PDA

View Full Version : Kick offs.

HemiEd
12-04-2005, 10:38 PM
I have been a Tynes supporter but what the hell is wrong with his kickoffs? They seem to be getting shorter to me.

KChiefsQT
12-04-2005, 10:46 PM
Short and they aren't hanging in the air either. After we got that extra 15 yards on the kickoff i was certain he'd get more distance. But... NOOOOOOO!!

Sure-Oz
12-04-2005, 10:47 PM
he keeps making field goals il be happy with his kickoffs, atleast he hasnt kicked it out of bounds like some douchebag we had.

Dunit35
12-04-2005, 10:47 PM
Short and they aren't hanging in the air either. After we got that extra 15 yards on the kickoff i was certain he'd get more distance. But... NOOOOOOO!!

No kidding, I couldnt believe he couldnt kick it into the back of the endzone.

HemiEd
12-04-2005, 10:48 PM
he keeps making field goals il be happy with his kickoffs, atleast he hasnt kicked it out of bounds like some douchebag we had.

I am starting to wonder if he isn't a little gimped up. :hmmm:

tk13
12-04-2005, 10:49 PM
No kidding, I couldnt believe he couldnt kick it into the back of the endzone.
I believe the wind was blowing in his face from that direction. At least that's what they were saying. That's why Shanahan said he didn't kick the FG at the end of the first half... the wind coming in from that end.

HemiEd
12-04-2005, 10:54 PM
That makes sense, I had forgotten about that non-field goal of the Broncos. Didn't his kicks from the other direction seem shorter as well? Maybe that was a strategy to help the tacklers, I don't know.

KChiefsQT
12-04-2005, 10:56 PM
That makes sense, I had forgotten about that non-field goal of the Broncos. Didn't his kicks from the other direction seem shorter as well? Maybe that was a strategy to help the tacklers, I don't know.
I'd like to know how many of his kickoffs have gone into the endzone this year...

Mojo Rising
12-04-2005, 10:57 PM
Denver's kick-offs were falling short as well and their Punter was kicking so Elam's calf injury can't be blamed for those.

Skip Towne
12-04-2005, 11:01 PM
I don't think he wanted it in the endzone on the penalty kickoff. He wanted it high and come down at the goalline. He did exactly that. Our kickoff coverage is pathetic. I blame Scanlon.

HemiEd
12-04-2005, 11:01 PM
I'd like to know how many of his kickoffs have gone into the endzone this year...

I would bet someone on here could tell you but not me. I am thrilled with his field goals but the kick offs could sure be improved.

Deberg_1990
12-04-2005, 11:03 PM
IM starting to think that Arrowhead itself might be part of the problems for our kickers in recent history.

Skip Towne
12-04-2005, 11:03 PM
I would bet someone on here could tell you but not me. I am thrilled with his field goals but the kick offs could sure be improved.
I'd be happy to explain it to her one on one if she was naked.

Hammock Parties
12-04-2005, 11:05 PM
Arrowhead has always been tough to kick in late in the year. Sauerbrun's kickoffs weren't that impressive either.

Tynes nailed his FG! :)

HemiEd
12-04-2005, 11:07 PM
I don't think he wanted it in the endzone on the penalty kickoff. He wanted it high and come down at the goalline. He did exactly that. Our kickoff coverage is pathetic. I blame Scanlon.

I mentioned earlier that it might be a purposeful strategy, you could be right.
where are the Roys?

IM starting to think that Arrowhead itself might be part of the problems for our kickers in recent history.

That is an interesting idea, could be. Do you think it is the sod or the wind swirling? I have not been there in quite a while.

WilliamTheIrish
12-04-2005, 11:10 PM
I have been a Tynes supporter but what the hell is wrong with his kickoffs? They seem to be getting shorter to me.

Nothing is wrong with Tynes. It's December. The Kballs do not fly as far cold weather.

It doesn't matter who is doing the kicking, the ball is not going to the goal line in Arrowhead in December.

We have this same thread every year. We have the same thread in the pre season when we see some FA PK drive one 5 yards deep in the EZ in August.

