PDA

View Full Version : Have Chiefs turned the corner?

chiefsfan1963
12-01-2005, 08:04 PM
Curious what people think this team can accomplish from here on out.

I feel a shift for the better for this team. Here is some things to consider: Players are the healthiest they've been all year, the competition going forward is the toughest any team will face in this league, but b/c several players will be retiring after this year it puts added motivation for the team to overachieve despite their schedule, all the sports media expect this team to implode under the pressure, the realization we are in control of our destiny, also I believe we have the chance to make history by being one of the first teams to win the super bowl after a 7-4 start. Some of you fact checkers can confirm this.

all this leads me to believe that we can be the team under the radar that can get it done. Just throwing it out there.

Rain Man
12-01-2005, 08:06 PM
I must say that I noted the other day that this is one of those rare times where we have people in the top five in the conference in rushing, kicking, sacks, and interceptions. Our QB is ranked sixth, and we have two receivers in the top 15. Those are good signs.

ChiTown
We'll find out this weekend.

If we beat the Donks, we can make a serious run.

SCChief
I think the Donks game will answer quite a few questions. If our defensive trend holds, and we come out of that game without too many injuries and a victory to boot... we may just get it done for the rest of the season.

Calcountry
12-01-2005, 08:07 PM
I have a gut feeling, but I have had this before, it is usually cured with a crushing defeat.

Nightwish
12-01-2005, 08:09 PM
I'm very impressed with the improvement our defense has shown in the last few weeks. But for your scenario to become a realistic probability, our red zone offense is going to have to get its act together. We can't FG these upcoming teams to death!

Phobia
12-01-2005, 08:09 PM
"Turned the corner? That's a media phrase.

I'm ready for the next question.

tk13
12-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Haven't you already done this thread today?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=130172

You've got like 5 threads on the front page, you're turning into Gunther Fan....

ck_IN
12-01-2005, 08:17 PM
As Chitown said, we'll know more after this weekend.

We've had great games against Houston which is perhaps the worst team in football and NE which is perhaps the most injured. In other words we've proven nothing in these last two games. Denver can fight back. We'll see Sunday.

Personally I think we're pretenders and will be shown for it about three more times.

CosmicPal
12-01-2005, 08:26 PM
Personally I think we're pretenders and will be shown for it about three more times.

We may be pretenders, but we're back on the chain gang, baby!

ck_IN
12-01-2005, 08:31 PM
We may have some brass in pocket but are we special? :p

tk13
12-01-2005, 08:37 PM
We aren't "pretenders", we're a decent football team. Really, since the bye week, we have outplayed everybody on our schedule, save one bad half of football against San Diego on the road. We lost the San Diego game, and even had our chances to come back there... and the Bills game, another tough road site, where we basically got beat on 2 outstanding plays. That's the NFL.

I have a good feeling about this team. I had some serious doubts early on, but I like where we're at. I think with Roaf healthy, this is the best team we've fielded under Vermeil. We can beat anybody in the NFL right now.

keg in kc
12-01-2005, 08:45 PM
I think we have, but it's incumbent on health. I also think it's possible we'll win out, although that's tough with parity. One or two random bounces can decide games between closely-talented teams.

tk13
12-01-2005, 08:51 PM
I think we can win all the home games. It's those two road games that scare me....

chrisdel
12-01-2005, 08:53 PM
We won't turn the corner until we're in the playoffs, and that's a long ways away. Hate to use a Marty phrase, but one game at a time.

CoMoChief
12-01-2005, 08:55 PM
Curious what people think this team can accomplish from here on out.

I feel a shift for the better for this team. Here is some things to consider: Players are the healthiest they've been all year, the competition going forward is the toughest any team will face in this league, but b/c several players will be retiring after this year it puts added motivation for the team to overachieve despite their schedule, all the sports media expect this team to implode under the pressure, the realization we are in control of our destiny, also I believe we have the chance to make history by being one of the first teams to win the super bowl after a 7-4 start. Some of you fact checkers can confirm this.

all this leads me to believe that we can be the team under the radar that can get it done. Just throwing it out there.

