PDA

View Full Version : Latest playoff situation

cdcox
11-28-2005, 11:36 PM
With the new power rankings and the Steelers loss tonight, our playoff odds have climbed to 33%. It starting to look more and more like one of our fellow contenders for a wild card will crumble. I'm as much worried about SD as anyone right now. Screen shots to follow...

cdcox
11-28-2005, 11:37 PM
AFC picture:

CosmicPal
11-28-2005, 11:39 PM
I like our chances better now that Jacksonville is without Leftwich. Not sure if and when Fred Taylor's coming back.

We still control our own destiny by beating Denver, SD, and Cincy.

cdcox
11-28-2005, 11:40 PM
Chiefs win distribution in grey, playoff qualification in red. 10-6 is good enough about half the time. 11-5 is pretty solid.

beer bacon
11-28-2005, 11:43 PM
I am feeling pretty good after this weekend.

Everyone is assuming that Jax is going to just cakewalk into the playoffs because the rest of their schedule is so easy, but I am not sure. They haven't really blown anyone out of the water this year. A few more miscues on offense with Leftwich out could lead to some more losses.

The Steelers didn't look very sharp tonight, and now they have to play the Bengals and the Bears. They could lose both of those.

I am also worried about the Chargers. Luckily, the rest of their schedule is almost as hard as ours. Plus we get to play both the Chargers and the Bengals at home.

cdcox
I like our chances better now that Jacksonville is without Leftwich. Not sure if and when Fred Taylor's coming back.

Actually we have to win out to control our destiny. But I agree, beating the AFC teams at home is the key to playoff land. Then splitting the road games with the NFC teams would almost certainly get us in. Still a very, very tough road.

recxjake
I think it can be summed up by saying win as many games as possible.... There is a good chance we will be playig Cincy 2 weeks in a row

cdcox
11-28-2005, 11:45 PM
I am feeling pretty good after this weekend.

Everyone is assuming that Jax is going to just cakewalk into the playoffs because the rest of their schedule is so easy, but I am not sure. They haven't really blown anyone out of the water this year. A few more miscues on offense with Leftwich out could lead to some more losses.

The Steelers didn't look very sharp tonight, and now they have to play the Bengals and the Bears. They could lose both of those.

I am also worried about the Chargers. Luckily, the rest of their schedule is almost as hard as ours. Plus we get to play both the Chargers and the Bengals at home.

The resurgent Vikings on the road will not make a cakewalk for the Steelers either.

I really like that we get both SD and Cinn at home, where we can hang a loss on them. If we don't make it, we only have ourselves to blame. Opportunity is here.

cdcox
11-28-2005, 11:47 PM
I think it can be summed up by saying win as many games as possible.... There is a good chance we will be playig Cincy 2 weeks in a row

Yep. Good call on the back-to-back Bengals games.

recxjake
11-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Yep. Good call on the back-to-back Bengals games.

I could see Cincy giving us the last game of the year if it means a better match up for them in the playoffs

KCJake
11-28-2005, 11:53 PM
Yes, I totally agree guys. It's a tough road, but I think the Chiefs might do it.

"We still control our own destiny by beating Denver, SD, and Cincy."

That's the key right there.

hypersensitiveZO6
11-29-2005, 12:00 AM
I think it's going to take an 11-5 season for us to make the playoffs.

cdcox
11-29-2005, 12:04 AM
I think it's going to take an 11-5 season for us to make the playoffs.

You'd be right about half the time.

Deberg_1990
11-29-2005, 12:08 AM
Gun needs to go back and watch the tapes of 99-2000 when he went 4-0 against Shanny. Lets get that Mojo back!!

KCJake
11-29-2005, 12:16 AM
Gun needs to go back and watch the tapes of 99-2000 when he went 4-0 against Shanny. Lets get that Mojo back!!
We really need to get an early lead. We can't let the Bronco's get out to a 10-0 or 14-0 lead. Also, TD's in the red-zone!!!!

tk13
11-29-2005, 12:43 AM
I'm surprised Cincy has that much higher odds of winning the North over Pittsburgh.

philfree
11-29-2005, 02:09 AM
So if we(the Chiefs) win out and the Donks lose to the Chawgas do we win the division?

PhilFree:arrow:

Miles
11-29-2005, 02:15 AM

Taylor was supposedly healty last week but held out because they didn't want to rush him back after not practicing till late last week. Soulds like he will be back at full strenght this week.

