PDA

View Full Version : Next HC not the issue, who is going to be our next OC?

unlurking
11-29-2005, 11:31 AM
There have been threads for quite sometime debating HC position and whether or not it will go to AS. Over the last few months, it seems to be split pretty well as to whether he should be offered the job. I would say there is a 50/50 shot of him getting it. I would say there is a 99/01 shot that he DOES NOT remain as the OC, if not offered the HC job.

In that vein, I'm wondering who people are looking at for a replacement for Al at the OC position. I'm guessing many people may have two choices for OC (based on whether or not Al becomes HC), but I'd like to hear peoples thoughts on this.

Whether we bring in fresh blood for HC or not is debatable, but it seems like fresh blood at the OC position is almost guaranteed.

Thoughts?

cmh6476
11-29-2005, 11:31 AM
jimmy raye :D

Goapics1
11-29-2005, 11:35 AM
Gerry DiNardo?

Crush
jimmy raye :D

"Run, run, incomplete pass, punt" offense ROFL

Extra Point
Norv Turner. Davis will can him, and it will be a fight between the Skins and the Chiefs for him.

ROYC75
11-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Here's a thought, Charlie Joiner ?

htismaqe
11-29-2005, 11:39 AM
I'd like to see an up-and-coming Coryell guy. Haven't really researched it alot yet.

Hydrae
11-29-2005, 11:43 AM
Here's a thought, Charlie Joiner ?

Interestingly this was my first thought for coaches here now. Would be interesting to see what he could do with all that experience playing in this offense and now coaching in it.

Logical
11-29-2005, 11:45 AM
If we go with a Coryell guy I am guessing it might be Terry Shea, he really did not get a fair shake with the Bears.

htismaqe
11-29-2005, 11:50 AM
If we go with a Coryell guy I am guessing it might be Terry Shea, he really did not get a fair shake with the Bears.

He didn't get a fair shot with the Bears. Not sure I'd want him back here though.

I did some searching and found somebody that I think fits the bill.

Clarence Shelmon is the RB coach for the Chargers. Before that he was with the Cowboys and Seahawks (coached both Smith and Warren). He's due.

Fish
11-29-2005, 11:57 AM
Clarence Shelmon is the RB coach for the Chargers. Before that he was with the Cowboys and Seahawks (coached both Smith and Warren). He's due.

Good call. I watched his progress in Dallas for quite a while. Seems to be a smart guy..... I thought he might take the OC job in Dallas quite a while back.

FringeNC
11-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Mike Martz would be my first choice, if available.

htismaqe
11-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Mike Martz would be my first choice, if available.

It's gonna be difficult to essentially demote Martz from HC to OC, unless we hire an established HC like Herm Edwards.

And you probably know how I feel about that... :D

jidar
11-29-2005, 12:33 PM
Martz will be a HC somewhere in this league.

Hoover
11-29-2005, 12:35 PM
I think if Saunders is the HC the OC will be Terry Shea. If its not Saunders as HC who knows.

Hoover
11-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Martz will be a HC somewhere in this league.
If I was Detroit I'd go after Martz, hell with their WRs, RB, and QB. I think its the best spot for both of them.

Lbedrock1
11-29-2005, 12:37 PM
let me run the offense. I have a GUN, knock their teeth out and kickem while they are down, attitude.

Sure-Oz
11-29-2005, 12:37 PM
Martz is a better OC than a HC, i wouldnt mind his as a OC, but yeah he will likely get another shot at HC.

Hammock Parties
11-29-2005, 12:39 PM
If you ask me, we need to install the west coast offense. The key components that have made our O run the last few years are as good as gone.

The one's that are staying (Gonzalez, Johnson, Wilson, Boerigter, Parker) would suit a WCO just fine.

Rausch
11-29-2005, 12:42 PM
I think if Saunders is the HC the OC will be Terry Shea. If its not Saunders as HC who knows.

I think Gun will take over and Shea will be OC.

I'm more curious who our DC will be then...

Hammock Parties
11-29-2005, 12:43 PM

Carl won't make that mistake again. And I doubt Gunther would...

