PDA

View Full Version : Rock Mtn News - Pressuring Green key for defense

Hammock Parties
12-01-2005, 05:12 AM
Pressuring Green key for defense

Healthy Roaf makes the task significantly tougher for Broncos

http://mas.scripps.com/DRMN/2005/12/01/432516882-_o.jpg

ENGLEWOOD - Round and round the Denver Broncos defense goes. Where it would like to stop, well, the guy with the ball in his hands is always a good start.

"Any kind of defensive term for movement, apply it," Kansas City Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said. "They know what they're doing and it's tough to follow. . . . They knocked Trent down too many times the last time we played them."

Trent would be Chiefs quarterback Trent Green, the same guy the Broncos defensive front will be chasing Sunday at Kansas City's Arrowhead Stadium.

In the Broncos' 30-10 victory on Monday Night Football on Sept. 26, the Broncos sacked Green only twice but knocked him to the ground several more times as they jostled him throughout the game.

"We kept the pressure on there," Broncos defensive tackle Michael Myers said. "You don't want to let (Green) stand there and throw it. We did pretty good at getting people around him."

"We couldn't run the ball, we couldn't pass the ball . . . ," Green said. "There isn't one area we can't improve on from that first game."

Vermeil said it's the Broncos' movement up front defensively that makes it difficult for an offense to plan. The Broncos have lined up in a variety of fronts this season, including packing nine players across from the offensive line against the Philadelphia Eagles.

They have blitzed cornerbacks, linebackers and safeties. They have dropped defensive ends such as Courtney Brown and Ebenezer Ekuban into pass coverage.

And when the front four does rush, the Broncos always seem to be shifting, moving and changing the way they come at an offensive line.

"I think they've allowed their very fine defensive coordinator, Larry Coyer, to be more flexible within their scheme," Vermeil said. "To get a rush with only four down (linemen) - they have a big package of blitzes that drive offensive coordinators crazy."

"The way that their defensive line is playing right now, that just gives (the linebackers) free rein," Green said. "When you can run that fast, hit the creases, hit the seams, get to the outside, it all starts with those four guys up front."

In the teams' first meeting, it was Trevor Pryce who steamrolled the Chiefs offensive front. Everything from hits on Green to dragging down Priest Holmes for a 3-yard loss to drawing Chiefs tackle Jordan Black into a penalty or two.

"This team, they don't allow you a lot of time," Vermeil said. "Big plays are going to have to come from individuals who take short plays and make them big plays."

But the challenge for the Broncos this time will be a bit more stern.

The Chiefs played backups at both tackle spots - Black on the left, Chris Bober on the right - against the Broncos in September. Sunday, the Chiefs will play their starters - with 10-time Pro Bowl selection Willie Roaf at left tackle and John Welbourn on the right.

And Roaf, who has missed plenty of time this season because of a left hamstring injury, makes a distinct difference in the Chiefs offense.

"You line up in front of him, you better strap it on because he's going to come off the ball," Vermeil said. "He's the most explosive big man I've ever been on the field with. . . . I don't know why they don't make more of him, I really don't. He's going to punish you."

"Definitely, definitely," Green said. "He gives us the ability to do more things. He can get out on the perimeter and run. He's obviously been to 10 Pro Bowls and played well for us for a long time . . . that's not a knock on Jordan Black, it's hard for any player to fill those shoes."

The Chiefs, Vermeil said, have been able to be more aggressive in the passing game with Roaf in the lineup because the pass protection is better.

The numbers bear that out. In four the six games Roaf has not played because of his balky left hamstring, the Chiefs have recorded no pass plays longer than 36 yards.

In each of the five games Roaf has played, the Chiefs have had a pass play of at least 36 yards and, in three of those games, one of at least 50 yards.

"They've been hitting home runs," Coyer said. "They always take shots, but they've been really successful lately. . . .

"You're not going to trick them, I'll just tell you that. They're very versatile, I'll put it that way, with their movement of their offense. They keep you on your toes, they're all over the place."

Big man, big difference

The Chiefs produce more big plays in the passing game with left tackle Willie Roaf in the lineup. But he has missed six games this season because of a left hamstring injury.

• With Roaf out

Opponent Long pass play

Oakland 49

Denver 26

Philadelphia 49

Oakland 36

Buffalo 20

Houston 26

• With Roaf in

Opponent Long pass play

New York Jets 37

Washington 60

Miami 50

San Diego 36

New England 52

Bob Dole
12-01-2005, 05:42 AM
"This team, they don't allow you a lot of time," Vermeil said. "Big plays are going to have to come from individuals who take short plays and make them big plays."

Great. Let's use that Buffalo offensive game plan that worked so well.

4th and Long
12-01-2005, 05:46 AM
Gah! Don't even joke about that!

Hopefully Saunders learned his lesson about playing too cute against Buffalo and he puts together a solid game plan this go around. If not, we're in for a long day on defense.

Braincase
12-01-2005, 06:31 AM
Do they mean pressuring or playing dirty and roughing the passer early in the game, then not getting it called later in the game?

I hope we "pressure" Plummer onto a gurney.

Gaz
12-01-2005, 06:45 AM
Denver will try to do to Green what we need to do to Plummer. There is a slight difference, as I think Green is more dangerous to the other team than Plummer is. But the principle remains. Attack the Enemy backfield.

Roaf with a game under his belt should be a big comfort to Green.

I also expect Saunders to do his part by using Johnson and play action to buy Green some additional time.

Gonzalez should be a big factor as Green’s relief valve.

xoxo~
Gaz
Hopes the Chiefs OL returns to form this week.

Chromatic
12-01-2005, 08:21 AM
I think it's obvious now.

Willie Roaf is jesus.

morphius
12-01-2005, 08:37 AM
I read that and shuddered. I guess that mean we can expect one TE quick screen pass and one to Dante as well. I think we may gain a yard, 2 if we are lucky.