PDA

View Full Version : LJ is great and all but. . .

mac58
11-28-2005, 12:59 PM
he still doesnt have the nose for the endzone that priest had. Priest would have got in on at least 2 of those plays. Not knocking Larry hes playing great its just Priest was the best at waitng for his blocks turning that corner and getting into the endzone.

htismaqe
11-28-2005, 01:08 PM
That is a skill that improves with time. Larry Johnson just turned 26 10 days ago.

Priest Holmes was 27 when he got to KC (turned 28 in Oct 2001).

ROYC75
11-28-2005, 01:13 PM
LJ will only get better........ Give it some time.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Priest got better in the second half of games. LJ seems to be better in the first half

ceebz
11-28-2005, 03:35 PM
http://justinmg.home.comcast.net/forums/gsindifferent.gif

• Larry Johnson gained 119 yards rushing against the Patriots -- his fourth 100-yard game in four starts this season. Going into Monday Night's Colts-Steelers game, Johnson is the NFL leader with 569 yards rushing during November. (Edgerrin James needs 255 yards to pass Johnson).

Seriously, there's a number of things to complain about in regards to this team. LJ, however, is not one of them.

Wile_E_Coyote
11-28-2005, 03:37 PM
pounding the ball with LJ in the first half & Priest coming in on a worn down D would have been sweet to see :(

tk13
11-28-2005, 03:39 PM
Priest got better in the second half of games. LJ seems to be better in the first half
Well really he's only carried the load for a handful of games. We talk about him like he's a seasoned vet but he's really only started 8 or 9 games. That is something that happened last year though too, his ypc numbers kinda decrease as the game goes along. I'm not sure he's learned to pace himself yet, but I think that'll come with time.

I'm not sure he'll ever be as good of an endzone back as Priest because Priest is more willing to give his body up to score too. That's not saying LJ doesn't, LJ throws his body around more than a lot of backs, but it's more straight ahead, I'll run over you. Priest will run and jump and leap and fling his whole body into you, that's tough to stop. A lot of backs don't do that, LJ even said after the Oakland game he doesn't like to leap like that.

Deberg_1990
11-28-2005, 10:59 PM
he still doesnt have the nose for the endzone that priest had. .

You do realize that not many backs in the history of the NFL have had quite the nose for the endzone that Priest had??? Geez, give LJ a break...I seriously doubt LJ will ever score 30 TD's in a season, but that doesnt make him any lesser a back.

|Zach|
11-28-2005, 11:00 PM
I am confused as to the purpose of this thread.

LJ is our running back. Priest is our injured running back. They are not the same person.

PastorMikH
11-28-2005, 11:02 PM

I wonder if part of that is Al getting cute with playcalling as the game goes on. In the Bills game, LJ didn't get the ball much after the midpoint of the second quarter.

KCJake
11-29-2005, 12:13 AM
I completely agree. I was waiting for someone to bring this up. Don't get me wrong, LJ is a tremendous back. Top 3-4 in the NFL. But you are right. He doesn't have a nose for the end zone. Even more, I don't think he's a very good short-yardage runner. 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3, if the hole isn't there, he's not making it. A lot of it is the stand-up running style he has.

Like you guys said, with time he will get better at it.

Demonpenz
11-29-2005, 12:32 AM
priest had a knack of turning sideways plus he was small needed little room to power up like he was in nfl2k1. When priest got airborne and turned sideways there wasn't much room to hit

Rausch
11-29-2005, 12:35 AM
That is a skill that improves with time. Larry Johnson just turned 26 10 days ago.

Priest Holmes was 27 when he got to KC (turned 28 in Oct 2001).

I keep thinking about Priest being old and it just dawned on me that he's only 3 years older than I am.

greg63
11-29-2005, 12:49 AM
A nose for the end zone is an ability that LJ will develop the more plays and more experience he gains.

Straight, No Chaser
11-29-2005, 02:35 AM
I completely agree. I was waiting for someone to bring this up. Don't get me wrong, LJ is a tremendous back. Top 3-4 in the NFL. But you are right. He doesn't have a nose for the end zone. Even more, I don't think he's a very good short-yardage runner. 3rd and 2 or 3rd and 3, if the hole isn't there, he's not making it...

