too Goddamn much - in any event, it's widely considered too much by those who will buy it anyway - but the three hundred dollar model isn't worth it at all. If you're ever planning to get

# a wireless controller,
# a remote control,
# a hard drive,
# hook the machine up High-Def,
# or play on Live

and you try to piece that stuff into (what they call) the Core System, the numbers don't work. I mean, look at those prices. At the very least, you're going to need their forty dollar memory card. The lower cost "sku" isn't for the "Wal-Mart" consumer, it's for ****ing retards.

I'm not trying to push you into the high cost option, I'm confident that the average Penny Arcade reader has been making sound, informed console buying decisions for as many as twenty years. I'm trying to say that their low cost option doesn't actually exist.

The "hard drive: optional" scenario is unfortunate, because I believed them last generation when they said local storage was critical for a modern, Internet capable system. I also watched as even the Playstation 2, the undisputed victor of the last generation, still wasn't able to make a fixed disk work as a peripheral developers would utilize. If they want to distinguish options for the system, there are many other peripherals to do it with outside of base functionality. Of course, they would say - as they have been telling developers for a year - that the machine minus the hard drive is the base system. I'm not saying that is out and out sophistry, I think it was a pragmatic decision - the original Xbox was an expensive experiment for Microsoft. The scenario is just suboptimal.

Honestly, when this x850 I have is no longer sufficient to play the Games Of The Future (I give it a year), I had hoped to retreat into consoles altogether, a land of relative sanity. I don't think this is a step in that direction. Dave Perry said some things in this Next-Gen article on 360 pricing that made my blood run cold, saying the PC is the model consoles need to be shooting for, upgradable texture memory and physics units and God knows what else. Jesus Christ, you guys. You're going to drive me back into tabletop full time.

(CW)TB out.

what have we done to you

carlos3652
11-25-2005, 03:58 PM
ROFL

Chiefs Pantalones
11-25-2005, 03:58 PM
Would it be best to wait for the ps3?

carlos3652
11-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Would it be best to wait for the ps3?

Well... it depends what you like... the 360 and the PS3 will have a lot a similarities yet still very different... If you only get one of the systems you will be losing out on the other... both of them bring great things but its comparing apples to oranges at this point...

Deberg_1990
11-25-2005, 04:23 PM
Well... it depends what you like... the 360 and the PS3 will have a lot a similarities yet still very different... If you only get one of the systems you will be losing out on the other... both of them bring great things but its comparing apples to oranges at this point...

What about the Nintendo Revolution? I know alot of people dog Nintendo out, but the gamecube is a VERY solid system for what it is and i still enjoy the Mario franchise.

carlos3652
11-25-2005, 04:37 PM
What about the Nintendo Revolution? I know alot of people dog Nintendo out, but the gamecube is a VERY solid system for what it is and i still enjoy the Mario franchise.

Nintendo has a very solid console... but the gamecube came out to please the 7-13 age group while the xbox and PS3 have the 14-older range...

I (23) have moved away from the nintendo system after the first PS came out... - I went from Atari (1986), NES (1988), SNES (1993). PS (1996), - Almost purchased PS2 but decided on Xbox (2001), Xbox 360 (2005) -

I purchase about 1 system every 4 years... thats reasonable... right... :shake:

SLAG
11-25-2005, 04:37 PM

Lets Compare Apples and Oranges..

Both are Fruit.

Both are Round in Shape.

Both can Be Eaten With Nothing but your hands and your Mouth.

Both Can be Bought in the same store.

:p

carlos3652
11-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Lets Compare Apples and Oranges..

Both are Fruit. Next Gen Video Game Consoles

Both are Round in Shape. Similar Configuration/Specs

Both can Be Eaten With Nothing but your hands and your Mouth. Both can be played by teens all night long to quench their thirst for gaming..

Both Can be Bought in the same store. Best Buy/ Circuit City/ Toys R US

:p

ROFL - True, all this applies to the 360 vs PS3. But they taste different. :p

Mecca
11-25-2005, 04:46 PM
I hear yea! Same problem as me.....I dont get how some of you guys find the time to sit down and play these games for hours upon end???

