PDA

View Full Version : Who's the all time best RB in NFL history?

CoMoChief
11-28-2005, 02:40 PM
Theres probably been many threads on something like this long b4 I became a member but since Marty and ESPN are all talking about this I would just like to have some peoples input on this subject.

So who's the best RB ever?

Jim Brown
Gayle Sayers
OJ Simpson
Emmitt Smith (pffff.)
Walter Payton
Barry Sanders
Marshall Faulk
LaDanian Tomlinson
Bo Jackson
Tony Dorsett
Eric Dickerson
and last but not least.....Mike Cloud

CoMoChief
11-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Personally I would say Bo Jackson.

Two Words......Tecmo Bowl.

chiefsfaninNC
11-28-2005, 02:41 PM
Tie between Barry Sanders and Sweetness!

Rain Man
11-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Payton was the best running back.

Sanders was the best runner.

mac58
11-28-2005, 02:43 PM
i cant believe that LT is even an option already. I think marty shot is losing his ****ing mind.

JimNasium
11-28-2005, 02:44 PM
Jim Brown.

Phobia
11-28-2005, 02:44 PM
Define "best".

Most skills? Best results? Combination of both?

Clearly Bo Jackson had the most talent of any RB to ever play the game. Despite his Raider heritage, it's a shame we never got to see what he could accomplish over 16 games and 10 seasons.

Mark M
11-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Jim Brown. NO ONE has had that kind of power, speed, agility, attitude and pure god-given ability.

Next would be Sweetness -- did it all, and did it all well.

Then Barry Sanders -- freaking pinball able to break it any time, anywhere.

Emmitt Smith, although he was embarassing at the end, would have to be fourth, and then it gets messy.

MM
~~:shrug:

HemiEd
11-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Gale Sayers, career was cut short, but he was the best IMO.

Kylo Ren
11-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Jesse Haynes NEVER got the shot that he deserved!!

AZforBroncos
11-28-2005, 02:50 PM
gotta be jim brown, watching him play was like watching a man play amongst boys
second is barry sanders
third is the sweetness

MIAdragon
11-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Personally I would say Bo Jackson.

Two Words......Tecmo Bowl.

NO DOUBT that end around to the left side is unstoppable!

but really I think Bary Sanders, Had Jackson had the chance to play I dont think there would be any question.

Amnorix
11-28-2005, 02:53 PM
I never saw him play, but everything I have heard points in one direction -- Jim Brown.

P.S. I would NEVER take Sanders. I loved to watch him, but it was live by him or die by him. His average game seemed to be:

6 yards
-3 yards
32 yards
2 yards
3 yards
6 yards
-5 yards
-2 yards
15 yards

etc. ad infinitum. I seriously think that although he was a great weapon in some ways, his running style is NOT very conducive to having a championship football team.

I'm not saying that 3 yards and a cloud of dust is better. But I do think that I'd take a guy like Payton, who was less explosive but more consistent, over Sanders.

Amnorix
11-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Emmitt Smith, although he was embarassing at the end, would have to be fourth, and then it gets messy.

MM
~~:shrug:

No way. Smith is a tribute to what you get when you take a very good running back (especially at staying healthy) and surround him with lots of superior talent on offense.

Smith is VERY good, don't get me wrong, and it's a tribute to him that he was consistnetly very good and consistently healthy, but he's not in the same tier as some of these other guys, IMHO.

chiefsfaninNC
11-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Who was the catcher in the famous "Unfair play at the plate"? I remember the hilight on TV. Bo knocked that catcher into this year.

Brock
11-28-2005, 02:58 PM
I heard it was Reggie Bush.

chagrin
11-28-2005, 03:03 PM
Greg Hill, the original #27

shakesthecat
11-28-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm not saying he was the best, but one things certain, OJ will never again get the credit he deserves for his football accomplishments.

I've only seen Sayers on film, but I'd take him as he was not only a great runner, but a damn good reciever and KR, too.

jspchief
11-28-2005, 03:04 PM
I never saw him play, but everything I have heard points in one direction -- Jim Brown.

P.S. I would NEVER take Sanders. I loved to watch him, but it was live by him or die by him. His average game seemed to be:

6 yards
-3 yards
32 yards
2 yards
3 yards
6 yards
-5 yards
-2 yards
15 yards

etc. ad infinitum. I seriously think that although he was a great weapon in some ways, his running style is NOT very conducive to having a championship football team.

