PDA

View Full Version : Dick Vermeil > Mike Shanahan

Hammock Parties
12-07-2005, 06:37 AM
Noticed this last night...

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6383/approval8uv.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

DaWolf
12-07-2005, 07:04 AM
I noticed that too. At first it was surprising considering half of the Planet was calling for DV's head after the buffalo game (I was calling for Carl's, but hey what else is new. We better make the playoffs. Dammit Carl! :cuss: )

But then I figured that all the Raiders and Chiefs fans probably went in to give the Rat a bad rating, while no one can actually "hate" Vermeil...

Mile High Mania
12-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Career Records...

Shanahan - 118 wins / 74 losses / 7-4 postseason with 2 titles
Vermeil - 118 wins / 107 losses / 6-5 posteseason with 1 title

Shanahan doesn't cry like a woman, give him the edge.

Rukdafaidas
12-07-2005, 07:52 AM
Shanahan isn't well liked by a lot of players. But, when it comes to game planning and developing schemes, I think he's the best in the NFL. He has developed an offense that has been top 5 in NFL the last 2 years with virtually average or less than average talent. He's done it with scheme alone, IMO. He also knows how to target a teams weakness like no one else.
He has also developed a top 5 defense the last few years, but on that side of the ball, they definitely have talent.
I will be thrilled the day Shanahan is out of the AFCW.

Big Chief Homer
12-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Career Records...

no,but he pouts like a 3 year old.Seen him on nfl network this week?

I think shanny needs to take off his diapers.

StcChief
12-07-2005, 10:17 AM
Shanny wins the nose pick hands down....

Chris Meck
12-07-2005, 10:33 AM
One thing to consider when looking at their career records is that Vermeil took over what was at the time the worst team in the league TWICE and took them to Super Bowls. KC was mediocre when he got here. Just sayin'.

WebGem
12-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Oh man, Vermeil has a passion for the game, that must be a total negative. At least he doesn't take it in the ass from Jake Plummer. I f*cking hate Mike Shanahan and I always will.

WebGem
12-07-2005, 10:38 AM
One thing to consider when looking at their career records is that Vermeil took over what was at the time the worst team in the league TWICE and took them to Super Bowls. KC was mediocre when he got here. Just sayin'.
Yes, he did do that. Also, the rat had John Elway on his side for every single championship he's won in his career. Without him he's done shit. He hasn't even won a division title without Elway, and I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he ends up losing this one. Shanahan sucks.

vailpass
12-07-2005, 10:39 AM
Oh man, Vermeil has a passion for the game, that must be a total negative. At least he doesn't take it in the ass from Jake Plummer. I f*cking hate Mike Shanahan and I always will.

It's natural to rebel against your Daddy.

AlWilsonizKING
12-07-2005, 10:39 AM
KC was mediocre when he got here.

They still are....... ROFL

PEACE!!!

WebGem
12-07-2005, 10:41 AM
They still are....... ROFL

PEACE!!!
No, they really aren't. They are a top 4 or 5 team in the AFC at worst.

vailpass
12-07-2005, 10:46 AM
No, they really aren't. They are a top 4 or 5 team in the AFC at worst.

So they arent' medicocre, just middle of the pack?
Gotcha. :p

Reaper16
12-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Career Records...

Crying > cheating

morphius
12-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Come back when Shanny proves something in the postseason without Elway.

vailpass
12-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Come back when Shanny proves something in the postseason without Elway.

So a coach's SB victories aren't legitimate if they are accomplished with a star QB?

That's going to be shocking news to a whole lot of coaches...Lombardi, Walsh, etc. etc. etc.

Looks like some of you are letting your bitterness towards the Broncos color your football judgement.

joesomebody
12-07-2005, 10:58 AM
So they arent' medicocre, just middle of the pack?
Gotcha. :pLets assume by posting this you agreed with the statement you are quoting, that said we are a top 4 or 5 team in the AFC.

That said, their are 16 teams in each conference.

Assuming the NFC is greater than the AFC (Which I don't think either of us would agree to) it would look like this.

NFC #1 team
AFC #1 team
NFC #2 team
AFC #2 team
NFC #5 team
AFC #5 team (CHIEFS)

That would put us at the 10th best team in the league out of 32 teams.

Last I checked, 10th out of 32 isn't "middle of the pack." Not to mention, this scenario assumes that NFC and AFC are basically equal, giving the NFC a slight edge... when most of the NFL "Experts" have said that if the Chargers were in the NFC they'd be the number one team... It's hard to say the Chargers are better than Indy, Denver, or Cincy... so this is quite a strecth if you actually did agree with the post you quoted, stating KC was the 4 or 5 team in the AFC.

joesomebody
12-07-2005, 10:59 AM
So a coach's SB victories aren't legitimate if they are accomplished with a star QB?

That's going to be shocking news to a whole lot of coaches...Lombardi, Walsh, etc. etc. etc.