Some of us don't have wives or kids.

carlos3652
11-25-2005, 04:50 PM
Some of us don't have wives or kids.

I have these, I work all day, come home to them, spend some quality time until they go to bed... I usually play 1 hr at night, and then my Friday nights and Saturday Nights are late nights (i can sleep in).

Works great... Before wife an kids (hs/college) I would play everyday for about 6 hrs a day...

Mecca
11-25-2005, 04:55 PM
My best friend has a wife and a kid and still manages to find time to play but sometimes it's few and far between.

The funniest is my friend who has a female roommate. He will play and she'll flip out about how he's to old to still be playing video games. If you were there and saw it you'd laugh your ass off.

jidar
11-25-2005, 05:48 PM
I don't see how you can talk about the Ps3 and Revolution as being alternatives to the Xbox 360 when they are both a year away from even being available.

Right now, it's Xbox 360, or Ps2/Gamecube.

Gamers like myself who also happen to be gadget freaks don't even see waiting a year as an option. I mean seriously, that's a freaking year away man, I don't plan my entertainment around what I might be doing a year from now.

recxjake
11-25-2005, 05:53 PM
i heard on the news that microsoft is loosking money on eachone sold, but will make money in the end w/ games and licesning fees

morphius
11-25-2005, 06:02 PM
i heard on the news that microsoft is loosking money on eachone sold, but will make money in the end w/ games and licesning fees
Yeah, they are losing something in the range of $126 per unit sold. Have to sell a lot of games to make that up.

Mecca
11-25-2005, 06:06 PM
Sony's gonna lose more than that on the PS3 if everything that's suppose to be in it is in it.

unlurking
11-25-2005, 06:19 PM
I don't see how you can talk about the Ps3 and Revolution as being alternatives to the Xbox 360 when they are both a year away from even being available.

Right now, it's Xbox 360, or Ps2/Gamecube.

Gamers like myself who also happen to be gadget freaks don't even see waiting a year as an option. I mean seriously, that's a freaking year away man, I don't plan my entertainment around what I might be doing a year from now.
Agreed 100%.

Knew the Treo 650 was coming out about 6 months from the time I got my 600, but I got it anyway with the understanding that I would probably replace it with the Nokia 9300 a year or so down the road.

There will ALWAYS be something cooler coming out a year from now. So instead of buying that PS3 in the Spring, I may just plunk down the $750 for a 9300.

Pants
11-25-2005, 06:19 PM

That's been the case with pretty much every console. Both Sony and MS were and are losing money on their current gen (or I guess old gen, now).

morphius
11-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Sony's gonna lose more than that on the PS3 if everything that's suppose to be in it is in it.
Why is that? The only diff I know of is that they are going to have the blueray DVD format, which sony makes themselves.

Pants
11-25-2005, 06:28 PM
Why is that? The only diff I know of is that they are going to have the blueray DVD format, which sony makes themselves.

I'm not sure, but I think the cell process is extremely expensive. Might be why they decided to shy away from nVidia's brand new technology - the costs must have been insane.

unlurking
11-25-2005, 06:29 PM
Good question. I have a feeling that margins will be incredibaly similar.

ZootedGranny
11-25-2005, 06:48 PM

There's still a cost in in the BR format, and the Cell processor they'll use has been priced to cost $600 if made today (though obviously it's not). With the chip being so complex, the price will fall much more slowly than traditional processors, so I'm sure they'll be eating a couple hundred dollars at the very least.

However, Sony went with the Blu-Ray in much the same way they went with DVD in the PS2. At the time the PS2 was launched in Japan, there weren't many standalone players cheaper than the PS2, and the same will be expected with the PS3 & BR.

listopencil
11-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Ha! Screw them all. I just bought an XBOX. Not 360, just XBOX. It goes well with the PS2 that I bought three months ago. I'm looking forward to snagging up cheap games/accessories at Wal-Mart. I still get a kick out of old SNES games that I emu on my PC so these two systems seem really great to me. I'm going to stay one generation behind forever. PC's have taught me that I absolutely do not need cutting edge technology.

