PDA

View Full Version : Don't Look Now, but we're actually Drafting well.

JohnnyV13
12-01-2005, 11:22 AM
As much as we have all bitched about King Carl's drafting, we have to admit he's done an outstanding job the last 3 years.

In the last 3 drafts he's landed an impact player each year, with LJ, Jared Allen and Derrick Johnson. These aren't just good players, these are the kind of guys you can build a team around.

Useful players in each draft:

1. Larry Johnson - Questioned a lot, but clearly a great pick
2. Kawicka Mitchell - Showing up all the haters
5. Jordan Black - Doesn't have it as a LT, but a solid RT
6. Jimmy Wilkerson - Useful backup

2. Junior Siavii - Okay, he's a big tub of goo. He does get snaps
3. Keyaron Fox - Good backup. Might be a starter someday
4. Jared Allen - A monster. Worth a 1st round pick
4. Sammie Parker - Decent backup WR, who might be a no. 2
7. Kevin Sampson - Potential starting RT who is at least a backup

1. Derrick Johnson - Will be a monster
3. Dustin Colquitt - Solid positional punter
5. Boomer Grigsby - Special teams guy with tude
FA Kris Griffin - Seems like a good backup

And, there are more guys that could become useful over time. Jeremey Parquet and Will Svitek seem to have some potential. Kris Wilson looks good in practice. And Julian Battle looked good in camp.

Our biggests needs are now LT, QBOTF, a true no. 1 WR and a truly dominant DT unless Sims pans out late this season.

Phobia
12-01-2005, 11:26 AM
True. Nice thread.

siberian khatru
12-01-2005, 11:27 AM
More Rufus lies.

:p

chiefsfaninNC
12-01-2005, 11:29 AM
Please stop these types of posts. You are making it difficult to continue hating him.

oaklandhater
12-01-2005, 11:29 AM
he has still failed in the last 3 years to get an impact Wideout which we better fix this year!

JohnnyV13
12-01-2005, 11:30 AM
Maybe it has more to do with Bill Kuharich, who was hired as player personnel chief in 03. But, King Carl did hire him.

Brock
12-01-2005, 11:33 AM
where is Defensive Coordinator's Nightmare Kris Wilson?

jspchief
12-01-2005, 11:37 AM
he has still failed in the last 3 years to get an impact Wideout which we better fix this year!We've had one of the top passing offenses over the last 3 years without an "impact" wideout. WR hasn't been close to a priority in the last 3 years, and won't be next spring either.

KCTitus
12-01-2005, 11:39 AM
where is Defensive Coordinator's Nightmare Kris Wilson?

LOL...

oaklandhater
12-01-2005, 11:40 AM
We've had one of the top passing offenses over the last 3 years without an "impact" wideout. WR hasn't been close to a priority in the last 3 years, and won't be next spring either.

What do you think is a bigger need this spring ?

Seek
12-01-2005, 11:44 AM
The only thing about the good draft pick theory is the later rounds. We have missed on more second and third rounders than we should be.

KCTitus
12-01-2005, 11:46 AM
The only thing about the good draft pick theory is the later rounds. We have missed on more second and third rounders than we should be.

Especially 2nd rounders...

Mark M
12-01-2005, 11:50 AM

Other than Mitchell, the 2nd round picks have pretty much sucked ass ...

MM
~~:sulk:

Duck Dog
12-01-2005, 11:52 AM
I'd like to see the Chiefs go after Reggie Wayne this off season. he'll be an UFA, and if not for Harrison would the Colts #1 rec.

Seek
12-01-2005, 11:54 AM
Other than Mitchell, the 2nd round picks have pretty much sucked ass ...

MM
~~:sulk:
Our last second rounder to make any impact other than KM. Was Tim Grunhardt.

I can't name our last decent 3rd rounder, other than D. Colquitt, who is really a 3.9 rounder since he is basically a 4th round pick.

SCChief
12-01-2005, 11:55 AM
What do you think is a bigger need this spring ?

A solid LT to replace Roaf. Green has no problems hitting Parker or Hall or Kennison on deep passes, as long as Roaf is in the game and protecting him.

Another solid CB would also be good.

Seek
12-01-2005, 11:55 AM
I'd like to see the Chiefs go after Reggie Wayne this off season. he'll be an UFA, and if not for Harrison would the Colts #1 rec.

Reggie Wayne would be pretty much pointless without an offensive line. Just ask Joey Harrington.

jspchief
12-01-2005, 11:56 AM
What do you think is a bigger need this spring ?Dline, Oline, and probably FB, Safety, and QB.

Our offense hasn't struggled due to lack of a true #1 WR. It has struggled due to poor Oline play. Our defense has struggled due to poor D-line play. We are old at O-line, QB, FB, and Safety, while we have some young WRs.

I'm just not convinced that a #1 WR is a pressing need. This team has shown how capable it is without one in the past, and I believe as long as we have Gonzalez and can pass block, that will remain true.

Mark M
12-01-2005, 11:56 AM

The question then is, is Wayne looking good because of the attention Harrison gets, a product of the offense, or is he really that good?

I honestly don't have the answers, but those question will be asked.

MM
~~:shrug:

chiefsfolife
12-01-2005, 11:57 AM
dont look now but my anus itches...is this thread worthless without pics

jspchief
12-01-2005, 12:01 PM
The question then is, is Wayne looking good because of the attention Harrison gets, a product of the offense, or is he really that good?

I honestly don't have the answers, but those question will be asked.

MM
~~:shrug:Alvin Harper?

Mark M
12-01-2005, 12:48 PM
Alvin Harper?

Bret Perriwinkle ... or Perriwoman ... or whatever the hell it was.

MM
~~:banghead:

Hammock Parties
12-01-2005, 02:22 PM
And who knows, maybe Battle can turn into a CB.

Where did Sapp come from?

tk13
12-01-2005, 02:25 PM

He was a rookie FA... I believe out of Northern Iowa?

Spicy McHaggis
12-01-2005, 02:26 PM

He was undrafted out of N. Iowa I believe.

Duck Dog
12-01-2005, 03:02 PM
Reggie Wayne would be pretty much pointless without an offensive line. Just ask Joey Harrington.

That is why I mentioned him as a FA. I believe we will go OT in the draft. I didn't see any FA tackles (DT's either) that stuck out at me.

Wayne is a pretty big guy. 6' 200lbs. He may be product of a system, but he still makes catches and runs good routes. He would be going from one pocket passer to another. Besides, there's not much else out there. David Boston, Jerome Pathon, Dez White to name a few.

htismaqe
12-01-2005, 04:46 PM
Sapp was undrafted out of Northern Iowa-Cedar Falls, 1-AA. But he only went there 2 years after he got kicked off the team in Iowa City for conduct detrimental to the team.

Benny was easily the best young CB on that team at Iowa and on par athletically with S Bob Sanders who was a 2nd round pick and currently starts for the Colts.

teedubya
12-01-2005, 04:50 PM
they said monday nite, that Reggie Wayne has the best WR recieving percentage of any WR in teh league, catching 87% of the passes intended for him.

Sully
12-01-2005, 04:51 PM
They also did the QB rating by wr, and he had the highest in the league there, as well.