PDA

View Full Version : The abandoned insane asylum

Simply Red
12-08-2005, 04:07 PM
The abandoned insane asylum. Is it still there? You know the one by Arrowhead. People in High-school used to go there as a thrill. Kind of a rush. you know. Fill me in I have been away from MO for 14 yrs. now. and I'm like 'whoa' ...

JBucc
12-08-2005, 04:09 PM
14 years? I doubt it's till there. Even though I have no clue what you're talking about.

Eleazar
12-08-2005, 04:10 PM
Yeah, it's still there. I go to the K a couple times a year.

NLU Tailgater
12-08-2005, 04:16 PM
I've seen it as recently as last year. Stuff round those parts don't move too quickly......as evidence of the whole stadium improvements bills.

Creepy for sure as a kid, but I'd be kinda interested to check it out now.

Simply Red
12-08-2005, 04:28 PM
I've seen it as recently as last year. Stuff round those parts don't move too quickly......as evidence of the whole stadium improvements bills.

Creepy for sure as a kid, but I'd be kinda interested to check it out now.

Co, I sure miss Hi-Boy over there on 40 by Blue Ridge.

chiefs4me
12-08-2005, 04:29 PM
damn...from the thread title, I thought you meant chiefs planet.....:D

kcfanXIII
12-08-2005, 04:31 PM
the one with the view of the real mental instituition? i heard they tore it down, but its been longer than a year since i heard it

MOhillbilly
12-08-2005, 04:33 PM
spfld. has an Albino Farm.

Simply Red
12-08-2005, 04:35 PM
damn...from the thread title, I thought you meant chiefs planet.....:D
ROFL

No it actually used to exist. KC had a lot of oddities like that. I remember Selsa Rd. was supposed to be full of Cults. I know now Selsa rd. has built several subdivisions and stuff. Anyhow....

Simply Red
12-08-2005, 04:36 PM
spfld. has an Albino Farm.

Mo,

What's that?

MOhillbilly
12-08-2005, 04:55 PM
its a place in Springfield where albinos used to live.

Ill dig some pics(creepy) up tommorow.

KcMizzou
12-08-2005, 04:56 PM
what is spfld?Springfield. I have no idea what an albino farm is. I mean, I know what an albino is...

phisherman
12-08-2005, 04:58 PM
the "insane asylum" as you call it was actually the leeds tuberculosis hospital...it was located on the grounds of the KC Municipal Correctional Institution..
it's torn down now...got taken down 2-3 years ago

the albino farm is not as called, actually an albino farm, but just a large family farm outside of springfield...for pics and accounts of it, go to www.undergroundozarks.com

they have a large gallery committed to it

bp

phisherman
12-08-2005, 04:59 PM
it's under springlawn farm, btw

bp

DJJasonp
12-08-2005, 05:00 PM
Was the insane asylum on the south side of the complex? On the hill?

I also seem to remember an old haunted house at about 31st street (about 10 blocks or so east of Main) that was creepy as hell (an old hospital I think?)

Was it called the Haunted Hospital? Was it an insane asylum? I remember going downstairs to the basement to start off and it was all cement and bricks and no windows....creepy.

MOhillbilly
12-08-2005, 05:02 PM
the "insane asylum" as you call it was actually the leeds tuberculosis hospital...it was located on the grounds of the KC Municipal Correctional Institution..

the albino farm is not as called, actually an albino farm, but just a large family farm outside of springfield...for pics and accounts of it, go to www.undergroundozarks.com (http://www.undergroundozarks.com)

bp

there were absolutely albinos lived there dude.
My grandpa was born and raised here 1912-03 and he said albinos lived there plus the local news channel showed pics (ozarks watch on pbs?)

phisherman
12-08-2005, 05:02 PM
if you're standing at the gate to the prison, the hospital would've been to the NW of the prison grounds...

i think you're talking about the old christ church hospital, it's at about 29th and paseo...you can see it on the west side of 71 on the way into down town KC...very creepy place, rigth in the middle of a neighborhood, PM me anyone if you want directions to any of these places and more..i spent quite a bit of time when younger exploring these abandoned places...

bp

phisherman
12-08-2005, 05:03 PM
check that site, MO, there are library references to the use and history of springlawn farm

bp

Eleazar
12-08-2005, 05:03 PM
After having worked in a mental health hospital before, I don't think the asylum would scare me very much.

MOhillbilly
12-08-2005, 05:07 PM
check that site, MO, there are library references to the use and history of springlawn farm

bp

lies to keep people away.

dont ruin it w/ facts.

phisherman
12-08-2005, 05:08 PM
sorry, it just seems that the real stories are never as fun...

but it's still a really creepy place..i've been there, know the history, and still wouldn't want to explore the place alone at night

bp

phisherman
12-08-2005, 05:09 PM
After having worked in a mental health hospital before, I don't think the asylum would scare me very much.

i'll be honest w/ ya, the scariest thing about those kind of buildings is the fact that you don't know if you're going to fall through the floor on your next step forward

bp

DJJasonp
12-08-2005, 05:10 PM
if you're standing at the gate to the prison, the hospital would've been to the NW of the prison grounds...

i think you're talking about the old christ church hospital, it's at about 29th and paseo...you can see it on the west side of 71 on the way into down town KC...very creepy place, rigth in the middle of a neighborhood, PM me anyone if you want directions to any of these places and more..i spent quite a bit of time when younger exploring these abandoned places...

bp

Yep....that's the place.....solid, 6 inch glass windows (that you cant see through)..

Great haunted house....

MOhillbilly
12-08-2005, 05:11 PM
sorry, it just seems that the real stories are never as fun...

but it's still a really creepy place..i've been there, know the history, and still wouldn't want to explore the place alone at night

bp

we used to trip acid and go out there and steel brindge and the creepy house on the hill w/ the pool.

phisherman
12-08-2005, 05:12 PM
very cool place, but also very boarded up now...they used labor from the prison by royals stadium to board and concrete up all the windows..

last i heard they were renovating it for use for something...i can dig up some pics if anyone wants to see them.

bp

JimNasium
12-08-2005, 05:27 PM

the albino farm is not as called, actually an albino farm, but just a large family farm outside of springfield...for pics and accounts of it, go to www.undergroundozarks.com

bp
Awesome website. Thanks.

KCChiefsMan
12-08-2005, 05:28 PM
Springfield. I have no idea what an albino farm is. I mean, I know what an albino is...

an albino is a person/animal with no pigment

KcMizzou
12-08-2005, 05:37 PM
an albino is a person/animal with no pigment
Yeah... I know. It was the "farm" that threw me. The only albino I know lives just like anyone else.

Boozer
12-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Awesome website. Thanks.

That is cool. Check out the part where they break into an old Nike missile site. The bay doors and elevator still worked! I wouldn't believe them if it weren't for the videos.

phisherman
12-08-2005, 06:32 PM
that silo's in pleasant hill...

very cool place
bp

Tribal Warfare
12-08-2005, 06:44 PM
The abandoned insane asylum

The LA coliseum ?

