PDA

View Full Version : Posnanski: This is why Gunther came back to KC

tk13
11-28-2005, 02:17 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13271551.htm

Cunningham’s defense taking him back to the glory days
JOE POSNANSKI
Kansas City Star

This was why Gunther Cunningham came back to town. It wasn’t so he could run his own defense again. It wasn’t because he missed Kansas City. And it wasn’t because he wanted to make things right after being fired as the Chiefs’ head coach.

Sure, all of those things played into his thinking.

But no, if Cunningham had to give one reason why he came back to run the Chiefs’ defense after a heartbreaking farewell, he probably would give this scene from Sunday:

The Chiefs led the Super Bowl champion New England Patriots by 13 points. It was almost halftime. Third and long. The Patriots had the ball, and quarterback Tom Brady pointed at Chiefs defensive players and shouted something that probably sounded like, “Block him! Block him, too! Hey, I know that guy! Hey, look, John Candy! Whoa, look at that guy! Don’t let him hit me!”

Cunningham, standing on the sideline, waved his arms to get the Arrowhead crowd to get louder.

The crowd got louder.

He waved his arms more.

The crowd got louder still.

The ball snapped. Jared Allen — looking a whole lot like Derrick Thomas from another time — rocketed past New England left tackle Nick Kaczur. Allen dived at Brady’s feet. Sack. Arrowhead Stadium shook, like old times, and Allen ran to the sideline where Cunningham waited to hug him.

“Our attitude is, ‘Nobody is getting nothing on us,’ ” Allen says. “Nothing.”

If we each get our own personal heaven, well, this would be Gunther Cunningham’s heaven: an overcast day, a deafening Arrowhead Stadium, a Chiefs victory and a defense that believes that nobody is getting nothing.

This was why he came back. Cunningham looks back on his early days as coordinator for the Chiefs — particularly in 1995 and 1997 when the Chiefs had the NFL’s top-ranked defense — as the best time of his life. You can still see the far-off look in his eyes when he talks about those days and the way Arrowhead sounded, the way his defense blitzed Todd Collins four straight downs, the way it hounded John Elway, the 10 straight games the defense did not allow a second-half touchdown.

When he starts talking about the 1990s in Kansas City, Cunningham sounds a lot like Burt Lancaster in “Atlantic City” when he looks out over the water and says, “You should have seen the Atlantic Ocean in those days.”

See, Cunningham came back to relive the best days of his life. How many people get the chance to be the high school quarterback or the homecoming queen a second time? The trouble was, Cunningham soon realized that things in Kansas City were different. He came back to coach a struggling defense with much less talent than he had been led to believe. Last year, the Chiefs gave up points by the dozen. Arrowhead was as quiet as a church — it’s hard to cheer when the other offense is moving.

Cunningham nearly went out of his mind.

He pleaded with Chiefs GM/president/CEO/window smasher Carl Peterson to give him more talent. In the offseason, the Chiefs added a bunch of new defensive players. Cunningham tried to teach his Clinton-biography-sized playbook in a day and a half. And in the early weeks, not surprisingly, the defense did not look significantly better.

This time, though, Cunningham could feel that things were about to change.

“The problem with you guys,” Cunningham remembers telling his players during a practice before the second Oakland Raiders game, “is you don’t realize how close you are. You are too dumb to realize that we’re on the brink of being one of the dominant defenses in this league. I’ve seen it. We’re so close. Give me just a little more, and we’re going to tear up this league.”

Well, Cunningham says this kind of stuff all the time. But sure enough, the Chiefs’ defense held the Raiders to 263 total yards that week. The next week, at Buffalo, they were even better, holding the Bills to 209 yards. After utterly dominating Houston last week, the Chiefs suddenly were fifth in the NFL in rush defense. They had not allowed a 200-yard passer in almost a month.

Sure, Oakland, Buffalo and Houston are not good teams. But remember, before Cunningham came along, the Chiefs’ defenses were not discriminating. They gave up yards and points to everybody.

“We’re about to show the world,” Cunningham told friends and players before Sunday’s New England game.