Didnt the Pats in '01-'02 win it all with a 7-4 record at this time?

tk13
12-01-2005, 09:06 PM
The '01 Pats were 6-5 at this point. They didn't lose another game.

The 2000 Baltimore Ravens were 7-4 at this point and won a Super Bowl. The '02 Raiders were 7-4 at this point and went to the Super Bowl. The '03 Panthers were 8-5 a couple games after this point and went to the Super Bowl.

petegz28
12-01-2005, 09:15 PM
I think as long as Roaf stays healthy and the Defense keeps doing what they are doing then we are going to be make a strong run at the right time.

I call us 11-5 IF we beat Denver. 10-6 otherwise.

unlurking
12-01-2005, 09:17 PM
Personally, I'm preparing for a loss against Denver. My wife is ready to kill me after games I set my hopes too high on and we lose. If we beat Denver, I'll probably be back to being the rose colored homer I am at the start of every season.

htismaqe
12-01-2005, 09:23 PM
The '01 Pats were 6-5 at this point. They didn't lose another game.

The 2000 Baltimore Ravens were 7-4 at this point and won a Super Bowl. The '02 Raiders were 7-4 at this point and went to the Super Bowl. The '03 Panthers were 8-5 a couple games after this point and went to the Super Bowl.

While that looks encouraging at first glance, the 01 Pats closed the season against the Jets, Browns, Bills, Dolphins, and Panthers. The Jets and Dolphins combined for 21 wins. The Browns, Bills, and Panthers combined for just 11.

We play 5 potential playoff teams. It's gonna be tough. Thank God we have the conference games at home.

Chiefnj
12-01-2005, 09:25 PM
Have they turned the corner? Yes. They can now beat teams they should beat.

Are they good enough to beat 5 playoff contenders in a row? Nope.

tk13
12-01-2005, 09:33 PM
While that looks encouraging at first glance, the 01 Pats closed the season against the Jets, Browns, Bills, Dolphins, and Panthers. The Jets and Dolphins combined for 21 wins. The Browns, Bills, and Panthers combined for just 11.

We play 5 potential playoff teams. It's gonna be tough. Thank God we have the conference games at home.
I could give a crap. Yeah our schedule is tougher, but there's no reason to be afraid. We've played pretty well in Arrowhead. Win at home, split the road games. That's all I've been saying for weeks now. If we can do that, we're 11-5... if that doesn't get us in then it wasn't meant to be.

Deberg_1990
12-01-2005, 09:49 PM
We aren't "pretenders", we're a decent football team. Really, since the bye week, we have outplayed everybody on our schedule, save one bad half of football against San Diego on the road. We lost the San Diego game, and even had our chances to come back there... and the Bills game, another tough road site, where we basically got beat on 2 outstanding plays. That's the NFL.

I have a good feeling about this team. I had some serious doubts early on, but I like where we're at. I think with Roaf healthy, this is the best team we've fielded under Vermeil. We can beat anybody in the NFL right now.

I would tend to agree with this for the most part. The jury is still out on whether or not we can beat a decent team on the road though. I have my doubts. Personally, I think the rest of the season goes like this:

Denver - Win We always play Denver tough at home.

@ Dallas - Win Dallas is NOT as good as their record. Ever win of theirs is a squeeker

@ Giants - loss NO way we win in NY. We have never played good against Coughlin teams

Bolts - loss Marty is the best REGULAR SEASOn coach of all time.

Cinci - Win Their D is soft. The wont be able to stop our offense.

Just a gut feeling, but ill bet we end up 10-6. Who knows if that will get us in or not??

htismaqe
12-01-2005, 09:53 PM
I could give a crap. Yeah our schedule is tougher, but there's no reason to be afraid. We've played pretty well in Arrowhead. Win at home, split the road games. That's all I've been saying for weeks now. If we can do that, we're 11-5... if that doesn't get us in then it wasn't meant to be.

I'm not scared either. Just pointing out that our path is more difficult than some of those past team.