Dunit35
12-08-2005, 06:54 PM
I love checking out old abandoned buildings. Might be my favorite thing to do at night. They are dangerous though. One building we checked out was just a house on main street and we opened the door, turned the corner into the kitchen and just about fell through. There was a huge hole in the kitchen.
About 20 miles away in a town called Hardtner, KS. There is a old probably 6-7 floor hospital that has been abandoned since the 1980's. Im not completely sure when it closed down. But it has been a local high school place to go check out. The building looks scary as hell when your on the outside driving by it. Its all by itself with the park across from it. Supposedly its got some huanted places in it, but Ive been in there 3 times and nothing is haunted. Anybody ever hear of it?

phisherman
12-08-2005, 07:08 PM
it's called Auchenba Hospital...

1st floor has a great morgue, with bloody footprints everywhere, probably fake though..

bp

phisherman
12-08-2005, 07:09 PM
by the way, if any of you are ever up for exploring, i run around w/ a group occasionally, PM me for details

bp

Dunit35
12-08-2005, 07:42 PM
it's called Auchenba Hospital...

1st floor has a great morgue, with bloody footprints everywhere, probably fake though..

bp

You been there or anything. One time we went there with digital cameras and video records and caught several orb figures on a few of the pictures. I do not think they were dust particles either. One room, I cant remember what floor, has a temperature drop.

wilas101
12-08-2005, 09:04 PM
This is off topic of creepy places around KC but when I was stationed at Ft. Campbell the units that had post guard duty would keep their guys in part of the old hospital there. That was one of the creepiest places I have ever been. I always wondered if it wasn't worse than I gave it credit for since it would creep out a bunch of 18-20 year olds who would never admit to being scared of anything.

phisherman
12-08-2005, 09:08 PM
i went there a long time ago w/ some buddies in college that lived around the area...i'd love to see the pics if you have them...

the 1st floor men's room is the room w/ the temperature drop, but we went when it was cold, so i couldn't tell if the temp dropped or not
bp

Simply Red
12-08-2005, 09:41 PM
I love checking out old abandoned buildings. Might be my favorite thing to do at night. They are dangerous though. One building we checked out was just a house on main street and we opened the door, turned the corner into the kitchen and just about fell through. There was a huge hole in the kitchen.
About 20 miles away in a town called Hardtner, KS. There is a old probably 6-7 floor hospital that has been abandoned since the 1980's. Im not completely sure when it closed down. But it has been a local high school place to go check out. The building looks scary as hell when your on the outside driving by t. Its all by itself with the park across from it. Supposedly its got some huanted places in it, but Ive been in there 3 times and nothing is haunted. Anybody ever hear of it?

never heard of it, but I love the mood. Excellent addition Dunit. I love mystery period. By the way, ever heard of Pittsburg,Ks.? One of the erriest(SP?) towns I have stepped foot in. Stories to follow upon request... :bravo:

ChiefsKing
12-08-2005, 09:43 PM
We use to go to that old insane asylum in high school and see people from all over there. Sooo many people use to go there every weekend. It was right next to another insane asylum. It seemed there was a level you had to climb in/out through the floor too. We found a room with a bunch of jeans and really old coca-cola hats, and also a room with a bunch of projection equipment. The sober people in our group could take things, but we couldn't carry anything and hold our drinks too.

Valiant
12-08-2005, 09:48 PM
Shit I remember that place.. Been a few years since we went there.. Always had to avoid the guards when trying to get in... We left after twenty minutes because it was too dangerous, the floors were falling in...

There used to be two buildings.. The smaller one was torn down the last time, I took a padded coat from there for crazy people...

Simply Red
12-08-2005, 09:49 PM
We use to go to that old insane asylum in high school and see people from all over there. Sooo many people use to go there every weekend. It was right next to another insane asylum. It seemed there was a level you had to climb in/out through the floor too. We found a room with a bunch of jeans and really old coca-cola hats, and also a room with a bunch of projection equipment. The sober people in our group could take things, but we couldn't carry anything and hold our drinks too.

yeah, I have lived in Atlanta for about. What? 14-yrs. now. But the first 19 yrs. in K.C. and visiting cousin in Pittsburg, KS. I witnessed the craziest in MO. and KS. Much different than Georgia. Believe it or not...

phisherman
12-08-2005, 10:53 PM
the old building at the front of the property that was torn down 1st was actually the old jail...
it's been gone for years now...i think SWAT or something used to use it for storage, my buddies found a ton of tear gas grenades there once

bp

phisherman
12-08-2005, 10:53 PM
and by the way, tell some pittsburg stories..
bp

Simply Red
12-08-2005, 10:59 PM
and by the way, tell some pittsburg stories..
bp

I will later "zzzz" tired. Details to follow phisherman. I promise...

DenverChief
12-09-2005, 12:21 AM
Awesome website. Thanks.

Reminds me of day of the dead...the nike battery

stanleychief
12-09-2005, 12:32 AM
The abandoned insane asylum

The LA coliseum ?

I think they mean Mile High near Invesco. From what I hear, there are people running around out there that think Plummer is Elway reincarnated from what I hear. Crazy bastages.

NewChief
12-09-2005, 08:50 AM

bp

Thanks for posting that link. I'd read an article about these guys a while back in a Fayetteville paper and meant to check out the website. It's cool to see people actually investigating these places that I've always wanted to check out (UofA steam tunnels and Mountain Inn).

For those of you who like ghosty/creepy stuff, you should definitely go to Eureka Springs, AR sometime and stay at the Crescent Hotel. Very spooky but cool place.

Kclee
12-09-2005, 09:24 AM
Yeah... I know. It was the "farm" that threw me. The only albino I know lives just like anyone else.

Oh sure, albinos live like anyone else, but these special breeds are not born like you or I. You have to cultivate them from the earth at these "farms". They're usually ripe on a moonless night in Aug. You see, you can't pick them in the full sun. They're ALBINOS.

Eleazar
12-09-2005, 09:33 AM

Dude, an albino is someone with no pigment.

MOhillbilly
12-09-2005, 10:01 AM
Dude, an albino is someone with no pigment.

went to school w/ an albino. he was blind as a bat and strange as hell.

lived in a pink and green house and loved boy george , even in the 3rd grade that was odd.

Simply Red
12-09-2005, 10:22 AM

lived in a pink and green house and loved boy george , even in the 3rd grade that was odd.

ROFL This requires me to spell it out. "Rolling on the floor laughing"!! That is CLASSIC!!!

MOhillbilly
12-09-2005, 10:25 AM
ROFL This requires me to spell it out. "Rolling on the floor laughing"!! That is CLASSIC!!!

lotta strange kids at Catholic schools.....

Alton deFlat
12-09-2005, 10:50 AM
lies to keep people away.

dont ruin it w/ facts.