Looks like some of you are letting your bitterness towards the Broncos color your football judgement.I agree, can't penalize the coach's greatness for having a great QB... however the NFL penalizing the team for basically cheating the salary cap does sort of put a big coffee stain on his victories.

RINGLEADER
12-07-2005, 11:02 AM
Shanahan's a good coach. He's done a good job putting together playoff teams in the shadow of Elway and TD...problem is that he's shown no ability to win the big games since Elway left the scene.

BigChiefFan
12-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Shanahan always has a decent team. I think he's a good coach. I can't stand him, but he's knows X's and O's.

vailpass
12-07-2005, 11:04 AM
I agree, can't penalize the coach's greatness for having a great QB... however the NFL penalizing the team for basically cheating the salary cap does sort of put a big coffee stain on his victories.

:deevee: :deevee:

vailpass
12-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Shanahan's a good coach. He's done a good job putting together playoff teams in the shadow of Elway and TD...problem is that he's shown no ability to win the big games since Elway left the scene.

Agreed. It's nice to be competitive but after a while.....

So many things have to go right to win a SB. That makes the Patriots' 3 out of 4 run that much more impressive.

JohninGpt
12-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Shanny wins the nose pick hands down....
That takes more talent than you might think.
I wonder, does he leave his shoes on?

jspchief
12-07-2005, 11:09 AM
It's kind of Apples and Oranges.

Shanahan is probably a better Xs and Ox coach, and vermeil is probably a better intangibles coach.

They are certainly both good coaches.

carlos3652
12-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Im glad your great Denver team lost against the mediocre Chiefs... just shows how "great" you are...

carlos3652
12-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Im glad your great Denver team lost against the mediocre Chiefs... just shows how "great" you are...

Oh and I guess being 1 game back seperates the best from the worst... pathetic... :shake: Denver fans still cocky even after they lose...

vailpass
12-07-2005, 11:13 AM

I'm more of a big-picture fan; I see things with a wide angle lens so as to encompass the whole scene. :p

On an unrelated note: do you know when the next season of "Entourage" starts?

carlos3652
12-07-2005, 11:17 AM
W/L - The Rat has the edge...

That doesnt mean he is better... Im glad the same donkeys who question stats to show our side, get picky when they show stats and we question them...

WL do not show the lifetime of these coaches... they are both good...

carlos3652
12-07-2005, 11:22 AM
I'm more of a big-picture fan; I see things with a wide angle lens so as to encompass the whole scene. :p

So you can see that we are closing in on your ass... :)

unrelated note:
07.18.05 | Entourage renewed for a third season
Entourage will return to HBO for a third season. The third season will run for at least 13 episodes, with a start date yet to be announced.

Hug it out bitch

morphius
12-07-2005, 11:29 AM

Looks like some of you are letting your bitterness towards the Broncos color your football judgement.
No, that is not the deal at all, and the SB are in the record books. But Vermeil has taken 2 teams with 2 different QB's to the SB, and one of those was his backup QB.

Shanahan could get Griese to work, and Plummer has yet to come through and he was hand picked by him.

But the point is, one coach has take 2 completely different teams to the SB, one has taken the same team twice. I consider the first one more rare and difficult.

Alton deFlat
12-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Shanahan has that "Ned Beatty from Deliverance" look on his face.

Squeal like a pig!!!!

vailpass
12-07-2005, 11:52 AM
So you can see that we are closing in on your ass... :)

unrelated note:
07.18.05 | Entourage renewed for a third season
Entourage will return to HBO for a third season. The third season will run for at least 13 episodes, with a start date yet to be announced.

Hug it out bitch

Ari is golden.

vailpass
12-07-2005, 11:56 AM
No, that is not the deal at all, and the SB are in the record books. But Vermeil has taken 2 teams with 2 different QB's to the SB, and one of those was his backup QB.

Shanahan could get Griese to work, and Plummer has yet to come through and he was hand picked by him.

But the point is, one coach has take 2 completely different teams to the SB, one has taken the same team twice. I consider the first one more rare and difficult.

Understood and I see your point.

Some would say Kurt Warner was a back-up QB in the same vein that Tom Brady was a back-up QB in the sense that for their respective teams each was much b etter equipped to take his team to the SB than the established starter (Bledsoe/Green).

Still, each SB season has it's challenges. Having the best team/players is not enough in itself to get to and win a SB.

Simply Red
12-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Noticed this last night...

http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/6383/approval8uv.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Actually I can't stand MS. But to his credit he FINALLY gave are team some credit in the post game conference.

chiefsfolife
12-07-2005, 12:04 PM

translated...living on past glory

vailpass
12-07-2005, 12:26 PM
translated...living on past glory

????
How do you get that from my statement?

gcbroncos
12-07-2005, 03:38 PM

Not the worste teams...but not good ones I'll give you that....

Shanahan took over a pretty crappy team too ya know.....

Chris Meck
12-07-2005, 03:52 PM
No, they were pretty much the worst. They maybe hadn't been the worst as long as New Orleans, but they were MISERABLY BAD. Like two wins a year bad.