I'm not saying that 3 yards and a cloud of dust is better. But I do think that I'd take a guy like Payton, who was less explosive but more consistent, over Sanders.The whole Barry Sanders losing yards crap is so overblown it's laughable.

Sanders' negative runs totaled around 1100 yards for his career. That's less than 10 yards per game. Considering he averaged almost 100 yards per game for his career, that 10 ypg loss is pretty negligable.

Sure, there were some games where he had a lot of negative runs. But that was a product of him making plays when the line didn't give him a hole. For every stupid -8 yard run, there's two 8 yard gains that he pulled out of his ass.

He finished 5th or better in rushing yards 7 of his 9 years in the league, the only two he didn't were an injury plagued year and his final year.

MIAdragon
11-28-2005, 03:09 PM
Who was the catcher in the famous "Unfair play at the plate"? I remember the hilight on TV. Bo knocked that catcher into this year.

I dont know but the time he used the "Boz" as a "cleat cleaner" has great

Ebolapox
11-28-2005, 03:09 PM
for my money, it's Barry f*cking Sanders... or, I should say, he's my favorite RB of alltime

and as for 'best of alltime, not my favorite' category, it'd have to be sweetness

-EB-

ct
11-28-2005, 03:10 PM
Jim...Freakin...Brown!

Rain Man
11-28-2005, 03:11 PM
I'm not saying he was the best, but one things certain, OJ will never again get the credit he deserves for his football accomplishments.

His endorsement deals seem to have dried up, too.

Other than that Ginsu contract, of course.

http://www.kingkahler.com/GinsuKnives.jpg

Ebolapox
11-28-2005, 03:14 PM
Jim...Freakin...Brown!

dude was as big if not bigger, as strong if not stronger, and much faster than ALMOST EVERY offensive lineman and/or defensive lineman, or ANY player on defense of the time... with those advantages, I'D be the best RB of alltime... it's like putting michael vick on a peewee team--it's that unfair

-EB-

shakesthecat
11-28-2005, 03:16 PM
[QUOTE=Rain Man]His endorsement deals seem to have dried up, too.

Other than that Ginsu contract, of course.

ROFL
"Lops off your Ex's head AND STILL cuts thru an aluminum can!"

I'm sure it was just a coinsidence that Ford discontinued the Bronco about that time.

wilas101
11-28-2005, 03:18 PM
dude was as big if not bigger, as strong if not stronger, and much faster than ALMOST EVERY offensive lineman and/or defensive lineman, or ANY player on defense of the time... with those advantages, I'D be the best RB of alltime... it's like putting michael vick on a peewee team--it's that unfair

Our pee-wee kids would have speared Vick in his "little Ronnie Mexico" and negated him for the rest of the day. They were vicious little turds.

Mark M
11-28-2005, 03:19 PM

6 yards
-3 yards
32 yards
2 yards
3 yards
6 yards
-5 yards
-2 yards
15 yards

I'm not saying that 3 yards and a cloud of dust is better. But I do think that I'd take a guy like Payton, who was less explosive but more consistent, over Sanders.

While I see your point, you have to realize that he played behind a subpar oline.

Put him behind the Chiefs line of the last few years and the guy would be having 2500 yard seasons.

MM
~~:)

siberian khatru
11-28-2005, 03:21 PM
JB

Baby Lee
11-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Best Highlights - Barry Sanders
Best against his opposition at the time - Jim Brown
Most dependable work horse - Walter Payton/Emmitt Smith
Best Athlete - Bo Jackson
Ran himself to death - Earl Campbell
Most over looked [and nearly best overall] - Eric Dickerson
Best overall - Gale Sayers

Boardin Bronco
11-28-2005, 03:24 PM
Jim Brown is hands down the greatest ever.

Lenny Moore deserves more love. He was the greatest running-receiving combo back in NFL history.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/BroncoLB56/LennyMoore.jpg

Garcia Bronco
11-28-2005, 03:25 PM
I gotta go with Terrell Davis...best ever in my book.

MOhillbilly
11-28-2005, 03:25 PM
Earl the Pearl
The guy ran so hard in his short time hes a cripple now.
not to mention that he played w/ some HORRID Oilers teams. Campbell would get more props if the steelers hadnt STOLEN the AFC title game in 80(?)

