PDA

View Full Version : Sportsline on LJ

12-09-2005, 04:22 AM
Where does Larry Johnson now rank among the NFL's top backs?

Pete Prisco http://images.sportsline.com/images/author/3708.jpg It's tough to say because the Chiefs have had so much success running the ball, no matter who's carrying it. Priest Holmes has been one of the best backs in the league the past couple of seasons, but when he goes out, the Chiefs don't miss a beat. Derrick Blaylock rushed for 186 yards last year against the Saints when he replaced Holmes, and now Johnson is putting up big numbers. Johnson runs hard and tough, something his doubters questioned. But he also plays behind a quality line, catered to run blocking. His numbers after taking over as a starter would say he's one of the five best in the game. But that's too high. Is he a top 10 back? He is now, but he's not quite among the elite. Funny thing is, a year ago the Chiefs were peddling him around the league in trade talks. And there weren't a lot of takers. You can bet some personnel guys are kicking themselves for not making a deal to get him last year.

Clark Judge

http://images.sportsline.com/images/author/8690.jpg Larry Johnson is a promising back, but he's not an elite back. Not now. Not with a year-and-a-half of significant experience. Johnson has a bright future in Kansas City, and you can't ignore his past -- with five straight 100-yard games this season and 13 touchdowns in eight starts. But let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Timmy Smith set a Super Bowl rushing record and wound up in the discard pile. Icky Woods helped lead the Cincinnati Bengals to the Super Bowl before disappearing. Young running backs have flashed before us before, only to disappear. I don't think that happens here. Johnson is good enough that, if and when Priest Holmes returns, Johnson stays the starter -- and that's strong. But let's wait before anointing him the next ... well, the next Priest Holmes. The signs are encouraging, with Johnson last week showing atypical patience on that 4-yard touchdown run. Frankly, it reminded me of Holmes. Johnson is good. He could be great. But give me another four or five years before making that judgment.

Bob Dole
12-09-2005, 04:28 AM
If Bob Dole was Lawrence Johnson, he'd be pretty pissed off after reading this.

12-09-2005, 04:29 AM
If Bob Dole was Lawrence Johnson, he'd be pretty pissed off after reading this.

That was my thought. I hope he sees this article and just trashes the Dallas D.

Ultra Peanut
12-09-2005, 04:37 AM
If Bob Dole was Lawrence Johnson, he'd be pretty pissed off after reading this.Good...

LJ is special. I doubted him when we drafted him, and I was completely ****ing wrong.

beer bacon
12-09-2005, 04:37 AM
LJ tore it up last year too. Nobody seems to remember that.

tk13
12-09-2005, 04:38 AM
Larry's going to be a really good back, but he still doesn't have that many starts. I can see why people aren't going ga-ga over him yet. Which is fine by me, I hope they keep doubting him, we don't need people kissing his butt yet. DV needs to come out the week before the San Diego game during his press conference and say Larry Johnson makes Richard Simmons look like a real man. Then the playoffs will be ours.

Ultra Peanut
12-09-2005, 04:48 AM
Larry's going to be a really good back, but he still doesn't have that many starts. I can see why people aren't going ga-ga over him yet. Which is fine by me, I hope they keep doubting him, we don't need people kissing his butt yet. DV needs to come out the week before the San Diego game during his press conference and say Larry Johnson makes Richard Simmons look like a real man. Then the playoffs will be ours.ROFL

LJ is like the poster child for ChiefsPlanet; keep f*cking doubting him.

12-09-2005, 04:48 AM
Larry's going to be a really good back, but he still doesn't have that many starts. I can see why people aren't going ga-ga over him yet. Which is fine by me, I hope they keep doubting him, we don't need people kissing his butt yet. DV needs to come out the week before the San Diego game during his press conference and say Larry Johnson makes Richard Simmons look like a real man. Then the playoffs will be ours.

Ouch, LJ might come after you for that one. ROFL

Bob Dole
12-09-2005, 04:52 AM
LJ tore it up last year too. Nobody seems to remember that.

Lawrence Johnson hasn't proven anything in this league.

12-09-2005, 04:53 AM
Lawrence Johnson hasn't proven anything in this league.