Logical
11-25-2005, 07:43 PM
Yeah, they are losing something in the range of $126 per unit sold. Have to sell a lot of games to make that up.Not really, games are almost pure profit after they pay off the development cost. The game itself and it's packaging probably cost them less than $5, how much less depends on the production run volume.

BigMeatballDave
11-25-2005, 10:18 PM
Typical Microsoft. Making people pay through the nose for the privilige of being beta-testers.

Wait till Xbox 360 1.1 or 1.2 at least. The 1.0 Xbox's were crash-prone, and the one's with the Thompson drives that followed were even worse, from what I've seen. Very nice as a media center/jukebox when properly modded though.Didn't Sony do the same thing with the PS2?

BigMeatballDave
11-25-2005, 10:21 PM
I'd wait for the PS3 next year.I am. I want the Blu-Ray feature...

Simplex3
11-25-2005, 10:48 PM
It makes me smile inside to think of all you guys caught on the console treadmill. Especially you guys that stood in lines to buy one. Christ. :shake:

6 months from now they'll be half that price with 10x the games and the pirating apps will be out. What exactly was the urge to have it NOW?

unlurking
11-25-2005, 10:54 PM
I am. I want the Blu-Ray feature...
Why?!

A year after you get the PS3, 1.6 TB (that's TERABYTE) optical discs will be hitting the market. Waiting for the "next big thing" is like waiting for the rapture. If you enjoy playing console games now, play them now. A new "killer" tech will always be around the corner, as will a heartache, stroke, or car accident. Life is for living, not waiting.

Valiant
11-25-2005, 11:04 PM
What if you're not going to play online with it?

Does not matter.. The core is for people that are not going to play the original xbox games... You can get online with the core unit, just not play xbox games...

Valiant
11-25-2005, 11:10 PM
Didn't Sony do the same thing with the PS2?

Yes..

funk monkey
11-25-2005, 11:12 PM
Honestly, the 360 doesnt look as good as the ps3 on paper, but if ur into rpg games and stuff like that u should get the ps3...but the games that 360 has (halo 3...) is what is gonna make it popular. in my mind it is overpriced.

htismaqe
11-25-2005, 11:18 PM
Does not matter.. The core is for people that are not going to play the original xbox games... You can get online with the core unit, just not play xbox games...

The reason for that is that playing XBox games will require an emulator and the hard drive.

The problem is that the emulators are written for specific games, so only a handful of popular XBox titles will be playable on the 360.

Valiant
11-25-2005, 11:28 PM
The reason for that is that playing XBox games will require an emulator and the hard drive.

The problem is that the emulators are written for specific games, so only a handful of popular XBox titles will be playable on the 360.

I know I was informing the other guy.. And actually MS said they will get most of the xbox games to be emulated over.. They are working backwards on the xbox games...

Pants
11-26-2005, 12:47 AM
Honestly, the 360 doesnt look as good as the ps3 on paper, but if ur into rpg games and stuff like that u should get the ps3...but the games that 360 has (halo 3...) is what is gonna make it popular. in my mind it is overpriced.

Or not. Ever heard of Oblivion? Besides, the new FF is already in the works for the 360. The 360 will have both US and Jap and RPG's, the days of Square Enix being a Sony exclusive are over.

Rausch
11-26-2005, 02:47 AM

Horrible, and no excuse for it.

Hell, Microsuck owns the software (console, that is) and the hardware.

What ****ing excuse can they have for it not being backwards compatable?

ZootedGranny
11-26-2005, 03:00 AM
Their excuse is that Nvidia supplied the GPU for the Xbox 1, and they went with ATI for the 360. It wasn't until mid summer that MS finally reached a multiyear licensing agreement with Nvidia so that they could have some form of backwards compatibility.

The 360 is basically emulating the Xbox, and the majority of the Xbox 1 games aren't natively compatible with the ATI chipset, thus many of the executables have to be recompiled.