Just like Roswell, NM. I know for a fact they have alein craft there. I saw it in a movie with Will Smith.

NewChief
12-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Just like Roswell, NM. I know for a fact they have alein craft there. I saw it in a movie with Will Smith.

BTW,

Roswell is probably one of the biggest wastes of time I've ever had the displeasure of visiting. My wife and I were doing a week in the Guadalupe Mountains for Spring Break one year. We had been out in the backcountry for around 4 days when a serious snowstorm hit. My wife already had the flu before we'd hiked in, so I made the call and we hiked out. Looking for something else to do, we decided to head up to Carlsbad caverns then over to Roswell. Admittedly we went to Roswell as a sort of joke, not expecting much. Even not expecting much, I was dissapointed.

Rain Man
12-09-2005, 11:08 AM

There was an albino guy in my undergrad school, and he had really thick glasses. One time I was walking on campus and he was riding his bike, and he lost control at a pretty good speed and hurtled toward me. I grabbed the handlebars and he was on the brakes, and all that happened was that I slid backwards a couple of feet hanging on to his bike, but I couldn't help pondering the news report of me being killed in a nearsighted albino bike accident.

phisherman
12-09-2005, 11:19 AM
BTW,

Roswell is probably one of the biggest wastes of time I've ever had the displeasure of visiting. My wife and I were doing a week in the Guadalupe Mountains for Spring Break one year. We had been out in the backcountry for around 4 days when a serious snowstorm hit. My wife already had the flu before we'd hiked in, so I made the call and we hiked out. Looking for something else to do, we decided to head up to Carlsbad caverns then over to Roswell. Admittedly we went to Roswell as a sort of joke, not expecting much. Even not expecting much, I was dissapointed.

a bunch of my friends in college went too...
there were all a bunch of excited stoners ready to see some UFO's...

they said it was the lamest experience ever

bp

phisherman
12-09-2005, 11:21 AM
one of my new favorites on the undergroundozarks.com website is the 8th street tunnel..

when DST was demoing a hillside, they found an old street car tunnel from the turn of the 20th century

very cool, check those pics out

bp

Kclee
12-09-2005, 11:27 AM
There was an albino guy in my undergrad school, and he had really thick glasses. One time I was walking on campus and he was riding his bike, and he lost control at a pretty good speed and hurtled toward me. I grabbed the handlebars and he was on the brakes, and all that happened was that I slid backwards a couple of feet hanging on to his bike, but I couldn't help pondering the news report of me being killed in a nearsighted albino bike accident.

Did you use to call him Powder?

NewChief
12-09-2005, 11:27 AM
one of my new favorites on the undergroundozarks.com website is the 8th street tunnel..

when DST was demoing a hillside, they found an old street car tunnel from the turn of the 20th century

very cool, check those pics out

bp

Yeah, I remember reading about that. Also if you like this kind of stuff, check out the documentary film Dark Days. It's about a homeless community that lives in abandoned subway tunnels in NYC. A film maker goes and lives with them and shoots film about their community. It's pretty cool because they have some pretty amazing living spaces for "homeless" people.

phisherman
12-09-2005, 11:34 AM
sounds very cool..

i've read a bit about these on some other websites, those squatters will live anywhere...i saw one guy that actually had made a small apartment in a drawbridge!

bp

ChiefsKing
12-09-2005, 12:30 PM
When I attended SMSU in Springfield there was an african american albino that went there. The only way to tell he was african american was by his features. Weird to see a black guy with red eyes, white hair and skin though, definately something you don't see everyday. I didn't even know about that albino farm there. Was there for four long years and never even had heard about it. Also use to go to Jordan Creek a lot and never knew there were tunnels. Too busy drinking I guess.

MOhillbilly
12-09-2005, 12:43 PM
when we were kids we would go to local caves and get in w/ flashlights and get out in stonecold pitchblack.

bout the most creeped out you can get.

try it.

phisherman
12-09-2005, 12:54 PM
caving's interesting..best to take someone experienced or you can lost very very very easily

bp

NewChief
12-09-2005, 01:05 PM
caving's interesting..best to take someone experienced or you can lost very very very easily

bp

I used to do a lot of caving in high school and college. One of the coolest, and largest, caves I was ever in was located in Madison County Wildlife Refuge. We had been down in the cave for about 2 hours, moving pretty much non stop. We got to a point, and the guy showing us around said, "You can actually swim out of the cave at this point if anyone wants to." Me and a couple of others said we were going to do it. It was pretty crazy because there were points where there was only about a foot or so of air space between the water and roof of the cave.

Anyway, we emerged from the cave in about 5 minutes of swimming, soaking wet, to a temperature of around 40F. We'd given all the rest of the group our car keys and such, so we were locked out of our cars and had to wait for 2 hours for them to make their way back out of the cave the way we'd gone in. Needless to say, we had 2 hours of misery to contemplate our poor decision making skills. No one got hypothermia or even sick, somehow.

MOhillbilly
12-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Anyway, we emerged from the cave in about 5 minutes of swimming, soaking wet, to a temperature of around 40F. We'd given all the rest of the group our car keys and such, so we were locked out of our cars and had to wait for 2 hours for them to make their way back out of the cave the way we'd gone in. Needless to say, we had 2 hours of misery to contemplate our poor decision making skills. No one got hypothermia or even sick, somehow.

shoulda rubed two sticks together....

Sully
12-09-2005, 01:09 PM
I had a prof at Mizzou that was big into spelunking, so he would discuss it at every opportunity in our geog. class. Seems very interesting, if you do it safely.

phisherman
12-09-2005, 01:09 PM
DOGPILE!

sometimes it works for warmth

bp

MOhillbilly
12-09-2005, 01:11 PM
DOGPILE!

sometimes it works for warmth

bp

my dad broke a gig and fell in once.
we did that-saved his ass.

phisherman
12-09-2005, 01:22 PM
hell yes...

people mock it until they're out in freezing cold

bp

MOhillbilly
12-09-2005, 01:24 PM
hell yes...

people mock it until they're out in freezing cold

bp
no doubt.
when it hits the fan all the taboos go out the window.

phisherman
12-09-2005, 01:34 PM
damn straight....btw, love Wild at Heart and Clockwork Orange...

some moloko plus?

bp

Rain Man
12-09-2005, 01:41 PM
when we were kids we would go to local caves and get in w/ flashlights and get out in stonecold pitchblack.

bout the most creeped out you can get.

try it.

I could never do that. It'd creep me out to much to keep thinking, "Hmm...if the flashlight dies, so do I."

Doing scuba spelunking is way beyond my limit. Now you can die even if you just get lost for an hour.

Halfcan
12-09-2005, 01:42 PM
As teens, just for a scare, we used to go party near the Oddfellows home. It was an insane aslum on n. 291 past Indep. toward Liberty. One time someone had left a door open or something and all these elderly and very weird folks were walking out on the spacious lawn in hospitol gowns and pajamas. Very strange night.

