PDA

View Full Version : How Many Throw Darts Out There?

Bwana
12-03-2005, 04:34 PM
I started messing around with it and I enjoy it. The problem is, I don't know jack about darts. I figured a dart is a dart but when I threw a friend of mines nice darts.......damn! Like night and day. These guys are all throwing the soft tip darts so what are some decent brands and what do you like for a dart weight? What else should I look for when buying darts?

Donger
12-03-2005, 04:35 PM
I started messing around with it and I enjoy it. The problem is, I don't know jack about darts. I figured a dart is a dart but when I threw a friend of mines nice darts.......damn! Like night and day. These guys are all throwing the soft tip darts so what are some decent brands and what do you like for a dart weight? What else should I look for when buying darts?

My brothers and I used to throw darts at each other. Besides that, sorry, I can't help you.

JBucc
12-03-2005, 04:39 PM
I have a dartboard, but I can't find the darts for it. I guess I'm not much help.

Bwana
12-03-2005, 04:43 PM
Hmm? I just hung a dart board today. I had to go on-line to figure out the legal height for the board and the distance of the throwing line. Right now I have some crap darts and some ok darts. I want to get some nice ones after throwing the set my buddy had. I just don't know where to start and have no idea if they we 16g 18g or 20g darts.

MichaelH
12-03-2005, 04:46 PM
Where I'm from, dart leagues are as popular as bowling leagues. I love to play, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be very helpful. I use whatever is at the bar and the set I used to own got chewed apart by a puppy years ago.

jspchief
12-03-2005, 04:56 PM
Go to Mueller's (http://www.poolndarts.com/) and get a catalog.

They have a great selection of darts and accessories.

Even the good darts are reasonably priced. If you can't try out different kinds of your friends, just pick some that you like. If you're just getting started, you haven't really set yourself into a preference yet. Chances are, whichever darts you get and learn with will be the darts that feel most comfortable to you.

I have about 8 different sets now, finally narrowing it down to the best combo for me, but for the most part my best darts are whichever ones I've gotten myself used to.

WisChief
12-03-2005, 05:00 PM
I think this guy does

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/customavatars/avatar126_4.gif

:shrug:

Bwana
12-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Go to Mueller's (http://www.poolndarts.com/) and get a catalog.

They have a great selection of darts and accessories.

Even the good darts are reasonably priced. If you can't try out different kinds of your friends, just pick some that you like. If you're just getting started, you haven't really set yourself into a preference yet. Chances are, whichever darts you get and learn with will be the darts that feel most comfortable to you.

I have about 8 different sets now, finally narrowing it down to the best combo for me, but for the most part my best darts are whichever ones I've gotten myself used to.

Nice, which weight do you like jsp?

Bwana
12-03-2005, 05:01 PM
I think this guy does

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/customavatars/avatar126_4.gif

:shrug:

Yeah, I know Bob does, but he's missing in action right now. :banghead:

WisChief
12-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Yeah, I know Bob does, but he's missing in action right now. :banghead:

I's just bee'n a smart ass. :p

Bwana
12-03-2005, 05:06 PM
I's just bee'n a smart ass. :p

I know.......nlm :D

Skip Towne
12-03-2005, 05:12 PM
I darted to the bathroom.

WisChief
12-03-2005, 05:12 PM
I've got both a soft tip board and a metal tip and I've got two sets of darts - I can just put the tips on either shaft depending on the board / people I'm throwing with. I've got 18g and 20g and I'll go back and forth between the two weights for no reasons at all - just me I guess. ??

Maybe the only thing that might be of help is to be sure and get the tiny little o rings tha go from the tip to the shaft (or other connections) - these keep the tips from getting loose on every throw.

Not much help I know, but....

jspchief
12-03-2005, 05:13 PM
Nice, which weight do you like jsp?I like 16g with a narrow barrel, but it probably has more to do with personal preference.

If I had to suggest a weight for a beginner, I'd say 18g is the obvious choice just because it's the middle ground.

I also use a uniform barrel, but a beginner might do better with a barrel with finger indentations, just so you get a consistent gripping point.

This (http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm/fuseAction/Catalog.Product/productID/5330.cfm?CFID=1474581&CFTOKEN=689eb4be00ce62e6-F2D2EDC2-D61C-4F06-BCC4EE4DA553E050) is close to my setup, but my barrel is shorter and I have a longer steel wire shaft (http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/Catalog.Category/categoryID/207.cfm?CFID=1474581&CFTOKEN=689eb4be00ce62e6-F2D2EDC2-D61C-4F06-BCC4EE4DA553E050), with slim flights.

