PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sims feels like a teammate again

Hammock Parties
12-01-2005, 04:39 AM
Chiefs' Sims 'feels like a teammate again'

By Rick Dean
The Capital-Journal

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The "new guy" at practice Wednesday was running around like he hadn't played all year.

Or not since the season opener, at least.

A happy and relieved Ryan Sims, a starting defensive tackle sidelined since the first series of the season with a severe foot injury, pronounced himself ready to return to action in Sunday's playoff-atmosphere game with Denver after participating in some post-practice contact work with some of the Chiefs' younger reserve linemen.

"I feel good, I feel like a teammate again," Sims said. "It was one thing to watch the game (from the sideline), but I didn't feel part of things when I came in Mondays without the bumps and bruises everyone else had."

The Chiefs will decide later in the week whether to play Sims, who during the preseason was starting to look like the run stuffer the Chiefs could use against the Broncos, the NFL's second-ranked rushing team. If he plays, Sims says, it likely will be in a reserve role.

"Right now I have to beat someone out of a job," he said. "These guys have been playing well, and I can't just step in and take someone's job. I have to show in practice that I'm a better player."

But Sims already has impressed his coaches with his determination to maintain his playing weight during the long three-month rehabilitation process. Sims, who in the past has had trouble with weight gain during periods of inactivity, came back at the same 315 pounds he carried at the time of his injury.

"All I could do for two months was to sit around and watch television, so I had to really watch what I ate and when I ate," he said. "That was the toughest part. If I had gained 10 pounds, I probably couldn't have returned this season."

Added coach Dick Vermeil: "I was very impressed. He wants to play so bad he can taste it. Sometimes when a guy has that passion to play, it covers up some pain. I didn't see him favoring the foot in any way. I'm optimistic.

"If he plays it might be 20 snaps. But he's a good enough player to be a difference-maker, especially against a good running team like Denver."

NOTE -- Center Casey Wiegmann was held out of Wednesday's practice with a sprained ankle, but Vermeil thinks he'll be able to work today.

the Talking Can
12-01-2005, 05:22 AM
even 10 to 15 snaps is a huge bonus...more rest for Dalton/Browning and more bench for Siavii...

MichaelH
12-01-2005, 06:04 AM
I hope he has the same energy and enthusiasm after 20 snaps on Sunday. I hope he is the missing link of the defensive line.

Hammock Parties
12-01-2005, 06:05 AM
I'm mildly pissed we didn't get him on the field last week. He would have been more useful this week.

the Talking Can
12-01-2005, 06:08 AM
I'm excited, we're finally going to see this D as it was intended with Sims, Surtain, Warfields all at once.

Gaz
12-01-2005, 06:40 AM
While I am keeping my expectations for this game low, I am very pleased that Sims will soon be up to speed. Our DLine needs a boost and I think Sims might be just the ticket.

xoxo~
Gaz
Poised for excitement.

Hammock Parties
12-01-2005, 06:43 AM
I'm excited, we're finally going to see this D as it was intended with Sims, Surtain, Warfields all at once.

Yup.

I would like to have Key Fox though.

jspchief
12-01-2005, 07:02 AM
I'm excited for the return of Sims too. I'm trying to temper my expectations for the first game or two, because I'm sure he'll be rusty. But the glimpse he gave us this pre-season has raised my hopes that Sims may turn out to be a respectable DT yet.

I'm also impressed that he was able to maintain his playing weight. There's a lot of Sims haters in here that like to bitch about him being fat. Looks like he's breaking that mold.

OzArK KrAzO
12-01-2005, 07:24 AM
I'm really looking forward to the full meal and not just a snack hitting the field.This should be a game where Bell is tested to.THIS SHIT IS WHAT I LIVE FOR!!!!!!!!! GO CHIEFS

the Talking Can
12-01-2005, 07:28 AM
I heard a clip from him on the radio:

he said he thought he was ready last week,but that is was probably right to hold him out..said he feels 100%

he sounded very upbeat and excited and motivated...honestly, I've never heard him sound so relaxed...he could make a big difference in the next 5 weeks (progressively, of course, I'm not sure how much he can give this week)

Brock
12-01-2005, 08:52 AM
God, I hope the chiefs can finally get some return on that investment.

Chiefnj
12-01-2005, 09:35 AM
He can't do any worse than Siavii.