This will really be the week to see if LJ "is all that."

Larry Coyer is probably licking his chops scheming for Kansas City without Priest Holmes. Of late, Holmes & Co. have bruised and beaten the Donks at Arrowhead. With LJ starting, I think you'll see Coyer being VERY aggressive; blitzes to shake Trent, zone/run blitzes early and often to stymie the Chiefs running attack. I bet you'll see them even call a few all-out blitzes as well. LJ runs straight ahead and this is what they will expect on Sunday. Having Holmes in the backfield probably doubles the possibilities for a defense to plan for.

Trent needs to have a sharp game passing to keep them honest. If that happens, LJ could get some nice gains. We need to keep them guessing by mixing it up AL!

Ahhh, like always, we will struggle (what do you expect, a blowout?).

--->

Hammock Parties
11-29-2005, 02:40 AM
LJ ****ed up the Donkeys last year, so what are you babbling about again?

Straight, No Chaser
11-29-2005, 02:51 AM
LJ ****ed up the Donkeys last year, so what are you babbling about again?

Uhhh, right. That was last year. I think the Donks made some defensive personnel moves in the offseason (if I'm not mistaken).

According to NFL.com, they have the #1 rated rushing defense.

But, you must be right. I am babbling. I don't care how many yards he gets, or if he *****up the Donkeys. I'd take a touchdown or two in the Red Zone though.

--->

Rausch
11-29-2005, 03:01 AM
Uhhh, right. That was last year. I think the Donks made some defensive personnel moves in the offseason (if I'm not mistaken).

Yeah, they resigned a LB and added an over the hill SS.

And we have the no 5 rated rush defense.

And over the last 5 games, the third best rusher.

htismaqe
11-29-2005, 08:38 AM
This will really be the week to see if LJ "is all that."

Larry Coyer is probably licking his chops scheming for Kansas City without Priest Holmes. Of late, Holmes & Co. have bruised and beaten the Donks at Arrowhead. With LJ starting, I think you'll see Coyer being VERY aggressive; blitzes to shake Trent, zone/run blitzes early and often to stymie the Chiefs running attack. I bet you'll see them even call a few all-out blitzes as well. LJ runs straight ahead and this is what they will expect on Sunday. Having Holmes in the backfield probably doubles the possibilities for a defense to plan for.

Trent needs to have a sharp game passing to keep them honest. If that happens, LJ could get some nice gains. We need to keep them guessing by mixing it up AL!

Ahhh, like always, we will struggle (what do you expect, a blowout?).

--->

Give me a break. Larry put 151 yards and 2 TD's on them at this same time last year.

They added Ian Gold but moved DJ Williams to the strong side, where he hasn't been as effective.

morphius
11-29-2005, 08:43 AM
Odd, Priests first year as our starter I said the same thing about him. That first year he got tackled at the 1-3 yard line all the damn time.

htismaqe
11-29-2005, 08:43 AM

But, you must be right. I am babbling. I don't care how many yards he gets, or if he *****up the Donkeys. I'd take a touchdown or two in the Red Zone though.

--->

I debunked this myth yesterday.

They're 2nd in the NFL in rushing yards at 788.

They're FIRST in the NFL in fewest attempts at 198.

They're EIGHTEENTH in the stat that really matters - rushing yards per carry - 3.98.

Denver relies on their offense putting their foot on the accelerator and not letting up.

As for Larry Johnson's effectiveness in the red zone, they've got to give him the ball. Again versus the Patriots they throw 2 out of 3 downs, even when inside the 5. But when you suggest that he's not that good at it, you're talking out of your ass.

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/396164/splits/2005

7 TD's inside of the opponent's 20, 7 of his 9 total TD's. He's 7th in the NFL among ALL players, not just RB's, in TD's.

morphius
11-29-2005, 08:46 AM
7 TD's inside of the opponent's 20, 7 of his 9 total TD's. He's 7th in the NFL among ALL players, not just RB's, in TD's.

And Jordan Black is no Roaf on the left side, and we haven't had Roaf for many of those red zone attempts this year.

htismaqe
11-29-2005, 09:18 AM
And Jordan Black is no Roaf on the left side, and we haven't had Roaf for many of those red zone attempts this year.