Yes Selsa road supposedly had cults. We also used to jump the hill on Ringo road in Indep. before they graded it down due to a bad accident. At fifty you could get about 2-3 feet of air. I ended up in a guys yard driving my moms car-a Granada. Those were the days-lol

phisherman
12-09-2005, 01:53 PM
ringo road was awesome! we jumped that thing a ton of times...

the oddfellows home is also very cool...never got a chance to get inside, but i've seen lots of pics..supposedly the owner is trying to turn it into a vineyard, and he employs a security guard that lives on the grounds...i got chased off once my freshman year in college

bp

MOhillbilly
12-09-2005, 01:54 PM
As teens, just for a scare, we used to go party near the Oddfellows home. It was an insane aslum on n. 291 past Indep. toward Liberty. One time someone had left a door open or something and all these elderly and very weird folks were walking out on the spacious lawn in hospitol gowns and pajamas. Very strange night.

Yes Selsa road supposedly had cults. We also used to jump the hill on Ringo road in Indep. before they graded it down due to a bad accident. At fifty you could get about 2-3 feet of air. I ended up in a guys yard driving my moms car-a Granada. Those were the days-lol

ROFL its not an insane farm the oddfellows is an oldskool thing like the Shriners and KoC.

phisherman
12-09-2005, 01:57 PM
yeah, it's an old folks home...
you can find stuff about it on the web, it's functioned as either an old folks home (for the old fellows order)or an orphanage(sponsored by the oddfellows) all the time it was open
bp

Sully
12-09-2005, 01:58 PM
I remember jumping that. Is that where Ulberg got tore up?

JimNasium
12-09-2005, 01:59 PM
I could never do that. It'd creep me out to much to keep thinking, "Hmm...if the flashlight dies, so do I."

Doing scuba spelunking is way beyond my limit. Now you can die even if you just get lost for an hour.
You never go into a cave without a backup light. Preferably a candle.

JimNasium
12-09-2005, 01:59 PM
ROFL its not an insane farm the oddfellows is an oldskool thing like the Shriners and KoC.
ROFL

Rain Man
12-09-2005, 02:02 PM
You never go into a cave without a backup light. Preferably a candle.

Yeah, but then I'd be going around thinking, "If this flashlight dies and the candle blows out, so do I."

JimNasium
12-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Yeah, but then I'd be going around thinking, "If this flashlight dies and the candle blows out, so do I."
What if you got a back tatoo and brought a microwave oven and a generator......oh, nevermind. :shake:

Halfcan
12-09-2005, 02:05 PM
Yes Oddfellows lodge-but the people in there were nuts. It was a very scary place, especially around back where it was pitch black and trashed. WE were parked behind there smoking one and this old man with a walker, in pajamas, comes out of nowhere and puts his face to the window. Scared the shit out of us. He had some kind of mental problem for sure. When we came back around, it was like Night of the Living Dead. Guys in Hospitol scrubs were trying to round them up. It was comical because they were slow and in pajamas, talking to themselves. It was surreal, especially on a good buzz.

phisherman
12-09-2005, 02:06 PM
I remember jumping that. Is that where Ulberg got tore up?

i thought the one he jumped was back on crackerneck road, back by van hook park

bp

Rain Man
12-09-2005, 02:07 PM
What if you got a back tatoo and brought a microwave oven and a generator......oh, nevermind. :shake:

Maybe I'd take a bunch of lightning bugs with me, or perhaps a jar containing one of those glowing deep-sea fish.

http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/04deepscope/background/deeplight/media/fig3b_600.jpg

Sully
12-09-2005, 02:07 PM
I don't remember at all.
Oh well.

Halfcan
12-09-2005, 02:18 PM
Yep there is one on Crackyourneck road too. It has tracks you can fly over. I wouldn't recomend it-kids have been killed there. That used to be a cool park to party at-but now it is shut down.

Simply Red
12-09-2005, 02:19 PM

bp

Been lost in "Perkins Cave", before

Halfcan
12-09-2005, 10:54 PM
Did you find your way out or are you still there?

listopencil
12-10-2005, 12:57 AM
Maybe I'd take a bunch of lightning bugs with me, or perhaps a jar containing one of those glowing deep-sea fish.

http://oceanexplorer.noaa.gov/explorations/04deepscope/background/deeplight/media/fig3b_600.jpg

I have one of these. Works really well. It's a dynamo/led flashlight from Dorcy.

http://cache.smarthome.com/images/9207.jpg

PittResident
10-24-2008, 12:48 AM
By the way, ever heard of Pittsburg,Ks.? One of the erriest(SP?) towns I have stepped foot in. Stories to follow upon request... :bravo:

Umm... care to elaborate on why you think Pittsburg, KS is one of the eeriest towns you ever stepped foot in? Pittsburg is the biggest city in southeast Kansas, it's a college town with a big university that continues to grow. I've lived here my whole life and still do, I would be curious to hear these stories you claim to have.

Either you don't get out much and haven't been to many towns outside the one you live in or you're just making stuff up.

RedDread
10-24-2008, 12:52 AM
Grats on great timing, bumping a 3 year old thread and replying to a post made by a poster that left 2 days ago.

BWillie
10-24-2008, 01:04 AM
Can I have his casino cash?

POND_OF_RED
10-24-2008, 01:16 AM
Anyone ever been to the old Jackson County Jail or the Vaile Mansion? I've always heard those were the two most haunted places in the area. They look scary enough. Especially the Vaile Mansion. I don't know if I'd have the balls to walk through that place at night.

Jewish Rabbi
10-24-2008, 01:25 AM
Grats on great timing, bumping a 3 year old thread and replying to a post made by a poster that left 2 days ago.

Whoo! I turned his rep red!!

10-24-2008, 01:32 AM
how the hell does a n00b manage to find a 3 year old thread?

RustShack
10-24-2008, 01:35 AM
Hes not really a n00b... hes one of the ghosts...

Al Bundy
10-24-2008, 04:54 AM
Was the insane asylum on the south side of the complex? On the hill?

I also seem to remember an old haunted house at about 31st street (about 10 blocks or so east of Main) that was creepy as hell (an old hospital I think?)

Was it called the Haunted Hospital? Was it an insane asylum? I remember going downstairs to the basement to start off and it was all cement and bricks and no windows....creepy.

It was called Dr. Deadly's Haunted Hospital, located over on Forrest. It was my favorite haunted house.

PittResident
10-24-2008, 06:37 AM
how the hell does a n00b manage to find a 3 year old thread?

I was doing a google search for Haunted Pittsburg, KS and this thread appeared in the search result, and then I saw that one dude saying Pittsburg was the most eerie town he's ever been in and I couldn't resist but ask why.

Jewish Rabbi
11-02-2008, 01:13 PM
Maybe now SR can answer the n00b's question?

LiL stumppy
11-02-2008, 01:22 PM
its a place in Springfield where albinos used to live.

