PDA

View Full Version : Defense Thoughts...

Gaz
12-05-2005, 01:38 PM
We gave up long plays on a swing pass and a bootleg pass. Wesley whiffed awfully on one play and the Chiefs bit hard on the play fake on the other. Typical of the Chiefs D.

However, they got it together after that debacle. I saw a couple of time when Plummer came out of his bootleg move and had a Chiefs player in his path. We missed on a few sacks and Plummer made some great plays to escape, but he was contained for the most part. A good job by the D. Not a great job, but a good job.

The run D was pretty good. Bell tore off a few 10-yarders near the end of the game, but for the most part, the Chiefs held down the Broncos run game.

I continue to be impressed with Mitchell. He has truly grown into the MLB position.

Johnson’s sack of Plummer was a joy to behold. Hit him low, raise up, drive him down. Sweet.

4th & 1: Was that a great play or what? That is the kind of Defensive stand that will occupy a warm place in my memory, along with Gunther’s relentless blitzing of Todd Collins when Buffalo had 1st & goal or when the Raiders WR was stopped just short of the goal line to preserve a victory. And the drama over the absurd spot and eventual overturning only heightened the thrill.

Color me a happy Defensive Homer this morning. The D was not perfect, but they were pretty darn good and I am content with that for now.

xoxo~
Gaz
Afterglowing just a bit.

Crush
12-05-2005, 01:41 PM
It's good to stop the number one rushing attack in football on 4th and 1.

Andoverer
12-05-2005, 01:54 PM
And the drama over the absurd spot and eventual overturning only heightened the thrill.

Yeah that little twist of the dagger was worth the price of admission alone.

Warrior5
12-05-2005, 02:01 PM

Absolutely...stuffing the #1 rushing O on 4th and 1 when they absolutely had to have it...

Priceless.

CoMoChief
12-05-2005, 02:05 PM
Absolutely...stuffing the #1 rushing O on 4th and 1 when they absolutely had to have it...

Priceless.

Oh but Donk fans will tell you it was a first down and that they got robbed by the officials. This is what I have to say to that...

:deevee: WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!

BigLefty05
12-05-2005, 02:09 PM
All that I keep saying...is BLITZ...I love watching it.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-05-2005, 02:09 PM
Gaz i thought the defense did a great job at adjusting to what the donks were doing. when they stuffed that reverse pass to start the 2nd half i knew the D was gonna come up big.

Bugeater
12-05-2005, 02:12 PM
I'd still like to know what the f*ck that ref saw to make him think he was correctly spotting the ball.

HemiEd
12-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Agree with all of it. I can not even do justice to how I felt when DJ buried Plummer.

Gaz
12-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Yes, that reverse pass is the kind of trick play that used to light up our D. This time, there were two Chiefs there to bury the WR.

Discipline and attitude.

You just gotta love it.

xoxo~
Gaz
Has been waiting a long time for some R&G D.

mlyonsd
12-05-2005, 02:21 PM
That first screen the Donks ran for a TD had me thinking it was going to be a long day.

After that I was pleasantly surprised. The DJ sack made my day, had to play that one 3 or 4 times back and forth on the VCR.

He's down, nope he's up, wrong, he's definitely down. Nothing better than watching a Denver QB get buried into the frozen turf.

penchief
12-05-2005, 02:25 PM

Let's not forget the goal line stand where we forced them to kick a field goal from the two.

FloridaMan88
12-05-2005, 02:28 PM
All that I keep saying...is BLITZ...I love watching it.

Me too, I loved the aggressiveness of the defense all day.

Why wasn't Gunther this aggressive in blitzing during the game in Denver???

joesomebody
12-05-2005, 02:42 PM
Not to mention preventing any points from Dante's fumble before the half. When you have Elam as your kicker, why wouldn't you let him try the 52 yarder with 6 seconds left? Sure you have time for ONE pass, but we stuffed them behind the line and time expired with them sitting out of field goal range.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but has Elam lost his leg? In the past 52 yards is fairly accurate range for Elam.

Frankie
12-05-2005, 02:45 PM
I'd still like to know what the f*ck that ref saw to make him think he was correctly spotting the ball.
He saw this------> $ (From the Rat) :p

JimNasium
12-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Not to mention preventing any points from Dante's fumble before the half. When you have Elam as your kicker, why wouldn't you let him try the 52 yarder with 6 seconds left? Sure you have time for ONE pass, but we stuffed them behind the line and time expired with them sitting out of field goal range.

I'm too lazy to look it up, but has Elam lost his leg? In the past 52 yards is fairly accurate range for Elam.
I think they said he had an injury on his plant leg and that the kick was into the wind.

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 02:49 PM
It's good to stop the number one rushing attack in football on 4th and 1.Pretty darn good of them to stop them 3 straight running plays and force a FG earlier in the game as well.

D is definitely on the incline.