HemiEd
11-29-2005, 12:45 PM

My thoughts exactly. He was a scapegoat for the media/fans up here.

greg63
11-29-2005, 12:46 PM
If you ask me, we need to install the west coast offense. The key components that have made our O run the last few years are as good as gone.

The one's that are staying (Gonzalez, Johnson, Wilson, Boerigter, Parker) would suit a WCO just fine.
I think there could be something to be said about this. After all it was the West Coast Offense that took us all the way to the AFC Championship game back in "93". Of course, it was quarterbacked by the great one.

BigChiefFan
11-29-2005, 12:48 PM
He didn't get a fair shot with the Bears. Not sure I'd want him back here though.

I did some searching and found somebody that I think fits the bill.

He's ALREADY BACK here.

TERRY SHEA
5th Year NFL Coach • 4th with Chiefs
Terry Shea returns to the Chiefs as Kansas City’s quarterbacks coach in 2005 after serving a one-year stint as Chicago’s offensive coordinator. Owning an extensive offensive resume with 35 years of coaching experience, Shea comes from the coaching family tree of Pro Football Hall of Fame coach Bill Walsh and has been particularly adept at grooming players at the quarterback position during his distinguished coaching career.

In his second tour of duty with Kansas City, Shea will be reunited with Chiefs QB Trent Green. During their first three seasons working together from 2001-03, Green developed into one of the NFL’s most consistent passers. Working under Shea’s guidance in 2003, Green earned his initial Pro Bowl berth and became just the second signal caller in franchise history to register a 4,000-yard campaign, throwing for 4,039 yards. During the course of that 2003 season Green completed 63.1% of his passes (330 of 523) with 24 TDs, while getting picked off just 12 times, numbers that translated into a stellar 92.6 rating.

During his collegiate coaching career, Shea was instrumental in the tutelage of numerous signal-callers who went on to enjoy productive NFL careers. Shea’s most recent collegiate pupils playing in the NFL are three-time Pro Bowl QB Jeff Garcia, who played for Shea at San Jose State in ‘90-91 and Detroit’s Mike McMahon, who played for Shea during his tenure at Rutgers.

In total, Shea owns seven seasons of experience as a collegiate head coach. He came to Kansas City in 2001 after spending five years (’96-00) as the head coach at Rutgers University. He also served as offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach for the Scarlet Knights. In ‘98, he was named the Big East Coach of the Year after orchestrating the second-biggest one-year turnaround in NCAA Division I history by taking a team which finished 0-11 in ‘97 and guidng them to a 5-6 mark just a year later.

Prior to a one-year stint with the CFL’s British Columbia Lions in ‘95, Shea spent three seasons (’92-94) as the associate head coach and offensive coordinator under head coach Bill Walsh at Stanford. In Shea’s initial season with the Cardinal, Stanford won its first conference title since ‘71 and earned a berth in the ‘93 Blockbuster Bowl against Penn State. The Cardinal would go on to conclude the year with a 10-3 mark, the first 10-win season the institution had seen since ‘40, thanks in large part to Shea’s offensive unit which produced a 24-3 postseason victory over the Nittany Lions.

Shea joined the Cardinal after his two-year head coaching stint at San Jose State from ‘90-91 where he compiled a 15-6-2 record and led the school to a pair of Big West titles. In his initial year as head coach at San Jose State in ‘90, he guided the team to a 9-2-1 record and was named Pro Football Weekly’s “National Coach of the Year.” Shea is part of a distinguished list of Chiefs personnel with connections to San Jose State, where head coach Dick Vermeil played QB from ‘56-58, V.P. of Football Operations/Player Personnel Lynn Stiles served as head coach from ‘76-78, assistant head coach/offensive coordinator Al Saunders played wide receiver and defensive back from ‘66-69 and running backs coach James Saxon played there from ‘84-87.

Shea had previously served as offensive coordinator at San Jose State from ‘84-86. In ‘86, his Spartan offense led the nation in both total offense and passing offense. Between his stints at San Jose State, he spent three years (’87-89) as the offensive coordinator at the University of California under head coach Bruce Snyder.

