PDA

View Full Version : Running up the score........what's the big deal?

Kylo Ren
12-07-2005, 03:25 PM
Every year there are complaints about a team running up the score on another team. Denver was upset that the Chiefs ran up the score on them last December at Arrowhead. It happens more often in college than in the NFL. To me, what's the big deal? Who cares? If you can win 100-0, do it. If you are the losing team, be a man and take your ass whoopin'. If you are that bad then you deserve to lose by a wide margin. If you don't want to take an ass whoopin', then work harder, get better and improve your team.

In college football a team's ranking depends on how badly they beat their opponents. In the NFL, the 4th or 5th or 6th tie breaker, I don't remember which one it is, is margin of victory. Another tie breaker is points for and points against. So, it is advantageous to a team to score as many points as possible, against any foe, at any time in both college and pro football. So, again I say, what's the big deal? Why do teams continually whine about this year after year. To me, it's not bad sportsmanship. It's just life. It's a good life lesson. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

What are your thoughts?

Discuss..........

jidar
12-07-2005, 03:41 PM
My thoughts are that this is the type of thing that cannot be explained. You either get it or you don't, it's a matter of class.

angel
12-07-2005, 03:42 PM
also they don't want to risk injury to key players

Kylo Ren
12-07-2005, 03:46 PM
also they don't want to risk injury to key players Right. I can see a team replacing the 1st string with the 2nd or 3rd string to protect against injury once an insurmountable lead has been achieved. That's up to the winning team. But, if the leading team chooses to run up the score to help their playoff chances, that's up to them.

trndobrd
12-07-2005, 03:46 PM
My thoughts are that this is the type of thing that cannot be explained. You either get it or you don't, it's a matter of class.

You are on the right track. But you can't tell a player not to try his best.

It would be low class for a coach not to put in the second or third string guys when up by 50 points. However, I don't fault a third string player trying his best to score. That third string player is still fighting for a starting job and needs to perform whenever he gets in the game.

NFL16
12-07-2005, 03:47 PM
whats the third tie breaker?

FringeNC
I don't see why an opposing team cares. A loss is a loss. (At least at the pro level. Amateur is a different story.)

Also, I can buy the argument that you want your 2nd string QB to get some real game action, so you let him throw the ball.

Saulbadguy
Running up the score should not exist in the NFL. Its your job to stop them.

trndobrd
12-07-2005, 03:49 PM
Right. I can see a team replacing the 1st string with the 2nd or 3rd string to protect against injury once an insurmountable lead has been achieved. That's up to the winning team. But, if the leading team chooses to run up the score to help their playoff chances, that's up to them.

On the other hand, a coach might think it's more important to give his "Todd Collinses" some valuable playing time in case a starter goes down later in the season.

jidar
12-07-2005, 03:55 PM
You are on the right track. But you can't tell a player not to try his best.

Well sure, but I was more refering to the play calling and who you have in the game.

ChiefsCountry
12-07-2005, 03:59 PM
My outake on this is:

NFL it shouldn't matter, run up the score big deal. They are payed to do it, its your job.

College and High School - if your backups run the score up then nothing can be done, if your starters are still in then you have no class unless its an arrogrant program (I know a few I would run the score up if I had a chance)

Kylo Ren
12-07-2005, 04:00 PM
On the other hand, a coach might think it's more important to give his "Todd Collinses" some valuable playing time in case a starter goes down later in the season. That's totally true and I agree. The coach can decide which is more important. Should he gain more points which would help the team in the playoff race or would it be better to give "Todd Collins" some playing time. Both of those are valid to me. But I don't think the coach should have to worry about offending the other team or how the other team "feels" about losing. Unbelieveably, I agree with Saulbadyguy -- "Running up the score should not exist in the NFL. Its your job to stop them."

donkhater
12-07-2005, 04:00 PM
It's more deplorable in college and high school. Some schools get/recruit better athletes then play teams that are clearly out of their class athletically. It's a pretty classless act to run up a score.

In the NFL on the other hand, every team has at it's dipsoal the finest athletes in the world and get paid millions of dollars to play a game for a living. If they aren't doing their job well enough to prevent an ass-whippin' then they don't deserve that job.

Simplex3
12-07-2005, 04:01 PM
At the pro level I could care less. If you're getting pounded maybe you shouldn't suck so much.

At the college level I didn't care so much until the big schools started bringing in the little schools to pound a couple of times a year, but even then the little school chose to take that game.