Sunday, the defense showed. Sure, people can talk about how the Patriots were beat up and they’re not as good as the three New England teams that won Super Bowls, and yada, yada yada. All true. That was still Bill Belichick coaching, still Tom Brady passing (with the league’s fourth-best passing attack), still a champion coming into Kansas City in need of a victory.

And for most of the game, the Chiefs’ defense utterly overwhelmed New England. The Patriots had no running game. Brady threw four picks. The Chiefs sacked him three times. The Patriots managed 104 yards of offense in the first half. Brady had his worst statistical game in almost three years.

Belichick was left muttering: “We didn’t do a good enough job offensively, and we didn’t do a good enough job defensively. It wasn’t anything I’m not going to sit here and say it was or it wasn’t.”

You figure out that quote. It’s like NFL Sudoku.

The point is: The Chiefs needed a knockout. The Chiefs got a knockout.

Of course, the Chiefs’ defense will have to prove it all again this Sunday, against the 9-2 Denver Broncos. That’s the NFL. But for a day at Arrowhead, at least, it seemed like old times. Arrowhead rocked, the defense rolled, the Chiefs stayed in the playoff hunt.

And Gunther Cunningham was in heaven. He ran off the field pumping his fists. He left the stadium quickly to spend a few hours with family before getting back to work.

“After the game, he was more tired than we were,” Allen says. “And he was just on the sideline. That’s why we love playing for him. We give our heart. He gives his soul.”

keg in kc
11-28-2005, 02:25 AM
Sure, Oakland, Buffalo and Houston are not good teams. But remember, before Cunningham came along, the Chiefs’ defenses were not discriminating. They gave up yards and points to everybody.That's a valid point. How many backups did Spinner's "Career Day" defense provide highlights for...

tk13
11-28-2005, 02:37 AM
That's a good point. I'm excited by our passing defense. It's coming around. That was a really good passing offense we just shut down. I don't care if they didn't have a running game... early in the season we faced teams that couldn't run and they gashed us through the air. We're starting to play like a more complete defense. Gonna be a huge test Sunday though.

keg in kc
11-28-2005, 02:41 AM
I'm concerned with out tendency to give up yards after halftime. It's representative of a problem we sometimes have on both sides of the ball, a difficulty dealing with halftime adjustments.

Earthling
11-28-2005, 02:45 AM
Sure, people can talk about how the Patriots were beat up and they’re not as good as the three New England teams that won Super Bowls, and yada, yada yada. All true. That was still Bill Belichick coaching, still Tom Brady passing (with the league’s fourth-best passing attack), still a champion coming into Kansas City in need of a victory.

What a difference from the Whitlock article. :clap:

tk13
11-28-2005, 02:55 AM
I'm concerned with out tendency to give up yards after halftime. It's representative of a problem we sometimes have on both sides of the ball, a difficulty dealing with halftime adjustments.
Really, if you look at it, we seem to do that in blowouts. In close games I think we've buckled down. Washington, San Diego, Buffalo, we didn't have a lead and we played well in the 2nd half of all of those games. I don't think we allowed more than 7 points in the 2nd half of each of those games. It's games like Oakland and today when we're up by double digits where we let up.

keg in kc
11-28-2005, 03:12 AM
We go zone.

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 03:18 AM
yes, im sure you're proud of your 25th ranked defense

beer bacon
11-28-2005, 03:20 AM
yes, im sure you're proud of your 25th ranked defense

How proud are you guys of your 17th ranked defense?

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 03:26 AM
How proud are you guys of your 17th ranked defense?

7th in scoring defense
as opposed to you being 21st?
try again

Pants
11-28-2005, 03:31 AM
7th in scoring defense
as opposed to you being 21st?
try again
Hey man, what's the point? Yeah, your team is much better than ours statistically, you owned us at your house earlier this year, your record is much better. What's your point? We are happy we are improving, what are you trying achieve here?

Let's hold all the shit talking till Sunday afternoon, K?

CoMoChief
11-28-2005, 03:35 AM
We also need Ryan Sims and Shawn Barber to come back so we can run the 3-4 even better than we have been. I believe our defense can be a good solid defense. Our offense is starting to come around. Roaf is just simply a difference maker. He really does change our whole offensive game plan. I think our defense players need to get cocky in a way that we get more confidence. I like what I saw today and we are really getting closer to being great.

