PDA

View Full Version : A proposed NFL rules change.

Rain Man
11-27-2005, 05:07 PM
How's this?

"In the last two minutes of a game, when the team on offense is leading the game, the clock does not move on a play unless that team gains positive yardage."

These kneeldowns at the end of games are kind of a boring and annoying way to count down the game, and they screw up the rushing stats. You should be required to push for positive yards.

This will also occasionally create exciting "Miracle at the Meadowlands" plays.

cdcox
11-27-2005, 05:09 PM
Make it a poll so we can vote it down.

keg in kc
11-27-2005, 05:09 PM
I was thinking about this as the clock ran down. What an anti-climactic ending to an otherwise entertaining game. With a league so enamored with offensive explosion, you'd think the last thing they want to see is 2 minutes of kneeling.

(wow, lots of jokes to insert there)

Rain Man
11-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Make it a poll so we can vote it down.

I need to do some focus groups first to get the pulse of the people.

jidar
11-27-2005, 05:11 PM
no.
NFL is already too damned random to introduce another rule designed to give the losing team "just one more shot".

VonneMarie
11-27-2005, 05:12 PM
I was thinking about this as the clock ran down. What an anti-climactic ending to an otherwise entertaining game. With a league so enamored with offensive explosion, you'd think the last thing they want to see is 2 minutes of kneeling.

(wow, lots of jokes to insert there)
It was only 1:56 minutes of kneeling. My gosh. :rolleyes:

RealSNR
11-27-2005, 05:14 PM
It was only 1:56 minutes of kneeling. My gosh. :rolleyes:Sure. 1:56 seconds of kneeling is okay. Pretty soon it'll be 1:57, 1:58. Then to keep you kneelers satisfied, the NFL will do away with 2-minute warnings so the kneelings can last beyond 2 minutes! My God, when will this end? It never will!

Hammock Parties
11-27-2005, 05:15 PM
I think this is a great idea.

And they should do away with overtime field goals under 50 yards.

VonneMarie
11-27-2005, 05:17 PM
Sure. 1:56 seconds of kneeling is okay. Pretty soon it'll be 1:57, 1:58. Then to keep you kneelers satisfied, the NFL will do away with 2-minute warnings so the kneelings can last beyond 2 minutes! My God, when will this end? It never will!
If you want to do away with the 2 minute warnings, why not just get rid of the time-outs all together.

It's hailing here really bad and I'm outta here.

keg in kc
11-27-2005, 05:18 PM
I think there needs to be a possession rule in overtime, although different from college. There has to be some way for both teams to get an opportunity. Make it an additional full quarter of play, if nothing else, before sudden death. A coin toss after regulation shouldn't determine the outcome of games.

Dead horse beaten.

Rain Man
11-27-2005, 05:19 PM
Technically, you can start kneeling at 2:40. If someone does this in both the second and the fourth quarters, we could lose 8.9 percent of the game watching kneeldowns. This is completely unacceptable.

Now add in the fact that if the game is really, really, really windy, a team might kneel down three times to end the first and third quarters to get the wind at their back for a field goal attempt. Now all of a sudden we're seeing 9:20 of the game kneeling. That's 15.6 percent of the game. Do you really want to lose 15.6 percent of the game to kneeling? And this isn't even counting someone kneeling on other drives to kill time before a punt or something.

JBucc
11-27-2005, 05:22 PM
it won't make much of a difference they'll just do a bunch of qb sneaks

cdcox
11-27-2005, 05:22 PM

Yes, this rule change has equal merit.

JBucc
11-27-2005, 05:24 PM
And they should do away with overtime field goals under 50 yards.They should change the OT system period

Rausch
11-27-2005, 05:25 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how spiking the ball to kill the clock isn't intentional grounding...

RealSNR
11-27-2005, 05:27 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how spiking the ball to kill the clock isn't intentional grounding...I have always wondered that, too

JBucc
11-27-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how spiking the ball to kill the clock isn't intentional grounding...Well since it's possible for a QB to throw to himself maybe the QB counts as a potential reciever?

Rain Man
11-27-2005, 05:28 PM
I'm still trying to figure out how spiking the ball to kill the clock isn't intentional grounding...

The same reason that throwing the ball away outside the tackles isn't. They made a specific rule allowing it.

Which is why there should be a specific rule against kneeling. In fact, maybe the clock shouldn't run unless the team in the lead gets at least two yards. That'd add some adventure.

Hammock Parties
11-27-2005, 05:29 PM

The key word being "intent."

When you're spiking the ball, your intent isn't to avoid a sack.

whoman69
11-27-2005, 06:30 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why they never call grounding when a QB takes one or two steps out of the pocket and throws the ball to nobody. They're supposed to be outside the tackles, not outside the center.

Skip Towne
11-27-2005, 06:37 PM
I'm a firm proponent of kneeling. Death to all you anti kneelers.

Skip Towne
11-27-2005, 06:39 PM
This reminds me when somebody asked Ellie May Clampett if she liked Kipling. She said she didn't know 'cause she'd never kippled.

plbrdude
11-27-2005, 06:50 PM
i would vote for players to actually have to carry the ball into the endzone to score a touchdown. that though would not just affect overtime.

NJ Chief Fan
11-27-2005, 06:57 PM
what about the college rule...the clock stops while the chains are being moved for a new 1st down, but only use it 2 minute warning and ticking down

listopencil
11-27-2005, 07:23 PM
I think this is a great idea.

They should require both teams to subtract one player at the beginning of OT and for every three minutes of OT elapsed.