PDA

View Full Version : Which way are the Chiefs headed?

Gaz
12-07-2005, 09:27 AM
A winning streak and the optimism soars [or at least the pessimists run silent and run deep].

So, where do you stand on the playoffs right now?

xoxo~
Gaz
Taking the Planet’s temperature.

Rain Man
12-07-2005, 09:31 AM
I'd prefer my temperature taken orally, please.

As for the playoffs, I always believe the Chiefs are Super Bowl bound until that last field goal attempt goes wide left and everyone walks off the field dejected.

KCTitus
12-07-2005, 09:32 AM
I really dont know, and didnt know before the season. Ive got no stats or anything tangible to point to, but going into week 13 this year it's much different than in 2003.

Warrior5
12-07-2005, 09:33 AM
If the Chiefs pull off an upset in Dallas, I'd say very good. That'll gauge my predictions for the following Giants game.

ROYC75
12-07-2005, 09:35 AM
I think it's south, to play the Cowboys.

Archie Bunker
12-07-2005, 09:35 AM
I admit that after the Buffalo game my confidence had hit rock bottom but I really like how the team is playing right now.

I honestly think they will win out.

Rain Man
12-07-2005, 09:36 AM
I think it's south, to play the Cowboys.

Oh.

Roy's right, of course. I misunderstood the question.

jAZ
12-07-2005, 09:36 AM
Wow, I know this poll just started... but I'm shocked at the initial results. Most people say they always believed we'd make the playoffs and I'm the only one who voted "not making the playoffs" (#1) option.

Weird.

I think the odds are against us making the playoffs. We have to basically win out.

I'm cheer for that, but today I can't honestly say I expect it.

Chiefnj
12-07-2005, 09:39 AM
I'm a pessimist and voted #1. I'm excited for the team but I wouldn't bet money on them on the road.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-07-2005, 09:41 AM
I really do think the Chiefs can win out. We are improving at the right time and getting healthy at the right time.

We can beat any of the teams on our remaining schedule, it's just up to us. I'm glad we have this tough of a schedule, this way if we don't make the playoffs, we'll know that we weren't supposed to; we weren't good enough.

I think we'll win out, but that's just me.

siberian khatru
12-07-2005, 09:44 AM
I like the way we're playing right now. I like the fact that we're HEALTHY. I think that improves our chances.

I long ago quit getting my hopes up with this team, trying to extrapolate immediate success into the future. Just been crushed too many times, just when you think "this is the year" or "they're turning the corner."

I was impressed by the Denver win. I will be impressed if we beat Dallas. And then I will move on to the next game and take it from there.

Gaz
12-07-2005, 09:48 AM
Those of you who have changed your mind, what was the turning point? Was it a particular game or a particular player returning?

xoxo~
Gaz
Looking for the fulcrum.

StcChief
12-07-2005, 09:49 AM
High hopes at beginning of season. (Jets game)

Injuries to Roaf, Welbourne,Sims made me wonder if
8-8 were the best we could possible do.....
D and O inconsistent.

Know with everyone healthy, playing together O and D. I'm optomistic that we will get WC at least.

Dungver could falter (doubt it)
SD will have tough time now too.

Pitt is fading... (If Bears win this weekend, real tough for them.)

Chiefs Pantalones
12-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Those of you who have changed your mind, what was the turning point? Was it a particular game or a particular player returning?

xoxo~
Gaz
Looking for the fulcrum.

Really they've just gotten better throughout the season. It's a good thing because that's what you're supposed to do (/John Madden).

Rain Man
12-07-2005, 09:51 AM
The good news is that most teams are wearing down by this stage, and the Chiefs have several players who have only played half a season or less - Roaf, Welbourn, Warfield, Johnson (kind of), and Sims. We're actually stronger now than at any point in the season, other than losing Priest.

Brock
12-07-2005, 09:51 AM
The Chiefs are playing better, and they're doing it at the right time for a change.

Eleazar
12-07-2005, 09:53 AM
I thought after the first 1/4 of the season that it would be really hard for us to get in the playoffs, and that we would need to see massive improvement on both sides of the ball for that to happen.

Luckily, that's what we've gotten. Seems like it's at or better than 50/50 that we make it now.

milkman
12-07-2005, 09:54 AM

xoxo~
Gaz
Looking for the fulcrum.

