PDA

View Full Version : In The First round, The Chiefs Select...

jspchief
12-09-2005, 10:23 PM
Marcus Mcneill, Auburn University.

A monster of a left tackle (6'9", 330lbs), he has excellent feet for a guy his size. May have relied too much on that size in pass protection at the college level, but has all the tangibles to make a great tackle. He's got great lateral movement, and does well getting to the next level in run blocking.

I think this guy could be a stud. He has the feet to fit into our run scheme perfectly. He reminds me of Roaf in that he's so quick for such a large man.

We'd be lucky to have him available when we're picking in round 1.

listopencil
12-09-2005, 10:26 PM
We have two first rounders to package for a move up the board.

htismaqe
Do you think he'll still be available, even though we'll be picking last? ;)

unlurking
Haven't been watching much draft positioning yet. Are there any round/pick draft predictions out there yet? Is this a guy that will be available in the latter half of the draft (I mean after the NFC teams pick that is)?

htismaqe
12-09-2005, 10:27 PM

So?

You're gonna need those to get a couple more corners...

listopencil
12-09-2005, 10:29 PM
So?

Nah. We have both of our CBOF on the roster. That's the upside of playing highly talented rookies.

unlurking
12-09-2005, 10:30 PM
So?

I thought it was in case SloMo re-entered the draft?

listopencil
12-09-2005, 10:31 PM
I thought it was in case SloMo re-entered the draft?

Give us a few more compensatory picks and we'll take a few more chances. Third rounders? We go through 'em like water.

Mecca
12-09-2005, 10:32 PM
The last mock I saw had us picking Rodrique Wright. As far as Mcneil goes the last I saw on him his stock had dropped him to a 2nd round guy, of course with combines all that can change.

cdcox
12-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Haven't been watching much draft positioning yet. Are there any round/pick draft predictions out there yet? Is this a guy that will be available in the latter half of the draft (I mean after the NFC teams pick that is)?

You rang?

Draft order probabilities for the Chiefs:

jspchief
12-09-2005, 10:52 PM
I like Rodrique Wright, but I don't like the idea of taking a DT yet again with an early pick. If Sims plays well, I can live with him and Dalton, and pray that Siavii isn't the piece of crap that I believe he is.

As for being there, I think there's a chance he'll still be around. I've seen him projected as late as the 4th tackle taken, but I have him third ahead of Justice (who I know nothing about) and behind Ferguson and Winston.

There's probably the best crop of LBs the draft has seen in decades, but I feel like we are strong enough at that position already.

BigRedChief
12-09-2005, 11:27 PM

How do we have 2 first rounders?

Ultra Peanut
12-09-2005, 11:29 PM
Omar Tapeh!

unlurking
12-09-2005, 11:33 PM
How do we have 2 first rounders?
That's the donx.

BigRedChief
12-09-2005, 11:35 PM
That's the donx.
Good. thought I was having a flashback.

Tribal Warfare
12-09-2005, 11:37 PM

Shannahan will probably go for a WR since Rod Smith isn't getting any younger

listopencil
12-09-2005, 11:41 PM
Shannahan will probably go for a WR since Rod Smith isn't getting any tounger

Don't know. I've heard it's deep for O-Linemen. I'd like to see them snag someone (or two) who could start at Guard and move over to OT later. Our C (Nalen) is getting up there and our Guards will be very weak when Hamilton (Guard) moves over to replace him.

Mecca
12-09-2005, 11:52 PM
I like Rodrique Wright, but I don't like the idea of taking a DT yet again with an early pick. If Sims plays well, I can live with him and Dalton, and pray that Siavii isn't the piece of crap that I believe he is.

As for being there, I think there's a chance he'll still be around. I've seen him projected as late as the 4th tackle taken, but I have him third ahead of Justice (who I know nothing about) and behind Ferguson and Winston.

There's probably the best crop of LBs the draft has seen in decades, but I feel like we are strong enough at that position already.

Eric Winston and Marcus McNeil may very well be tackles 4 and 5 off the board from what I've read. Right now it looks like Ferguson, Joe Thomas from Wisconsin and Jon Scott from Texas are ahead of them.

jspchief
12-10-2005, 12:31 AM
Eric Winston and Marcus McNeil may very well be tackles 4 and 5 off the board from what I've read. Right now it looks like Ferguson, Joe Thomas from Wisconsin and Jon Scott from Texas are ahead of them.I'd take Mcneill over Scott in a heartbeat. He's bigger, faster, and has been more productive against better competition for longer.

I haven't heard much about Thomas.

Tribal Warfare
12-10-2005, 12:38 AM
I'd take Mcneill over Scott in a heartbeat. He's bigger, faster, and has been more productive against better competition for longer.

I really like Eric Winston also, and I don't know why his stock is dropping he's been playing damn good.

Mecca
12-10-2005, 12:39 AM
I'd take Mcneill over Scott in a heartbeat. He's bigger, faster, and has been more productive against better competition for longer.

Thomas is 6'8 295lbs he's also an underclassmen so there's no guarentee he'll come out. But odds are if he does he's a top 15 guy.

jspchief
12-10-2005, 12:39 AM
I still think Winston will be the second tackle taken in the draft.

Mecca
12-10-2005, 12:40 AM
I really like Eric Winston also, and I don't know why his stock is dropping he's been playing damn good.

He's not completely recovered from a torn ACL for one. He hasn't lived up to what he was suppose to be so that affects his stock.

Mecca
12-10-2005, 12:43 AM
Here are the scouts inc top 32 players of last month........