But you're absolutely right - if we do win these games, we're meant to be there. Beyond that, I think if we do get in, it means we beat a bunch of contenders and we're gonna be tough to deal with in the playoffs.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-01-2005, 10:01 PM
If we can beat the Broncos, I think we'll get hot and go on a winning a streak.. In order to do that, we have to beat the Broncos. The team says they feel good now, but I don't know how much I believe that (they know the Texans and the Pats weren't that good of teams, even though the Pats are the defending champs, they are injured). It's going to take beating the Broncos to really set this team off on a long winning streak.

chiefsfan1963
12-01-2005, 10:58 PM
Haven't you already done this thread today?

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=130172

You've got like 5 threads on the front page, you're turning into Gunther Fan....

I am what I am!
:)

chiefsfan1963
12-01-2005, 11:00 PM

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:clap:

chiefsfan1963
12-01-2005, 11:01 PM

I don't know. Did they?

jidar
12-01-2005, 11:12 PM
Hell yeah! We can do it!
Go Chiefs!

Mr. Flopnuts
12-02-2005, 12:13 AM
Have they turned the corner? Yes. They can now beat teams they should beat.

Are they good enough to beat 5 playoff contenders in a row? Nope.

This is my biggest fear. We have become the team we have all hoped for since spring. However it took us time to get there. We lost games to Philadelphia, and Buffalo that we should've won. We could've beaten San Diego too. But we didn't. So now we have damn near the toughest schedule in the NFL for the rest of the year, and we have to win a MINIMUM of 4 of 5. Denver, NY Giants, Dallas, Cincinatti, and San Diego. That looks shitty. I can't get my hopes up, and it breaks my heart. I feel that right now we could beat anyone in the league. Ya know, I felt that one other time this year. After we beat Oakland on the last play of the game. Who'd we play the next week? Oh yeah, Buffalo. I'm just along for the ride on this rollercoaster.

philfree
12-02-2005, 12:27 AM
I don't know about turning the corner because in the NFL there's a corner every week. A fork in the road. To me the Chiefs are better then they were early in the season. That's due to the obvious. We are getting healthy and getting all of our players on the field. That's offense and defense.

Offensively we finally have our O line intact(yeah I know Weigman has a sprained ankle but he'll end up playing sunday) and although Welbourn wasn't gonna be the starting RT as the season began he did start for us there last year and he has more playing experience then Black and Sampson so he's starter quality. All of our WRs are healthy and since Parker has returned he's played well. We miss Holmes in the redzone but besides that LJ is getting it done. TE's are healthy and so is T-Rich. Our O is ready to rock.

Defensive we finally have both of our starting CBs unsuspended and healthy. They have played together the last few games but one or both of them were on the injury list. Now they're not and they have gained a little experience with each other too. Besides that our LBs are getting better every week and we now have Barber back on the active roster. And then there's Sims who should play some this week. If he's wanting to play as bad as DV says then he should be able to get back to game speed pretty fast.

We've done a good job of getting through our injuries which has allowed us to win 7 games keeping us in the playoff pitcure. If our improved health makes the difference I think we have a real chance to run the table. We're improved from early in the season and we are about to find out how good we really are.

PhilFree:arrow:

Tactical Funky
12-02-2005, 12:29 AM
^
Preach it, brotha!

Logical
12-02-2005, 12:34 AM
We will have some idea if they have turned the corner at the end of the game Sunday, this is our first real quality opponent in over a month.

ct
12-02-2005, 02:00 AM
Turned the corner?

Beat the Broncos, and I'll say Hell Yeah! For now I won't go hear that after beating Houston and decimated Patriot team. This after losing to the damn Bills!

Vegas_Dave
12-02-2005, 02:12 AM
To be a real contender, we need to beat ALL the teams on our current schedule.

Lets face it, mathmatically we can afford to lose 1 game and still make it in, but which team on our list can we REALLY afford to lose to?

The only 2 that seem to matter the least are the Cowboys and Giants... yet, if we cant beat both of them (good teams on the road), then we really have no chance in the playoffs should we make it since, barring a Denver collapse), we will be a wild card and the entire post season would be ROAD games.

Demonpenz
12-02-2005, 02:15 AM
this is the chiefs, we've turned everyone into a corner

Tactical Funky
12-02-2005, 02:21 AM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Simply brilliant.

Demonpenz
12-02-2005, 02:27 AM
ROFL ROFL ROFL

Simply brilliant.

where about do you live in OP? I am over in lenexa by oak park mall. Drinking some whiskey on ice getting crazy up in here.

