PDA

View Full Version : Royals Rumor

ken ott
11-30-2005, 12:48 PM
I just read that the Royals may have offered Jones a 4 year deal for 24 Mil. Thoughts?

Dunit35
11-30-2005, 12:48 PM
Jones who?

TRing
11-30-2005, 12:55 PM
let me reiterate...... Jones who?

Sully
11-30-2005, 12:56 PM
I assume Jacque Jones, since they targeted him.
Not bad, I kinda like the guy.

Dartgod
11-30-2005, 12:57 PM
Jacque Jones?
Andruw Jones?
Chipper Jones?

sedated
11-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Jacque Jones sucks.

I hope that rumor is FALSE.

Dunit35
11-30-2005, 12:58 PM
Must be that Jacque Jones. The other Jones wouldnt leave their team.

TRing
11-30-2005, 12:59 PM
Yep he's had a couple of down years but still an improvement.

ken ott
11-30-2005, 01:00 PM
Sorry. Yes Jacque Jones.

siberian khatru
11-30-2005, 01:00 PM
4 years for a guy who turns 31 in April? He's a pretty good defensive OF, mediocre hitter -- decent pop, some speed, career OBP of .327, though.

He's one of the better OFers on the market -- but the market is extremely weak this year. So we're looking at committing 4 years of salary for a middling guy who's in his 30s. If I'm gonna acquire a player with his age and skills, I'd rather it be for 1-2 years so he becomes a placeholder until a younger player is developed.

I realize that the market dictates that Jones' price is 4 for 24. But as I said a few weeks ago, I'd rather Allard hold on to that money, maybe plow it into signing draft picks, then throw it at a very weak FA market.

Mark M
11-30-2005, 01:02 PM
While Jacque is definitely an upgrade, I keep wondering ...

HOW ABOUT SOME PITCHING?!

No wonder the Royals continue to suck.

MM
~~:banghead:

cmh6476
11-30-2005, 01:10 PM
wtf ever happenned to elmer dressens? :shrug:

FringeNC
11-30-2005, 01:16 PM
4 years for a guy who turns 31 in April? He's a pretty good defensive OF, mediocre hitter -- decent pop, some speed, career OBP of .327, though.

He's one of the better OFers on the market -- but the market is extremely weak this year. So we're looking at committing 4 years of salary for a middling guy who's in his 30s. If I'm gonna acquire a player with his age and skills, I'd rather it be for 1-2 years so he becomes a placeholder until a younger player is developed.

I realize that the market dictates that Jones' price is 4 for 24. But as I said a few weeks ago, I'd rather Allard hold on to that money, maybe plow it into signing draft picks, then throw it at a very weak FA market.

While Allard has learned something from reading Moneyball, he (or perhaps David Glass won't let him) still doesn't understand the concept of allocating payroll to above-average players in years of the talent cycle that could actually help the Royals contend. Why in the hell would you throw money at Jones if you are a non-competitive team like the Royals will be next year? Save it for when it matters!

Archie F. Swin
11-30-2005, 01:21 PM
Interesting mailbag (http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20051128&content_id=1272719&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kc) yesterday. New unis? Paul Byrd coming back? :hmmm:

siberian khatru
11-30-2005, 01:24 PM
I'm sick of new uniforms every couple of years -- it's a cheap marketing gimmick -- but at least, according to Kaegel, they're going to be more traditional. I just hope they're not doubleknit pullovers. That's a 1970s tradition I could do without.

Sully
11-30-2005, 01:25 PM
I thought they said a few months ago they were getting rid of any black in the unis, and also doing away witht he sleeveless. I coul dbe wrong on this, but it's what I remember Flanagan writing, IIRC.

Demonpenz
11-30-2005, 01:26 PM
their bullpen is stacked.

sedated
11-30-2005, 01:39 PM
"Hint: the uniforms will have a more traditional look."

Could we see a return to powder blue?

Everyone creams their pants when they see SD's blue uni's, why can't we go for it?

Archie F. Swin
11-30-2005, 01:39 PM
When I think traditional, I think pinstripes!

c13zephyr
11-30-2005, 02:14 PM
Sign Jaque for 4 years... We can always trade him.