Not one damn thing. He needs to take of the diapers.

Skip Towne
12-09-2005, 05:37 AM
I'll need to see him run for another 8 or 9 years before I can be sure.

huskerdooz
12-09-2005, 05:44 AM

Coach Dick Vermiel's Wed 12/21/05 Press Conference:

Elizabeth Merrill: What are your thoughts about LJ and the SD Defense, Coach?

DV: Marty and Wade have them playing at a very high level we'll have to be on top our game to be successful.

Adam Teicher: What about LJ's role in this game?

DV: Well we're going to have to count a great deal on the young man. Heck we're going to have to have all of our kids playing well. Trent, (Gawd I just have so much man love for him), will have to make some plays for us to win.

EM: But what about LJ?

DV: Well, if those big guys up front can control the line of scrimmage and give our QB (Gawd I just have so much man love for him), enough time to survey the field, I just feel he's going to be able to make some big plays.

AT: How important is it that LJ has a big game?

DV: Well it's important of course, but it's important that all our players play well. You know we need all of our players on our roster, even the practice squad players are important. Since you brought it up I think the NFL needs to do away with this inactive list BS. How can you develop your young players if you can't get them any minutes on the field. We've got several players that would benefit from getting into the game for just a little, even if it was for just a few plays at the end of a game. But the way....

Bob Fescoe: BUT COACH VERMIEL, WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING OUT OF LJ IN THIS GAME AGAINST THE CHARGERS?

DV: DAMMIT! you people are all the same trying to stir up shit in the media and in this locker room.

BF: WELL?

DV: OK well sure, it's time LJ took the ballet slippers and tutu off and strapped on some pads and cleats. Time to become a man, I mean this for damn sure isn't a game for Richard Simmons types now is it. See there you have it, you made me say it. I didn't want to do it, you know what kind of shit you guys stirred up last time.

BF: Coach, did you just compare LJ to Richard Simmons?

Bob Moore (stepping in between the microphone and DV): That will be all the questions for now. Coach Vermiel is a busy man and he needs to help his team prepare for what we're confident will be a resounding victory for the Kansas City Chiefs. If any of you are unsure and aren't quite clear about Coach Vermiel's responses, you will find a typed and laminated printout that was prepared prior to the press conference. I'm sure all of your questions will be answered by the information provided there.

4th and Long
12-09-2005, 05:44 AM
Articles like this make Mr. Johnson run angry. Nifty.

12-09-2005, 05:47 AM
We need this every week right on up to the SB. LOL

MadMax
12-09-2005, 06:42 AM
I'll need to see him run for another 8 or 9 years before I can be sure.

yes me too bro, thanks for interrupting my Larrybation.. :p And to all the haters I just say thanks!! You show the reasons I take your opinions so lightly..... :p And also sorry Skip, I shoulda stayed and fought the hard fight earlier lol God bless the Priest, But long live da king!!! ;) Now attack like you lil post whores like to do.... :hmmm:

Extra Point
12-09-2005, 06:51 AM
Bob Fescoe: BUT COACH VERMIEL, WHAT ARE YOU EXPECTING OUT OF LJ IN THIS GAME AGAINST THE CHARGERS?

DV: DAMMIT! you people are all the same trying to stir up shit in the media and in this locker room.

BF: WELL?

DV: OK well sure, it's time LJ took the ballet slippers and tutu off and strapped on some pads and cleats. Time to become a man, I mean this for damn sure isn't a game for Richard Simmons types now is it. See there you have it, you made me say it. I didn't want to do it, you know what kind of shit you guys stirred up last time.

BF: Coach, did you just compare LJ to Richard Simmons?

Bob Moore (stepping in between the microphone and DV): That will be all the questions for now. Coach Vermiel is a busy man and he needs to help his team prepare for what we're confident will be a resounding victory for the Kansas City Chiefs. If any of you are unsure and aren't quite clear about Coach Vermiel's responses, you will find a typed and laminated printout that was prepared prior to the press conference. I'm sure all of your questions will be answered by the information provided there.

Is this for real?