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 03:36 AM
Hey man, what's the point? Yeah, your team is much better than ours statistically, you owned us at your house earlier this year, your record is much better. What's your point? We are happy we are improving, what are you trying achieve here?

Let's hold all the shit talking till Sunday afternoon, K?

the point is, this writer seems to be glorifying something that in no way deserves to be glorified. lets face it, the chiefs have had a poor defense for a while now, and you have made so many off season acquisitions and draft choices, and even brought in cunningham all to make your defense strong. and after all of that, you're 25th in the league? i'd be complaining about why you still can't get it done on the other side of the ball, not glorifying it.

Pants
11-28-2005, 03:38 AM
the point is, this writer seems to be glorifying something that in no way deserves to be glorified. lets face it, the chiefs have had a poor defense for a while now, and you have made so many off season acquisitions and draft choices, and even brought in cunningham all to make your defense strong. and after all of that, you're 25th in the league? i'd be complaining about why you still can't get it done on the other side of the ball, not glorifying it.

How about we take out the first five weeks considering it takes a little time for the defense to gel? The point is - we are improving and that is what the article is glorifying.

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 03:47 AM
How about we take out the first five weeks considering it takes a little time for the defense to gel? The point is - we are improving and that is what the article is glorifying.

i suppose thats as good an excuse as any

Pants
11-28-2005, 03:49 AM

I suppose that's a decent way to admit you were wrong.

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 03:56 AM
I suppose that's a decent way to admit you were wrong.

wrong about what?
you being the 25th ranked defense in the nfl?
or being the 21st in scoring defense in the nfl?

i cant argue with the fact that your defense is improving, after all thats all it really can do (29th two years ago, 31st in the league last year). it says something about your standards that you would glorify such "improvement" though. but hey, at the rate you're going, you'll be average in 6 years.

Pants
11-28-2005, 03:57 AM
wrong about what?

i cant argue with the fact that your defense is improving, after all thats all it really can do (29th two years ago, 31st in the league last year). it says something about your standards that you would glorify such "improvement" though. but hey, at the rate you're going, you'll be average in 6 years.
Once again you fail to grasp the concept of new teammates taking time to gel.

I guess you guys will find out in person whether our defense is improved on Sunday. See ya.

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 04:01 AM
Once again you fail to grasp the concept of new teammates taking time to gel.

I guess you guys will find out in person whether our defense is improved on Sunday. See ya.

we already have found out
30-10, 221 rushing yards, 358 total net yards.
be proud.

and "new teammates taking time to gel" is about as ridiculous of an excuse as i've heard.

kcxiv
11-28-2005, 04:06 AM
All us Chiefs fans knew it was going to take a while for the Defense to buy into the scheme. Gun said it numberous times. Give them time, it will happen. Last 4 games its been happening. Before that, we only showed glimpses. Now its pretty darn consistant. Now for the Denver test. Cant wait.

kcxiv
11-28-2005, 04:09 AM
be proud.

and "new teammates taking time to gel" is about as ridiculous of an excuse as i've heard.Not really, becuase The coaching staff has said that all along. Yes, you all killed us, you all USUALLY do in Denver. Shit happens. I remember reading the bronco's message boards after you all got blown out by Miami. They were already saying this could possibly one of the worst denver teams EVER. AFTER 1 damn game. Shit takes time to work. How long has it taken plummer to gel to the offense? yeah, shit takes time to work itself out. NOw Plummer is as solid as a rock. would have never EVER said that shit last year.

Pants
11-28-2005, 04:09 AM
be proud.

and "new teammates taking time to gel" is about as ridiculous of an excuse as i've heard.

Are you being serious? Because if you are, all I can do is laugh and this conversation doesn't need to continue. If you seriously think that 2 new linerbackers, a new corner and a new safety can come in and start playing like they've been playing together for a few years, you need to lay off the crack pipe.