Ill dig some pics(creepy) up tommorow.

Used to be a big thing around school last year, haven't heard much about it recently though.

eazyb81
11-02-2008, 01:25 PM

Why are you calling anyone a n00b you n00b? Be quiet unless spoken to.

Jewish Rabbi
11-02-2008, 01:36 PM
Why are you calling anyone a n00b you n00b? Be quiet unless spoken to.

?

Simply Red
09-04-2011, 01:42 PM

This was answered on here, several times.

Al Bundy
09-04-2011, 01:54 PM
Wow.. I remember this thread.

Simply Red
09-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Wow.. I remember this thread.

It's really amazing just how long it feels I've been here. I look at others joining in 2000-It's definitely cool, but where does the time go?!

Simply Red
09-19-2018, 02:52 PM
Great job in tracking this down, Bugeater!

https://pendergastkc.org/collection/9569/bama-00000296a/kansas-city-tuberculosis-hospital-no-2

srvy
09-19-2018, 04:01 PM
Oddfellows Insane Asylum off 291 in Liberty Mo. Supposedly haunted had to do a complete architectural survey there measuring all the buildings inside and out. The had pans to start a resort and winery there. We split up using hand held electronic distant measuring devices. Was creepy but witnessed nothing weird or paranormal.
<iframe width="927" height="695" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lGPKMuRxIfw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="1236" height="695" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZWf6tRsVTTo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Glore Insane Asylum St Joe Mo. same thing when prison took over old hospital. Again witnessed nothing.
<iframe width="1043" height="695" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iGETBFYzjw8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now the old Wonder Bread Bakery on Troost and 30th can go fuck itself. Something in that place wasnt right. The caretaker would unlock it for us to go in to measure it up. He told us its haunted and work in groups we just rolled our eyes. I was in a solid concrete walled room where the old oven used to be that has a flue out to a brick smoke stack. It was thick walls and cooler there which seemed odd but not out ordinary. I was measuring alone when I felt a tap on my back I turned thinking it was a co-worker but nothing but a shadow that moved along wall then out the opening where the old oven door once was. I freaked and got out the basement area and went the the 3rd floor where co worker was he said he hadnt left the floor. Then he asked me if I was using the old freight elevator as he had heard it all morning. I told him I wouldnt even try that old rickety thing. We heard it a lot over the week we spent in there. I asked the caretaker if he was using it he said as far as he knows we are the only one in the building and the freight elevator hadnt worked in years. He said I told you there is a ghost with a dead serious look. I was never so happy to finish that job. Its apartments now im told.

Simply Red
09-19-2018, 04:20 PM
Oddfellows Insane Asylum off 291 in Liberty Mo. Supposedly haunted had to do a complete architectural survey there measuring all the buildings inside and out. The had pans to start a resort and winery there. We split up using hand held electronic distant measuring devices. Was creepy but witnessed nothing weird or paranormal.
<iframe width="927" height="695" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lGPKMuRxIfw" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="1236" height="695" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ZWf6tRsVTTo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Glore Insane Asylum St Joe Mo. same thing when prison took over old hospital. Again witnessed nothing.
<iframe width="1043" height="695" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/iGETBFYzjw8" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Now the old Wonder Bread Bakery on Troost and 30th can go **** itself. Something in that place wasnt right. The caretaker would unlock it for us to go in to measure it up. He told us its haunted and work in groups we just rolled our eyes. I was in a solid concrete walled room where the old oven used to be that has a flue out to a brick smoke stack. It was thick walls and cooler there which seemed odd but not out ordinary. I was measuring alone when I felt a tap on my back I turned thinking it was a co-worker but nothing but a shadow that moved along wall then out the opening where the old oven door once was. I freaked and got out the basement area and went the the 3rd floor where co worker was he said he hadnt left the floor. Then he asked me if I was using the old freight elevator as he had heard it all morning. I told him I wouldnt even try that old rickety thing. We heard it a lot over the week we spent in there. I asked the caretaker if he was using it he said as far as he knows we are the only one in the building and the freight elevator hadnt worked in years. He said I told you there is a ghost with a dead serious look. I was never so happy to finish that job. Its apartments now im told.

I will read this once it's dark. Thanks

suzzer99
09-19-2018, 05:16 PM
So awesome. We probably went out there a half-dozen times at night. There was a specific route that would get you to the roof. Also places you could fall through the floor if not careful. It was soooooo creepy in there.

Er not Oddfellows but the one out by Arrowhead. That's been torn down right?

Simply Red
09-19-2018, 05:21 PM
So awesome. We probably went out there a half-dozen times at night. There was a specific route that would get you to the roof. Also places you could fall through the floor if not careful. It was soooooo creepy in there.

Er not Oddfellows but the one out by Arrowhead. That's been torn down right?

Yes Bugeater found it - a few posts above - If you google maps it - you can still see some foundation and the errie trees w/ the drive way / entrance. Still looks like something from a horror film. If this wasn't my first thread it was my second or third.

Simply Red
09-19-2018, 05:24 PM
this (https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0387753,-94.4921972,3a,15y,316.95h,92.13t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sNEt-3Vn3hnq5wzmAafeJmg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656) is it - SO DOPE!

srvy
09-19-2018, 05:55 PM
The after renovation Odd Fellows home becomes Belvior Winery but ghosts stayed.
<iframe width="1236" height="695" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/OK7rGq0Gbd0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Easy 6
09-19-2018, 05:58 PM
Somehow missed this thread, nice find here

The Oddfellows Insane Asylum, what a fitting name... and it absolutely looks the part

Its the perfect time of year for this thread...

Simply Red
09-19-2018, 05:59 PM
srvy why are your embeds so big?

srvy
09-19-2018, 06:30 PM
srvy why are your embeds so big?

i dont know just copied the embed code as I usually do.

Simply Red
09-19-2018, 06:51 PM

well thanks for sharing. That's weird.

New World Order
09-19-2018, 06:55 PM
Went to Oddfellows in high school (2002) and went inside. Didn't experience anything paranormal either.

Some other friends went there a separate time and got caught by security. They were arrested and had to go to court etc..

srvy
09-19-2018, 07:41 PM
well thanks for sharing. That's weird.

I wonder if copying the embed with it open and expanded does this. I was on a PC and right clicked the expanded open video clip.

Simply Red
09-19-2018, 07:56 PM
I wonder if copying the embed with it open and expanded does this. I was on a PC and right clicked the expanded open video clip.

I'm not sure - the computer douches on here - like SNR, GoChiefs, Loochy and Fish would know.

Bugeater
09-19-2018, 08:38 PM
Yes Bugeater found it - a few posts above - If you google maps it - you can still see some foundation and the errie trees w/ the drive way / entrance. Still looks like something from a horror film. If this wasn't my first thread it was my second or third.
The link you posted was for the tuberculosis hospital, that's down closer to Lee's Summit.

So the other place by Arrowhead was the insane asylum?