Warrior5
12-01-2005, 09:40 AM

You forgot to mention Kendrell "Sack Monster" Bell.

CoMoChief
12-01-2005, 10:28 AM
We should draft AJ Hawk (what a ****in badass name) and run the 3-4. Shit we should just draft the guy because of his name. The name has simply has badass written all over it.

KCTitus
12-01-2005, 12:02 PM
We should draft AJ Hawk (what a ****in badass name) and run the 3-4. Shit we should just draft the guy because of his name. The name has simply has badass written all over it.

I could see that. Increasing the strength of the defense couldnt hurt, but I'd be shocked if KC drafted another LB really high.

jspchief
12-01-2005, 12:10 PM
I could see that. Increasing the strength of the defense couldnt hurt, but I'd be shocked if KC drafted another LB really high.DJ and Mitchell are locks as our starting LBs. After that we have Bell, Barber, Fox, Griffin, Scanlon, and Griffin... none of which are obvious deadbeats (ahem, Bell).

If there is one position on this team that does not need help, it is clearly LB. It's moot anyway because AJ Hawk will never make it to us. Personally, I'd rather have Greenway anyway, the way we're dropping our LBs into coverage. He's much better against the pass.

KCTitus
12-01-2005, 12:27 PM
If there is one position on this team that does not need help, it is clearly LB. It's moot anyway because AJ Hawk will never make it to us. Personally, I'd rather have Greenway anyway, the way we're dropping our LBs into coverage. He's much better against the pass.

Yes, logically, I would agree...this same argument was used when discussing the possibility of drafting Larry Johnson 3 years ago. Look where we are today.

If Hawk dropped to KC's draft # and he's the best player on the board, I say take him. Ive allways been of the 'draft best player regardless of position' opinion for the first round.

jspchief
12-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Yes, logically, I would agree...this same argument was used when discussing the possibility of drafting Larry Johnson 3 years ago. Look where we are today.

If Hawk dropped to KC's draft # and he's the best player on the board, I say take him. Ive allways been of the 'draft best player regardless of position' opinion for the first round.If Hawk is available, I don't see how we could pass on him. But considering he'll go in the top 10, I don't think we'll be faced with that decision.

KC Kings
12-01-2005, 12:39 PM

If Hawk dropped to KC's draft # and he's the best player on the board, I say take him. Ive allways been of the 'draft best player regardless of position' opinion for the first round.

Was the possibility of drafting Larry Johnson discussed? I thought it was one of those Kris Wilson, take everybody by surprise kind of picks.

Mr. Laz
12-01-2005, 12:44 PM
even 10 to 15 snaps is a huge bonus...more rest for Dalton/Browning and more bench for Siavii...
yep

Mr. Laz
12-01-2005, 12:47 PM
DJ and Mitchell are locks as our starting LBs. After that we have Bell, Barber, Fox, Griffin, Scanlon, and Griffin... none of which are obvious deadbeats (ahem, Bell).

eh ... Bell doesn't really fit this defense and his contract is rumored to be structured for a cap friendly release next year.

if Hawk is another Derrick johnson type linebacker it wouldn't be such a stretch.

although DT,DE,WR are bigger needs imo

Rausch
12-01-2005, 12:49 PM
if Hawk is another Derrick johnson type linebacker it wouldn't be such a stretch.

I think adding a quality WR (FA or draft) is a must this offseason. Our only legit deep threat is Kennison.

Mark M
12-01-2005, 12:50 PM
I'd prefer for Sims to feel like a playmaking defensive tackle ...

but that's just me.

MM
~~:arrow:

Mark M
12-01-2005, 12:51 PM

IMHO, OT is numero uno. That'd be followed by DE, OG, WR, QBotF and SS.

MM
~~:shrug:

BigChiefFan
12-01-2005, 12:53 PM
If he plays up to his potential, it will be good to have him back. That said, Browning and Dalton have done a pretty good job. Wilkerson has even done a pretty good job in a limited role at DT.Sims needs to have a DOMINATE performance for a change.

Mr. Laz
12-01-2005, 12:54 PM
I think adding a quality WR (FA or draft) is a must this offseason. Our only legit deep threat is Kennison.
ya, i just keep holding out hope that Parker will develop.

i agree another WR is still a big need, even kennison doesn't instill much fear in defenders.

it's also probably about time for the Boe deal to end.