Skip Towne
11-28-2005, 03:28 PM
Jim Brown - 5.2 ypc. Mercury Morris - 5.1. Sayers and Sanders 5.0. OJ - 4.7. Priest 4.6. Emmitt Smith 4.2. Smith would have been average at best with most any other O line.

Rain Man
11-28-2005, 03:30 PM

Wow, what a miguided freaking hom- oh, wait. He probably does warrant some discussion.

As mentioned by mohillbilly, Earl Campbell definitely deserves consideration. He made many eye-popping runs.

Another guy who probably should be in the mix is Marcus Allen. He could do it all.

Molitoth
11-28-2005, 03:34 PM
Barry Sanders hands down.

Although I never got to watch Jim Brown play.

Skip Towne
11-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Terrell Davis 4.6, Earl Campbell 4.3.

Baby Lee
11-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Terrell Davis 4.6, Earl Campbell 4.3.
Skip's vote? Og, dude could run down a Sabre Toothed Tiger on the open plain.

Amnorix
11-28-2005, 03:50 PM
The whole Barry Sanders losing yards crap is so overblown it's laughable.

Sanders' negative runs totaled around 1100 yards for his career. That's less than 10 yards per game. Considering he averaged almost 100 yards per game for his career, that 10 ypg loss is pretty negligable.

Sure, there were some games where he had a lot of negative runs. But that was a product of him making plays when the line didn't give him a hole. For every stupid -8 yard run, there's two 8 yard gains that he pulled out of his ass.

He finished 5th or better in rushing yards 7 of his 9 years in the league, the only two he didn't were an injury plagued year and his final year.

It's not based on stats, it's based on me watching him play.

He was electric and exciting, but I never thought he was consistent, but somehow I just didn't think he was well designed to get his team to the promised land.

Maybe it was more like:

or something. I dunno. I couldn't tell you any stats about the man except that he retired JUST before he was gong to pass whoever (Sweetness? Brown?) for the all time rushing record.

Heck, I dunno -- maybe it was his OLine in play as well. Maybe it was ust alot of tough competition in the NFC back in those days that he was up against.

But somehow, I never thought "Damn, those Lions with that guy are just gonna be an unstoppable force this year."

Skip Towne
11-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Wow, what a miguided freaking hom- oh, wait. He probably does warrant some discussion.

As mentioned by mohillbilly, Earl Campbell definitely deserves consideration. He made many eye-popping runs.

Another guy who probably should be in the mix is Marcus Allen. He could do it all.
Marcus Allen 4.1.

Amnorix
11-28-2005, 04:00 PM
While I see your point, you have to realize that he played behind a subpar oline.

Put him behind the Chiefs line of the last few years and the guy would be having 2500 yard seasons.

MM

Probably, but that's not really all that relevant is it? Jim Brown would too. So woudl Payton.

I agree that Sanders OLines (and QBs, for that matter) were at best average for most of his career. At best...

Amnorix
11-28-2005, 04:02 PM

Allen was great. Deserved HOF. And he could "do it all", but he couldn't do anything better than the rest.

Look, we're into comparative greatness here, so we're into advanced hair-splitting. IMHO Allen was great, but not THAT great, if you know what I mean.

Amnorix
11-28-2005, 04:03 PM
Davis and Campbell both get tossed aside for the same reason -- they broke down just a wee bit too soon.

MOhillbilly
11-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Allen was great. Deserved HOF. And he could "do it all", but he couldn't do anything better than the rest.

Marcus allen is the ONLY player ive ever seen who could hit a hole sideways at full tilt.

cdcox
11-28-2005, 04:07 PM
I never saw Jim Brown play, but would vote for him based on reputation. Would have liked to have seen Gayle Sayers as well.

Best I ever say play:

Earl Cambell
Barry Sanders
Walter Payton - best all around back, but I favor eye popping runners.
OJ Simpson

kcxiv
11-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Jim Brown and Gayle Sayers.

MOhillbilly
11-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Davis and Campbell both get tossed aside for the same reason -- they broke down just a wee bit too soon.

by that logic davis shouldnt even be considered. he had a great line,wr, qb and defense.
campbell had stabler on the backslide of his career and a horrid support cast.

