Every year I give my employees the follow days off for the holidays

Work only half the day before thanksgiving
Thanksgiving
Day After Thanksgiving

Christmas Eve
Christmas
New Years Eve
New Years Day

This year Christmas and New Years Day is on a Sunday. What should I do, I know I would want an extra day off. What are you or your employers doing this year?

I was thinking about giving the 26th and 2nd off this year.

JimNasium
11-28-2005, 02:39 PM
We are giving employees the 26th and the 2nd off.

Rain Man
11-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Man, you're pretty generous. We only give out the two Thanksgiving days, Christmas day, and New Year's day.

Hoover
11-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Good Hoover says Give them the 2 extra days off. Bad Hoover says to effin bad, use your vacation.

JimNasium
11-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Man, you're pretty generous. We only give out the two Thanksgiving days, Christmas day, and New Year's day.
Scrooge.

Hoover
11-28-2005, 02:46 PM
This is kinda a slow time for Fundraising so I hate to be a dick, but its alos the time I want people to use their vacation days. I go all out for Thanksgiving.

morphius
11-28-2005, 02:47 PM
I think you will find that most companies only give 1 day off for those holliday's. If it falls on a Sat people get Friday off, if it falls on a Sun then we get Monday off.

Mr. Flopnuts
11-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Good Hoover says Give them the 2 extra days off. Bad Hoover says to effin bad, use your vacation.

My employers are bad Hoover. Funny cause my bosses last name is Hoover too. It must be a sign from God. I'm screwed, they are too. Okay that's bad. I'm pissed there is no days off for Christmas and New Years this year. Tough call for you. I'd give it to them, but that's easy to say in my position as employee rather than employer.

chiefsfaninNC
11-28-2005, 02:48 PM
We generally get T-giving and the day after. Day before x-mas, x-mas, and the day after. New years eve and day. Because of weekend we only get the Monday following on x-mas and new years. Everyone is still more than happy. The calendar shit us this year.

Amnorix
Workplace average, I think, is to let folks out early Xmas eve, and to work a full day New Year's eve. Only Xmas and New Year's are real days off.

If it's less disruptive to your workplace, and not an administrative nightmare, instead of giving up two regular workdays, you could give out two "floating" holidays they can take.

If, in all reality, not much work gets done anyway and it's not a busy time of the year, so the financial impact to you is small, then the employee goodwill may suggest giving them the days off.

Phobia
You should fire your employees on Dec 23rd and hire new employees Jan 2nd. That's what I do.

Rain Man
11-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Scrooge.

Hardly. I rent very nice laptops so they can work at home those days and be with their families.

JimNasium
11-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Hardly. I rent very nice laptops so they can work at home those days and be with their families.
I hope the ghost of Elway past pays you a visit this year.

Hoover
11-28-2005, 02:59 PM
You should fire your employees on Dec 23rd and hire new employees Jan 2nd. That's what I do.
Yeah, thats what happens after an election. I keep the ones I can't afford to lose, and lay the rest off. I encourage them to take unemployment, last time I hired everyone back in 2-3 months. This cycle I think I'll keep everyone on with no lay offs.

JohninGpt
11-28-2005, 03:02 PM
The official Federal holidays are both Mondays, the 26th and 2nd.

Fire Me Boy!
11-28-2005, 03:12 PM
I know at my workplace, our employer gives us a "floating" holiday. Which means we get to take any day off we want within 30 days. Now, while that's okay, I know a clear majority of the people I work with would rather have the day after Christmas off than some random day in January.

Dave Lane
11-28-2005, 03:18 PM

I once hired a gal who secretly had an employee meeting and they decided to add Good Friday, 4th July (which I did anyway) Labor day, memorial day, Halloween, all national holidays and 14 employee flex days in addition to two weeks vacation. In all it was 53 days off a year. And this for a 24/7 tech support ISP.

Needless to say she was gone within two weeks. My comment was wow a 4 day work week!

Dave

jidar
11-28-2005, 03:22 PM
Put in another vote for the 26th and 2nd, it's what we do here.
I'd give it to them if I were you.

Extra Point
11-28-2005, 03:43 PM
Tell them you're going to 1099 all of them. That way, they can all work for themselves and get cumulatively one day off a week, just like their present employer!

teedubya
11-28-2005, 03:56 PM
I think you should bring in a mobile strip club in your compnaies parking lot. That would boost morale.

Extra Point
11-28-2005, 04:03 PM
I think you should bring in a mobile strip club in your compnaies parking lot. That would boost morale.

Remember, the employer/employee relationship works both ways.

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Every year I give my employees the follow days off for the holidays

Work only half the day before thanksgiving
Thanksgiving
Day After Thanksgiving

Christmas Eve
Christmas
New Years Eve
New Years Day

This year Christmas and New Years Day is on a Sunday. What should I do, I know I would want an extra day off. What are you or your employers doing this year?

I was thinking about giving the 26th and 2nd off this year.

The following Monday is standard for SAT/Sun holidays