Some people will do anything to lay the blame on LJ, just because we picked him instead of who they wanted...

ChiefsfaninPA
11-29-2005, 09:20 AM
Some people will do anything to lay the blame on LJ, just because we picked him instead of who they wanted...\

If these guys on this board would be picking draft picks for a team, they would finish last in there division. We have so many draft experts on this board I am convinced one of them is the real Mel Kipper.

TRR
11-29-2005, 09:40 AM
LJ will never have a nose for the endzone like Priest Holmes had. Even at Texas, Holmes was a scoring machine. He just has that low center of gravity that you can't teach. LJ is productive in the redzone, but Priest is the best goal line/red zone runner in the history of the NFL IMHO.

Mr. Laz
11-29-2005, 09:42 AM
Some people will do anything to lay the blame on LJ, just because we picked him instead of who they wanted...
i thought people would do anything to blame Carl for everything?

i get so confused about the latest martyr :hmmm:

htismaqe
11-29-2005, 09:42 AM
LJ will never have a nose for the endzone like Priest Holmes had. Even at Texas, Holmes was a scoring machine. He just has that low center of gravity that you can't teach. LJ is productive in the redzone, but Priest is the best goal line/red zone runner in the history of the NFL IMHO.

:clap:

Excellent post. It's like the "LJ is a fumbler" argument.

It's just not fair to LJ to compare him to Priest. It's like comparing Derrick Johnson to Lawrence Taylor.

htismaqe
11-29-2005, 09:45 AM
i thought people would do anything to blame Carl for everything?

i get so confused about the latest martyr :hmmm:

Brilliant. I guess I missed the part where the two things were mutually exclusive.

You only have to spend a short time here to understand that people hate the player, even though the player had no control who drafted them.

Straight, No Chaser
11-29-2005, 11:37 PM
Yeah, they resigned a LB and added an over the hill SS.

And we have the no 5 rated rush defense.

And over the last 5 games, the third best rusher.

Ruben Droughns to Cleveland for practically their entire underacheiving DL. Although they seem to be doing better in Denver :rolleyes: I guess it's difficult for you to remember back to September 26 when we were dominated at the line.
That's OK, I like your optimism!

KCChiefsMan
11-29-2005, 11:39 PM
funny how short of a memory some have after the last raiders game.

Straight, No Chaser
11-29-2005, 11:49 PM

They're EIGHTEENTH in the stat that really matters - rushing yards per carry - 3.98....

Here's what Vermiel said about Denver defense in his press conference:

“They’re the number two running team in football and the number one team in football in defending the run which is a pretty good indication of team strength. We are number four in running offense and number five in defending the run. So, we’re not quite to their level and have to take our game to match that... "

Not sure why you're citing their offensive rushing stats?

-->

KCJake
11-29-2005, 11:59 PM
\

If these guys on this board would be picking draft picks for a team, they would finish last in there division. We have so many draft experts on this board I am convinced one of them is the real Mel Kipper.
Draft Experts? How about play calling experts!!!! Green throws a 52 yard TD to Dante, and people are b!tching. "Run the damn football Al" :cuss:

easymobee
11-30-2005, 01:52 AM

They're EIGHTEENTH in the stat that really matters - rushing yards per carry - 3.98.

Denver relies on their offense putting their foot on the accelerator and not letting up.

Thats also why Denver's pass D is ranked in the lower half of the league.

philfree
11-30-2005, 02:06 AM
Draft Experts? How about play calling experts!!!! Green throws a 52 yard TD to Dante, and people are b!tching. "Run the damn football Al" :cuss:

I have preached many a time during this season that I would give Bo more reps and cut Dante's reps because Bo is more of a deep threat........and then look what happened. Does anyone reading this doubt that the Donks are spending a little more time thinking about Dante as they prepare for this sundays game? As much as I still think I might be a little right they pretty much showed me that I should STFU and let them run the offense. .....Arrowhead.....December........The Donks.............. :) and Dante Hall :) .....We'll be lucky to come out with a win......... ;)

PhilFree:arrow: