PDA

View Full Version : Bears linemen fined $50,000 each

dirk digler
12-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Crazy incident..

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/trib/pmupdate/s_402494.html

Bears linemen fined $50,000 each

NEW YORK (AP) - Chicago Bears offensive linemen Olin Kreutz and Fred Miller were fined $50,000 each Friday for a fight that violated the NFL's personal conduct policy.

The players were involved in the fight last month at the FBI shooting range in the Chicago area, prompting an internal investigation by the bureau.

NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue fined Kreutz and Miller because the league's special conduct policy addresses off-field matters. It specifically prohibits conduct that endangers NFL employees and casts a negative light on the league and its players.

Kreutz broke Miller's jaw during the altercation. Miller, who needed surgery, originally claimed he was hurt in a fall at home. Bears coach Lovie Smith was unaware of the fight until days after it occurred.

After details of the fight became known, Smith said, "We'll handle it within, and that's really all I'm going to (say) about it." He said the players would not be suspended, but intimated they would be fined by the Bears.

Harold Lewis, who represents Miller, said on Nov 16: "If we get a fine from the league, we'll work it out with the league. If we get a fine from the Bears, we'll work it out with the Bears."

The broken jaw knocked Miller, one of the key offseason acquisitions, out of the 49ers' game on Nov. 13 and ended a run of 110 straight starts dating to 1998.

Kreutz has not missed any games because of the incident.

KCTitus
12-09-2005, 01:11 PM
I allways live by the rule not to get involved in a fight at a SHOOTING range.

ChiefsfaninPA
12-09-2005, 02:07 PM
I allways live by the rule not to get involved in a fight at a SHOOTING range.

Smart, smart man.