PDA

View Full Version : BOOMER - Week 13

DaFace
12-02-2005, 05:03 PM
Dec 02, 2005, 4:49:31 PM

Rookie Diary
Week 13 – December 2, 2005

Last week was a tremendous win. It was a fun game. One of the reasons I liked it so much was because the Patriots put a lot of their starters on special teams. I got to match up against LBs Mike Vrabel and Chad Brown. Brown’s not a starter, but he’s been to Pro Bowls in the past as a starter and now he’s on special teams.

We shut their return game down pretty well. They ran a return that they hadn’t shown all year Sunday against us. They double-teamed Gary Stills of course. Everybody doubles him because he’s such an unbelievable special teams player, and he gets double-teamed more than anyone on the team. So then they brought Monty Beisel from the back, right corner to try to come across the field and light me up. Usually when I’m running down on kickoffs it’s so fast and intense that I’m usually looking at the front three guys in front of me and through them to the ball carrier. Luckily Sunday though I just happen to look to the right, because you have to keep your head on a swivel. Anyway I saw him and I kind of just stopped and let him fly by. I kind of ole’d him and I saw on film that he did a nice Pete Rose slide 10 yards past me. I think he was trying to make a statement since he is from around here and used to play for the Chiefs. He was looking for the big hit, but luckily he missed me. It was one of those moments though where I definitely could have had my helmet and facemask rearranged.

One of the reasons that win over the Patriots was so big was obviously because they’re the defending World Champions. Our coaches preach that they are a championship-caliber team, and it showed in the fact that they never gave up. We were beating them badly early on, but they hung around and made it close in that fourth quarter.

Another thing I observed after the game which I thought was entertaining was the coaches greeting each other after the game. Usually both coaches meet at midfield and exchange a few words and say “good game,” whatever. Well, Coach Vermeil is such a good coach, good people person, he’s won Super Bowls and been around doing public speaking and everything. I noticed after the game that Vermeil stopped and shook Bill Belichick’s hand and just as he was opening his mouth, Belichick shook his hand and ran off in another direction. Coach Vermeil would never say anything about that, but I noticed it and just know my head coach would never do that. Belichick is a wonderful coach with three Super Bowls rings and I’m sure was just upset about the game, but that’s one of the reasons I respect Coach Vermeil so much is that even in losses he’s professional and courteous.

During the week we got a visit from Coach Gansz’s dad, Frank Gansz, Sr. That was amazing. He coached in the NFL for a long time and was even the head coach of the Chiefs for awhile in the late ‘80s. You talk about an inspiration and a guy who knows how to speak to a group of football players… he’s it. He touched on things like believing in yourself and now being the time. He kept saying, “Why can’t you win out the rest of the games. Why can’t you beat all these teams people don’t think you’re supposed to beat.”

Coach Gansz, Sr. told a lot of great stories of famous battles throughout history. In all of his stories the United States was clearly the underdog and the troops were in situations where no one thought winning or even getting out alive was possible. And then he talked of how it ended up being successful and a great moment in history.

I have always kind of had a fascination with trying to become a Navy Seal. I don’t even know if I have the mental capacity to do it, because it’s so much more than strength and athleticism. But I admire them so much. Anyway, I’ve heard this from Coach Gansz, and then now from his father too that they believe, “Inside every human being is an extraordinary person. But until you push yourself that has a lot of truth to it and my life has somewhat proved that on a much smaller scale.

Big game coming up this Sunday – the Denver Broncos. This is an opponent that we owe something. We’re looking at this game like every game because you don’t want to get over-hyped for it. But the very moment the New England game got over, Coach Vermeil addressed it right then in the locker room that our mindset needs to be on taking down the Broncos.

We’ve got a great track record at home in December and we’ve got our own 12th man here with the 80,000 fans. We’ll need them more than ever this week. They don’t realize how much of an impact they have. I also think the defense is going to try to keep the crowd pumped, but not flap the arms right away, waiting to save it until he’s under center. Then when he’s trying to talk and think, the crowd will be eye-splitting. Even Gunther will be doing it from the sidelines… just watch.

I love to hear the crowd, that’s one of my favorite noises in the world. The cheers inspire me. It makes me want to do something great for the fans. Some people play for their family, some people play for themselves, some people play for money, I think I play for a lot of reasons, but one of the big ones is for the people. Not to sound corny, but I play for the people that want to play, the ones who want to feel a part of something. I know there are little kids back in Canton, Illinois who are watching and believe they can be out there one day too. Maybe I watched too many Rocky movies as a kid, but I think what it all comes down to I try to be the People’s Champ.

Now I will run up the steps of Arrowhead to Eye of the Tiger.

Thanks for reading… your buddy,

Boomer

mikey23545
12-02-2005, 05:09 PM
<b>I love to hear the crowd, that’s one of my favorite noises in the world. The cheers inspire me. It makes me want to do something great for the fans. Some people play for their family, some people play for themselves, some people play for money, I think I play for a lot of reasons, but one of the big ones is for the people. Not to sound corny, but I play for the people that want to play, the ones who want to feel a part of something. I know there are little kids back in Canton, Illinois who are watching and believe they can be out there one day too. Maybe I watched too many Rocky movies as a kid, but I think what it all comes down to I try to be the People’s Champ.

Now I will run up the steps of Arrowhead to Eye of the Tiger.

Thanks for reading… your buddy,

Boomer</b>

This guy is unf*cking believable...

Boomer, you're the reason so many of us care about a team so much, care about players we'll probably never meet...