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 04:24 AM
Are you being serious? Because if you are, all I can do is laugh and this conversation doesn't need to continue. If you seriously think that 2 new linerbackers, a new corner and a new safety can come in and start playing like they've been playing together for a few years, you need to lay off the crack pipe.

no, all i have to do is look at the teams you've been playing recently to know where this new found great defense came from. buffalo? pitiful. houston? even more pitiful. oakland? most underachieving offense in recent memory. pats? about as one dimensional as you can get. then you give up over 400 yards to the chargers. im just not a chief homer, thats all.

and most teams have changes like that, many far more than that. hell even the broncos have had more changes than that. thats just a part of the nfl.

ARROW2
11-28-2005, 04:57 AM
no, all i have to do is look at the teams you've been playing recently to know where this new found great defense came from. buffalo? pitiful. houston? even more pitiful. oakland? most underachieving offense in recent memory. pats? about as one dimensional as you can get. then you give up over 400 yards to the chargers. im just not a chief homer, thats all.

and most teams have changes like that, many far more than that. hell even the broncos have had more changes than that. thats just a part of the nfl.

Just take this Sunday's asswhippin like a man........Can't wait to beat your overrated team. What's gonna be the excuse this time?

Gaz
11-28-2005, 06:49 AM
I truly love Gunther’s approach to Defense.

Get Sims back in the middle and we will see what his D can do.

xoxo~
Gaz
Unabashed Gunther fan.

teedubya
11-28-2005, 06:57 AM
Truly exciting game to be at yesterday. Gun has his side of the ball playing with fire and tenacity. The Donkos coming to town is gonna be a great test, but I feel strongly that we are gonna lay something on they ass.

The Bad Guy
11-28-2005, 07:08 AM
be proud.

I can go back and talk about what happened last December in KC too.

None it means dick come Sunday.

Just make sure you come back after you have a good post-game meltdown when your lead shrinks to one game.

CrazyHorse
11-28-2005, 08:12 AM

So you're saying that we get to play the same team that had thier ass handed to them by Miami?

That's good news.

Lzen
11-28-2005, 09:23 AM
This is a pretty good article. Pos makes some very good points. This defense is playing much better lately. And like the article points out, we're not giving up yards and points to everybody (like we did in the past). I don't care what anyone says, I can see the improvement in this defense.

The one part of this article that I didn't agree with:
Arrowhead was as quiet as a church — it’s hard to cheer when the other offense is moving.

That's simply not true. I attended 5 games last year(Carolina, Houston, Atlanta, Indianapolis, and New England) and I can attest to the fact that Arrowhead was loud. Maybe not quite as loud as it was in the 90s, but it was still very loud.

Chris Meck
11-28-2005, 09:29 AM
Whatever, he's trolling.

It's pretty clear that the defense is improving, and getting better every game.

Yeah, it's 25th right now. Yeah the Pats are one dimensional. They're also 4th in the league while being one dimensional and we kicked their ass.

Whatever.

Iowanian
11-28-2005, 09:53 AM
be proud.

What excuses were you making in Week 1 when Miami kicked the Donkey arses?

Notice you didn't find your way to the planet to talk trash before the first game.

You suck baows.

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 02:03 PM
What excuses were you making in Week 1 when Miami kicked the Donkey arses?

Notice you didn't find your way to the planet to talk trash before the first game.

You suck baows.

i've made no excuses, we played like shit week 1, we're 9-1 since.
and i was linked here from a friend a couple days ago, which is why i didn't come here to gloat about our earlier thrashing of your team.

your defense sucks, and your offense is old and busted. your coach is a crybaby, and your best wr is a quitter. everyone keeps saying "wait until sunday!", i cant wait, the broncos are better than the chiefs in every single way except for returning kickoffs. humiliating you on your own turf will be almost as satisfying as humiliating the raiders in their house.

no matter the outcome, i'll be here sunday night, whether its to eat some crow (very little chance) or to rub a little salt in your wounds.

Iowanian
11-28-2005, 02:14 PM
I wish I could agree with you sport,
but this link shows KC higher ranked in Passing offense
http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-PASSING/2005/regular
And this link Shows KC's Backup RB with nearly 200 more rushing yards than any of your backs
http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2005/regular
..and here is one that shows Eddie Kennison with 200 more yards Recieving than any Denver WR...that must hurt
http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/AFC/WR-RECEIVING/2005/regular

You can feel free to suk mah baows.

