PDA

View Full Version : Is Wellbourne becoming the RT that we hoped he would be last year?

Kylo Ren
12-05-2005, 08:42 AM
He's had a couple of good games. Maybe he will finally solidify that RT spot? Then, next year, if Big Willie retires (I hope to God that he doesn't), we'll only have to find a LT and not a RT also.

Sully
12-05-2005, 08:45 AM
He'll probably be our RG next year.

Gaz
12-05-2005, 08:45 AM
I expect he will move to Shield’s Guard spot.

xoxo~
Gaz
Confessing that he lacks a credible source for that theory.

TRR
12-05-2005, 09:04 AM
Welbourn is more of a natural guard, but he was hurt all of last season. Posters blasted him for last seasons play....but they didn't realize that his knee wasn't fully recovered.

Welbourn has always been a solid pro. He really anchored the Eagles line for a couple of years, moving from position to position because of injuries.

the Talking Can
12-05-2005, 09:19 AM
as noted, he'll probably move to RG...but he played well and we ran right a lot yesterday, even for a TD...and that is good news

Kylo Ren
12-05-2005, 10:31 AM
Personally, if Wellbourne can solidify our RT spot, I'd rather search for an OG than a RT. Also, it's not 100% that Shields will retire. I know it's likely, but you never know. If he does retire, we'll need to replace an OG or a RT. I think a good RT is harder to find than a good OG.

DeepSouth
12-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Since Black hasn't looked that great at OT, maybe he could play better at guard?

And, there's still Sampson in the mix.

JimNasium
12-05-2005, 10:48 AM
Personally, if Wellbourne can solidify our RT spot, I'd rather search for an OG than a RT. Also, it's not 100% that Shields will retire. I know it's likely, but you never know. If he does retire, we'll need to replace an OG or a RT. I think a good RT is harder to find than a good OG.
Sampson is our RT although we can write this season off. Welbourne is our RG. My biggest concern is and remains LT. I hope Roaf decides to stick around for another year or two.

Mr. Laz
12-05-2005, 01:27 PM
He's had a couple of good games. Maybe he will finally solidify that RT spot? Then, next year, if Big Willie retires (I hope to God that he doesn't), we'll only have to find a LT and not a RT also.
he's playing alot better now that his knee is healthy

what he lacks in foot speed he makes up for with power.

that fact that Larry Johnson has more power plays also helps a ton.

if we were still running all those stretch sweep plays with holmes Welbourn would still be a weakness imo.

i wonder whether we need to change our Center position with LJ back there now. Get a bigger guy with more power for the inside running game.

B_Ambuehl
12-05-2005, 01:41 PM
Welbourn lacking foot speed?? Have you seen that guy come off the line? Welbourn is a freak in the running game and destroys people with damn near the same regularity as Waters, who's performance borders on ungodly.

That reminds me. I need to start a thread on Waters.

Kylo Ren
12-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Sampson is our RT although we can write this season off. Welbourne is our RG. My biggest concern is and remains LT. I hope Roaf decides to stick around for another year or two. What happened to Sampson? Where is he? Is he in the doghouse? Is he injured? He fell of the edge of the earth and dissappeared. Ever since that "incident" in Syracuse, the guy has been invisible. Has Vermiel ever addressed this issue?

CoMoChief
12-05-2005, 02:16 PM
I heard Roaf was gonna play another couple years, but that was before the hammy injury so now Im not too sure. Shields is a gonner no doubt after this season, which is sad. Shields is a definate HOF'er and is certainly an individual in which kids can look up to. Only a certain few in this league can play as long as he can and is as durable during that time frame. Shields should be inducted into the Ring Of Fame the minute he's retired.

Frankie
12-05-2005, 02:33 PM
He'll probably be our RG next year.If he solidifies the RT position, look for Black to be groomed for LG.

sedated
12-05-2005, 02:42 PM
The hammy injury might keep Roaf fresh enough, and motivated enough, to play next year.

He has played better and better every year he's been here, seen no decline.

But age sets in quickly in the sports world...

