PDA

View Full Version : Boston Herald: Beisel back home - left KC for greener pastures

Hammock Parties
11-27-2005, 07:19 AM
http://patriots.bostonherald.com/patriots/view.bg?articleid=114325

Beisel back home: Left KC for greener pasture

By John Tomase/ Patriots Notebook

Sunday, November 27, 2005 - Updated: 12:44 AM EST

KANSAS CITY, Mo. - Monty Beisel grew up 45 minutes from Arrowhead Stadium. He attended Kansas State, married a former Miss Kansas and spent the first four years of his NFL career with his hometown Kansas City Chiefs.

The softspoken linebacker is a Midwest guy through and through, which makes today’s homecoming particularly bittersweet. Beisel said he has no regrets about leaving as a free agent, but readily admits his first year with the Patriots has not progressed as planned.

“It’s been an interesting year,” Beisel said. “It’s not exactly what I had in foresight, but I have to deal with it as it comes and just try to take it for what it is. We’ve got six more games to play, and I’ve got to keep trucking along.”

Beisel signed a two-year contract with the Patriots in April and opened the year as the starting middle linebacker. He recorded seven tackles in the opener against Oakland, but his output quickly dropped.

Beisel struggled to take on blockers, as well as wrap up opposing ball carriers. To compensate, the Patriots shifted outside linebacker Mike Vrabel to the inside.

The return of Tedy Bruschi then relegated Beisel to part-time status. Beisel has also gone into somewhat of a shell, a marked change from the outgoing player who arrived in New England.

“Obviously, a lot of things have changed since Day 1 when I got here,” Beisel said. “People change. I’m trying to continue to get better and move along.”

Injuries haven’t helped. Despite wearing gloves against Atlanta on Oct. 9, Beisel nicked a knuckle on his right index finger. The tiny wound soon became infected, and has since been cleaned twice.

For his troubles, Beisel sports a hideous Frankenstein-like scar across half of his finger, which remains swollen and purple. He wraps it during practice and games.

“It looks pretty good, huh?” Beisel said. “It’s just one of those freak things. It was a little infection. There’s not a whole lot you can do. You get a hundred cuts like that a year and nothing happens. This one just blew up on me.”

The same could be said of his decision to sign with the Pats, though there’s still time to turn things around.

“You’ve got to realize the NFL is a business,” Beisel said. “You go where the opportunities are. At the time I felt it was a better opportunity to come here than stay in Kansas City. I felt playing in Kansas City for (coach) Dick Vermeil for four years was a great opportunity, but that the time was right to move on.”

HemiEd
11-27-2005, 07:27 AM
I think we miss him on ST but do not think we miss his Line backing skills.

MichaelH
11-27-2005, 07:34 AM
I think what he really wanted to say was "I realized that playing four years for Coach Vermeil was going nowhere. I wanted to play for a championship caliber team."

Too bad it seems to have blown up in his face.

Skip Towne
11-27-2005, 07:51 AM
I was shocked when the Pats signed Beisel. Now the Pats are shocked.

Big Chief Homer
11-27-2005, 08:19 AM
AWW poor Monty,sometimes the grass isnt always greener.I dont feel sorry for him one bit.

If it wasnt for DV and company Monty would be selling toyotas right about now.

milkman
11-27-2005, 08:28 AM

Monty was better than the rest of our crap LBs.

This was one of those rare cases when the Pats didn't realize better than bad doesn't equal good.

DaWolf
11-27-2005, 08:30 AM
Reminds me of Kevin Lockett, who decided the grass was gonna be greener elsewhere. How you like having your career go nowhere, Lockett?

Skip Towne
11-27-2005, 08:33 AM
Monty was better than the rest of our crap LBs.

This was one of those rare cases when the Pats didn't realize better than bad doesn't equal good.
It was really quite surprising since the entire Planet knew he sucked.

Hammock Parties
11-27-2005, 08:34 AM
Reminds me of Kevin Lockett, who decided the grass was gonna be greener elsewhere. How you like having your career go nowhere, Lockett?

Yes sir. Kevin should have stuck here where all the crappy WRs made him look good.

Big Chief Homer
11-27-2005, 08:34 AM

Not that I was sad to see him go,but I believe Girlbac falls into the same catagory as well.

Nice long career afterwards :p

Skip Towne
11-27-2005, 08:40 AM
I remember when players were happy to come to KC. But it was probably because they knew they were out of football otherwise.

milkman
11-27-2005, 08:42 AM
Hell, aside from Joe Horn and Donnie Edwards, who else has left for greener pastures only to be exposed as the crapass players they were/are?

Skip Towne
11-27-2005, 08:44 AM
Hell, aside from Joe Horn and Donnie Edwards, who else has left for greener pastures only to be exposed as the crapass players they were/are?
Not many. Neil Smith and Keith Traylor come to mind.

Hammock Parties
11-27-2005, 08:52 AM

Uh, Rich Gannon.

FringeNC
11-27-2005, 10:21 AM
I guess Beisel's struggles in New England are evidence that it was more than just bad schemes in KC. We simply didn't have a whole lot of talent. Put Beisel in a good scheme, and he still is nothing special.

Bowser
11-27-2005, 10:27 AM
I think what he really wanted to say was "I realized that playing four years for Coach Vermeil was going nowhere. I wanted to play for a championship caliber team."

Too bad it seems to have blown up in his face.

We call that "The Beisel Effect".

Bowser
11-27-2005, 10:27 AM
And I, too, miss his special team talents, as I'm sure Dante does. But definitely not his linebacking.

RINGLEADER
11-27-2005, 10:35 AM

That was my reaction as well...First they want Maz, then they get Beisel...Who does Belichek think he is anyway, Mike Shanahan?

RINGLEADER
11-27-2005, 10:36 AM
And I, too, miss his special team talents, as I'm sure Dante does. But definitely not his linebacking.

Beisel wouldn't help Dante this year. Until Dante stops spinning around in circles and starts hitting the holes he's not going to do crap. Been a really weird year for Hall...hopefully he can get it turned around.

Hoover
11-27-2005, 10:52 AM
Is he even a starter now since Teddy came back?

Hoover
11-27-2005, 10:52 AM
From one 31st ranked D to another

BigChiefFan
11-27-2005, 11:32 AM
I always liked Beisel. He isn't the most talented player, but he hustles and plays with heart. That said, I hope we kick the crap out of the Pats.

Skip Towne
11-27-2005, 11:51 AM
From one 31st ranked D to another
Coincidence? I think not.