Rausch
11-28-2005, 02:15 PM
your defense sucks, and your offense is old and busted.

Our defense is bottom 1/3 of the NFL. Not good, no, but better.

Our "old and busted " offense is 5th in the league, which is two better than your Donk's offense.
We're 4th in the league in rushing (only 2 spots behind you), 9th in scoring (2 spots behind you), and 13 in passing yards (8 spots HIGHER than the donks.)

Guess that makes your offense old and busted as well...

i cant wait, the broncos are better than the chiefs in every single way except for returning kickoffs.

No, they aren't. And I just proved that.

You can run the ball but you can't throw for $#it.

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 02:27 PM
I wish I could agree with you sport,
but this link shows KC higher ranked in Passing offense
http://www.nfl.com/stats/teamsort/NFL/OFF-PASSING/2005/regular
And this link Shows KC's Backup RB with nearly 200 more rushing yards than any of your backs
http://www.nfl.com/stats/leaders/NFL/RYDS/2005/regular
..and here is one that shows Eddie Kennison with 200 more yards Recieving than any Denver WR...that must hurt
http://www.nfl.com/stats/playersort/AFC/WR-RECEIVING/2005/regular

You can feel free to suk mah baows.

yes your passing offense is far better than ours with your 11:7 td to int ratio.
dont even try to compare your rushing attack to ours, we average 27 more yards per game and .7 more yards per attempt
kennison is a quitter, a talented quitter but a quitter none the less. you surround yourself with quitters then its only fitting your team is nothing but mediocre.

robot monster
11-28-2005, 02:31 PM
What a troll. He's obviously afraid that with Roaf back the offense is just as good as in the past few years, and the D can stop the run now, so it looks like we match up just fine against the Donkeys.

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 02:35 PM
What a troll. He's obviously afraid that with Roaf back the offense is just as good as in the past few years, and the D can stop the run now, so it looks like we match up just fine against the Donkeys.

afraid of 35 year old willie?!
i love that dude, awesome offensive lineman, but he's past his prime.

Rausch
11-28-2005, 02:37 PM
afraid of 35 year old willie?!
i love that dude, awesome offensive lineman, but he's past his prime.

So is Rod Smith.

Doesn't mean they can't change a game...

jynni
11-28-2005, 02:39 PM
kennison is a quitter, a talented quitter but a quitter none the less. you surround yourself with quitters then its only fitting your team is nothing but mediocre.

Gah - this is just sad. This isn't even good trolling.

Speaking of which - where are all the Donkey trolls? I've not seen hide nor hair of the usual ones? GarciaBronco? TJ? MileHigh? VailPass?

Am I just reading the wrong threads?

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 02:41 PM
So is Rod Smith.

Doesn't mean they can't change a game...

true, but rod smith hasn't been showing it. he's on pace for another 80 catch 1000 yard season
roaf on the other hand is beaten up, just getting off of an injury, and hasn't been near as dominant as he was in the past. i suppose the same could be said of shields too, but that guy hasn't ever missed a game

Dartgod
11-28-2005, 02:44 PM
What a 'tard... :shake:

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 02:46 PM

Speaking of which - where are all the Donkey trolls? I've not seen hide nor hair of the usual ones? GarciaBronco? TJ? MileHigh? VailPass?

why are you so quick to pass me off as a troll?
am i wrong? is kennison a quitter or not? as a bronco fan, i would know very well.
is your team elite? or even just above average? when's the last time you saw a super bowl? do you really think you're making the playoffs this year?

vailpass
11-28-2005, 02:46 PM

Donkey Troll am I? Why I never.....

stevieray
11-28-2005, 02:48 PM
am i wrong? is kennison a quitter or not? as a bronco fan, i would know very well.
is your team elite? or even just above average? when's the last time you saw a super bowl? do you really think you're making the playoffs this year?

because your smack is weak.