Rain Man
12-02-2005, 05:12 PM
There's nothing like a speech from Frank Gansz, Sr., to inspire the troops. For those of you too young to remember, his special teams in the 80s were the equivalent of the Steel Curtain, the Purple People Eaters, the Doomsday Defense, and the 85 Bears combined. They ruled the primordial plains of the special teams field like Tyrannosaurus Rex. Imagine going 15 years without a playoff appearance, and then getting in with a 24-21 win in the last week of the season .... AND THE SPECIAL TEAMS SCORED ALL THREE TOUCHDOWNS. His head coaching era was a disaster, but I still get a tear in my eye when I think about his special teams.

stevieray
12-02-2005, 05:22 PM
I hope Arrowhead gets as loud as Dante's return in 2003.

As usual, great read.

Katipan
12-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Could you imagine what having a beer with him would be like? ROFL

You're ok, Boomer.

shaneo69
12-02-2005, 05:37 PM
There's nothing like a speech from Frank Gansz, Sr., to inspire the troops. For those of you too young to remember, his special teams in the 80s were the equivalent of the Steel Curtain, the Purple People Eaters, the Doomsday Defense, and the 85 Bears combined. They ruled the primordial plains of the special teams field like Tyrannosaurus Rex. Imagine going 15 years without a playoff appearance, and then getting in with a 24-21 win in the last week of the season .... AND THE SPECIAL TEAMS SCORED ALL THREE TOUCHDOWNS. His head coaching era was a disaster, but I still get a tear in my eye when I think about his special teams.

Those special teams were awesome. And the funny thing was, they really didn't have a punt returner or kick returner worth a damn. J.T. Smith was gone, and Vanover and Dante were not there yet. The points they scored were mainly on kick block returns by the defense.

But more than Gansz, I think it was the players. Even after Gansz left, Albert Lewis had a streak of consecutive games with a punt block when Kurt Schottenheimer was the ST coach. And Lloyd Burruss was a great special teams player as well.

Skip Towne
12-02-2005, 05:52 PM
I remember Ganz's special teams. They were great. His downfall was the fake fighter pilot stories. He got crucified for those. But I wish he would help his kid out a little. Our ST suck.

Rain Man
12-02-2005, 06:10 PM
But more than Gansz, I think it was the players. Even after Gansz left, Albert Lewis had a streak of consecutive games with a punt block when Kurt Schottenheimer was the ST coach. And Lloyd Burruss was a great special teams player as well.

They were truly a team, too. You had Danan Hughes and Todd McNair and Greg Manusky and Bennie Thompson, and they were competing against each other as much as the other team to get down there and make the hit. Those guys were a blast to watch.

Phobia
12-02-2005, 07:32 PM
They double-teamed Gary Stills of course. Everybody doublebs him because he’s such an unbelievable special teams player, and he gets double-teamed more than anyone on the team.

This can't be right. He's not even the best ST player on the Chiefs anymore according to Scanlon's cockpit.

rtmike
12-02-2005, 08:52 PM
I remember Dale Carter returning and Thompson's HITS.

shaneo69
12-02-2005, 08:54 PM
I remember Dale Carter returning and Thompson's HITS.

Yeah, they talk about Stills being a great ST player, but I don't see him making near the plays that Benny used to make. And Thompson used to make the Pro Bowl every year, so I'm sure he was getting double-teamed too.

rtmike
12-02-2005, 09:15 PM
It was tough to watch "offense" then.

AirForceChief
12-02-2005, 11:32 PM
"During the week we got a visit from Coach Gansz’s dad, Frank Gansz, Sr. That was amazing. He coached in the NFL for a long time and was even the head coach of the Chiefs for awhile in the late ‘80s."

Yes, Gansz was the HD coach of the Chiefs. I remember hearing of his hiring, back in the day. I was extremely pumped up for the first Chiefs appearance in the playoffs in well over a decade v. the Jets back in '86 under Coach Mackovik. The Chiefs lose, but that wasn't so uncool, first playoff appearance since the early seventies. Then, during the off season, rumors that there is a team revolt and the speacial teams coach has suceeded Mac. WTF? I couldn't believe it. Didn't keep me from drinking WAY TOO MUCH at Willy C's in Wichita, Ks...complete their drink around the world spectacle, and, in memorium, end up having "Ganz and Blackledge in 87!" engraved in brass and tacked to the bar for all to see. So how did that turn out?

After Google'n this b*tch, I found the following (Props to Georgeblowfish, it's from his site!):

Frank Gansz
A really good special teams coach, a really suck head coach. Record for 1987-1988: 8-22-1. After the Chiefs lost their 1986 playoff game to the Jets (they'd been out of the playoffs for 15 years) a bunch of players headed up by Nick Lowery,went to Chiefs management to get John "Sleepy" Mackovic fired. The players said "Crash should be head coach. We want Crash! Our special teams are good, and he tells the best stories!" At least "Crash" drafted Christian Okoye and Neil Smith under his watch. He also picked pitiful Paul Palmer as a first rounder in 1987. Crash was famous for hyping players up with his riveting "War Stories" about being a blood n guts fighter pilot in the war. Turned out he only flew cargo planes. If he could have kept the press from exposing his "embellishments," he might be head coach at Notre Dame now! His son, "Baby Gansz," is Dick Vermeil's special teams coach. Wonder if Baby Gansz is going to entertain the Chiefs special teamers with stories on how he helped win the Gulf War?

StcChief
12-02-2005, 11:40 PM
Boomer is wide eyed NFL rookie and loving the game.
Got to love watching him mature into a very good player

He's going to be future LB.