I thought our chances with them not having Leftwich would be nice but 4 of the last 5 of their games are against such turds it probably won't matter. Hopefully the Browns will somehow give them some trouble.

KcKing
11-29-2005, 06:21 AM
So if we(the Chiefs) win out and the Donks lose to the Chawgas do we win the division?

PhilFree:arrow:

Could go either way... If that happens, we would tie in...

1.Overall W/L
2.Head to Head
3.Division Record
4.W/L Record against common teams
and
5.Conference Record...

It'd come down to "Strength of Victory"... So there would be no telling until after the season was over...

KC Jones
11-29-2005, 07:08 AM
Jacksonville has a much easier schedule down the stretch.

Jacksonville:
Cleveland (win)
Indianapolis (loss)
San Francisco (win)
at Houston (win)
Tennessee (win)

To me it looks like we're competing with Pittsburgh/Cinci and the Chargers for that last WC spot. Who knows, perhaps the Donks will take a dive and the AFCW will be wide open again? Stil, you gott like Jacksonville's odds of winning 4 of their last 5 regardless of whose under center. Other than Indy they finish the season against patsy's.

phxchief
11-29-2005, 07:24 AM
Cleveland is a tough type of team, and Indy almost certainly will be a loss. That's 11-5 if you give them the remaining 3 games. We'd then need to check out common opponents and the other tie-breakers if we were to win 4 of 5.

Extra Point
11-29-2005, 07:58 AM

Jacksonville:
Cleveland (win)
Indianapolis (loss)
San Francisco (win)
at Houston (win)
Tennessee (win)

To me it looks like we're competing with Pittsburgh/Cinci and the Chargers for that last WC spot. Who knows, perhaps the Donks will take a dive and the AFCW will be wide open again? Stil, you gott like Jacksonville's odds of winning 4 of their last 5 regardless of whose under center. Other than Indy they finish the season against patsy's.
AGREED!!!

The one thing you don't want, is to have the playoff berth chances in some other team's hands, but that's as good as it's going to get, IMHO.

cdcox
11-29-2005, 08:25 AM
Could go either way... If that happens, we would tie in...

1.Overall W/L
2.Head to Head
3.Division Record
4.W/L Record against common teams
and
5.Conference Record...

It'd come down to "Strength of Victory"... So there would be no telling until after the season was over...

Good work! Differential victories for the two teams would break down like this:

Teams the Chiefs beat that Devener didn't: Cinn, Giants, Miami and Texans victories so far:20

Teams the Denver beat that KC didn't: Buffalo, Phil, Jacksonville, Balt victories so far: 20

We have 2 playoff contenders in our group, compared to one for Denver, but get screwed by the Texans.

cdcox
11-29-2005, 08:45 AM
Fear San Diego. The have tiebreaker krypotonite on us, at least for 11-5 senarios. The other thing is that in playoff senarios that are favorable to KC, both Indy and Denver could have their positions wrapped up and resting their starters.

For example if we beat Denver and Indy wins their next two games, Indy has clinched HFA. Dungy has already said he would rest his starters if they clinche early and let 16-0 be damned.

If we beat Denver and SD, Denver wins the rest of there games, and we lose one of the NFC road games they will have clinched the division by the last game of the seaon against SD. Hopefully they will still have some competition from Cincinnatti or (less likely) Pittsburgh for the first round bye.

SD scares me.

htismaqe
11-29-2005, 09:11 AM

Jacksonville:
Cleveland (win)
Indianapolis (loss)
San Francisco (win)
at Houston (win)
Tennessee (win)

Jacksonville has an easy schedule on paper.

But then factor in that two of those games are division games and that they BARELY won the first meetings - they beat the Texans by 7 and the Titans by just 3.

Finally, Leftwich is injured and now it looks like he'll miss the rest of the season (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67064&type=InsideSlant) and Fred Taylor is also gimpy again.

donkhater
11-29-2005, 09:49 AM
Jacksonville has an easy schedule on paper.

But then factor in that two of those games are division games and that they BARELY won the first meetings - they beat the Texans by 7 and the Titans by just 3.

Finally, Leftwich is injured and now it looks like he'll miss the rest of the season (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/teamReport?categoryId=67064&type=InsideSlant) and Fred Taylor is also gimpy again.
Yep. In addition to the Indy game, It wouldn't surprise me to see them struggle at Cleveland and at Houston. For some reason the Texans play them really tough.