MS has a giant list of games that are backwards compatible, but we've already found out that many have bad glitches, or outright freeze. It'll be a while before there's any sort of true compatibility with some of the Xbox 1 titles.

Rausch
11-26-2005, 03:31 AM
Their excuse is that Nvidia supplied the GPU for the Xbox 1, and they went with ATI for the 360. It wasn't until mid summer that MS finally reached a multiyear licensing agreement with Nvidia so that they could have some form of backwards compatibility.

The 360 is basically emulating the Xbox, and the majority of the Xbox 1 games aren't natively compatible with the ATI chipset, thus many of the executables have to be recompiled.

MS has a giant list of games that are backwards compatible, but we've already found out that many have bad glitches, or outright freeze. It'll be a while before there's any sort of true compatibility with some of the Xbox 1 titles.

So they switch videocards and the machine is worthless?

WTF? I'm no Al Gore but that doesn't make much sense...

ZootedGranny
11-26-2005, 03:43 AM
That's exactly the problem.

The ATI GPU & the Nvidia GPU have two completely different instruction sets, so the ATI GPU can't just take the game and play it, it has to be told how to properly emulate the Nvidia chip, and do it efficiently.

That's not to take any blame away from MS, because the initial list they put out of backward compatible games has been proven to be a leap of faith at best, with some games not working outright, or working so poorly, they're not worth playing.

I think its just a case of not having a finalized method to accomplish BC until mid June, so now they're kind of figuring out how to get everything to work on the fly.

Reaper16
11-26-2005, 10:40 AM
Or not. Ever heard of Oblivion? Besides, the new FF is already in the works for the 360. The 360 will have both US and Jap and RPG's, the days of Square Enix being a Sony exclusive are over.
Total fanboy comment. Final Fantasy XII isn't set for XBox 360. They are getting FFXI, the MMORPG that's been out for years on PS2 and PC. That's the extent of Square Enix's relationship so far with Microsoft. And as far as Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, well, it better play better than the XBox port of The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind did. (Practically the game I bought an XBox for)

htismaqe
11-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Total fanboy comment. Final Fantasy XII isn't set for XBox 360. They are getting FFXI, the MMORPG that's been out for years on PS2 and PC. That's the extent of Square Enix's relationship so far with Microsoft. And as far as Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion, well, it better play better than the XBox port of The Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind did. (Practically the game I bought an XBox for)

Play better? It was a Game of the Year.

unlurking
11-26-2005, 11:47 AM
Just got mine setup finally. Been playing PGR3 with my 11 year old son for about an hour. He got the Noble to start, and I got the Ultima. Awesome graphics (1080i) on a 61" screen. Soundtrack is pretty good too. So far, love this game. Will probably be playing all day. May switch to Gun later.

Reaper16
11-26-2005, 12:58 PM
Play better? It was a Game of the Year.
Yeah, for the PC, which could handle it's intensive graphics without noticeable draw distance and framerate problems. Where a keyboard didn't make the game's play mechanics unnecessarily clunky.

htismaqe
11-26-2005, 01:22 PM
Yeah, for the PC, which could handle it's intensive graphics without noticeable draw distance and framerate problems. Where a keyboard didn't make the game's play mechanics unnecessarily clunky.

Uh-huh. Your bias is showing. There were no framerate issues with my copy.

It was an XBox GoTY as well. It also made IGN's Top 10 Xbox "must have" games and got near perfect scores from nearly every top review site.

No, the controls on the XBox aren't as good as on the PC.

Reaper16
11-26-2005, 01:36 PM
Uh-huh. Your bias is showing. There were no framerate issues with my copy.

It was an XBox GoTY as well. It also made IGN's Top 10 Xbox "must have" games and got near perfect scores from nearly every top review site.

No, the controls on the XBox aren't as good as on the PC.

Bias towards what? PC gaming? Certainly not, I simply don't play PC games. I'm a console person. Bias against XBox? Nope, I get plenty of enjoyment out of my XBox, and buy most of my multi-platform titles for the XBox.