TRing
11-30-2005, 02:17 PM
So where can i get my Jacque Jones powder blue jersey?

tk13
11-30-2005, 02:33 PM
The market is out of control. I wouldn't waste that much money... I could see overpaying for a guy like Paul Byrd maybe.

Personally, I doubt we land Jones. We may have offered him that, but I'd be surprised if he came here... somebody will probably one-up that. Or at least offer enough money that he goes somewhere else.

gblowfish
11-30-2005, 02:38 PM
Separated at birth...

BigChiefFan
11-30-2005, 02:41 PM
Jones is a fine ball player. I don't think his age is that much of a concern, especially considering the average age of baseball players. 31-33 is hitting your prime in baseball terms.

shakesthecat
11-30-2005, 02:46 PM
Jones isn't worth that much $$$ and doesn't really improve the team much, IMO.

Paul Byrd or Matt Morris, yes.

beavis
11-30-2005, 02:47 PM

MM
As bad as the pitching was, our lineup is exponentially worse. Not to mention, the market is pretty barren as far as pitching goes this year.

Dr. Johnny Fever
11-30-2005, 02:57 PM
Two years ago at a game against the Twins, my brother and I spent the better part of the game taunting Jones. Yes, we were a little drunk... I don't usually do that kind of stuff... too much.

We were sitting in the right field cheap seats where we thought he could hear us so we had some fun with him. Matt Stairs made a diving catch on a sinking line drive in the first inning so we mostly let Jones know that he was no Matt Stairs in the field. (for anyone who doesn't know, Jones is probably a major improvement over Stairs). When Jones missed a ball over his head at one point we began yelling "Jones is a girls name." and "Stairs would have had that one." and so on.

It was fun but it figures he may now come play for my team and I'll have to like him.

Ask Jazzzlovr or Bearcat about the taunting. They may remember more than I. Being that Jazzzlovr is so quiet and it was the first time she ever met me, I'm surprised she still talks to me.

Miles
11-30-2005, 03:47 PM
Jones has always seemed like a tools player that never put it together. He is actually a rather poor hitter.

This market is pretty weak so 6 mil per wouldnt be all that bad but I dont think it would be a good move at all for KC.

chiefsfaninNC
11-30-2005, 04:08 PM
Sign Jaque for 4 years... We can always trade him.

This would be funny except it is true. They trade anyone with talent.

Hoover
11-30-2005, 04:10 PM
I heard the Cards are going after Jacque Jones.

So I'm sure unless the Royals are the High Dollar Team, you guys will not be able to sign him.

JimNasium
11-30-2005, 04:11 PM
I'm not a fan of hockey.

Sure-Oz
11-30-2005, 06:55 PM
sign him just so he doesnt hit his annual 10 hrs against us

Calcountry
11-30-2005, 07:51 PM
I'm not a fan of hockey.There you go again, trying to hijack a thread. ROFL

petegz28
11-30-2005, 08:30 PM

MM

Honestly we don't need any pitching. The youngsters did good lst year except Greinke who just went to shit.

Bautista will be back. I think our pitching is actually the most solid it's been in a long time.

We need a catcher and 2nd basemen and right fielder with an arm.

jettio
11-30-2005, 09:00 PM
sign him just so he doesnt hit his annual 10 hrs against us

no kidding.

He has had a lot of good games against the Royals.

chiefsfan987
11-30-2005, 09:40 PM

MM

The pitching for KC wouldn't be near as bad as it was if it had any defense playing behind it whatsoever.

tk13
12-01-2005, 02:39 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/13297419.htm

Byrd won’t come cheap for Royals
Pitcher’s price tag may top $20 million

By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

The bullish free-agent market hasn’t yet squashed the Royals’ quest to reacquire right-hander Paul Byrd — even though the price now seems certain to top $21.375 million over three years.

That is what Oakland shelled out earlier this week to sign right-hander Esteban Loaiza.

“Put it this way,” Royals general manager Allard Baird said, “we’ll have to (go into that range) if we want the player. That’s the market.”

And Baird makes it clear that, for now at least, the Royals are still pursuing Byrd, who was 12-11 last season with a 3.74 ERA in 31 starts for the Los Angeles Angels.