Bugeater
09-19-2018, 08:39 PM
<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m13!1m11!1m3!1d1361.290989360847!2d-94.49372024525312!3d39.04249009066091!2m2!1f0!2f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!5e1!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v153741 1132771" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bugeater
09-19-2018, 08:41 PM
<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!4v1537411261808!6m8!1m7!1st0z-4KKDG9wF-9vTu8CXsw!2m2!1d39.03879025390696!2d-94.49248882633445!3f331.3340629145111!4f-4.971591597017877!5f1.9587109090973311" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee
09-19-2018, 08:46 PM

Your embed code usually retains the size and aspect that is on your device when you request it.

That is, if you embed from a fullscreen video, you embed a size that would fill your screen. If you have a video open at a certain size [720x1080, etc] it embeds that size. You can look at the embed code and figure out what part is setting the video size.

For example, here's an embed request, and the video size is bolded

<.iframe width="950" height="534" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GgD3Um_f0DQ" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe.>

Simply Red
09-19-2018, 08:49 PM
The link you posted was for the tuberculosis hospital, that's down closer to Lee's Summit.

So the other place by Arrowhead was the insane asylum?

Actually we (in high school) thought it was an Insane Asylum - but someone in this thread had indicated it was a Tuberculosis Hosp. So it's a little foggy and unclear.

Simply Red
09-19-2018, 08:50 PM
this place you could see the top of the facility from Arrowhead - it was literally on the Raytown, Kc and Independence meeting pt.

Bugeater
09-19-2018, 09:31 PM
this place you could see the top of the facility from Arrowhead - it was literally on the Raytown, Kc and Independence meeting pt.
Well that's definitely the one I posted and sent to you. The address doesn't jive with the hospital though.

Here's the Oddfellows place in Liberty.

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m18!1m12!1m3!1d1299.8118504318438!2d-94.40822273794984!3d39.2284847429185!2m3!1f0!2f0!3f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!3m3!1m2!1s0x87c0fffaaf7 6d347%3A0x3ae25c163665e999!2sBelvoir+Winery+and+Inn!5e1!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v1537414284854" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bugeater
09-19-2018, 09:33 PM
This is as close as you can get from StreetView

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!4v1537414368221!6m8!1m7!1skb1bYsmNIWY0WVC-TMqE7g!2m2!1d39.22784475233816!2d-94.41165478571637!3f76.34970882235572!4f-9.285909703521583!5f1.1924812503605782" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bugeater
09-19-2018, 09:34 PM
Soooo...basically we have no idea what the place by Arrowhead was called? How long ago was it torn down?

Otter
09-20-2018, 03:53 AM
This is as close as you can get from StreetView

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!4v1537414368221!6m8!1m7!1skb1bYsmNIWY0WVC-TMqE7g!2m2!1d39.22784475233816!2d-94.41165478571637!3f76.34970882235572!4f-9.285909703521583!5f1.1924812503605782" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's the perfect gate for stopping a 95 year old, blind man on a scooter.

Naptown Chief
09-20-2018, 05:02 AM
There's one a few minutes outside of Annapolis, MD. It was an African American mental hospital and the shit that went down there is unfathomable. Even after desegregation and even after the Nuremberg trials, which dealt explicitly with human rights, the treatment and torture of blacks there was unreal. There's something like 1600 unmarked Graves and over 30% of people who were sent there died. It was a concentration camp for Baltimore's mentally ill, homeless, or other "detriments of society."

http://darkroom.baltimoresun.com/2015/01/crownsville-state-hospital/#1

https://www-capitalgazette-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/www.capitalgazette.com/cg-tragic-chapter-of-crownsville-state-hospitals-legacy-20140730-story,amp.html?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.capitalgazette.com%2Fcg-tragic-chapter-of-crownsville-state-hospitals-legacy-20140730-story.html

srvy
09-20-2018, 06:30 AM
Soooo...basically we have no idea what the place by Arrowhead was called? How long ago was it torn down?

I always knew it as the KC Municipal Farm and Jail. I believe the insane asylum was on the same property.

Bob Dole
09-20-2018, 06:37 AM
MO had numbered State Hospitals until they were defunded in the 1980s. There was one in Nevada, MO, which has since been torn down. They used to make us go sing for them when I was a kid. Scarred for life.

http://www.asylumprojects.org/index.php/Nevada_State_Hospital

srvy
09-20-2018, 06:43 AM
This is the Wonder Bakery at 30th and Troost opened in 1914 and one haunted place its now lofts. I wonder if folks living there now have had encounters.
http://i0.wp.com/midtownkcpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/campbell-baking-company-1923.jpg?w=600

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 06:52 AM

that could be a large gaping hole - some time between 1991 and 2000.

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 06:53 AM
I always knew it as the KC Municipal Farm and Jail. I believe the insane asylum was on the same property.

srvy could be right?

srvy
09-20-2018, 07:20 AM
Old city jail property going to vegetables, maybe goats

This historic photo (date unknown) shows the Kansas City Municipal farm buildings and orchard. Soon thee site will be the home of a 100,000 square-foot hydroponic greenhouse Courtesy Kansas City Publlc Library- Missouri Valley Special Collectiions.
This historic photo (date unknown) shows the Kansas City Municipal farm buildings and orchard. Soon the site will be the home of a 100,000 square-foot hydroponic greenhouse. Courtesy Kansas City Public Library- Missouri Valley Special Collections.

Agriculture is coming to the Kansas City Municipal Farm site in a big way, officials said Tuesday.

The former city jail site will be the new home of a 100,000 square-foot hydroponic greenhouse that was to go in Riverfront Park.

BrightFarms, the greenhouse operator, and the city will soon announce the deal, Kimiko Black Gilmore, assistant city manager, reported to the mayor and city manager.

The previous deal to do the $4 million greenhouse by the river fell through, she said.

Also, the non-profit Boys Grow has leased 10 acres at the farm from the city.

The group that teaches city youth about agriculture, marketing and sales is still planning how to use the land, said John Gordon Jr., founder of Boys Grow.

One concept is to put goats there and produce goat milk and goat cheese, he said Tuesday.

They may also set up an education center on wetland property there, he said.

It would be in addition to the farm property and operation at their South Kansas City headquarters.

About a fourth of the 20 to 28 youths in the program each year are from Midtown, he said.

They will not grow anything on the municipal farm property this year, Gordon said, but will instead build up the soil.

“The soil needs some love,” he said. “It’s been a dumping site forever.”

The BrightFarms site will be on the other side of 435 Highway, where the dilapidated old jail remains.

The giant greenhouse will produce a million pounds of tomatoes, lettuce and herbs a year, officials said when it was announced for the Riverfront.

