PDA

View Full Version : Walking across the United State.

Rain Man
12-01-2005, 08:37 PM
If you were going to drop out of society for a while and walk across the continental United States, which route would you prefer?

Poll coming, unless I start walking ahead of schedule.

Lancetastic
12-01-2005, 08:42 PM
I've thought about doing this before, actually. San Diego to Key West is my choice. It would have to be in the spring or fall or else it would be way too hot. I also would get to avoid Denver this way.

Rain Man
12-01-2005, 08:43 PM
After a lot of long debate, I decided to go with San Diego to Bangor. I'd like to go across the South, but I'd probably prefer the Northeast. It'd be neat to cross the Appalachians.

JohninGpt
12-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Winter - The far South route
Summer - The far North route
Somewhere in between - Somewhere in between

cdcox
12-01-2005, 08:45 PM
I've thought it would be neat to do the Appalacian trail some day. I doubt seriously that I wil ever do it, but in honor of that passing thought, I listed Key West to Bangor. Come to think of it, I'd probably start in Bangor so that when I was done, I'd be in Key West.

JohninGpt
12-01-2005, 08:48 PM
I've thought it would be neat to do the Appalacian trail some day.
I drove through those mountains when I was moving up here to VA a month or so ago. Looks like a rough walk.

Rain Man
12-01-2005, 08:49 PM
I too would like to do the Appalachian Trail some day. I'm not sure why, since I'm not an outdoorsman at all, but it seems like that would be a neat hike.

Taco John
12-01-2005, 08:50 PM
If you were going to drop out of society for a while and walk across the continental United States, which route would you prefer?

Poll coming, unless I start walking ahead of schedule.

I've actually thought about this... As a Pacific Northwesterner through and through, the answer is easy. I would take the Oregon trail across...

ck_IN
12-01-2005, 08:52 PM
I think I'd take a route that parallels I-80. That'd take you from central Jersey to Frisco.

Rain Man
12-01-2005, 08:52 PM
Would you keep going past Missouri, TJ? Or would you stop at the end of the trail?

(The Oregon Trail ends in Missouri, right?)

JohninGpt
12-01-2005, 08:54 PM
(The Oregon Trail ends in Missouri, right?)
I think it STARTS there. (As if it matters)

cdcox
12-01-2005, 08:56 PM
As a Pacific Northwesterner through and through...

Seahawks fan, huh?

Skip Towne
12-01-2005, 08:57 PM
I tried to walk across the US one time. But I got to the edge of town and got tired.

cdcox
12-01-2005, 08:59 PM
I drove through those mountains when I was moving up here to VA a month or so ago. Looks like a rough walk.

Yeah, I read a book long ago that was a collection of peoples accounts. That convinced me that it should not be undertaken lightly.

seclark
12-01-2005, 09:00 PM
if it's ok, i'll just watch some dumb shit...err...adventurer do it on tv.
sec

Amnorix
12-01-2005, 09:01 PM
After a lot of long debate, I decided to go with San Diego to Bangor. I'd like to go across the South, but I'd probably prefer the Northeast. It'd be neat to cross the Appalachians.

You've heard of the Applachian trail, haven't you? It basically runs from NH (or Maine?) all the way down to South Carolina or Georgia. I go hiking in the White Mountains of New Hampshire every year with some buddies, and we've run into some folks who are doing the whole trail from time to time in the past. Very cool, but DAMN....

Amnorix
12-01-2005, 09:03 PM
:banghead: Maybe I should read the entire thread before opening my big mouth.

There's a famous book by a guy who did it (famous to hikers, anyway). I haven't read it, but have been meaning to. I'll try to find it and if I do I'll post it here. It's supposed to be the best account of someone who did the trail.

Amnorix
12-01-2005, 09:07 PM
Pretty sure it's "A Walk in the Woods", by Bill Bryson.