Mr. Laz
12-01-2005, 12:57 PM
IMHO, OT is numero uno. That'd be followed by DE, OG, WR, QBotF and SS.

MM
~~:shrug:
i think we are ok at OG ... waters,black,welbourn,bober etc. I think Black will be ok inside he just doens't have the feet for tackle.

OT is an issue ... ya think Roaf will come back next year like he said he would earlier this year?

jspchief
12-01-2005, 12:58 PM
I think adding a quality WR (FA or draft) is a must this offseason. Our only legit deep threat is Kennison.Green couldn't hit a deep threat if we had one. he just doesn't throw accurate long balls.

I'll repeat. Lack of a WR isn't the source of this team's struggles.

It's like building an addition on your home (with permit),while the roof is caving in. Sure, the extra space will be really nice, but it's not going to keep anyone's head dry.

Mark M
12-01-2005, 01:01 PM
i think we are ok at OG ... waters,black,welbourn,bober etc. I think Black will be ok inside he just doens't have the feet for tackle.

We're okay at tackle, but neither John "Doesn't Block So" Welbourn and Bober the Swinging Gate elephant have done nothing to gain my confidence.

Maybe they can steal one in the 3rd or 4th like they did Shields?

OT is an issue ... ya think Roaf will come back next year like he said he would earlier this year?
Not a chance in hell. He and Shields will be gone, and that, IMHO, is when the offense goes into the toilet.

To be honest, getting LJ now looks like ****ing genious -- the guy's geat getting yards after first contact, and I get the feeling he'll have a lot of contact next year ...

let's just hope it doesn't involve a woman.

MM
~~;)

BigChiefFan
12-01-2005, 01:03 PM

Waters is in a contract year, I believe. If he's retained, we are okay at LG. If Shields and Roaf retire, that's going to really disrupt the rest of the O-line. We really need a LTOTF.

NewChief
12-01-2005, 01:03 PM
Being in a contract year, Simms has the remainder of the season to make an impression. I would hope that he's motivated. Hopefully he stays motivated if and when we sign him again.

Brock
12-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Not a chance in hell. He and Shields will be gone, and that, IMHO, is when the offense goes into the toilet.

Roaf isn't going anywhere.

Rain Man
12-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Which do y'all think will take precedence?

1. Good stuff. There's no film on Sims and no info on how he's being used this year.

2. Bad stuff. Rust.

FringeNC
12-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Roaf isn't going anywhere.

Yeah, I think Roaf and Green will be around two more years, Green maybe more. And Welbourne will fill in adequately for Shields. Sampson or Black hopefully can do decently at RT. I think our OL is okay.

This offense is not just going to suddenly collapse as many on the board think.

ptlyon
12-01-2005, 01:34 PM
Rust.

Brock
12-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Which do y'all think will take precedence?

1. Good stuff. There's no film on Sims and no info on how he's being used this year.

2. Bad stuff. Rust.

The main thing is, he will be very rested. It all depends on how motivated he is to carry the defense.

Rain Man
12-01-2005, 01:37 PM
Rust.

Bummer. I was hoping that there'd be some sort of secret weapon short-term advantage.

Rain Man
12-01-2005, 01:38 PM
The main thing is, he will be very rested. It all depends on how motivated he is to carry the defense.

Ah. Good point. I should've included fresh legs on the plus side of the ledger.

ptlyon
12-01-2005, 01:40 PM
Bummer. I was hoping that there'd be some sort of secret weapon short-term advantage.

Welcome to the NFL regular season Ryan. This ain't preseason.

Although I will say, "Ryan, this is a contract year. You'd better step it up Buddy".

Chris Meck
12-01-2005, 01:41 PM
Our Greatest Areas of Need, IMO:

draft LT to groom/spell Roaf. Willie's not gonna be able to go 16 games next year either, although I don't think he'll retire. Draft a stud as high as you can to learn from the master for a year. We basically can't run our offense without a great LT. It goes in the toilet.

A bookend pass rusher to pair with Allen. Could be already on the squad (Hall?) but either way he needs to PLAY or we need to draft a big, young, mean RDE. Hicks is serviceable, but not a threat.

Assuming Sampson or Black can do the job at RT, and Welbourn will take Shield's spot (because he WILL retire) we can wait till middle rounds to draft the rest of the OL positions.

We need to be able to count on Parker developing, and we need to draft another WR prospect.