As far as "near perfect scores from nearly every top review site," IGN, which is pretty much a joke anyway, gave it a 9.4. That's not near perfect in my book, but close enough. That's still a great score. Other scores: Gamepot - 8.5, EGM - 7.67 avg, Game Informer - 7.5 XBN magazine - 8.0, Gamespy - 85%, etc. Great scores, nowhere "near perfect."

I'm surprised you didn't notice slow down during crowded combat situations, or serious draw distance. Nothing too distracting, but noticable for me, nonetheless.

Pants
11-26-2005, 02:35 PM

Fanboy? Hardly. I'm not buying either console for a long while, because I need a lot of time to figure which one is better and what games I like more.

As far as my FF comment goes, my bad, I simply don't follow JapRPGs bcause I'm not a big fan, I thought XI was the new one, so I'm sorry for the blasphemy, dear FF fans. I rented Morrowing once and put it down after 20 minutes of playing to never pick it up again. Oblivion looks amazing, though. Besides FF, there are other JapRPGs in the works for 360, since Billy is trying establish some kind of a market in Japan.

Reaper16
11-26-2005, 02:38 PM
Fanboy? Hardly. I'm not buying either console for a long while, because I need a lot of time to figure which one is better and what games I like more.

As far as my FF comment goes, my bad, I simply don't follow JapRPGs bcause I'm not a big fan, I thought XI was the new one, so I'm sorry for the blasphemy, dear FF fans. I rented Morrowing once and put it down after 20 minutes of playing to never pick it up again. Oblivion looks amazing, though. Besides FF, there are other JapRPGs in the works for 360, since Billy is trying establish some kind of a market in Japan.
K, just checking.
It's smart, maybe vital, that Microsoft try and establish an actual consumer base in Japan this time around. If they can somehow get Square to favor them over Sony, then it's game over for the Playstation. I don't see that happening, but Microsoft has to be encouraged that they're getting a Square title. More should surely follow.

Redcoats58
11-26-2005, 06:06 PM
I didnt want to make a new thread for this so I'll put it here since it pertains to the X-Box360.

Have any of you ever done those online deals where they give away a free item such as an Ipod or a playstation 2 or what not? I know it is a marketing ploy for you to sign up to a couple of offers they have. What I was wanting to know is if anybody has ever signed up for one and received said item for signing up because I was thinking of doing it to get the new X-Box?

I don't mind signing up for a couple of the offers because they aren't to bad of a deal. I'm sure i would have to wait quite a while to receive it but was wondering if they actually did send them?

Pants
11-26-2005, 06:50 PM
I didnt want to make a new thread for this so I'll put it here since it pertains to the X-Box360.

Have any of you ever done those online deals where they give away a free item such as an Ipod or a playstation 2 or what not? I know it is a marketing ploy for you to sign up to a couple of offers they have. What I was wanting to know is if anybody has ever signed up for one and received said item for signing up because I was thinking of doing it to get the new X-Box?

I don't mind signing up for a couple of the offers because they aren't to bad of a deal. I'm sure i would have to wait quite a while to receive it but was wondering if they actually did send them?

Usually, you have to signup for one and then have 10 people signother offers. I tried once, and all I got out of it was a free month of Blockbuster service and a $20 certificate to Circuit City (still nice for noe doing anything). If you have a bunch of friends/relatives who are willing to sign up for deals, it's pretty easy to get. I know mcan got a bunch of stuff that way, ask him.

Redcoats58
11-26-2005, 06:53 PM
Usually, you have to signup for one and then have 10 people signother offers. I tried once, and all I got out of it was a free month of Blockbuster service and a $20 certificate to Circuit City (still nice for noe doing anything). If you have a bunch of friends/relatives who are willing to sign up for deals, it's pretty easy to get. I know mcan got a bunch of stuff that way, ask him.
Thanks for the response. I'll look into it.

kcxiv
11-26-2005, 09:17 PM
Everything even retail shit will be in beta form for a little while.

If anyone knows how Sony online games work, they will know they ALWAYS release shit thats broken/ unfinished. So just dont expect shit on release to play smooth, wont ever happen anymore.