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Agree with all of it. I can not even do justice to how I felt when DJ buried Plummer.I was watching the game live, but was so getting off on that play, that I Tivo'd it over and over again for about 2 minutes, then ff through the ensuing commercial.

morphius
12-05-2005, 02:51 PM
The only bootleg that worked well is the one where Anderson decided to show his love for DJ and gave him a nice big bear hug, but other then that we contained well. I guess there was one long pass off of a boot, but we had everyone covered short on that play. Many times I saw exactly what I had asked for, send the DE straight up the field when the run went the other way, and on occasion you would see Hicks just standing there ready for Plummer to come out. I think that Int on the bootleg was awesome, I counted like 7-8 guys playing that perfect. Plummer had nobody open, nowhere to run, and one of the primary targets was getting hit in the teeth so hard he never made it more then 2 yards past the line of scrimmage. Perfect.

Overall lots of room for improvement, but we got after them, hit hard, and creamed Rod Smith on a WR Pass play. I'm pretty damn happy right now.

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 02:52 PM
That first screen the Donks ran for a TD had me thinking it was going to be a long day.

After that I was pleasantly surprised. The DJ sack made my day, had to play that one 3 or 4 times back and forth on the VCR.

He's down, nope he's up, wrong, he's definitely down. Nothing better than watching a Denver QB get buried into the frozen turf.Our D would have folded it up last year after that quick score, not this year.

chefsos
12-05-2005, 02:56 PM
If this team goes on to do something special this year, 4th and 1 will be looked back on as maybe the play of the year, IMO; surely on the defensive side.

Calcountry
12-05-2005, 03:00 PM
If this team goes on to do something special this year, 4th and 1 will be looked back on as maybe the play of the year, IMO; surely on the defensive side.It was a big play to be sure, but the one yard play against the Raiders would rate as my "play of the year" still.

brent102fire
12-05-2005, 03:19 PM
Unfortunately, I had to work yesterday and did not watch the game. Thank God for Tivo. Anyway, did anyone else notice Sims on the Derrick Johnson sack of Plummer in the 2nd quarter? I watched Ryan as he drove Matt Lepsis(78) back and basically threw him on the Plummer/Johnson pile. Ryan has returned with some power and attitude... I really enjoyed watching that...almost as much as the sack itself. I think Sims will only improve the Defense. :toast: to the Chiefs

Stinger
12-05-2005, 03:23 PM
When was the last time this happened against Denver... longest run from scrimage for the Donk's 15 yards ... D held the long run check. Good job D!!!!

Frankie
12-05-2005, 04:00 PM
It was a big play to be sure, but the one yard play against the Raiders would rate as my "play of the year" still.Agreed. After the 4th down yesterday, there was no guarantee the Donks would have gone on to score.

Extra Point
12-05-2005, 04:11 PM
Dropping Allen back in coverage is a crapshoot. Being simple-minded, I just expect the D-ends to scrape out and contain. Interesting schemes put on by Gun, but we got burned by that move a time or two, specifically, the fuggin' bootleg...

Saul Good
12-05-2005, 04:21 PM
We gave up long plays on a swing pass and a bootleg pass. Wesley whiffed awfully on one play and the Chiefs bit hard on the play fake on the other. Typical of the Chiefs D.

However, they got it together after that debacle. I saw a couple of time when Plummer came out of his bootleg move and had a Chiefs player in his path. We missed on a few sacks and Plummer made some great plays to escape, but he was contained for the most part. A good job by the D. Not a great job, but a good job.

The run D was pretty good. Bell tore off a few 10-yarders near the end of the game, but for the most part, the Chiefs held down the Broncos run game.

I continue to be impressed with Mitchell. He has truly grown into the MLB position.

Johnson’s sack of Plummer was a joy to behold. Hit him low, raise up, drive him down. Sweet.

4th & 1: Was that a great play or what? That is the kind of Defensive stand that will occupy a warm place in my memory, along with Gunther’s relentless blitzing of Todd Collins when Buffalo had 1st & goal or when the Raiders WR was stopped just short of the goal line to preserve a victory. And the drama over the absurd spot and eventual overturning only heightened the thrill.

Color me a happy Defensive Homer this morning. The D was not perfect, but they were pretty darn good and I am content with that for now.

xoxo~
Gaz
Afterglowing just a bit.

I would much rather give up a few big plays than be pecked to death by 12 yard passes ie. the Philly game. When you pressure the other team, they will make mistakes. You will get burned every now and then, but it's better than playing prevent D and simply delaying the inevitable.
We gave up a huge play on a bootleg, but we stayed aggressive and got a pick a few plays later. That was the turning point of the game, maybe the season.

JohnnyV13
12-05-2005, 07:00 PM
I would much rather give up a few big plays than be pecked to death by 12 yard passes ie. the Philly game. When you pressure the other team, they will make mistakes. You will get burned every now and then, but it's better than playing prevent D and simply delaying the inevitable.
We gave up a huge play on a bootleg, but we stayed aggressive and got a pick a few plays later. That was the turning point of the game, maybe the season.

That was big, but I thought the real turning point in this game was DJ's sack. Before that, Denver had really moved well. After that, it announced to Denver "we'll clock you".