StcChief
12-02-2005, 09:02 AM
Gonzo needs a big day against Browncos.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_3270511

Chiefs may take cue from Cowboys

By Bill Williamson
Denver Post Staff Writer
DenverPost.com

Larry Coyer knows he's in a copycat business.

One team has success against you, and the next opponent is going to try to exploit the same potential weakness. It's inevitable.

In this case, the copycats could be the Kansas City Chiefs and star tight end Tony Gonzalez. They may try to emulate the success Dallas had with its tight end in Denver's last game.

"We're going to have to tighten it up," said Coyer, the Broncos' defensive coordinator. "The Chiefs are probably looking at the game film and saying they can do something there."

The something there could be plenty of receptions and yardage from Gonzalez. In Denver's 24-21 overtime victory at Dallas on Thanksgiving Day, the Cowboys' most consistent offensive weapon was Pro Bowl tight end Jason Witten. He had nine catches for 82 yards and a touchdown.

Denver contained the Cowboys' running game, allowing 85 yards on 32 carries, and held quarterback Drew Bledsoe in check despite 44 pass attempts. But if Witten could succeed against Denver's timely, big-play defense, the Broncos are positive the Chiefs will try to unleash Gonzalez.

"Witten is very good. Gonzalez is great." Coyer said. "He was going to get the ball no matter what happened. Now they'll probably try to get him the ball even more."

After a slow start this season, Gonzalez has become a huge part of Kansas City's offense. Gonzalez has teamed with running back Larry Johnson - who has averaged 142 yards rushing the past four games - to carry the Chiefs. Gonzalez has 40 of his 58 catches in the past six games. His lowest yardage total in that stretch was 63 yards on four catches in a 26-16 victory over New England on Sunday.

Gonzalez wasn't much of a factor when the Broncos beat the Chiefs 30-10 in Denver on Sept. 26. Gonzalez, who has only one touchdown catch this season, had five catches for 29 yards against the Broncos.

"We did a good job against him in that game," Coyer said. "But we have to gear up."

For the most part, Denver's defense has been strong against tight ends this season. Before Witten's performance, the Broncos had held tight ends to less than five catches for seven games and hadn't allowed a touchdown to a tight end since the Dolphins' Randy McMichael scored in the season opener.

Broncos safety John Lynch attributes Witten's big day to the tight end's talent, but also to the Cowboys taking what the Broncos gave them. Witten often was open for short yardage; he had just one long reception - 18 yards.

"I'm sure Kansas City will notice it, but it was just how the game plan went," Lynch said. "The game plan changes every week."

There likely will be several defenders on Gonzalez, including linebackers and safeties. Last year, cornerback Champ Bailey was assigned some time on Gonzalez. Whatever the plan is, stopping Gonzalez will be a key goal.

"We all know what Gonzalez can do," rookie cornerback Domonique Foxworth said. "If they come at us with him, we won't be surprised. It's up to us to stop him."

ChiefsCountry
12-02-2005, 09:08 AM
It would be nice to go Tony, but the Donks will try to rape him like normal.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-02-2005, 09:11 AM
Well seeing how Chump is probably going to be covering Tony G, and we all know how GREAT Chump is, Tony G will probably have a bad day.

chagrin
12-02-2005, 09:12 AM
That's nice but let's hope the end result is different for us

Sully
12-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Remember that one time when Leonardo DaVinci tooka cue from Dr Seuss?

Chieficus
12-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Remember that one time when Leonardo DaVinci tooka cue from Dr Seuss?

The Last Supper featuring the Cat in the Hat??? (Or: The Grinch who Betrayed Jesus)

siberian khatru
12-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Tony G vs. Broncos:

2001-03 BC (Before Champ): 6 games, 4.8 receptions/game, 69.6 yards per game.

2004-05 SC (Since Champ): 3 games, 3.3 receptions/game, 30 yards per game.

StcChief
12-02-2005, 09:57 AM
Tony G vs. Broncos:

2001-03 BC (Before Champ): 6 games, 4.8 receptions/game, 69.6 yards per game.

2004-05 SC (Since Champ): 3 games, 3.3 receptions/game, 30 yards per game.

That's OK. I think Tony will do better than 30 yards against the Chump.

We must spread it around first.

Kennison, Parker, BO, Dunn.

siberian khatru
12-02-2005, 10:00 AM
That's OK. I think Tony will do better than 30 yards against the Chump.

We must spread it around first.

Kennison, Parker, BO, Dunn.

You forgot ... THE SECRET WEAPON.

Time to unveil the Chiefs' version of the Manhattan Project.

StcChief
12-02-2005, 10:09 AM

I forgot Kris Wilson.... In my mind whomever/whatever works

redfan
12-02-2005, 11:06 AM
If the Chiefs pass 44 times like the C-grrls, Denver wins.

jspchief
12-02-2005, 11:06 AM
We don't have Drew Bledsoe's arm and Dallas' receivers to stretch the defense like the Cowboys did. Denver will concentrate on Gonzo like always, and Kennison will benefit from it like always. Hopefully Parker will get into it too.

Reaper16
12-02-2005, 11:12 AM
It was last year's drubbing of Denver @ Arrowhead where we saw Sammie Parker look like he really belonged in this league. Maybe his speed can be a factor again on Sun.

Coach
12-02-2005, 11:26 AM
One thing that the Chiefs running game will be more stronger than we played them in Denver, due to that Roaf is back, and that Larry Johnson is running hard.

ptlyon
12-02-2005, 11:33 AM

Does he still play on this team?

redfan
12-02-2005, 11:56 AM

He's so secret, even the Chiefs don't where he is.

jAZ
12-02-2005, 12:11 PM
I don't see KC following in the footsteps of Denver and I don't see Tony having a huge day. Denver has in the past been able to shut down Tony by putting Champ on him. If they go that route, then we will have many other options in our passing game. And I don't think that Denver will be as likely to contain LJ as they were JJ/MB. Especially if Big Willie is back and healthy.

Look for us to keep doing what we do well, which is letting LJ run, run, run and letting Trent make his reads and find the open guy and get some YAC.

Rausch
12-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Gonzo could draw the attention of LBs/S's opening up bigger lanes for LJ.

LJ can draw 8 men in the box and open up stuff deeper down the field for Gonzo.

If we run the ball and use play action I think we can out Denver the Broncos...