For me, it's a combination of factors.

First, I didn't think that Roaf would get healthy this season and return to his dominating form like he has.

Wellborne has played the RT position the last two weeks the way that I thought he could last season.
I'm now assuming his health last season impacted his performance.

The return of Sims, who looked like he's ready to take up where he left off at the start of the season.

And LJ, who has now shown Priestly patience to go along with his other attributes.

morphius
12-07-2005, 09:55 AM
I have been bit by this team so many times that I don't even want to guess where we will be going.

Mr. Laz
12-07-2005, 10:04 AM
Wow, I know this poll just started... but I'm shocked at the initial results. Most people say they always believed we'd make the playoffs and I'm the only one who voted "not making the playoffs" (#1) option.

Weird.

I think the odds are against us making the playoffs. We have to basically win out.

I'm cheer for that, but today I can't honestly say I expect it.
i imagine the fact that it's public poll has put pressure on people to respond positively.

don't wanna get the dreaded "basher" or "not a true fan" label.

Brock
12-07-2005, 10:08 AM
i imagine the fact that it's public poll has put pressure on people to respond positively.

don't wanna get the dreaded "basher" or "not a true fan" label.

Yeah, that's a very frightening consequence.

KCTitus
12-07-2005, 10:09 AM
Yeah, that's a very frightening consequence.

ROFL

Archie Bunker
12-07-2005, 10:14 AM

xoxo~
Gaz
Looking for the fulcrum.

Well LJ gives the Chiefs a mauler that is built to run behind the strength of our offensive line which is the interior. It seems that Al has figured that out and the offense has returned to its dominate ways.

The defense just keeps improving and the confidence is showing on the field. The stats wont show it at the end of the year but right right now the Chiefs are a Top 10-15 D. Ever since Warfield returned this defence has been a pleasure to watch.

Basically the turning point was the Houston game. Even though the Texans are horrible it gave the offense and defense that added burst of confidence that they needed for the stretch run.

Chris Meck
12-07-2005, 10:28 AM
After the Buffalo game, I wondered if we'd win another game all year. It looked like the wheels had come clean off.

Then we got Roaf back. Willie Roaf is this team's MVP. With him, the offense can dominate almost any defense. Without him, it struggles.

Roaf, Surtain, Sims, Welbourn-a fresh(ish) Larry Johnson, a Trent Green in a clean uniform...defense playing better, Sims back...

I don't think anybody really wants to play us right now. We're actually putting the team on the field that we intended to from day one for the first time all season.

I also don't think we're going to miss the play-offs if we go 11-5; all of these teams are not going to win out. Some will tank, some always do. Hell, it's RARE that 10-6 won't get you in, but I think we split the road games and win the home games. I think Jax and Pitt both drop off, and San Diego will finish 10-6. (JMO). I think both Denver and KC finish 11-5 and make the play-offs with a tie-breaker determining the division.

And I think we're gonna put a whoopin' on Dallas Sunday. Like a big one. Their OT situation is BAD right now. 34-10 Chiefs

Chris

Baby Lee
12-07-2005, 10:37 AM
We can beat any of the teams on our remaining schedule, it's just up to us.
That's been true for a while though.
Still gunshy from a team that whooped the Falcons and Colts, yet puked on their shoes against the Texans and Saints, last year.

KCTitus
12-07-2005, 10:40 AM
Still gunshy from a team that whooped the Falcons and Colts, yet puked on their shoes against the Texans and Saints, last year.

See Buffalo and Philly games...

Mr. Laz
12-07-2005, 10:45 AM

yeppers ... how can we all not be.

i firmally believe the chiefs CAN win all their remaining games.

2 weaker teams on the road(dallas,giants)
2 stronger teams at home(san diego,Cincy)

it's setup for us just fine

but which team is gonna show up ... the team that rolled over against the donks IN denver or the team that kept coming against the donks IN kansas city?

:shrug: *crossing fingers*

htismaqe
12-07-2005, 10:49 AM
After Buffalo, I honestly thought this team was done.

But they're ascending and I'm starting to believe...

mlyonsd
12-07-2005, 12:01 PM
For the Chiefs to make the playoffs I feel they need to win the next two road games.

And, I'll believe it when I see it. I suppose I can attribute my pessimism to being a fan all thru the dark years.