The San Mateo, California native began his NCAA Division I coaching career at Utah State and coached the secondary, special teams, quarterbacks and receivers during his tenure with that team from ‘76-83. Two of his star QBs at Utah State were Eric Hipple and Bob Gagliano who each went on to pursue NFL playing careers. Shea joined Utah State after a six-year stint at Mt. Hood Community College in Gresham, Oregon from ‘70-75, where he coached the passing game, the secondary and special teams.

Shea served as a college quarterback at the University of Oregon from ‘65-67. Following his graduation, he inaugurated his coaching career with a two-year tour of duty (’68-69) as a graduate assistant for the Ducks. He is also credited with authoring “The Quarterback” and producing an instructional video, “The Making of a Quarterback.”

Mr. Laz
11-29-2005, 12:50 PM
Next HC not the issue, who is going to be our next OC?
since our next HC will decide who our next OC is .... :shrug:

you can't even really start talking OC/DC or even personal until the HC is decided.

BigMeatballDave
11-29-2005, 01:20 PM

The one's that are staying (Gonzalez, Johnson, Wilson, Boerigter, Parker) would suit a WCO just fine.Not a bad idea...

unlurking
11-29-2005, 02:00 PM
I guess more along the lines of continuity with the offensive players we will have remaining next year, the OC has more input and day-to-day dealings with how the offense is run. What happens to our offense next year, I believe will depend more on who the OC is, then who the HC is. All the Saunders for HC threads over the last few months got me thinking about this.

Terry Shea is an interesting thought. I really hadn't thought about anyone local, didn't realize he was back as QB coach.

tk13
11-29-2005, 02:03 PM
Whatever happens, I don't wanna lose Solari...

Logical
11-29-2005, 02:09 PM

The one's that are staying (Gonzalez, Johnson, Wilson, Boerigter, Parker) would suit a WCO just fine.There is some truth to that, however I don't think Trent fits the WCO well at all also Parker is not a prototype WCO WR. Who would you want QB the offense if we go WC?

Mr. Laz
11-29-2005, 02:57 PM
Whatever happens, I don't wanna lose Solari...
or James Saxon

FringeNC
11-29-2005, 04:12 PM

The West Coast offense is dead, and has been for years. When is the last time a WCO team led the league in offense? That is the big reason Mooch failed in Detroit. Martz or Saunders/Vermeil would have that team scoring tons of points. The WCO just doesn't work any more. Short passes are fine, but they can't form the foundation of an offense anymore.

Hammock Parties
11-29-2005, 04:21 PM
The West Coast offense is dead, and has been for years. When is the last time a WCO team led the league in offense?

Uh are you kidding me? Seattle leads the league in offense right now, and they run the west coast offense.

The WCO isn't even CLOSE to dead. TONS of teams run it.

htismaqe
11-29-2005, 04:32 PM
The West Coast offense is dead, and has been for years. When is the last time a WCO team led the league in offense? That is the big reason Mooch failed in Detroit. Martz or Saunders/Vermeil would have that team scoring tons of points. The WCO just doesn't work any more. Short passes are fine, but they can't form the foundation of an offense anymore.

The WCO is NOT dead, not by a long shot. Philly has had one of the top offenses in the league running the WCO.

The problem I have with the WCO is that we actually DON'T have the personnel for it. Larry Johnson isn't the right fit for a WCO and we have nothing at WR. Actually Priest Holmes would have probably been pretty good in the WCO.

htismaqe
11-29-2005, 04:33 PM
He's ALREADY BACK here.

I meant I don't want him back here as OC.

Hammock Parties
11-29-2005, 04:41 PM
The problem I have with the WCO is that we actually DON'T have the personnel for it. Larry Johnson isn't the right fit for a WCO and we have nothing at WR.

How do you figure? I see LJ as another Shaun Alexander. Tony G is the prototype WCO TE.

ROYC75
11-29-2005, 10:35 PM

Oh Good Grief, Air Gun, clip # 2 ?