So in this order: LT, RDE, G, WR

just my opinion. We can make due with Kennison again (who's actually quietly having another decent season) as long as Parker solidifies and we draft more talent.

Chris

siberian khatru
12-01-2005, 01:44 PM

draft LT to groom/spell Roaf. Willie's not gonna be able to go 16 games next year either, although I don't think he'll retire. Draft a stud as high as you can to learn from the master for a year. We basically can't run our offense without a great LT. It goes in the toilet.

A bookend pass rusher to pair with Allen. Could be already on the squad (Hall?) but either way he needs to PLAY or we need to draft a big, young, mean RDE. Hicks is serviceable, but not a threat.

Assuming Sampson or Black can do the job at RT, and Welbourn will take Shield's spot (because he WILL retire) we can wait till middle rounds to draft the rest of the OL positions.

We need to be able to count on Parker developing, and we need to draft another WR prospect.

just my opinion. We can make due with Kennison again (who's actually quietly having another decent season) as long as Parker solidifies and we draft more talent.

Chris

I'd agree with that. I'd also be looking for a fullback.

Mr. Laz
12-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Waters is in a contract year, I believe. If he's retained, we are okay at LG. If Shields and Roaf retire, that's going to really disrupt the rest of the O-line. We really need a LTOTF.

i thought we signed Waters to a contract extension last year or the year before that.

StcChief
12-01-2005, 01:54 PM
I think he'll step up. minor surface rust only.

Mr. Laz
12-01-2005, 01:55 PM
I'd agree with that. I'd also be looking for a fullback.
they don't even use a fullback with Larry johnson much do they?

Cormac
12-01-2005, 02:08 PM

Chris

Good post. However, I'd say WR is a bigger need than OG. Parker and Kennison are OK, but I think they need help. Boe doesn't seem to get it done, Chris Horn is a 20 catch guy, Kris "Bigfoot" Wilson is not an option, Gonzo is still being triple-teamed etc. I think we need a WR in the first 3 rounds. OG can wait. We also really need more depth at DT. Browning has disappeared this year, IMO. He could be retiring sooner than we think. He had serious injury concerns in TC. Dalton is only OK, and Wilkerson has stepped it up a bit. Unless Siavii really shows something (heh), we're going to need another solid prospect there.

My order
1. LT
1a. DE
3. DT
4. WR
5. QBOTF
6. FB
7. OG

kregger
12-01-2005, 02:19 PM
First picks should be best athlete available, regardless of position. WR's can be had in 3rd and 4th rounds. 2nd round has to be OL.
Free agent QB,FB, and secondary.

Hydrae
12-01-2005, 03:03 PM
NOTE -- Center Casey Wiegmann was held out of Wednesday's practice with a sprained ankle, but Vermeil thinks he'll be able to work today.

That could really suck. Good thing we are using LJ instead of Priest., I am sure Wiegmann does much less pulling to the outside to block for LJ.

Holden McGroin
12-01-2005, 04:16 PM
Being in a contract year, Simms has the remainder of the season to make an impression. I would hope that he's motivated. Hopefully he stays motivated if and when we sign him again.

I have a feeling that if Simms plays this sunday that he will make a huge impact. From everything I have read he sounds that he really wants to be a part of this playoff run... Simm's is going to play like a man possesed, count on it! :rockon:

htismaqe
12-01-2005, 04:52 PM
Sims isn't in a contract year.

And there's nobody named Simms on this team.

Hammock Parties
12-01-2005, 05:07 PM
Sims isn't in a contract year.

And there's nobody named Simms on this team.

You need to check out the Al Saunders/HC thread...

htismaqe
12-01-2005, 05:41 PM
You need to check out the Al Saunders/HC thread...

This one?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=130118&page=1&pp=50

Why bother?

I hate Al Saunders and I'm an idiot. Why would I bother with those who are obviously my intellectual superiors?

Hammock Parties
12-01-2005, 05:42 PM
This one?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=130118&page=1&pp=50

Why bother?

I hate Al Saunders and I'm an idiot. Why would I bother with those who are obviously my intellectual superiors?

ROFL

That's EXACTLY why you need to intervene.

htismaqe
12-01-2005, 05:46 PM
ROFL

That's EXACTLY why you need to intervene.

No, I figure after posting "I don't hate Al Saunders, I don't like the circumstances" 250 times, that they might have gotten it by now.

Apparently not.