PDA

View Full Version : Do you think Detroit will release or trade a decent WR next off season?

Kylo Ren
11-28-2005, 02:45 PM
Look at the WRs that they have:

Mike Williams - 1st rounder (10th overall pick) in '05
Roy Williams - 1st rounder (7th overall pick) in '04
Charles Rogers - 1st rounder (2nd overall pick) in '03
Troy Edwards - 1st rounder (13th overall pick) in '99
Kevin Johnson - 2nd rounder (32nd overall pick) in '99

You would think that Detroit has a lot of money tied up in their WR corps. With a new coach coming in, he may want to dump some WRs to clear some cap space. I think they might cut a WR or two. Maybe they would trade a WR or two. Most of these WRs have had dissappointing careers so far even though they were all highly talented college players. But, as the saying goes, a change of scenery can do wonders. Maybe, with the KC offensive line, running game and Trent Green as QB, one of these guys could turn their career around in KC. We all know that WR will have to be a top priority next year. I wonder if Detroit may be a place to look.

CoMoChief
11-28-2005, 02:46 PM
I would love to have Roy Williams but it wont happen.

Phobia
11-28-2005, 02:47 PM
Rod Smith told me draft position doesn't matter any longer the moment you sign that first contract.

Mecca
11-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Well Kevin Johnson and Troy Edwards are on cheap 1 year deals. If they were going to get rid of one to save money, it would be Charles Rogers. He's the one that's been the least productive and he's also been suspended for using drugs.

tk13
11-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Heck, after watching them the other day, the only one I'd want is that Scotty Vines. He looked better than all of them... which is why he starts I guess.

chagrin
11-28-2005, 02:51 PM
Troy Edwards and Kevin Johnson don't tie up anything next year, but I would think that they do get rid of one of those guys. If'n they had even a halfway decent QB there wouldn't be enough passes thrown to each WR before they start losing patience. Part of the "behind the scenes" arguing is the number of passes thrown to each WR.

Saul Good
11-28-2005, 02:52 PM
They're suing Rogers. I don't think he'll be a Lion for long.

chagrin
11-28-2005, 02:59 PM
They're suing Rogers. I don't think he'll be a Lion for long.

no shit? Other than being injured all the time, too skinny and a pot head, what for? I didn't hear this?

JBucc
11-28-2005, 03:58 PM
Roy Williams is the only one worth shit and he's injured too much, plus they wouldn't give him up. Mike Williams is too slow, what's his face is a bust and the others aren't #1's which is what we need.

Molitoth
11-28-2005, 04:00 PM
I'd want Roy Williams. Mike would be ok. We can stay the hell away from Rogers though.

Troy1220
11-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Charles Rogers = Snoop Minnus

sedated
11-28-2005, 04:26 PM
Rogers is gone for sure.
RWilliams is a stud - no chance
MWilliams is a rook - no chance
The other two don't make sh!t - anything is possible.

Ralphy Boy
11-28-2005, 04:35 PM
Charles Rogers is the most talented WR on the roster next only to RW who is a freak and will be the next TO in the attitude area as well.

Rogers will be cheap & will sign an incentive laden contract and your damn right we should look at him. Take a look at Michael Irvin, Joe Horn, Chad Johnson, Jimmy Smith, Javon Walker, Isaac Bruce and tell me that anyone who ever had off the field problems or injury issues couldn't help you win a championship.

Guys like him are the ones you take flyers on because eventually they realize that they may not get another chance and then they become what they were touted to be in the beginning. Changes of scenery do wonders. Take a look at EK & Priest for proof of that.

the Talking Can
11-28-2005, 04:37 PM
Still can't believe they used 3 consecutive top 10 picks on WRs.

So farking dumb.

Ralphy Boy
11-28-2005, 05:11 PM
Still can't believe they used 3 consecutive top 10 picks on WRs.

So farking dumb.

I've said this a few times, but I don't think it was a mistake to draft the way they did. Not that Charles Rogers wasn't a mistake in hindsight, but the way it unfolded, I can't fault them. The fact is they are now suing Rogers because he has had drug issues. Given that the potheaded little bitch can't stay healthy, you could make an argument that they realized early that he was a mistake and weren't going to pass up on an opportunity to take the best athlete available two years later.