Dave Lane
11-28-2005, 02:53 PM
“After the game, he was more tired than we were,” Allen says. “And he was just on the sideline. That’s why we love playing for him. We give our heart. He gives his soul.”

Damn that almost gives you shivers

Dave

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 02:55 PM
because your smack is weak.

dunno about that, i seem to have an awful lot of you delusional homers responding to me. i guess you just hate to hear the truth

to be honest, i wouldn't have posted a single message on your board, until i read about how you guys actually think you're making the playoffs, and that you're actually glorifying your defense. its amazing how delusional mediocrity can make you, even raider fans understand that they suck and are looking to make some changes for next year and the year after. but you guys actually think you have a realistic shot, its cute really, although i wouldn't be too proud about being even more idiotic than raiders fans.

SCChief
11-28-2005, 02:58 PM

Kennison never has quit on the Chiefs. So I can't exactly call him a quitter. More of a man with common sense to get away from Incestco.

The question is whether YOUR team is elite. And that would be a big NO until you can win a playoff game without Elway. And before you bring it up, Chiefs fans are not running around on another team's website SAYING their team is elite.

As for the last time I saw a Superbowl, that would be last year. Pats and Eagles. But what does that have to do with this discussion?

As for us making the playoffs this year... just watch and see. Do you guys think you can finally beat Indy in the playoffs?

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Kennison never has quit on the Chiefs. So I can't exactly call him a quitter. More of a man with common sense to get away from Incestco.

The question is whether YOUR team is elite. And that would be a big NO until you can win a playoff game without Elway. And before you bring it up, Chiefs fans are not running around on another team's website SAYING their team is elite.

As for the last time I saw a Superbowl, that would be last year. Pats and Eagles. But what does that have to do with this discussion?

As for us making the playoffs this year... just watch and see. Do you guys think you can finally beat Indy in the playoffs?

it doesn't matter what chiefs fans are saying on our site, where i post normally we have a forum intended just for smack talk.

and i mean whens the last time the chiefs were in the super bowl, way to avoid the question.

Dartgod
11-28-2005, 03:06 PM
to be honest, i wouldn't have posted a single message on your board, until i read about how you guys actually think you're making the playoffs...
Did you even read this thread?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=129418

I see you posted on it, but had you actually read the damn thing, you would see that most people here realize that a playoff berth is a longshot at best.

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Did you even read this thread?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=129418

I see you posted on it, but had you actually read the damn thing, you would see that most people here realize that a playoff berth is a longshot at best.

some seem to feel its a longshot, others feel they have a realistic or semi-realistic chance.

you're all wrong though, you dont have a chance

stevieray
11-28-2005, 03:10 PM
dunno about that, i seem to have an awful lot of you delusional homers responding to me. i guess you just hate to hear the truth

to be honest, i wouldn't have posted a single message on your board, until i read about how you guys actually think you're making the playoffs, and that you're actually glorifying your defense. its amazing how delusional mediocrity can make you, even raider fans understand that they suck and are looking to make some changes for next year and the year after. but you guys actually think you have a realistic shot, its cute really, although i wouldn't be too proud about being even more idiotic than raiders fans.

even weaker.

SquirrellyBastard
11-28-2005, 03:12 PM
it doesn't matter what chiefs fans are saying on our site, where i post normally we have a forum intended just for smack talk.

and i mean whens the last time the chiefs were in the super bowl, way to avoid the question.

WTF! Who is this douche? It's not like Denver is going to get past Indy in the playoffs....look what has happened the last couple times they played Indy...
Your QB, Chester the Molester, will most likely implode this weekend...it will be glorious!

Dartgod
11-28-2005, 03:12 PM
some seem to feel its a longshot, others feel they have a realistic or semi-realistic chance.

you're all wrong though, you dont have a chance
Well then, if you say so, it must be true. :rolleyes:

vailpass
11-28-2005, 03:13 PM

Howdy AZfor Broncos-

They may have labeled you a troll because you showed up as a dinner guest and immediately stuck your dick in the mashed potatoes.

The members of this board, chiefs fans though they may be, are for the most part open to football talk if it doesn't come flying out like a hairball.