12-02-2005, 02:34 AM

Can't get more to the point than that. Looking for a corner? Sign a safety.

Rausch
12-02-2005, 04:08 AM
No.

Just because DV wants to "run it down their throats" does not mean we have collectively come out of the closet as a team.

Tactical Funky
12-02-2005, 05:22 AM
where about do you live in OP? I am over in lenexa by oak park mall. Drinking some whiskey on ice getting crazy up in here.
I live a block from Oak Park mall. Small world.

SLAG
12-02-2005, 09:13 AM
I live a block from Oak Park mall. Small world.

Im about 12 Blocks from Oak Park Mall

Cormac
12-02-2005, 09:27 AM
I think the defense has turned the corner, and will probably play a solid game on Sunday. The offense still scares me. It's nothing like it was in 2003 or even last year, IMO. At some point, not having Priest will kick us in the balls. Our red zone production is lousy. Having everybody back healthy is HUGE, so hopefully they can put together a late season surge, but so far they are just too inconsistent to bet on.

Overall, I'm not prepared to say we'll win 4 of 5, yet. Whatever happens, Sunday's game will be a squeaker. We have a crap record against good teams. It's only in the last 2 weeks that we have beaten the teams we should beat. We're 3 weeks removed from showing our ass in Buffalo. Now we are about to find out if we can beat the teams we should split against. Home or away, the next 5 games are killers. Even if we play pretty well, I think winning 3 of them would qualify us as a "good" team. Just maybe not good enough.

brent102fire
12-02-2005, 10:07 AM
The Chiefs should be 10-1. They got taken behind the woodshed by the Broncos. They should have beat Philly, considering they were winning 24-13 at the half and really dominated the first half. They could have easily beat the Chargers if they would have taken advantage of their 4 trips to the red zone. They were down deep in the red zone 4 times and came away with 2 FG's. Unacceptable. We all know how the Buffalo game went...that game could have easily been a W. There were just some mistakes that turned the tide for the other team. The Chiefs could have easily been 10-1 going into this week if they would have had a little luck on their side... :arrow: :kc:

:toast: to the return of Ryan

Cormac
12-02-2005, 10:12 AM
The Chiefs should be 10-1.

I disagree. They are just way too inconsistent. Every team has near misses, and most win games they could have lost too. That stuff usually balances out. The fact is we didn't deserve to win the Philly game, let alone the SD or Buffalo games. I think the Chiefs are barely as good as their record. 7-4 is a very good spot to be in. The problems are our remaining schedule, and the strength of the conference. We can do it, but if we don't I'll be disappointed, but I won't feel hard done by.

JMO.

Inspector
12-02-2005, 10:12 AM
We'll find out this weekend.

If we beat the Donks, we can make a serious run.

Yep.

Exactly what I was thinking.

vailpass
12-02-2005, 11:04 AM
We may be pretenders, but we're back on the chain gang, baby!

Good one Cosmic! (thought I'd let you know your word play did not go unoticed).

Calcountry
12-02-2005, 11:35 AM
I'm not scared either. Just pointing out that our path is more difficult than some of those past team.

But you're absolutely right - if we do win these games, we're meant to be there. Beyond that, I think if we do get in, it means we beat a bunch of contenders and we're gonna be tough to deal with in the playoffs.We are in the playoffs. This is the 3rd round of a long road.

Chris Meck
12-02-2005, 12:38 PM
If we beat Denver we've got a good shot.

Cinci's playing well, but they're soft on D and while Palmer's an ascending young QB, he's a young QB. Gun will harass him into some INT's.

Same with Eli Manning. He ain't his brother...yet.

I don't see Marty beating us at Arrowhead. A split with San Diego sounds about right.

Dallas can't run and Bledsoe's a statue. stuff the run and hit Bledsoe and he'll throw some up for grabs.

If we beat Denver, then four out of five looks do-able. If we don't, then I'd say 10-6 is still likely; whether or not that'll get us in or not I don't know-but statistically it's still likely.

Of course I don't know that we'd be good enough to beat a play-off team on the road IN the play-offs, but who knows.