The greenhouse, expected to produce enough vegetables to feed 5,000 people a year, was to create 25 full-time jobs.

http://midtownkcpost.com/old-city-jail-property-going-vegetables-maybe-goats/

http://i1.wp.com/midtownkcpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/municipal-farm.jpg?w=620

chinaski
09-20-2018, 08:30 AM
I remember that place back in the day...the Tuberculosis/Insane Asylum place. I never actually went in though. My mom worked at Park Lane Hospital, which wasn't too far from there...

Does anybody remember the abandoned amusement park called Fairlyland? I remember seeing that place when I was a kid when the folks would take us to Smokestack for BBQ.

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 08:44 AM
I remember that place back in the day...the Tuberculosis/Insane Asylum place. I never actually went in though. My mom worked at Park Lane Hospital, which wasn't too far from there...

Does anybody remember the abandoned amusement park called Fairlyland? I remember seeing that place when I was a kid when the folks would take us to Smokestack for BBQ.

I don't - sounds awesome though. Where was it, roughly?

chinaski
09-20-2018, 08:48 AM
I don't - sounds awesome though. Where was it, roughly?

It was on Prospect Ave. Interesting, there is a Wiki page on it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairyland_Park

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 08:55 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x9tLzCLW5NI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

srvy
09-20-2018, 09:03 AM
I went as a kid to Fairyland Park my Dad loved those places. He took us there once every summer till it started to run down. It had one of the great wooden roller coasters The Wild Cat and the best corndogs I ever ate. Better than the State Fair in Missouri and Iowa we always went to. It was at about 75th and Prospect Ave. It closed in the late 70's.

Dartgod
09-20-2018, 09:04 AM

I remember going there once as a child.

Dartgod
09-20-2018, 09:07 AM
There was also a twin drive-in theater nearby there. One side showed adult films.

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 09:31 AM
Mom says she remembers Fairyland - her dad apparently got sick on beer there - they had a all you can drink beer fest sort of thing - with food and everything. That'd never fly today in a kid-friendly environment. Not so pronounced, anyway. Same with adult films on giant drive-in screens, I suppose.

rabblerouser
09-20-2018, 10:32 AM
The abandoned insane asylum. Is it still there? You know the one by Arrowhead. People in High-school used to go there as a thrill. Kind of a rush. you know. Fill me in I have been away from MO for 14 yrs. now. and I'm like 'whoa' ...

I went there as a teen...

I don't want to do the math on how long ago that was.

Rasputin
09-20-2018, 11:15 AM
I work at an insane asylum

srvy
09-20-2018, 11:16 AM
Did any of you swim at Winwood Beach in KC Northland? They called it the Atlantic City of the west lol. It was right across I-35 where I grew up. We went a few times but mom said it was to dirty and we swam at NKC public pool instead. Over time it dilapidated even more with the damn leaking and causing problems. The lake was drained and now its Chouteau Crossing shopping center.

http://northeastnews.net/pages/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/nuzbot_Tue-Jun-23-20156.jpg

Bugeater
09-20-2018, 11:19 AM
That's the perfect gate for stopping a 95 year old, blind man on a scooter.
LMAO There's a winery in one of the buildings that is open to the public.

Bugeater
09-20-2018, 11:23 AM
MO had numbered State Hospitals until they were defunded in the 1980s. There was one in Nevada, MO, which has since been torn down. They used to make us go sing for them when I was a kid. Scarred for life.

http://www.asylumprojects.org/index.php/Nevada_State_Hospital
Wow! Look at the architecture on that, it's beautiful. Shame that they tore it down.

http://www.asylumprojects.org/images/8/84/Vivkis_Fred_Bell_jpeg_21.jpg

Bob Dole
09-20-2018, 11:26 AM
Wow! Look at the architecture on that, it's beautiful. Shame that they tore it down.

The inside looked like a 16th century castle.

srvy
09-20-2018, 11:27 AM
Dont know if Winwood was haunted or not but seeing its been around since early 1900's people probably drowned. Rumor when I was young 2 brother were wading and mired in the mud and drowned. I know they dredged it and resanded the beach after that.

suzzer99
09-20-2018, 11:52 AM
<iframe src="https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!1m13!1m11!1m3!1d1361.290989360847!2d-94.49372024525312!3d39.04249009066091!2m2!1f0!2f0!3m2!1i1024!2i768!4f13.1!5e1!3m2!1sen!2sus!4v153741 1132771" width="600" height="450" frameborder="0" style="border:0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

From the roof of the "asylum" you could see the correctional facility in the top of the picture (I guess it's a pet adoption center now?). And they could see you. One time a helicopter showed up when we were out there, and we went running.

We were running full steam - my buddy who was out in front forgot there was a chain across the gravel path and didn't see it. He hit it running full stride, did a full 360 flip in the air and landed on his ass. It's still the most violent collision I've ever seen. Amazing that all he got was a giant strawberry on his love handle.

Looking at the map now the place was right next to the helicopter dispatch. It probably was just flying over and we panicked. LOL

suzzer99
09-20-2018, 11:55 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/x9tLzCLW5NI" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When I was a kid, we could afford Worlds of Fun maybe once a summer. But we'd go to Fairyland more often. Even as a little kid I remember thinking the place was kinda sketchy.

Christmas ~ World's of Fun day >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> any other day of the year for a kid.

Naptown Chief
09-20-2018, 12:01 PM

What a gorgeous building

Valiant
09-20-2018, 01:33 PM
We went in the 90s. It was bad then. Probably a death trap today. Surprised it hasn't been bulldozed.

phisherman
09-20-2018, 01:56 PM
The old "asylum" was bulldozed a long time ago. There are community gardens on the property now.

chinaski
09-20-2018, 02:01 PM
There was another small amusement park out by Blue Springs/Independence back in the day. I can't remember the name of it or the exact location...It was geared toward smaller children and I think they had a petting zoo there.

I think it was off of I-70 just West of the 7 Highway exit North of the Interstate. Kind of a small two lane road that went over toward Independence Center. This was in the early to mid 1980's.

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 02:19 PM
There was another small amusement park out by Blue Springs/Independence back in the day. I can't remember the name of it or the exact location...It was geared toward smaller children and I think they had a petting zoo there.

I think it was off of I-70 just West of the 7 Highway exit North of the Interstate. Kind of a small two lane road that went over toward Independence Center. This was in the early to mid 1980's.

where did you grow up?

kysirsoze
09-20-2018, 02:39 PM
Man, no fucking wonder the Chiefs have been cursed.

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 03:32 PM
Man, no ****ing wonder the Chiefs have been cursed.

Hahaha

chinaski
09-20-2018, 04:51 PM
where did you grow up?

Raytown area. Went to Raytown High School. My Grandparents were in Blue Springs.

suzzer99
09-20-2018, 05:04 PM
I moved to Blue Springs in '85. It definitely wasn't there then. But I do have some vague memory of people talking about a kiddie amusement park that wasn't Fairy Land.

Sounds like Duncan Rd. or Pink Hill Rd. Googling for old amusement park on either of those yields nothing.