HemiEd
12-04-2005, 11:12 PM
Arrowhead has always been tough to kick in late in the year. Sauerbrun's kickoffs weren't that impressive either.

Tynes nailed his FG! :)

Yes he did, I was sitting there sweating, and was really relieved when that thing went through. He has gotta be close to leading the scoring for kickers, he has been money. I am looking for more out of Tynes than Sauerbrun, maybe unfairly.

Deberg_1990
12-04-2005, 11:15 PM
It doesn't matter who is doing the kicking, the ball is not going to the goal line in Arrowhead in December.

Im gonna have to bust out my tapes and see how far Lowry's kickoff's used to go in some of those December/January games.

keg in kc
12-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Lowery wasn't kicking a k-ball, his kickoffs are irrelevant.

HemiEd
12-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Nothing is wrong with Tynes. It's December. The Kballs do not fly as far cold weather.

We have this same thread every year. We have the same thread in the pre season when we see some FA PK drive one 5 yards deep in the EZ in August.

Good, you answered my question, thanks!

WilliamTheIrish
12-04-2005, 11:18 PM
Lowry wasn't kicking a k-ball, his kickoffs are irrelevant.

You beat me to it.

Skip Towne
12-04-2005, 11:20 PM
You beat me to it.
Hell, everybody beats you. You're retarted.

Deberg_1990
12-04-2005, 11:23 PM
Lowery wasn't kicking a k-ball, his kickoffs are irrelevant.

Whats the difference?

jspchief
12-04-2005, 11:30 PM
The kick-offs even got shorter as the game wore on and the temps dropped, for both teams. The cold was definately a factor.

That being said, Tynes has never been a great KO guy.

alanm
12-04-2005, 11:32 PM

When it's as cold as it was today the ball feels like you're kicking off with a brick. Balls just don't fly as far when it's cold out. That and it was fairly windy. I'd of been happier if he could have hit them down to the 10 on a consistant basis. I had to check to see if Morten Andersen hadn't slipped back into the stadium. ROFL

keg in kc
12-04-2005, 11:33 PM
Whats the difference?You don't know what a k-ball is?

Deberg_1990
12-04-2005, 11:34 PM
When it's as cold as it was today the ball feels like you're kicking off with a brick. Balls just don't fly as far when it's cold out. That and it was fairly windy.

So in other words, what your saying is "Lin Elliott, all is forgiven...."

Deberg_1990
12-04-2005, 11:34 PM
You don't know what a k-ball is?

Ive heard of it, but ive never heard the actual difference between that and the old ball.

alanm
12-04-2005, 11:35 PM
The kick-offs even got shorter as the game wore on and the temps dropped, for both teams. The cold was definately a factor.

He's been a pretty consistant goal line to the 10 yrd guy with his KO's. Which isn't bad.

HemiEd
12-04-2005, 11:36 PM
Whats the difference?

They are virgins, nobody has broken them in IIRC.

That is what I noticed, and the weather was not apparent on the tube. I bet you people got pretty cold out there today.

alanm
12-04-2005, 11:37 PM
So in other words, what your saying is "Lin Elliott, all is forgiven...."
Tynes hit his FG's today. :thumb:

jspchief
12-04-2005, 11:40 PM
He's been a pretty consistant goal line to the 10 yrd guy with his KO's. Which isn't bad.Line drives with no hang time.

He's an average kick-off guy at best, in prime conditions. In adverse conditions, he's below average. I'm not hating, just being realistic. It's a weak point in his game.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
12-04-2005, 11:40 PM
Coverage sucked. Too many missed tackles

HemiEd
12-04-2005, 11:42 PM
Coverage sucked. Too many missed tackles

Skiptowne said it was Scanlon's fault. :Scanlon:

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
12-04-2005, 11:43 PM
Skiptowne said it was Scanlon's fault. :Scanlon:
it was...

alanm
12-04-2005, 11:49 PM
Line drives with no hang time.