Gaz
12-07-2005, 12:20 PM
Is anyone really intimidated by a public poll?

xoxo~
Gaz
Finds that hard to credit.

Chiefnj
12-07-2005, 12:26 PM
Is it better to make the playoffs and lose horribly in the first game, or not make the playoffs at all?

KCTitus
12-07-2005, 12:29 PM
Is it better to make the playoffs and lose horribly in the first game, or not make the playoffs at all?

Didnt we have a thread on this in 2003? :D

I dunno...I can tell you going into 2003, I would have said the latter, but this year, I'd go with the former...I think....maybe.

Rain Man
12-07-2005, 12:31 PM
Is anyone really intimidated by a public poll?

xoxo~
Gaz
Finds that hard to credit.

Please say yes. I never got to be a playground bully growing up.

Mr. Laz
12-07-2005, 12:31 PM

if a tree falls in the woods.....

bogie
12-07-2005, 12:40 PM
In theatre, the theory is to improve during rehearsals and peak at final dress rehearsal. So on opening night you are the best you can be. I think the Chiefs opening night is this Sunday against Dallas. I think they are peaking and will give us a spectacular performance for the rest of the season. If they stay healthy and continue on this level of growth in their performance we are SB bound. Really!

jspchief
12-07-2005, 12:45 PM
I chose the "didn't believe, but changed my mind" option. But it's not quite that absolute for me. A better option would have been "was once convinced we wouldn't, but now think we have a chance".

For the better part of the season, I've been of the mindset that we are a mediocre team. The last two wins have altered that to a mindset that we are a notch above mediocre, but not yet "play-off game winner".

We still haven't beaten a good team on the road, and have only beaten one team that I thought was better than us at home. If we beat Dallas, my opinion of the team will continue to rise, and if we beat NYG as well, I'll be convinced that we are not only play-off caliber, but capable of ruining someone's post-season hopes.

KCTitus
12-07-2005, 12:47 PM
...and have only beaten one team that I thought was better than us at home.

The Jets game?

siberian khatru
12-07-2005, 12:50 PM
I chose the "didn't believe, but changed my mind" option. But it's not quite that absolute for me. A better option would have been "was once convinced we wouldn't, but now think we have a chance".

For the better part of the season, I've been of the mindset that we are a mediocre team. The last two wins have altered that to a mindset that we are a notch above mediocre, but not yet "play-off game winner".

We still haven't beaten a good team on the road, and have only beaten one team that I thought was better than us at home. If we beat Dallas, my opinion of the team will continue to rise, and if we beat NYG as well, I'll be convinced that we are not only play-off caliber, but capable of ruining someone's post-season hopes.

Describes me to a T. Or tee.

Extra Point
12-07-2005, 12:52 PM
It's not a matter of getting beat, it's a matter of getting up. The Chiefs have gotten up, and may get beat a couple more times.

Like said above, I've gotten my hopes up before, and will get them up again. Win or lose, I'm a fan. Happy or pissed, I'm a fan.

Hey, Chiefs, keep the drive alive!!!

jspchief
12-07-2005, 12:52 PM
The Jets game?No, the Denver game.

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not (I struggle with you Titus). I believed the Jets were a fraud last year, and would be exposed for it this year. I felt their defense and W/L record from '04 was a product of a cupcake schedule. I pretty much expected us to beat them.

I also felt that Washington this year wasn't as good as their winning record at the time.

IMO, we've only played 4 games against top tier competition, and we've lost three of them.

KCTitus
12-07-2005, 12:54 PM
...Not sure if that was sarcasm or not (I struggle with you Titus).

Well, kinda...it was an attempt at a joke. Sorry, I knew you probably wouldnt know how I meant it, but that made it funnier to me.

I shouldve smilied the post.

jspchief
12-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Well, kinda...it was an attempt at a joke. Sorry, I knew you probably wouldnt know how I meant it, but that made it funnier to me.

I shouldve smilied the post.I usually have a decent knack for picking up internet sarcasm, but for whatever reason I struggle with you sometimes.

Fish
12-07-2005, 12:57 PM
I've been convinced that this team will be in the playoffs all year. I'll admit that the Buffalo game shook my confidence a little, but I did expected the team to bounce back. And boy did they....

