View Full Version : The Kiss of Death.

Saulbadguy
11-28-2005, 02:10 PM
Damn, that would suck.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/conditions/11/28/kiss.death.ap/index.html

Girl with peanut allergy dies after kiss

Monday, November 28, 2005; Posted: 2:56 p.m. EST (19:56 GMT)

Programming Note: A look at the dangers of peanut allergies and ways to avoid deadly reactions, "Paula Zahn NOW," 8 p.m. ET

SAGUENAY, Quebec (AP) -- A 15-year-old girl with a peanut allergy died after kissing her boyfriend, who had just eaten a peanut butter snack, hospital officials said Monday.

Christina Desforges died in a Quebec hospital Wednesday after doctors were unable to treat her allergic reaction to the kiss the previous weekend.

Desforges, who lived in Saguenay, about 155 miles north of Quebec City, was almost immediately given a shot of Adrenaline, a standard tool for treating the anaphylactic shock brought on by a peanut allergy, officials said.

An autopsy was being performed. Dr. Nina Verreault, an allergist at the Chicoutimi Hospital in Saguenay, declined to comment on the case.

The symptoms of peanut allergy can include hives, plunging blood pressure and swelling of the face and throat, which can block breathing.

Peanut allergies have been rising in recent decades. The reason remains unclear, but one study found that baby creams or lotions with peanut oil may cause children to develop allergies later in life.

About 1.5 million Americans are severely allergic to even the smallest trace of peanuts and peanut allergies account for 50 to 100 deaths in the United States each year. Canadian figures were not immediately available.

Scorp
11-28-2005, 02:12 PM
Thats NUTS! ROFL

chagrin
11-28-2005, 02:13 PM
Hey, you got your chocolate in MY Peanut Butter!

DeepSouth
11-28-2005, 02:32 PM
What a goober.

chagrin
11-28-2005, 02:35 PM
that's pretty funny

Phobia
11-28-2005, 02:35 PM
Right. I'll bet she was slow and he had to rub peanutbutter all over it to get her down.

ptlyon
11-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Thank god that ain't my dog.

Rain Man
11-28-2005, 03:05 PM
George Washington Carver doesn't like white people.

PastorMikH
11-28-2005, 06:40 PM
There's a kid in my youngest daughter's school that has this same allergy to peanuts. There can't be ANY and I mean ANY peanut products at the school. There are signs at the school entrances that tell of the prohibited peanut products. Even the slightest contact is said to be potentially fatal for the kid with the allergy.

You know how hard it is for your first grader to take a lunch to school that doesn't include a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

Phobia
11-28-2005, 06:43 PM

Now that's one of the funnier posts I've read today.

Skip Towne
11-28-2005, 06:46 PM
Now that's one of the funnier posts I've read today.
Go read the most famous murderer thread. Hilarious.

4th and Long
11-28-2005, 06:49 PM
Dude pobably ate some peanuts, wasnt going to kiss her because of the allergy but, he was still hungry and she misunderstood him when he said, "I wanna cashew now." and thought he said, "I wanna kiss you now."

Rain Man
11-28-2005, 06:51 PM
There's a kid in my youngest daughter's school that has this same allergy to peanuts. There can't be ANY and I mean ANY peanut products at the school. There are signs at the school entrances that tell of the prohibited peanut products. Even the slightest contact is said to be potentially fatal for the kid with the allergy.

You know how hard it is for your first grader to take a lunch to school that doesn't include a peanut butter and jelly sandwich?

Seriously? No kid in the school is allowed to bring in any peanut products? I would think that that would be unenforceable just due to the fact that most kids and parents wouldn't remember.

WisChief
11-28-2005, 06:54 PM

George Washington Carver (http://www.nps.gov/gwca/)

Saulbadguy
11-28-2005, 06:56 PM
:shrug:

Can't be that rough. Unless you are a dancing banana. :PBJ:

PastorMikH
11-28-2005, 07:51 PM
Seriously? No kid in the school is allowed to bring in any peanut products? I would think that that would be unenforceable just due to the fact that most kids and parents wouldn't remember.

Yeah. I think that they have the word out enough that parents know. He's made it through kiddygarden and a third of the first grade so far. And, with the school letting parrents know that this kid could actually die from even a remote contact with peanut products, they are pretty accomodating.

But when it comes to lunch, we're stuck with buying the school lunch. I hate to send lunch meat and have it sit in the classroom all morning before she eats it and I don't want to be the parent that sends peanut butter to school.

Saulbadguy
11-28-2005, 07:55 PM
Is it just peanuts?

There are substitutes available made from other nuts.

PastorMikH
11-28-2005, 07:59 PM
Is it just peanuts?

There are substitutes available made from other nuts.

I'm not sure with this kid actually. But I do believe the school policy in no nuts in general.

cdcox
11-28-2005, 08:00 PM
But when it comes to lunch, we're stuck with buying the school lunch. I hate to send lunch meat and have it sit in the classroom all morning before she eats it and I don't want to be the parent that sends peanut butter to school.

Pastor, when you were a kid I bet you brought your lunch in your GI Joe lunch box and let is sit there all unrefrigerated until lunch time. You ate it and were fine. I still take a bag lunch and do the same. An added benefit is that it will improve your kid's immune system.

PastorMikH
11-28-2005, 08:01 PM
Pastor, when you were a kid I bet you brought your lunch in your GI Joe lunch box and let is sit there all unrefrigerated until lunch time. You ate it and were fine. I still take a bag lunch and do the same. An added benefit is that it will improve your kid's immune system.

Mine was peanut butter and jelly and it sat in a Sigmond and the Seamonster lunchbox.

:)

Saulbadguy
11-28-2005, 08:02 PM
It won't hurt the lunch meat to sit there for a few hours.

Rain Man
11-28-2005, 08:05 PM
I can put on my memory goggles and still smell the inside of my Secret Agent lunch box, from the smell of six years of Taystee bread and lunch meat ham.

Did you guys use to have contests to see who could drink a half-pint of milk the fastest? That was a regular lunchtime pastime in my day.

cdcox
11-28-2005, 08:08 PM
They also have refrigeratable/insulated lunch bags these days that will keep it cooler for longer. But your poor kid's immune system won't get the added boost.

Ebolapox
11-28-2005, 08:11 PM

eh, he was no fan of plantation owners

-EB-

KCChiefsMan
11-28-2005, 10:40 PM
that's pretty funny

I'm sorry, but I don't see the humor in that

Demonpenz
11-29-2005, 12:36 AM
oh man, i was going to tea bag her too...

chagrin
11-29-2005, 11:39 AM
I'm sorry, but I don't see the humor in that

I was referring to the quote made before I posted that.

kepp
11-29-2005, 12:15 PM
I can put on my memory goggles and still smell the inside of my Secret Agent lunch box, from the smell of six years of Taystee bread and lunch meat ham.

Did you guys use to have contests to see who could drink a half-pint of milk the fastest? That was a regular lunchtime pastime in my day.
We used to see who could make someone sick by saying gross things. It only happened once that I can remember. We found that regurgitated cole slaw looks almost exactly the same as before it was eaten.

ck_IN
11-29-2005, 12:22 PM
That's amazing. I'd heard of people having reactions from just smelling peanut butter but to actually die from a kiss is incredible.

Glad my wife doesn't have such an allergy. I practally live on peanut butter.