Byrd enjoyed the best season of his 10-year career when he was 17-11 for the Royals in 2002, but he turns 35 on Saturday and missed significant time in recent seasons because of arm injuries.

Even so, Byrd is drawing strong interest from the Angels, Orioles, Rangers and Indians in addition to the Royals. The bidding is just starting and, to date, is believed to exceed $16 million for two seasons.

The Royals, who pursued Loaiza, also continue to aim for Matt Morris, Kenny Rogers, Joe Mays, Scott Elarton and Shawn Estes in their efforts to add at least one veteran to their rotation.

The Royals show no interest in Javier Vazquez, whom Arizona is attempting to trade.

Interest in Jones

Yes, the Royals are interested in free-agent outfielder Jacque Jones, who spent much of the last seven years tormenting them while playing for the Minnesota Twins.

But not for $24 million over four years, as reported Wednesday in the St. Paul Pioneer Press. The Royals have offers out to six free agents but none, as yet, for more than three years in duration.

The Royals are believed to have made a two-year offer to Jones, who batted .249 last season with 23 homers and 73 RBIs in 142 games.

Jones, 30, is also drawing interest from the Mariners, Cardinals and Padres.

The Royals originally had Brian Giles as their top target among free-agent outfielders but switched to Reggie Sanders once Giles’ price soared beyond their financial means. They have a two-year offer out to Sanders, who is drawing attention from the Cardinals, Twins and Braves.

Others on the Royals’ list include Jeromy Burnitz, Juan Encarnacion and Preston Wilson.

Rule 5 possibilities

The Royals have the first pick in the upcoming Rule 5 draft but don’t see a hidden gem like left-hander Andrew Sisco, whom they grabbed last year with the second pick.

“Right now,” Baird admitted, “I haven’t come up with a player I can tell you we definitely want. I may take a player and trade him. I may sell the pick. Or I may make a selection.”

The Rule 5 draft is a week from today at the winter meetings in Dallas. A team pays $50,000 for any player taken in the draft but must keep him on the major-league roster for all of next season or offer him back to his former club for $25,000.

Sisco was languishing in the Cubs’ organization when picked a year ago. He went 2-5 with a 3.11 ERA in 67 appearances.

Hot Stove bits

■ Second baseman Tony Graffanino could be heading to the Twins, who are willing to offer him regular duty. The Royals sought to reacquire Graffanino, whom they traded last July to Boston, but wanted him to serve in a utility role.

■ The Yankees signed former Royals catcher Kelly Stinnett to a one-year deal. That means one fewer potential competitor for the Royals in their effort to sign Todd Pratt as a backup to John Buck.

■ The Royals have no plans to offer arbitration to any of their four free agents before the Dec. 7 deadline. They have discussed minor-league contracts with pitcher Brian Anderson and infielder Joe McEwing but have not talked recently to pitcher Jose Lima or infielder Denny Hocking. Clubs can’t sign their own free agents until May 1 if they fail to offer arbitration or reach new deals by Dec. 7.

■ Baird is hoping to meet this week with free-agent reliever Jason Grimsley about a minor-league deal. Texas has also indicated interest in Grimsley.

kcfanXIII
12-01-2005, 02:55 AM

sounds about par for the course. chuck knaublach, juan gonzalez, matt stairs.
face it, the royals suck, and will continue to suck for a long time. now the chiefs don't look so bad next to that, do they?

tk13
12-01-2005, 03:00 AM
sounds about par for the course. chuck knaublach, juan gonzalez, matt stairs.
face it, the royals suck, and will continue to suck for a long time. now the chiefs don't look so bad next to that, do they?
Well, really, the Royals and Chiefs have had the same number of winning seasons this decade, and the Chiefs don't play in a league where the economic system is out of whack... so I think that's debatable.

chiefsfaninNC
12-01-2005, 08:34 AM
Well, really, the Royals and Chiefs have had the same number of winning seasons this decade, and the Chiefs don't play in a league where the economic system is out of whack... so I think that's debatable.

I hope MLB finally gets smart and fixes the economics. They need a hard cap and a more equitable form of revenue sharing quickly. I am so sick of watching the Yankees and Red Sox and Braves buy their way to good teams year after year.