He's an average kick-off guy at best, in prime conditions. In adverse conditions, he's below average. I'm not hating, just being realistic. It's a weak point in his game.
To be honest I thought his kickoffs sucked today. Cold or not he should have been hitting them inside the 10 yrd line. Plus the coverage teams still suck. Special teams are going to cost us a game yet if they don't get off their ass and start learning how to tackle. It seems to me that they keep hanging back and waiting for the return guy come to them instead of attacking and playing agressive.

WilliamTheIrish
12-04-2005, 11:49 PM
Ive heard of it, but ive never heard the actual difference between that and the old ball.

Do you remember back a few years ago in college when guys like Steve Little and others had what was known as "pet"balls?

These were balls that were ragged, used balls (made them soft) and usually overinflated so that when kicked they had some give against the foot. Little used "pet" balls to parlay himself into the #1 draft pick of the Cardinals in 1980 (or thereabouts)

Prior to the K balls, NFL kickers would routinely overinflate used balls or (supposedly) inflate them with helium (to make them lighter).

Remember the story about Nick Lowery when he was with the Jets? He was accused of slapping a Jets ball boy who refused Lowry's request to take his practice balls and place them in the warmer the Jets kept on the sideline.

Kickers used to do all kinds of shiot to the balls in order to make them fly farther.

The NFL got wise, and introduced the K ball system.

Field position from KO's increased by about 10 yards after the initial K ball season.

HemiEd
12-04-2005, 11:50 PM
Line drives with no hang time.

Off subject but how about that key catch to keep the drive alive by Kris Wilson today!

PastorMikH
12-04-2005, 11:52 PM
I'm wondering if part of the problem is the horrid kickoff coverage we've had. If he kicks it deep, our coverage is so spread out and our tackling so poor that the return is longer maybe even for points. ST does need some upgrade in talent.

alanm
12-04-2005, 11:55 PM
Do you remember back a few years ago in college when guys like Steve Little and others had what was known as "pet"balls?

These were balls that were ragged, used balls (made them soft) and usually overinflated so that when kicked they had some give against the foot. Little used "pet" balls to parlay himself into the #1 draft pick of the Cardinals in 1980 (or thereabouts)

Prior to the K balls, NFL kickers would routinely overinflate used balls or (supposedly) inflate them with helium (to make them lighter).

Remember the story about Nick Lowery when he was with the Jets? He was accused of slapping a Jets ball boy who refused Lowry's request to take his practice balls and place them in the warmer the Jets kept on the sideline.

Kickers used to do all kinds of shiot to the balls in order to make them fly farther.

The NFL got wise, and introduced the K ball system.

Field position from KO's increased by about 10 yards after the initial K ball season.

Actually the K Ball is a little smaller and slightly fatter then the ball that the offenses use during play. I think it's a couple of oz's heavier also.

HemiEd
12-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Actually the K Ball is a little smaller and slightly fatter then the ball that the offenses use during play. I think it's a couple of oz's heavier also.

I did not know this, but WilliamTheIrish did jog some old memories with what he said. :hmmm:

alanm
12-05-2005, 12:00 AM
I'm wondering if part of the problem is the horrid kickoff coverage we've had. If he kicks it deep, our coverage is so spread out and our tackling so poor that the return is longer maybe even for points. ST does need some upgrade in talent.
Losing Caver, Beisel, Blaylock, Barber, Fujita, Bohrigter(who was inactive I believe) and a few others I'm guessing and you can tell we've lost a lot of talent on special teams. :(

HemiEd
12-05-2005, 12:07 AM
Do they use the "K Ball" on extra points, field goals and punts too?

Coach
12-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Well, at least we're glad that we don't have Mort Anderson anymore.

I shudder to think how far the KO's could have been if Mort was actually kicking for us. *shudders*

Marty Mac Ver 2.0
12-05-2005, 12:33 AM
cold weather = short kickoffs because of the new ball rule

HemiEd
12-05-2005, 07:43 AM
Well, at least we're glad that we don't have Mort Anderson anymore.

I shudder to think how far the KO's could have been if Mort was actually kicking for us. *shudders*

Yep, Tynes is much better. Morton is out of football entirely now right?