Mr. Laz
11-29-2005, 10:00 AM
it's gets even better next week when cincy plays pittsburgh.

we MUST keep winning though

cool_brees
11-29-2005, 11:16 AM
If SD wins next week against Oakland (which should happen) then and they will control their destiny as far as the wild card goes as the loser of the Steeler/Bengal game will fall to the seventh spot. Of course SD has the difficult task of facing Indy two weeks later and that sets up the showdown between SD and KC.

If KC beats Denver this week, that opens things up for both teams. Here's hoping KC makes things interesting for the divison title.

Sybil
11-29-2005, 11:17 AM
If we beat the Donkos this weekend, things are looking up if we can just take care of business the rest of the way.

vailpass
11-29-2005, 11:19 AM
5 more days to dream Chiefs fans, live it up.
Then the rebuilding starts (again).

chiefz
11-29-2005, 11:30 AM
With the new power rankings and the Steelers loss tonight, our playoff odds have climbed to 33%. It starting to look more and more like one of our fellow contenders for a wild card will crumble. I'm as much worried about SD as anyone right now. Screen shots to follow...

You might want to fix your license agreement:

Publish the predictions with others without acknowledging the web site www.nfl-forecast.come

cdcox
11-29-2005, 01:20 PM
You might want to fix your license agreement:

[/url]

Thanks. That's what I get for being too lazy to include the HTML tags to format the thing properly.

Mile High Mania
11-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Working through all these numbers with 5 games left will drive you mad... Denver is a worst case 11 win team with losses to KC/SD and possibly one b/t Oak/Buf/Balt... but, I just can't see this Denver team losing any of those 3 games, even at Buffalo.. I'm confident in saying that - best case, they are a 12 win team.

I really doubt that KC can pull off 5 straight in order to push it to tiebreakers. I think 4-1 would be somewhat more realistic, but that's only 11 wins and you would need Denver to go 2-3 over the next 5 and I just don't see that happening.

BigChiefFan
11-29-2005, 03:05 PM
Working through all these numbers with 5 games left will drive you mad... Denver is a worst case 11 win team with losses to KC/SD and possibly one b/t Oak/Buf/Balt... but, I just can't see this Denver team losing any of those 3 games, even at Buffalo.. I'm confident in saying that - best case, they are a 12 win team.

I really doubt that KC can pull off 5 straight in order to push it to tiebreakers. I think 4-1 would be somewhat more realistic, but that's only 11 wins and you would need Denver to go 2-3 over the next 5 and I just don't see that happening.
We went 11-0, with a shit defense, we can easily win 7 or 8 in a row.

Mr. Laz
11-29-2005, 03:08 PM
we can easily win 7 or 8 in a row.
let's not get carried away now

Mile High Mania
11-29-2005, 03:10 PM
We went 11-0, with a shit defense, we can easily win 7 or 8 in a row.

Well, sure... 7-4 through 11 ... why not 8 out of 8. And, when KC went 11-0 a while back, the offense was much more prolific and that's not really the case now.

BigChiefFan
11-29-2005, 03:15 PM
I'm not saying it's a probability, but I think the team is coming on at the right time. I also see us getting alot healthier. Add to that, the confidence we will have once we beat some of these teams and I like our chances. The Broncos come back down to reality after this week.

ct
11-29-2005, 04:44 PM
I love playing out the scenarios as much as anybody, but it's this week that matters...nutin else.

WE MUST BEAT DENVER!!!

Gary
11-29-2005, 06:00 PM
I love playing out the scenarios as much as anybody, but it's this week that matters...nutin else.

WE MUST BEAT DENVER!!!

Well said! We need to come out swinging for the fences in this game & break their will early(like last year in Arrowhead when Dante ran one back on the first play).

chrisdel
11-29-2005, 06:08 PM
We can get in as a wild card, but I think Denver's got the division. Even if we win the rest of our home games (and that's a big if), we'll probably lose one or both of the road games at NY or Dallas. I don't see Denver losing more than two either.

In some ways, I think we have to pull for Pittsburgh this week and hope the Steelers win the division. If we beat Cincy, we got the tiebreaker.

Coach
11-29-2005, 06:09 PM
One thing to consider is that if Kansas City beats the Broncos, and moves up to 8-4, the Chiefs can move into a WC spot, if Oakland beats Sandy Eggo due to a better conference record.

CosmicPal
11-29-2005, 06:11 PM
5 more days to dream Chiefs fans, live it up.
Then the rebuilding starts (again).

Shouldn't you be stranded on I-70 somewhere

OldTownChief
11-29-2005, 06:45 PM
We went 11-0, with a shit defense

When?