JimNasium
12-05-2005, 02:53 PM
What happened to Sampson? Where is he? Is he in the doghouse? Is he injured? He fell of the edge of the earth and dissappeared. Ever since that "incident" in Syracuse, the guy has been invisible. Has Vermiel ever addressed this issue?
This is all I know (http://www.allsports.com/network/content?site=1065&story=56253)

Chiefs T Sampson hospitalized

By Ticker Story
October 7, 2005

KANSAS CITY, Missouri (Ticker) - Kansas City Chiefs tackle Kevin Sampson remains in a New Jersey hospital after apparently suffering a seizure, a team spokesman confirmed on Friday.

The Jersey Journal in Jersey City reported that Sampson was admitted to the emergency room of St. Mary's Hospital in New Jersey on Thursday and was passing in and out of consciousness.

The 24-year-old Sampson returned to his New Jersey home after Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil gave the players a week off going into a bye.

The newspaper reported that Sampson called 911 from his Hoboken, New Jersey apartment on Thursday morning and collapsed when an ambulance arrived.

The 6-4, 312-pound Sampson made his first start at right tackle last week in the Chiefs' 37-31 loss to Philadelphia.

A native of Westwood, New Jersey, Sampson started 24 of 44 games at Syracuse and was selected in the seventh round of the 2004 draft by Kansas City.

JimNasium
12-05-2005, 02:57 PM
I just did a further search and he's had a rash of illnesses and injuries this year. Like I said, mark this season as a loss.

patteeu
12-05-2005, 03:08 PM
i wonder whether we need to change our Center position with LJ back there now. Get a bigger guy with more power for the inside running game.

I was wondering the same thing. I think it makes sense. Do you have any idea what the status of Weigman's contract is?

Tribal Warfare
12-05-2005, 03:17 PM
My biggest concern is and remains LT. I hope Roaf decides to stick around for another year or two.

This years crop of OT's in the draft is deep of top tier talent such as Eric Winston, Marcus McNeill, and Jonathon Scott. One of these players will be their when KC's pick comes up in the first round.

Mr. Laz
12-05-2005, 03:21 PM
I was wondering the same thing. I think it makes sense. Do you have any idea what the status of Weigman's contract is?
no ... i'll look it up

here it is: 2 yrs left, but the last couple years have a jump in base salary.

Wiegmann, Casey
OL (#62)
Kansas City Chiefs
Overland Park, KS

Salary History

2001 500000.00
2002 700000.00
2003 1,500,000.00
2004 1,300,000.00
2005 665000.00
2006 1,600,000.00
2007 2,435,000.00

http://www.nflpa.org/Members/playerProfile.asp?ID=24121

Hydrae
12-05-2005, 03:24 PM
What, you want Bober at center?

Mr. Laz
12-05-2005, 03:35 PM
What, you want Bober at center?
who said anything about Bober??

we're merely looking ahead at the fact the wiegmann was great for priest holmes because he could pull effectively.

now we are tending to do more pounding up the middle ... which doesn't suit the smallish Wiegmann nearly as well.

Kylo Ren
12-05-2005, 03:37 PM
Svitek!!!

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 03:44 PM
as noted, he'll probably move to RG...but he played well and we ran right a lot yesterday, even for a TD...and that is good newsYes, that was good to see, also loved LJ's patience.

Hydrae
12-05-2005, 03:52 PM
who said anything about Bober??

we're merely looking ahead at the fact the wiegmann was great for priest holmes because he could pull effectively.

now we are tending to do more pounding up the middle ... which doesn't suit the smallish Wiegmann nearly as well.

Actually, Bober is the backup center right now. I just don't know who else we currently have to put in there that would give up more size up the middle.

Mr. Laz
12-05-2005, 03:57 PM
Actually, Bober is the backup center right now. I just don't know who else we currently have to put in there that would give up more size up the middle.
actually i was thinking more for this coming offseason and NEXT year.

not making any kind of switch now

Frankie
12-05-2005, 05:54 PM
Svitek!!!
Bless you....