MTG#10
09-20-2018, 05:14 PM
I so want to believe in ghosts because it sounds fun, but cannot. I've been to countless "haunted places" over the years and have experienced nothing. The only proof I have of the paranormal is stories from other people and highly suspect video.

I believe people think they experience or see things because they want to so bad but its just their imaginations getting the best of them and they cant tell a difference.

Bugeater
09-20-2018, 06:04 PM
I so want to believe in ghosts because it sounds fun, but cannot. I've been to countless "haunted places" over the years and have experienced nothing. The only proof I have of the paranormal is stories from other people and highly suspect video.

I believe people think they experience or see things because they want to so bad but its just their imaginations getting the best of them and they cant tell a difference.
You'll never believe it until you experience it. The first year or so we were in our home numerous things happened that there was simply no other explanation for, and the former owner did die in the home.

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 06:27 PM
I moved to Blue Springs in '85. It definitely wasn't there then. But I do have some vague memory of people talking about a kiddie amusement park that wasn't Fairy Land.

Sounds like Duncan Rd. or Pink Hill Rd. Googling for old amusement park on either of those yields nothing.

no it'd be south of that - there's an outer road on the north side of 70 too - not called the outer road though.

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 06:28 PM
And I agree it'd have been prior to the 80's

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 06:28 PM

you need to find Jesus first, champ.

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 06:31 PM
Mom said it lasted until 1979ish and she seems to think it was called Kiddie-Land off of R.D. Mize Rd.

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 06:37 PM
The Amusement Park question has been escalated to my Blue Springs Facebook group.

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 06:49 PM
Homestead Park/Kiddieland

MTG#10
09-20-2018, 06:57 PM
you need to find Jesus first, champ.

I know plenty of Mexicans, sport.

chinaski
09-20-2018, 06:57 PM

I've experienced paranormal activity a few times, and believe me, I didn't want it. When it happens, it's just a 'whoa/wtf' experience. I wasn't expecting it, wasn't prepared for it....it just happened.

chinaski
09-20-2018, 07:02 PM
Mom said it lasted until 1979ish and she seems to think it was called Kiddie-Land off of R.D. Mize Rd.

That sounds right. Now I remember. If you are going East on 70, the exit before 7 Hwy is R.D. Mize.

And that was my Grandparents exit. There was a Waffle House and a Conoco right off the ramp, and a left turn would take you by a couple of Motel/Hotels I think. That was the road that park was on. Right turn was over toward Woods Chapel Rd, and I think it would take you to 40 Hwy. I also remember Blue Springs Nissan and a Perkins around there back in the day.

Sorry to hijack, just sort of reliving my youth. :)

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 07:04 PM
That sounds right. Now I remember. If you are going East on 70, the exit before 7 Hwy is R.D. Mize.

And that was my Grandparents exit. There was a Waffle House and a Conoco right off the ramp, and a left turn would take you by a couple of Motel/Hotels I think. That was the road that park was on. Right turn was over toward Woods Chapel Rd, and I think it would take you to 40 Hwy. I also remember Blue Springs Nissan and a Perkins around there back in the day.

CJ's Liquor Store ring a bell? Off of Woods Chapel - I bleed retro!

chinaski
09-20-2018, 07:08 PM
CJ's Liquor Store ring a bell? Off of Woods Chapel - I bleed retro!

Not really? I wasn't drinking much back then. I do remember my dad hitting up Spirt World on (I think) 63rd Street in Raytown...by the Post Office...back in the day. ROFL

I bought my first bottle of alcohol at Bergiglia on 350HWY when I turned 21. God, that seems like an eternity and yesterday at the same time. :(

phisherman
09-20-2018, 07:12 PM
Homestead Park/Kiddie Land lasted until the mid to late 80s. It was on R.D. Mize about 1 mile south of Pink Hill Road. They used to have the "HOMESTEAD" letters in the fence that faced R.D. Mize.

See attached.

suzzer99
09-20-2018, 07:45 PM

That was my exit too as a kid - we lived off of Valley View - which is on the other side of the highway. There used to be a Hiram's pizza over there, Big Boy, yeah Perkins, and Future Sport - the arcade I spent many hours in - in the strip mall.

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 07:59 PM
Homestead Park/Kiddie Land lasted until the mid to late 80s. It was on R.D. Mize about 1 mile south of Pink Hill Road. They used to have the "HOMESTEAD" letters in the fence that faced R.D. Mize.

See attached.

phisherman did you graduate from Lee's Scummit?

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 08:00 PM
That exit is actually Woods Chapel but yes - they may have RD Mize on the sign too because it intersects w/ WC. Road.

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 08:02 PM
Spott went ot LSHS too. We remember some of the same people - I was born and raised in Blue Springs - but went to LSHS my freshman year and some of 8th grade - then back to BSHS.

phisherman
09-20-2018, 08:27 PM
phisherman did you graduate from Lee's Scummit?

Nope, Truman High, 1995.

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 08:32 PM
Nope, Truman High, 1995.

think we discussed that once. :)

phisherman
09-20-2018, 08:41 PM
think we discussed that once. :)

Totally possible. I ran around with a lot of folks from various SE Jackson County high schools and partied with tons of different people.

Dartgod
09-20-2018, 08:51 PM
Spott went ot LSHS too. We remember some of the same people - I was born and raised in Blue Springs - but went to LSHS my freshman year and some of 8th grade - then back to BSHS.

I graduated from LSHS in '79

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 09:01 PM
Totally possible. I ran around with a lot of folks from various SE Jackson County high schools and partied with tons of different people.

I'll be on the plaza tomorrow night w/ Claynus and Bugeater - come party bud.

Simply Red
09-20-2018, 09:02 PM

Yeah that rings a bell - we've talked about that - at least once, IIRC.

suzzer99
09-20-2018, 10:44 PM

Is there an internet forum with a higher average age than this one?

I'm 49 and I feel like I might be just barely in the young half of this forum.

I mean anything older they can't usually figure out how to work the internet right? It takes the extreme highs (regular season) and lows (postseason) of Chiefs fandom to drive something like this imo.

Also I haven't seen any other forums with 2000 join dates. Props to AC for getting way ahead of the game.

suzzer99
09-20-2018, 10:49 PM
I'll be on the plaza tomorrow night w/ Claynus and Bugeater - come party bud.

Maybe next year the SD game will actually be in the winter instead of super early when it's still hot as balls out here, and beautiful in KC. If that happens - let's have a big meetup at the StubHub center.

J Diddy
09-20-2018, 11:30 PM
Nah they all moved to Cleveland.

J Diddy
09-20-2018, 11:31 PM
Is there an internet forum with a higher average age than this one?

I'm 49 and I feel like I might be just barely in the young half of this forum.

I mean anything older they can't usually figure out how to work the internet right? It takes the extreme highs (regular season) and lows (postseason) of Chiefs fandom to drive something like this imo.

Also I haven't seen any other forums with 2000 join dates. Props to AC for getting way ahead of the game.

Man you're old.