If they win their grieveance they'll cut his ass for sure and I'd be the first in line to give that lil bitch a second chance...because that is what you do for the beautiful & talented people in this world. You hold them up so high that if you don't catch them when they fall, they land on you and break your ass. It's my way of supporting the NFL Welfare Program.

Baby Lee
11-28-2005, 05:19 PM
Guys like him are the ones you take flyers on because eventually they realize that they may not get another chance and then they become what they were touted to be in the beginning. Changes of scenery do wonders. Take a look at EK & Priest for proof of that.
If you're making a point on Priest solely on 'change of scenery' grounds, IK. But Priest was not a bust, and didn't need a wake-up call. He needed out of a place that didn't appreciate what he contributed.

jspchief
11-28-2005, 05:26 PM
Besides being a doper, Charles Rogers breaks collarbones like my great grandma breaks hips.

Dude misses the better part of his first two seasons with injuries, then prepares himself for his third season by smoking pot? No f*cking thank you.

Ralphy Boy
11-28-2005, 05:32 PM
If you're making a point on Priest solely on 'change of scenery' grounds, IK. But Priest was not a bust, and didn't need a wake-up call. He needed out of a place that didn't appreciate what he contributed.

I was trying to make two points here. One being that Priest's college career wasn't what it could have been because of injury, thus he wasn't drafted & went to a team that didn't utilize him as well as they could yet he still had a 1,000 yard season with them. He came here and became an instant star. He didn't fit the offense in Baltimore and sometimes players have to be in the right system to fulfill their potential. If Baltimore hadn't taken a flyer on a guy who'd been injured maybe nobody would have.

Second, you take a flyer on a guy like Rogers because he could perform at a level equal to what Kennison has here, you just never know. The talent is there. Kennison was highly regarded coming out of college, had a good season with the Rams but still got traded away for whatever reason, bounced around the league and now he's our best wide receiver. He was a bust because he ultimately didn't live up to the expectation of being a first round pick with the team that drafted him.

the Talking Can
11-28-2005, 06:10 PM
I've said this a few times, but I don't think it was a mistake to draft the way they did. Not that Charles Rogers wasn't a mistake in hindsight, but the way it unfolded, I can't fault them. The fact is they are now suing Rogers because he has had drug issues. Given that the potheaded little bitch can't stay healthy, you could make an argument that they realized early that he was a mistake and weren't going to pass up on an opportunity to take the best athlete available two years later.

If they win their grieveance they'll cut his ass for sure and I'd be the first in line to give that lil bitch a second chance...because that is what you do for the beautiful & talented people in this world. You hold them up so high that if you don't catch them when they fall, they land on you and break your ass. It's my way of supporting the NFL Welfare Program.

but you don't build a team around WRs...you build it around the DL and OL....WR is a luxury and a good OL can make decent WRs look good, just look at us..

Ralphy Boy
11-28-2005, 06:15 PM
but you don't build a team around WRs...you build it around the DL and OL....WR is a luxury and a good OL can make decent WRs look good, just look at us..

Which is exactly why I want us to draft a left tackle. I don't want us to draft a WR, I want to go bargain shopping for one and considering he is the most talented & likely to be available...

Spicy McHaggis
11-28-2005, 10:58 PM
Charles Rogers breaks collarbones like my great grandma breaks hips.

not anymore. That kids got more titanium in his neck than an F-22 Raptor.

If we could get him on the cheap he's worth a look, IMO.

Ralphy Boy
12-05-2005, 04:16 PM
I started to post the other day (ran out of time and didn't) that I think we should take a run at a couple of Lions in the offseason, remembering this thread I thought I'd dig it up rather than start a new one.

I already mentioned Charles Rogers, but also Kalimba Edwards would be worth looking at. Going into the weekend he had 7 sacks as a backup pass rusher. We need a monster pass rusher to trot in on third downs. Hicks is good against the run, but our pass defense is still lacking and that is mainly the pressure we are putting on the QB. I've got to think that with all of the problems they've had there, some guys are just going to want out like Takeo Spikes did out of Cincy.

and also Joey Harrington. Don't kill me, I just think he's worth looking at.

ct
12-05-2005, 04:28 PM
Charles Rogers is a goner. And no, I'm not interested.

I would, however, take a shot on Joey Harrington. I'm not convinced this guy is a bust...yet.