PDA

View Full Version : O Great and Mechanically Knowledgeable Planeteers...

mikey23545
11-25-2005, 10:11 PM
First of all, I don't know how much I'll be around the computer tonight, so thanks in advance to anyone who can supply any help!

I know this is not going to be much info to go on, but I hope some of you auto-studious types can steer me towards the cause of a problem with a used car I'm looking at. It has a 1989 Olds 307 engine with (I believe) a 4 barrel carb. When cold, you need to pump the gas a little to get it to start, and it then proceeds to run smoothly unless you try to give it a little gas, whereupon it will immediately stall. It runs a little fast like the automatic choke is working during this, but if you try to step on the gas, it quits.
Now after it warms up, everything is hunky-dory, and the engine runs great...So, my question to you omniscient Planetbound Internal-Combusted Gurus, is this...Do you think this is more likely to be an automatic choke problem, or are we more likely talking a complete carb rebuild? Or is there simply not enough info to go on? (And no, I really can't tell you much more than I already have - sorry)

And either way, any guesstimates towards a repair bill?

Again, thanks in advance for any help in this matter...I hope my buddy Bwana is surfing around the Planet tonight!...

Phobia
11-25-2005, 10:14 PM
You should buy a camaro instead.

Skip Towne
11-25-2005, 10:15 PM
It sounds like the problem is in the splatum assembly. Should cost a lot to fix.

mikey23545
11-25-2005, 10:16 PM
You should buy a camaro instead.

Thanks, Taco...That was particularly helpful...

SLAG
11-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Well.. if its been sometime that the carb has had a rebuilding then its time.. other wise just disable the manual choke and then try that....

Hell Id Still Rebuild it anyway.. Tommrow would be perfect

unlurking
11-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Not very mechanically inclined, but I had similar problems on my 78 T-Bird with a 351 Cleveland. Mechanic explained the problem (which I did not understand, and now don't even remember) and basically did a carb rebuild for $150. This was almost 20 years ago, and the main thing I remember was the price. Don't know if that helps, but it's all I got.

Edit:

Oh yeah, the carb rebuild fixed the problem.

mikey23545
11-25-2005, 10:20 PM
It sounds like the problem is in the splatum assembly. Should cost a lot to fix.

Nice to see you're still playing the role of Lovable Curmudgeon for the Planet...

Phobia
11-25-2005, 10:20 PM
I think Taco spells it "camero".

Nonetheless, I used to have a similar problem with a fuel pump under opposite temperature extremes. The fuel pump shut down when it got too hot outside.

You know the engine needs air, fuel, and spark to fire. Which one of those is most impacted by the cold? I don't know. Sounds like you need a general tune-up to me. If that's clears it up you're lucky. One of the first things I do one an old engine is replace the distributor cap.

sedated
11-25-2005, 10:35 PM
F*ck cars, I ride a horse to work.

...and when I say" horse", I mean donkey.

...and when I say "work", I mean the whore house.

Extra Point
11-25-2005, 10:43 PM
Well.. if its been sometime that the carb has had a rebuilding then its time.. other wise just disable the manual choke and then try that....

Hell Id Still Rebuild it anyway.. Tommrow would be perfect

Correct. Stuck float, from the sound of it. Either get a kit and DIY, have someone else do it, or buy a rebuilt one from someone who will give you some bucks for your the one you have. FUN!!!

OldTownChief
11-25-2005, 10:51 PM
First of all, I don't know how much I'll be around the computer tonight, so thanks in advance to anyone who can supply any help!

I know this is not going to be much info to go on, but I hope some of you auto-studious types can steer me towards the cause of a problem with a used car I'm looking at. It has a 1989 Olds 307 engine with (I believe) a 4 barrel carb. When cold, you need to pump the gas a little to get it to start, and it then proceeds to run smoothly unless you try to give it a little gas, whereupon it will immediately stall. It runs a little fast like the automatic choke is working during this, but if you try to step on the gas, it quits.
Now after it warms up, everything is hunky-dory, and the engine runs great...So, my question to you omniscient Planetbound Internal-Combusted Gurus, is this...Do you think this is more likely to be an automatic choke problem, or are we more likely talking a complete carb rebuild? Or is there simply not enough info to go on? (And no, I really can't tell you much more than I already have - sorry)

And either way, any guesstimates towards a repair bill?

Again, thanks in advance for any help in this matter...I hope my buddy Bwana is surfing around the Planet tonight!...

Continue to let it warm up to the "hunky-dory" stage before hitting the gas. The carb probably doesn't need a rebuild if it is running fine after warming up. Sound to me like a problem with the automatic choke. I would replace it or install a manual one. Check for vacume leaks and make sure the bolts holding your carb to intake man. are tight (a leak here can cause those symptoms) this seal is notorious for leaking on older models untill the engine is hot. If it comes down to a carb rebuild, do it yourself, very simple and the kit comes with a blowup picture and setting instructions.

SLAG
11-26-2005, 12:47 AM
I never got to but I should have rebuilt the Holly 750cfm Double Pumper I had on my 82 Camaro

Bugeater
11-26-2005, 01:32 AM
Some of the crappiest cars in automotive history were built by General Motors in the 80's. I'd keep looking.

PHOG
11-26-2005, 01:46 AM
You said yourself, as long as it's warmed up.. everything is "hunky dory"?

So let it warm up, lots of older things have to warm up, stop putting them down.. :arrow:

CrazyHorse
11-26-2005, 07:26 AM
If it's an 89 bwith a 4 barrel, that is llikely a replacement for the original fuel injected carb. The computer likey isnt set up for a regul;ar 4 barrel.

When the stock carb was on there the computer regulated the air/fuel mix until the car warmed. But the copmputer does not recognize the old style carb and doesn't know how to regulate it. Or has been bypassed all together.

Of course this is just a guess. But a possible senario that hasn't been mentioned. In any event, it's not something to worry about.

Just let the old girl warm up.

mikey23545
11-26-2005, 07:47 AM
Hey, big thanks to everyone who responded on this thread...I really appreciate it guys!

Skip Towne
11-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Nice to see you're still playing the role of Lovable Curmudgeon for the Planet...
It's what I do. Glad to help. BTW, I'd like to see one of those fuel injected carbs Crazy Horse talks about.

OldTownChief
11-26-2005, 08:31 AM
It's what I do. Glad to help. BTW, I'd like to see one of those fuel injected carbs Crazy Horse talks about.

It's called Throttle Body Injection (TBI)

http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/9772/tbi8sg.gif

If the fule system was converted than he's right. I seen a lot of engins converted to this but never from this.