PDA

View Full Version : Konerko signs $60m deal with Sox

cmh6476
11-30-2005, 01:41 PM
that's the Sox, not the Sawx

11/30/2005 2:21:11 PM

Paul Konerko decided to stay with the World Series champion Chicago White Sox, agreeing Wednesday to a $60-million US, five-year contract.

The first baseman led the White Sox with 40 homers and 100 RBIs last season and was MVP of the AL championship series win over the Los Angeles Angels.

The deal also reportedly includes a limited no-trade clause.

The signing comes after he reportedly rejected a five-year, $65 million offer from the Baltimore Orioles.

The Orioles and Los Angeles Angels were believed to be the only other teams in the hunt for the 29-year old first baseman.

The Angels reportedly offered Konerko a five-year, $60 million deal. The Los Angeles times reported that he spent Tuesday in Anaheim meeting with the team's front office staff, as well as manager Mike Scioscia.

Details to follow.

siberian khatru
11-30-2005, 01:42 PM
Dammit Allard! :banghead:

Reaper16
11-30-2005, 01:45 PM
This means the Angles are likely to offer another prospect to the Kothcman for Sweeney deal they want. It would be in the Royals' interest to accept a Kotchman/Aybar for Sweeney deal. Or, much less likely, a Kotchman/Santana deal.

cmh6476
11-30-2005, 01:46 PM
This means the Angles are likely to offer another prospect to the Kothcman for Sweeney deal they want. It would be in the Royals' interest to accept a Kotchman/Aybar for Sweeney deal. Or, much less likely, a Kotchman/Santana deal.
who are these guys and what position do they play? :shrug:

Sure-Oz
11-30-2005, 01:47 PM
kotchman is 1b? and aybar i have no clue and Santana is a SP

cadmonkey
11-30-2005, 01:52 PM
that's the Sox, not the Sawx

we pronouce SOX the same way you know. We aren't completely retahded up here.

Reaper16
11-30-2005, 01:53 PM
who are these guys and what position do they play? :shrug:
Kotchman is a highly regarded 1B prospect. The Angels have wanted a straight up Kotchman for Sweeney deal since last year. Ervin (sp?) Santana is a SP prospect that played well last year. Erick Aybar is a SS prospect with a bat and speed/base stealing. I would absolutely love to see a Kotchman/Aybar deal go through.

Chiefs Pantalones
11-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Dammit Allard! :banghead:

ROFL

I don't think the Royals are even worth 60mil ROFL

Boardin Bronco
11-30-2005, 03:09 PM
Forget Erick Aybar, ask for SS Brandon Wood, the best Angels prospect period.

Reaper16
11-30-2005, 03:46 PM
Forget Erick Aybar, ask for SS Brandon Wood, the best Angels prospect period.
The Human Home Run Machine is a pipe dream. No way the Angels give him up. He's destroyed every form of pitching he's been up against, including the AFL and on the USA National team. Our own Billy Butler was nearly as impresive in the regular season, but showed fatigue in the AFL while Wood kept demolishing the ball. The Angel's know what they have in that guy.

shakesthecat
11-30-2005, 03:51 PM
Considering how much the Royals pay for Sweeney, 60 mil over 5 years for Konerko is a bargain.

Hoover
11-30-2005, 04:14 PM
I don't know, but I think Paul Konerko is a tad over rated. Sure he put up nice numbers last year, but I just don't think he is worth that kind of $$$.

That said having Thome and Konerko is a Nice DH/1st base combo.

ChiefsCountry
11-30-2005, 04:36 PM
I saw Aybar play down in Springfield this year for Anaheim's Double A team in Little Rock. He is a nice player, I could live with it.

sedated
11-30-2005, 04:40 PM
Wasn't Konerko inconsistent at best?

chefsos
11-30-2005, 04:46 PM
Perspective of an O's fan:

Apparently, Angelos is still carrying Confederate money. Nobody wants it. I don't think Konerko is Jesus with a bat, but it would be nice to get somebody, anybody, to come here. And B.J. Ryan's gone now, too.

I'm still amazed Tejada signed here.

I thought we might have a little something for the Sox and Yanks, but I guess it's the same as it ever was.

Reaper16
11-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Wasn't Konerko inconsistent at best?
Back to back 40 HR seasons, regardless of performance before those seasons, will earn you some free-agency dollars in today's MLB. Hell, BJ Ryan is now making more than Mariano fricking Rivera.
Konerko was aided by clutch hitting in the WS, no doubt.

siberian khatru
11-30-2005, 06:16 PM
That said having Thome and Konerko is a Nice DH/1st base combo.

They'll combine to hit 15 homers against the Royals next year. Just like every friggin ChiSox player does.

Boardin Bronco
12-01-2005, 02:17 AM
The Human Home Run Machine is a pipe dream. No way the Angels give him up. He's destroyed every form of pitching he's been up against, including the AFL and on the USA National team. Our own Billy Butler was nearly as impresive in the regular season, but showed fatigue in the AFL while Wood kept demolishing the ball. The Angel's know what they have in that guy.

Just before the trade deadline last season, I sat next to a Royals scout at a Rancho Cucamonga Quakes game who was scouting Brandon Wood.

c13zephyr
12-01-2005, 02:29 AM
do you think the royals have done so much damage to their reputation as a bad organization, that we won't be able to get grade B or higher FA's?

tk13
12-01-2005, 02:32 AM
Just before the trade deadline last season, I sat next to a Royals scout at a Rancho Cucamonga Quakes game who was scouting Brandon Wood.
That doesn't surprise me, but I can't imagine the Angels would give him up.