I predicted the outcome of the game Sunday morning..... I was out deer hunting at the butt-crack of dawn and told my buddies..."We're going to have 4 deer in the back of the pickup by 1:00, and the Chiefs are gonna put a hurt on the Donkeys today". And sure as shit, we had 4 deer in the pickup and went home and watched the Chiefs win. If the Raiders would have beaten the Bolts, my head would have just exploded.....

funk monkey
12-07-2005, 01:04 PM
i never had a doubt in my mind that the chiefs weren't worthy enough to make playoffs. Sure theyve choked once or twice, but, with a little D improvement...we are even super bowl material

Logical
12-07-2005, 01:08 PM
I still think we will lose 2 out of the next 4 I just don't see 6 losses getting a playoff spot.

KCTitus
12-07-2005, 01:11 PM
I still think we will lose 2 out of the next 4 I just don't see 6 losses getting a playoff spot.

The safe bet...I like to think 3-1 is doable losing to NYG

Logical
12-07-2005, 01:14 PM
The safe bet...I like to think 3-1 is doable losing to NYGThat would be nice but I doubt severely that 5 losses get us even a WC this year.

djwells
12-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Maybe a better statement is -- hope to make the playoffs. I bleed red and yellow but I will only state that I hope we make the playoffs. Sure, if we roll the team from the last three weeks out we stand a great chance of making it. From time to time though, the Chiefs (not just this year) seem to play down to their competitions level.

As far as reaching the Super Bowl. Holy Cow -- we'd have to play some awesome ball in Indy, Cincy, or Denver for that to happen. I'm not so sure this team can compete strongly in any of those venues.

Indy and KC have had some awesome high scoring games the last two years but we both have improved offenses.

Cincy was the team that broke the 2003 consecutive win streak at nine games when we went there. Again, we do have an improved D; but they have an improved O and D.

Denver -- well 'nuff said. I don't want to give them any credit for things always bouncing the right way at Invesco / Mile High.

morphius
12-07-2005, 01:17 PM
That would be nice but I doubt severely that 5 losses get us even a WC this year.
5 losses could be okay, we just can't afford to lose to anyone in the AFC.

djwells
12-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Indy and KC have had some awesome high scoring games the last two years but we both have improved offenses.

Correction -- both have improved defenses.

milkman
12-07-2005, 03:04 PM
No, the Denver game.

Not sure if that was sarcasm or not (I struggle with you Titus). I believed the Jets were a fraud last year, and would be exposed for it this year. I felt their defense and W/L record from '04 was a product of a cupcake schedule. I pretty much expected us to beat them.

I also felt that Washington this year wasn't as good as their winning record at the time.

IMO, we've only played 4 games against top tier competition, and we've lost three of them.

I really pretty much agree with your take on the Jets, but while they were a "Fraud", they also weren't a bad team, just a mediocre team.

I think that Jets game, though, illustrated early what this team is capable of on the road if all of their parts on offense are in place.

Add in the fact that the defense is improved, and will continue to do so with the return of Sims, I think this team is now not only capable of winning on the road in Dallas and NY, but primed and ready to do so.

Both teams rely heavily on the ground game to set up the pass, and this defense is strong against the run.

Take that away from them, and both Bledsoe and Eli Mangina struggle, especially when under pressure, and Gun will bring it.

milkman
12-07-2005, 03:14 PM
Cincy was the team that broke the 2003 consecutive win streak at nine games when we went there. Again, we do have an improved D; but they have an improved O and D.

Just how improved is the Bengals D?

From another thread.

They're very similar to our 2003 team.

Great offense, weak schedule (Pittsburgh is the best team they've beaten. They beat Chicago, but that was back in the first month of the season. Other than that they've feasted on losers.), and their D is questionable.

24th against the run, 28th in yards per carry allowed. Only 20 sacks.

They are also 26th in 3rd down conversions allowed, which is not a good sign.

Hell their passing D is ranked 24th too. 24th against the run AND the pass. Not a good sign if you ask me.

Those numbers are pretty damn pathetic.

cdcox
12-07-2005, 03:16 PM
My attitude toward the Chiefs playoff chances is always perfectly reflected in my software predictions.

Except during a game. Then we are the most no-heart front-runners ever to grace a football field anywhere.

So basically I've gone from "probably not" to "cautiously optimistic".