I recommend buying a cheaper set for your first set. You can get something good for $20-25. Then you can start tweaking by changing shafts and flights.

Get the catalog from Muellers. It's easier to see the different styles than their website. Make sure and order extra flights, because they get torn up pretty quickly, and always have extra tips.

Bwana
12-03-2005, 05:20 PM
I like 16g with a narrow barrel, but it probably has more to do with personal preference.

If I had to suggest a weight for a beginner, I'd say 18g is the obvious choice just because it's the middle ground.

I also use a uniform barrel, but a beginner might do better with a barrel with finger indentations, just so you get a consistent gripping point.

This (http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm/fuseAction/Catalog.Product/productID/5330.cfm?CFID=1474581&CFTOKEN=689eb4be00ce62e6-F2D2EDC2-D61C-4F06-BCC4EE4DA553E050) is close to my setup, but my barrel is shorter and I have a longer steel wire shaft (http://www.poolndarts.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/Catalog.Category/categoryID/207.cfm?CFID=1474581&CFTOKEN=689eb4be00ce62e6-F2D2EDC2-D61C-4F06-BCC4EE4DA553E050), with slim flights.

I recommend buying a cheaper set for your first set. You can get something good for $20-25. Then you can start tweaking by changing shafts and flights.

Get the catalog from Muellers. It's easier to see the different styles than their website. Make sure and order extra flights, because they get torn up pretty quickly, and always have extra tips.

Good stuff thanks! BTW: What is "Tungsten"? I keep reading about how darts are a various % of Tungsten.

redbrian
12-03-2005, 05:28 PM
Good stuff thanks! BTW: What is "Tungsten"? I keep reading about how darts are a various % of Tungsten.

Tungsten is a metal that is heavy.

They can make a more slender dart out of tungsten than the same weight can be made out of brass.

Used to have a real nice set of tungsten darts when I was stationed in England, lost them one night somewhere between my house and the pub.

I think they fell out of my pocket when I fell in the ditch (for some reason the road kept moving on me).

Bwana
12-03-2005, 05:31 PM
Tungsten is a metal that is heavy.

They can make a more slender dart out of tungsten than the same weight can be made out of brass.

Used to have a real nice set of tungsten darts when I was stationed in England, lost them one night somewhere between my house and the pub.

I think they fell out of my pocket when I fell in the ditch (for some reason the road kept moving on me).

Cool, thanks for it information bud.

Eleazar
12-03-2005, 05:38 PM
For a while I played a lot. You'll notice a huge difference between the disposable bar darts and even an entry level set of your own. I bought one for about $20 at a sporting goods store and was real happy with it.

(till I left it on the table at the bar and went home after owning them for like a month)

Bwana
12-03-2005, 05:59 PM
I ordered a set of thse and got them for $24.99. I think they will work fine.

Black Widow 18g

Black Knurled soft tip darts, 18 grams. They have a double coated, Knurled (rough) barrel for durability and grip. They come in a felt lined deluxe case with aluminum shafts, extra tips, and o-rings.

Bwana
12-03-2005, 06:01 PM
For a while I played a lot. You'll notice a huge difference between the disposable bar darts and even an entry level set of your own.

No kidding. Like I said, I figured a dart was a dart until I threw his. A LOT more precise to say the least.

WisChief
12-03-2005, 06:05 PM
I ordered a set of thse and got them for $24.99. I think they will work fine.

Black Widow 18g

Black Knurled soft tip darts, 18 grams. They have a double coated, Knurled (rough) barrel for durability and grip. They come in a felt lined deluxe case with aluminum shafts, extra tips, and o-rings.

those'll work! :thumb:

Eleazar
12-03-2005, 06:10 PM
No kidding. Like I said, I figured a dart was a dart until I threw his. A LOT more precise to say the least.

I guess it follows that a nice, new metal dart would be better than the ones I pick up at the local place, that have tips bent in the shape of a U, and the fins look like they were chewed on by a litter of puppies, but I never thought the difference would be as big as it was.

HemiEd
12-03-2005, 07:00 PM
After reading the thread, sounds like you have the information you were looking for. To answer the thread title, I used to throw every night serioulsy before the electronic darts. The highlight was shooting in a Big tournament that all of the Pros showed up for. It is a great drinking game, enjoy.

cadmonkey
12-03-2005, 07:00 PM
I love darts. I hustled so guy one night for close to $300. I thought for sure he was gonna kill me.

trndobrd
12-03-2005, 07:14 PM

Bwana
12-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Daddy like but my wife would be a little upset with the holes in the wall. :)