PDA

View Full Version : Does being "thanked" bother you?

Mr. Laz
12-09-2005, 03:25 PM
i find it uncomfortable .... i prefer just a nod and "kewl ... thanks" and then just let it go at that.

i bought a person a Christmas present(new computer) cause they needed one. It wasn't a real expensive one, i just wanted them to have one that wouldn't cause them so many problems. I knew they couldn't really afford one at the moment.

they called to say thanks ... i saw the caller ID and didn't pick up.

i don't really know why other then i knew they were going to say "thanks" and make a big deal about it.

just knowing they appreciated it enough to call is plenty thanks.

is it weird that i would just as soon have them leave it at that?

teedubya
12-09-2005, 03:26 PM
its called gratitude, and it is a wonderful thing. You did a nice thing, so let them show you the gratitude, and move on... or else, just stop doing nice things.

teedubya
12-09-2005, 03:27 PM
and if they didnt say thanks, you would probably call them ungrateful.

chagrin
12-09-2005, 03:27 PM
i prefer being blown like when holly over here in shared resources wants to say thank you i prefer a blowjob but since that will never happen i guess i can accept a thanks instead btw did you know that if the chiefs win 3 of the last 4 games they might make the playoffs omgwtfbbq

Pants
12-09-2005, 03:38 PM
I know what you're saying, Laz, or at least I think I do. Sometimes I don't feel comfortable when people are too gratefull for something that wasn't a very big deal in my eyes. However, when it is deserved, gratitude feels damn good.

beavis
12-09-2005, 03:39 PM
I have a harder time taking a compliment than I do a thank you.

seclark
12-09-2005, 03:39 PM
i don't need your thanks, but i'll sure as hell take your money.
sec

Mr. Laz
12-09-2005, 03:40 PM
me too

KcMizzou
12-09-2005, 03:45 PM
Just give 'em the old.. "Ah, it's nothin'." And change the subject.

Simply Red
12-09-2005, 03:46 PM
i prefer being blown like when holly over here in shared resources wants to say thank you i prefer a blowjob but since that will never happen i guess i can accept a thanks instead btw did you know that if the chiefs win 3 of the last 4 games they might make the playoffs omgwtfbbq

That is now the funniest thing I have seen all day. ROFL

KCChiefsMan
12-09-2005, 03:48 PM
it depends on the situation. I don't like it if I go out of the way for someone, whether I know them or not, and they do not say thank you. For example if you hold a door open for someone at a store I think it's rude if they can't say a quick thanks.

Hog Rider
12-09-2005, 03:48 PM
No opinion, but Thanks for askin'!

KCChiefsMan
12-09-2005, 03:50 PM
"omgwtfbbq"

oh my god what the f*ck barbeque??? what does that mean?

Mark M
12-09-2005, 05:00 PM
If you buy me a new computer I promise not to thank you ...

MM
~~:grovel: :D

Rausch
12-09-2005, 05:03 PM

Ditto. I'm not real good with compliments.

CosmicPal
12-09-2005, 05:42 PM
thank you

beer bacon
12-09-2005, 05:50 PM
I don't let people get away with that thanking shit. Just who do they think they are? Last lady that thanked me got punched right in the mouth.

Bob Dole
12-09-2005, 05:51 PM
When you are thanked as frequently and profusely as Bob Dole is, you get used to it.

wilas101
12-09-2005, 06:01 PM
I don't have a problem with being thanked. My wife would say its because I'm never nice to anyone but she's a stupid b|itch so I ignore her.

*thread hijack in progress*

What gets me is being fawned over at work. We have one supervisor who insists on giving high fives and saying "good job!" and "great work!" and practically celebrating the fact that someone does their job.... not something extra but merely their job.

I just don't get it... I guess people are so insecure in their jobs they need reassured that they are performing adequately enough to keep from being fired. I know when I'm doing my job and I know when I'm screwing off and not doing it... I don't need someone constantly telling me about it. Come tell me good job when I save a family of midgets from a fire or something. Until then just let me work in peace.

beer bacon
12-09-2005, 06:02 PM
I don't have a problem with being thanked. My wife would say its because I'm never nice to anyone but she's a stupid b|itch so I ignore her.

What gets me is being fawned over at work. We have one supervisor who insists on giving high fives and saying "good job!" and "great work!" and practically celebrating the fact that someone does their job.... not something extra but merely their job.

I just don't get it... I guess people are so insecure in their jobs they need reassured that they are performing adequately enough to keep from being fired. I know when I'm doing my job and I know when I'm screwing off and not doing it... I don't need someone constantly telling me about it.

Hell yeah buddy! Next time your boss tells you good job you should key his car. That will show the lousy bastard!

Bob Dole
12-09-2005, 06:03 PM

I just don't get it... I guess people are so insecure in their jobs they need reassured that they are performing adequately enough to keep from being fired. I know when I'm doing my job and I know when I'm screwing off and not doing it... I don't need someone constantly telling me about it. Come tell me good job when I save a family of midgets from a fire or something. Until then just let me work in peace.

Great work!

http://www.mobica.com/images/high-five.jpg

wilas101
12-09-2005, 06:04 PM
heh... actually it's a her and I guess that annoying part is that she isn't even my boss.

I told her today not to do it anymore and I think I hurt her feelings. :/

Now I have to apologize or she won't make it a point to lean over and let me see down her shirts anymore.

Bob Dole
12-09-2005, 06:05 PM
heh... actually it's a her and I guess that annoying part is that she isn't even my boss.

Now I have to apologize or she won't make it a point to lean over and let me see down her shirts anymore.

Great work!

http://www.mobica.com/images/high-five.jpg

wilas101
12-09-2005, 06:06 PM
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by wilas101

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Great work!

Thanks! :)

greg63
12-10-2005, 01:59 PM

me too

I'm the same way, but there is something to be said for being gracious enough to accept gratitude for such a kindness. Kind people do kind things without any forethought of gratitude, but part of that kindness is saying you're welcome. IMO.

Nightfyre
12-10-2005, 05:05 PM
YOURE NO RAINMAN!

digi2fish
12-10-2005, 05:20 PM
it depends
but I think the "keep it minimum" is the best option.
I do feel uncomfortable being thanked sometimes.