Mark M
11-28-2005, 04:28 PM
Probably, but that's not really all that relevant is it? Jim Brown would too. So woudl Payton.

I agree that Sanders OLines (and QBs, for that matter) were at best average for most of his career. At best...

And yet he gained more than 14,000 yards, IIRC.

That franchise hasn't been the same since he left.

MM

NJ Chief Fan
11-28-2005, 04:39 PM
its gotta be barry...simply on this...he led the lions THE FREAKEN LIONS to the playoffs and the fact that he never ever had anything that resembled an offensive line..he had to carry that whole team and franchise on his back

Red Dawg
11-28-2005, 04:39 PM
Payton, no doubt he was the best ever. Power, good speed, some elusiveness but most of all the guy worked his ass off and never quit. He was one tough mother focker to bring down.

Ralphy Boy
11-28-2005, 04:48 PM
gotta be jim brown, watching him play was like watching a man play amongst boys
second is barry sanders
third is the sweetness

That's because he was a man amongst boys. The league wasn't the same then as it is now and to compare the two is almost impossible. I tend to always think that, in any sport, the modern athlete is usually the better athlete because they've evolved into it ***cough***steroids***cough! They train year round today and they didn't then, most of the guys that Jim Brown played against had offseason jobs selling cars or working construction.

So while you could say that Brown was clearly the best of his generation its hard to say how he would have fared in today's game. He very well could have come into todays game and dominated like a Bo Jackson could have if not for injury or like a Priest Holmes could have if he were in our offense his entire career or if Marshall Faulk had played in St Louis his whole career. That's a lot of "if's".

I guess I'm not a good guy to comment on this in general anyway as I don't think an athlete comes around very often who transcends his sport and dominates in a way that leaves no doubt. Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Babe Ruth, Muhammad Ali. My list is pretty short.

Baby Lee
11-28-2005, 04:56 PM
Who's the all time best RB in NFL history?
Donger: Robert Edwards, Montreal Alluettes.

Jim Jones
11-28-2005, 05:03 PM
I'm only going to go off of guys I've seen (which means no Jim Brown or Gale Sayers)

Walter Payton
Emmitt Smith
Barry Sanders
Bo Jackson
Marshall Faulk

.. uhh.. Reggie Bush!

EDIT: damnit someone already used the Reggie Bush joke.

Skip Towne
11-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Hahahahaha

Rain Man
11-28-2005, 05:15 PM

ROFL

Valiant
11-28-2005, 05:24 PM
its gotta be barry...simply on this...he led the lions THE FREAKEN LIONS to the playoffs and the fact that he never ever had anything that resembled an offensive line..he had to carry that whole team and franchise on his back

Sorry, but Barry did not make his team better around him.. Gale Sayers is the best of the bunch, then I would say Jim Brown.. But I have the feeling in about six years it will be LT2, he makes the team better then what they are...

jspchief
11-28-2005, 05:36 PM
But somehow, I never thought "Damn, those Lions with that guy are just gonna be an unstoppable force this year."I've never felt that way about any runningback. It's not a position that makes a team championship caliber.

ChiefsFanatic
11-28-2005, 06:07 PM
Define "best".

Most skills? Best results? Combination of both?

Clearly Bo Jackson had the most talent of any RB to ever play the game. Despite his Raider heritage, it's a shame we never got to see what he could accomplish over 16 games and 10 seasons.

I think Barry Sanders is the best to ever play. Just my opinion.

However, if he had played only football and stayed relatively injury free, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he would have been the best ever.

Two TD runs of over 90 yards. They always play one on ESPN Classic. They talk to the defensive back, who was 35 yards downfield [but on the opposite hatchmark] and he still can't believe he could not beat Bo to the sideline. He had 35 yards to create an angle, and still could not cut him off.

Besides Deion, he is the fastest football player I have ever seen.

Fishpicker
11-28-2005, 06:17 PM
barry sanders accomplished the most with the least amount of talent around him. he holds the record for most plays losing yardage. If he were to run behind a somewhat reliable offensive line, he would have broken near every record.

If I had to pick from players that are curently active, my vote would go towards Shaun Alexander, LT would be a close second. Faulk would be 3rd by default

Thig Lyfe
11-28-2005, 07:17 PM
Omar Easy.