PDA

View Full Version : Impressions from Arrowhead

Eleazar
12-04-2005, 08:41 PM
Today was a great day at Arrowhead. One of the best days I've had out there.

For one thing, the crowd was loud. It's been loud at times recently, but this game and the Raiders game were loud like I remember from 10 years or so ago. I saw a lot more of people beating on chairs and making noise than normal, and the crowd was a lot better about making noise when Denver was in the huddle today too. That's something that hasn't been going on for a while in my recollection, but it seemed like today most of the time, Denver would close in to huddle and that's when the crowd would start making noise.

I've never been so freaking cold.

Lots of Broncos fans today. With the exception of the Steelers game in 2003, maybe the most road fans I have seen at Arrowhead. Didn't see any trouble from any of them. They seem like a more mature (older) group and more prone to be respectful than Raiders fans or what have you. Most of them left after the 4th down challenge, you could look down to the lower deck and see them streaming up the stairs.

The D really stepped it up in the second half. Not only allowing fewer yards, but you could tell they were more fired up. They were motioning to the crowd to get loud a lot more, and they were coming off the field looking more energetic and fired up, especially after a nice play.

Sims got quite a few snaps it looked like, and got him a little. Glad to have you back, Ryan.

Trent made some great throws on crossing routes over the middle. It really stands out in person, where a wideout makes a cut right when the ball is thrown and the receiver is outside the numbers, then he has to run all the way to the hashmarks and the ball is right on the money. Only terrible throw I can remember was skipping one to someone on the goal line. Thought he looked really sharp.

Tough running by Larry. You could see him pushing through holes, and he had arms across his chest on every play, but as long as there was a hole he hit it and got his yards. Only time they stopped him seemed like when the play was stacked up by the whole defense and there was no hole for him to go to.

Great win. Energetic crowd. It felt like the old days there today. Marquee win of the Vermeil era, IMO. Glad I could be part of it.

If you throw out the first few weeks of the year - think about it. The D has really shaped up. The O is more than capable. Might be the best Chiefs team we've seen in quite a few years right now.

Sky's the limit.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Wasn't at the game but it seemed to be pretty loud. The game that was on before it (Shitsburgh) crowd was loud and then when our game came on it seemed like CBS turned down the background noise and raised the announcers mikes. But you could still tell it was pretty loud. You guys at the game probably helped more than you know.

keg in kc
12-04-2005, 08:50 PM
One of the local postgame shows (610 I think, I only listened for 30 seconds or so) mentioned that CBS made a decision to turn the crowd mics at arrowhead down after the decibles at the game last week.

chiefqueen
12-04-2005, 08:52 PM
Wasn't at the game but it seemed to be pretty loud. The game that was on before it (Shitsburgh) crowd was loud and then when our game came on it seemed like CBS turned down the background noise and raised the announcers mikes. But you could still tell it was pretty loud. You guys at the game probably helped more than you know.

You know C:BS: wouldn't let crowd noise drown out Phil Simms praises on Plummer and Shanahan.

Dunit35
12-04-2005, 08:53 PM
Its like 5 degrees here in Hays. I bet people were freezing their asses off today.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-04-2005, 08:54 PM
One of the local postgame shows (610 I think, I only listened for 30 seconds or so) mentioned that CBS made a decision to turn the crowd mics at arrowhead down after the decibles at the game last week.

I could tell. Especially from watching the previous game and hearing how loud that crowd was. I knew there was no way that the Ketchup stadium crowd was louder than ours. You could see all of the fans in the crowd animated but there wasn't as much noise as you would think seeing all of those red shirts going apeshit crazy.

Eleazar
12-04-2005, 08:54 PM
Its like 5 degrees here in Hays. I bet people were freezing their asses off today.

It was COLD. I was at the Bears game a few years ago where I had to kick snow out of my seat, and I was warmer than today. The wind made it miserable in the upper deck.

Hammock Parties
12-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Maybe you can answer this:

On Kennison's 54 yard TD, it appeared Samie Parker had burned a linebacker down the middle of the field and was wide open. True?

Also, on Rod Smith's attempted WR pass, it looked like the WR was wide open and had burned Surtain.

epitome1170
12-04-2005, 08:56 PM
This was the first game I have ever been to at Arrowhead. I have to say TV doesn't do it justice. This is the most fun I have ever had at any sporting event. I want to give a huge thanks to Luz for the tickets. I owe you big time.

keg in kc
12-04-2005, 08:56 PM
I was at the denver game at arrowhead back in december of 2001, when T-Rich ran for like 150 yards. Sat in the shade, snow on the ground, and I think it was about 12 degrees that day.

But I bet today was worse, getting dark and all. Brutal.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-04-2005, 08:57 PM

On Kennison's 54 yard TD, it appeared Samie Parker had burned a linebacker down the middle of the field and was wide open. True?

Also, on Rod Smith's attempted WR pass, it looked like the WR was wide open and had burned Surtain.

I noticed that too, it did look like Surtain had his back to the play and was just running down the field trying to catch up to the receiver. Good thing is was Smith and not Plummer with the ball because that probably would've been a catch.

Eleazar
12-04-2005, 08:58 PM

I didn't see either way.

I was in the end zone, and tended to watch where Green was looking down the field. I don't normally sit there, but it was cool to be able to see down the passing lanes.

It looked from where I was (opposite end of the field) like he was momentarily open but there was someone else in the secondary who would have been close enough to move in and break up the play. In real time I thought Smith decided to eat the ball instead of throwing it up.

Wa-Z
12-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Yea it was a fun game to be at, it was nice to see that our field didn't look like complete shit...they must've painted it or something

ChiefsCountry
12-04-2005, 09:00 PM
Ahh its CBS's that makes Arrowhead seem quieter this year, those bastards.

Eleazar
12-04-2005, 09:02 PM
Yea it was a fun game to be at, it was nice to see that our field didn't look like complete shit...they must've painted it or something

I heard (just from some yahoo in the parking lot, so take it with a grain of salt) that they just painted the middle of the field, and this coming week new sod was going in because of the longer road trip. .

keg in kc
12-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Yea it was a fun game to be at, it was nice to see that our field didn't look like complete shit...they must've painted it or somethingThey did.

Apparently the story last week was that New England requested that we not paint the field because it would stain their uniforms. (seriously)

Earlier in the season, I believe we had to pay to clean the Raiders uniforms for them following their game here for that reason. Apparently it's some kind of NFL rule.

donkhater
12-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Yes the guy was open, but I think Surtain could have made a play on it if Smith threw it. With the defense bearing down on him, it could have been a rainbow--easy pick off. Good decision by R. Smith IMO.

Trent's 2nd INT was another bad throw. Now where near Horn. Tough to complain though, when he gets time like today, he's as good as any in the NFL.

Wa-Z
12-04-2005, 09:06 PM
Yes the guy was open, but I think Surtain could have made a play on it if Smith threw it. With the defense bearing down on him, it could have been a rainbow--easy pick off. Good decision by R. Smith IMO.

Trent's 2nd INT was another bad throw. Now where near Horn. Tough to complain though, when he gets time like today, he's as good as any in the NFL.

I knew he would throw another INT...it felt like when one team did one thing the other did the same thing IMO, except of course scoring the last TD :)

ChiefsfaninPA
12-04-2005, 09:06 PM

That pick reminded me of the Lito Shepard pick against the Eagles. If he would've returned that that could've been a game changer.