If so, Fescoe's name is now Fescue, 'cause DV made his a$$ grass!

the Talking Can
12-09-2005, 06:52 AM
not resigning Blaylock was a big mistake...

Bob Dole
12-09-2005, 07:00 AM
not resigning Blaylock was a big mistake...

It was a mistake, but not because Johnson is a big fat crybaby who hasn't proven anything.

chefsos
12-09-2005, 07:46 AM
Johnson is good. He could be great. But give me another four or five years before making that judgment.
Gawdam, Judge, in four or five years you'll be telling us that Johnson is past his prime at 30. You might want to make up your mind sometime before then. We'll all be holding our collective breath waiting for your blessing. Yeah we will.

Skip Towne
12-09-2005, 08:02 AM
Gawdam, Judge, in four or five years you'll be telling us that Johnson is past his prime at 30. You might want to make up your mind sometime before then. We'll all be holding our collective breath waiting for your blessing. Yeah we will.
Judge is and idiot.

KevB
12-09-2005, 08:15 AM
Timmy Smith? Give me a fricken' break. Not only has LJ lit everyone up everytime he gets significant carries, he also has the pedigree to suggest he's a very good back. 2000 yard season at Penn St., first round pick.....c'mon Sportsline, you're better than that (ok, maybe not).

Bob Dole
12-09-2005, 08:23 AM
Timmy Smith? Give me a fricken' break. Not only has LJ lit everyone up everytime he gets significant carries, he also has the pedigree to suggest he's a very good back. 2000 yard season at Penn St., first round pick.....c'mon Sportsline, you're better than that (ok, maybe not).

Is Penn State even a Division I school?

Johnson hasn't proven anything.

KC Jones
12-09-2005, 08:29 AM
Is Penn State even a Division I school?

Johnson hasn't proven anything.

He's not even good enough to play for Penn State anymore. That kid needs to be a man and learn to play football. He's still just a jellyfish. I doubt he'll even get 10 yards against the great Cowboys defense.

Bob Dole
12-09-2005, 08:30 AM
He's not even good enough to play for Penn State anymore. That kid needs to be a man and learn to play football. He's still just a jellyfish. I doubt he'll even get 10 yards against the great Cowboys defense.

Pretty-boy, fashion model pussy.

stumppy
12-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Larry who ?

htismaqe
12-09-2005, 08:48 AM
I wonder how Derrick Blaylock faired without Willie Roaf in the lineup? I wonder how Priest Holmes faired without Roaf in the lineup?

Say what you want about the line - even without Roaf, Johnson makes his own holes sometimes...

Bob Dole
12-09-2005, 08:52 AM
I wonder how Derrick Blaylock faired without Willie Roaf in the lineup? I wonder how Priest Holmes faired without Roaf in the lineup?

Say what you want about the line - even without Roaf, Johnson makes his own holes sometimes...

Beginners luck. He hasn't proven that it's not just a fluke.

Hoover
12-09-2005, 09:16 AM
Yeah, and first round draft pick, rushed for 2k his senior year in college, and does nothing but get 100 yard games when he starts a game. So yeah, he might be a top 10 back....

I'm not saying he is Edge, LT, or Alexander, but I say he's right after that group and gaining ground...FAST

Bob Dole
12-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Yeah, and first round draft pick, rushed for 2k his senior year in college, and does nothing but get 100 yard games when he starts a game. So yeah, he might be a top 10 back....

I'm not saying he is Edge, LT, or Alexander, but I say he's right after that group and gaining ground...FAST

So you're just spouting off about his potential...

irishjayhawk
12-09-2005, 10:06 AM
I found it kinda annoying that every back Denver plugs into their system is automatically an elite back but when we do the same thing ours aren't immediately elite because we have an offensive line.

I mirror Hoover's sentiments as well.

Lzen
12-09-2005, 10:11 AM
Prisco is an idiot. But I thought Judge was fair in his assessment. He did say that he thought LJ was bound for superstardom. He just didn't want to proclaim him a superstar until he's done this for a couple years. That's fair, IMO. And I think LJ will continue tearing up the league. :)

Rain Man
12-09-2005, 10:38 AM
How is our line "catered to run blocking"? We're second in the league in passing yards since 2001.