In HS it's pure bulls**t. HS teams can't recruit, they don't get to choose their schedule, they're pretty much stuck with the team they have. Points should be removed from any HS playoff formula where they exist and any coach who runs up scores on a bunch of kids should be kicked in the nuts by the entire opposing team.

jidar
12-07-2005, 04:01 PM
My outake on this is:

NFL it shouldn't matter, run up the score big deal. They are payed to do it, its your job.

College and High School - if your backups run the score up then nothing can be done, if your starters are still in then you have no class unless its an arrogrant program (I know a few I would run the score up if I had a chance)

I feel exactly the opposite.
Well, in college you need to run it up to get voter recognition for bowls.

In the NFL running up the score means nothing, the coaches should start eating up the clock and putting in backups. It's a matter of class, and like I said before you can't really rationalize or explain class.

Kylo Ren
12-07-2005, 04:02 PM
Was it wrong for Texas to win 70-0 over Colorado or USC to put up 66 on UCLA?

Saulbadguy
12-07-2005, 04:03 PM
Was it wrong for Texas to win 70-0 over Colorado or USC to put up 66 on their opponent?
Hell no.

Personally, I wouldn't have stopped until I got 100 points if I were Mack Brown.

Kylo Ren
12-07-2005, 04:13 PM
It's more deplorable in college and high school. Some schools get/recruit better athletes then play teams that are clearly out of their class athletically. It's a pretty classless act to run up a score.

In the NFL on the other hand, every team has at it's dipsoal the finest athletes in the world and get paid millions of dollars to play a game for a living. If they aren't doing their job well enough to prevent an ass-whippin' then they don't deserve that job. Right. I see your point. You may be swaying me just slightly. I can see that it would be less desireable to run up the score in H.S. In the pros, I don't think it matters at all. They are paid millions to play the game.

Alton deFlat
12-07-2005, 04:19 PM
I believe it was Dennis Franchione that said, it wasn't his job to stop his offense, it was the the opposing defense's job.

Area 51
12-07-2005, 04:50 PM
Right. I can see a team replacing the 1st string with the 2nd or 3rd string to protect against injury once an insurmountable lead has been achieved. That's up to the winning team. But, if the leading team chooses to run up the score to help their playoff chances, that's up to them.

In the past couple of years the Chiefs couldn't build a lead that was insurmountable, they needed to score as much and as often as they could just to be sure that there wouldn't be a comeback.

Calcountry
12-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Every year there are complaints about a team running up the score on another team. Denver was upset that the Chiefs ran up the score on them last December at Arrowhead. It happens more often in college than in the NFL. To me, what's the big deal? Who cares? If you can win 100-0, do it. If you are the losing team, be a man and take your ass whoopin'. If you are that bad then you deserve to lose by a wide margin. If you don't want to take an ass whoopin', then work harder, get better and improve your team.

In college football a team's ranking depends on how badly they beat their opponents. In the NFL, the 4th or 5th or 6th tie breaker, I don't remember which one it is, is margin of victory. Another tie breaker is points for and points against. So, it is advantageous to a team to score as many points as possible, against any foe, at any time in both college and pro football. So, again I say, what's the big deal? Why do teams continually whine about this year after year. To me, it's not bad sportsmanship. It's just life. It's a good life lesson. Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose.

What are your thoughts?

Discuss..........When was the last time you seen a playoff spot determined by PF and PA?

Valiant
12-07-2005, 06:08 PM
In the past couple of years the Chiefs couldn't build a lead that was insurmountable, they needed to score as much and as often as they could just to be sure that there wouldn't be a comeback.

That should end the argument right that there... If you have the chance to kill your opponent on the field point wise, you do it...

Valiant
12-07-2005, 06:11 PM
And if it is about class, then the losing team should concede and both teams would just go for 3-outs the whole time... Its about class right???
Or do you score and try and play defense for your fans???

Would you like the Chiefs players to quit playing defense and offense if they are winning 35-0 at arrowhead at the half???

Redcoats58
12-07-2005, 06:22 PM
I was watching the NFL Network a couple of months ago and Terrell Davis was talking about Mike Shannahan running up the score on any team he could and that was just the way he coached his team. I don't see anything wrong with it unless you are trying to score in the last 5-10 minutes when you are up by 30. And another thing, if you get the chance to run up the score against a division team, you do it. To f'n bad if they don't like it, it keeps the rivalries strong.