There is some good conversation to be had here if you use your guest manners to start with. Compliment the host, open that bottle of wine you brought, get to know the people at your table.
THEN stick your dick in the mashed potatoes.

Vailpass

SCChief
11-28-2005, 03:20 PM
Howdy AZfor Broncos-

They may have labeled you a troll because you showed up as a dinner guest and immediately stuck your dick in the mashed potatoes.

The members of this board, chiefs fans though they may be, are for the most part open to football talk if it doesn't come flying out like a hairball.

There is some good conversation to be had here if you use your guest manners to start with. Compliment the host, open that bottle of wine you brought, get to know the people at your table.

Vailpass

There had better not be ANYTHING in my mashed potatoes other than potatoes. If there is... we all know who gets the first serving.

Care for some potatoes, Vail?

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 03:21 PM
Howdy AZfor Broncos-

Vailpass

haha, you misunderstand me
i know im trolling, it was a question meant to be rhetorical and intended more as a mock than anything else.
it does look like good conversation and football talk can be found here, but im not looking for that because i already have enough of it with friends and other forums. i just came here for a bit to stir up some controversy prior to a big game this sunday, thats all.

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 03:22 PM
with that said, im tired
good luck this sunday, though even that probably wont be enough to get you a W

philfree
11-28-2005, 04:56 PM
Damn that almost gives you shivers

Dave

Goose bumps.........And a little mist :) Good job Jo Po.

PhilFree:arrow:

Calcountry
11-28-2005, 06:01 PM
the point is, this writer seems to be glorifying something that in no way deserves to be glorified. lets face it, the chiefs have had a poor defense for a while now, and you have made so many off season acquisitions and draft choices, and even brought in cunningham all to make your defense strong. and after all of that, you're 25th in the league? i'd be complaining about why you still can't get it done on the other side of the ball, not glorifying it.Looking forward, I see a Defense that is definitely on the incline.

Of course, looking backward, all you see is a sucky defense, and there is where you wish us to remain. Sorry bitch.

Calcountry
11-28-2005, 06:04 PM

Vailpass
This is taken straight out of the handbook, "Sophisticated Trolling", by Taco John.

Ralphy Boy
11-28-2005, 06:13 PM
Our offense is starting to come around. Roaf is just simply a difference maker. He really does change our whole offensive game plan.

Yeah he does, did anybody notice how we came out of the gate throwing a long ball down the field? We might have tried that in games without him, but we never had the time to allow the receiver to separate. With Welbourn playing well on the RT spot and Roaf back, our offense is starting to look like it used to.

With Roaf in the lineup we are 4 & 1.

That is a difference maker and considering we didn't have him when we last played Denver and Green was getting pummeled all day long from both ends, it could be enough to win it this weekend.

vailpass
11-28-2005, 06:17 PM
This is taken straight out of the handbook, "Sophisticated Trolling", by Taco John.

No sense of humor today Trader?

Red Dawg
11-28-2005, 06:34 PM

As if the Donkeys have proven anything. They have won nothing yet and unless it's the SB this year it means nothing. Plummer will never get them by Pitt nor Indy.

tommykat
11-28-2005, 06:38 PM
Just glad GUNN is back and teaching smash mouth football again!!! Allen rocks

kcxiv
11-28-2005, 06:44 PM
Isnt denver like Barely better defensively then us? we are ranked 23'rd in defense now. its not great, but our last few games have been.

kcxiv
11-28-2005, 06:47 PM
yep, They are at 318 a game and we are at 328 a game. like 5 spots better then us. Not to far away.

Hammock Parties
11-28-2005, 07:22 PM
Jo Po rules.

Hammock Parties
11-28-2005, 07:30 PM
If we each get our own personal heaven, well, this would be Gunther Cunningham’s heaven: an overcast day, a deafening Arrowhead Stadium, a Chiefs victory and a defense that believes that nobody is getting nothing.

That's my personal heaven, too! :deevee:

Hammock Parties
11-28-2005, 07:40 PM
I've been down (GROB)
now I'm blessed (GOOOONTHER!)
I felt a revelation coming around (Like a f*cking defense that stops people)
I guess its right (you damn right it is), it's so amazing (Yeah, Kawika used to suck)
everytime I see you (Gunther) I'm alive
you're all I've got (Gunther)
you (Gunther) lift me up
all my dreams are in your (Gunther's) eyes

I WANNA BE INSIDE YOUR HEAVEEEEEEEEEEEN!

Logical
11-28-2005, 07:51 PM
wrong about what?

Let's see last year your defense was 4th, now your 17th, it appears you are on your way to 31st next year. I like our trend a little better than your defensive trending.

tommykat
11-28-2005, 07:52 PM
Let's see last year your defense was 4th, now your 17th, it appears you are on your way to 31st next year. I like our trend a little better than your defensive trending.

ROFLROFL Touche'

Hammock Parties
11-28-2005, 07:57 PM

OWNED! OLD SKOOL LOGICAL BACK IN THA HIZZY! R3PR3Z3NT!11

kcfanXIII
11-28-2005, 08:00 PM
with what we saw for the past three years, its easy to compare these guys to the best defenses of chiefs past. there has been no defense in kc for three years. the fact kc shut down a qb who lead the NFL in yardage coming into the week, IS worth noting, but this team has a long way to go before it can be truely compared to the chiefs of old.

overall, i find myself getting more excited about the team's defense than the offense. Larry johnson, is a good start for rebuilding the offense, but the chiefs have a long way to go on that side of the ball. on defense however, they are lead by a linebacking core that has a rookie, derrick johnson, a third year player in kawika mitchell, and fourth year player kendrell bell. mitchell may be a fourth year player, i'm not really sure. with any luck the d-line will be infused with more young men like jared allen, through the draft. the secondary is older, but sapp seems to become a more complete DB with every game, how long has it been since he got called for pass interference. surtain and knight seem to be getting comfortable in there new colors, while wesly continues to play at an all pro level. warfield seems to be the weak link, but he's played well in recent weeks.

its a long tough road to the playoffs, so tie your cleats, and go to work kc!

dtebbe
11-28-2005, 08:12 PM
This is all fine and dandy, the question is will they stop the bootleg THIS Sunday? Denver has about 5 plays they run hopefully we can figure out how to stop at least 3 of them.

DT

Coach
11-28-2005, 08:16 PM
This is all fine and dandy, the question is will they stop the bootleg THIS Sunday? Denver has about 5 plays they run hopefully we can figure out how to stop at least 3 of them.

DT

I hope that Gunther will rip some asses during this week's practice, getting the guys ready for that shit. For games like this one, Arrowhead will be rocking. I hope that Plummer will get a face full of a now game proven D. Johnson the first time they run that crap, and he'll remember it for the rest of the game.

Deberg_1990
11-28-2005, 08:16 PM
The only thing holding this Defense back from being truly great is "Hicks, Dalton, Siavii, and Browning" They are all just ordinary. If we could get a DT "Stud" and collpase the pocket with more consistancy we could be truly awesume.

Coach
11-28-2005, 08:24 PM
The only thing holding this Defense back from being truly great is "Hicks, Dalton, Siavii, and Browning" They are all just ordinary. If we could get a DT "Stud" and collpase the pocket with more consistancy we could be truly awesume.

You know, you have a good point in a way. However, you have to give them credit for actually stopping the run.

I think the DT "Stud" is Sims, even though he haven't done jack-shit for some 2-3 years until he showed some flashes of brilliance during pre-season and part of the Jets game before he got injured.

I'm not saying Sims is THE answer. I'm just saying that Sims could be a possibility of that DT "Stud" We shall see.

Deberg_1990
11-28-2005, 08:30 PM
You know, you have a good point in a way. However, you have to give them credit for actually stopping the run.

I think the DT "Stud" is Sims, even though he haven't done jack-shit for some 2-3 years until he showed some flashes of brilliance during pre-season and part of the Jets game before he got injured.

I'm not saying Sims is THE answer. I'm just saying that Sims could be a possibility of that DT "Stud" We shall see.

I truly hope he is the answer. I dog on him alot but i really do hope he becomes that someday for us. Who knows?? If we could get that "Stud" DT who commands double teams, just think how much it would free up Allen, Dalton and even Hicks.