Scouts Inc.'s Top 32
RANK NAME POS CLASS SCHOOL PREV
1. Reggie Bush RB JR USC 1
2. Matt Leinart QB SR USC 2
3. D'Brickashaw Ferguson OT SR Virginia 4
4. A.J. Hawk OLB SR Ohio State 3
5. Mario Williams DE JR N.C. State 5
6. Jimmy Williams DC SR Virginia Tech 6
7. Brady Quinn QB JR Notre Dame 12
8. DeAngelo Williams RB SR Memphis 7
9. Vince Young QB JR Texas 10
10. Mathias Kiwanuka DE SR Boston College 8
11. Demeco Ryans OLB SR Alabama 11
12. Laurence Maroney RB JR Minnesota 9
13. A.J. Nicholson OLB SR Florida State 13
14. Santonio Holmes WR JR Ohio State 14
15. Joe Thomas OT JR Wisconsin 15
16. Chad Greenway OLB SR Iowa 19
17. Haloti Ngata DT JR Oregon 20
18. Tamba Hall DE SR Penn State 16
19. Gabe Watson DT SR Michigan 17
20. Marcedes Lewis TE SR UCLA 18
21. Vernon Davis TE JR Maryland 22
22. Claude Wroten DT SR LSU 23
23. Michael Huff DB SR Texas 26
24. Drew Stanton QB JR Michigan State 24
25. Chad Jackson WR JR Florida 25
26. Quentin Moses DE JR Georgia 27
27. Paul Posluszny OLB JR Penn State 28
28. Marcus Vick QB JR Virginia Tech 21
29. Eric Winston OT SR Miami-FL 32
30. Rodrique Wright DT SR Texas 31
31. Rocky McIntosh OLB SR Miami-FL NR
32. Elvis Dumervil DE SR Louisville NR

listopencil
12-10-2005, 12:47 AM
Lots of good names in there.

Tribal Warfare
12-10-2005, 12:48 AM
He's not completely recovered from a torn ACL for one. He hasn't lived up to what he was suppose to be so that affects his stock.

I know he is recovering, but he still looks pretty fluid on the field.

Mecca
12-10-2005, 12:50 AM
Lots of good names in there.

I'm not sure Dumervil will ever be more than a 3rd down rusher in the NFL. He's quick and explosive but he's so small I think he'll have some problems with NFL tackles.

RedThat
12-10-2005, 12:52 AM
We can beat the Colts. I agree with tk13. I think we are the only team in the AFC that can give them a fist fight. Both 2 high powered offenses going at it. That'd be fun to watch. We have the offense, its back! As far as Im concerned, I dont see anybody stopping LJ. Especially, the way he's running the ball.

I think if they met in the playoffs, Colts/Chiefs, would be a shootout. I dont see both defenses stopping those offenses. The difference maker would be, turnover ratio. We are capable. We got guys on this defense that can make plays.

Mecca
12-10-2005, 12:54 AM
We can beat the Colts. I agree with tk13. I think we are the only team in the AFC that can give them a fist fight. Both 2 high powered offenses going at it. That'd be fun to watch. We have the offense, its back! As far as Im concerned, I dont see anybody stopping LJ. Especially, the way he's running the ball.

I think if they met in the playoffs, Colts/Chiefs, would be a shootout. I dont see both defenses stopping those offenses. The difference maker would be, turnover ratio. We are capable. We got guys on this defense that can make plays.

Isn't this a um draft thread.......

RedThat
12-10-2005, 12:56 AM
Isn't this a um draft thread.......

Oops...my bad, wrong thread.

ROFL

alnorth
12-10-2005, 12:57 AM

We may wanna think about winning a couple more games before drafting strategy for bringing down the Colts juggernaut

Dunit35
12-10-2005, 12:58 AM
http://football.about.com/cs/nfldraft/a/bl_mockdraft_3.htm

never gonna happen...this guy must be retarded or something.

listopencil
12-10-2005, 12:58 AM
I'm not sure Dumervil will ever be more than a 3rd down rusher in the NFL. He's quick and explosive but he's so small I think he'll have some problems with NFL tackles.

No, I mean I like their names. I really don't know shit about those players at all.

Ultra Peanut
12-10-2005, 01:00 AM
No, I mean I like their names.ROFL

jspchief
12-10-2005, 01:04 AM
Wouldn't mind getting Huff from Texas. He's really become a hard nosed CB.

Tribal Warfare
12-10-2005, 01:06 AM

That guy should be shot, and put out of his misery for something as delussional like that.

Mecca
12-10-2005, 01:07 AM

Other than he's a free safety now......

Mecca
12-10-2005, 01:08 AM

He's just going with the best player available idea. Brooks is immensly talented he might have the most talent of any defensive player in college football. Injuries have hurt his stock and he'd probably be best served to go back to school. He could be a top 10 pick next year if he goes back.

RealSNR
12-10-2005, 01:12 AM
I loved what one famous Marcus did for this offense.

Marcus Spears was the Rich Scanlon of the offensive line.

Mecca
12-10-2005, 01:13 AM
Here's another mock.......

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

Tribal Warfare
12-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Here's another mock.......

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

I haven't seen that one, but McNeill and Jon Scott aren't in the 1st?

Dunit35
12-10-2005, 01:34 AM
I like Wright, but maybe thats because I drafted him in Madden :) .

Mecca
12-10-2005, 01:35 AM
I haven't seen that one, but McNeill and Jon Scott aren't in the 1st?

Alot of people don't think all those tackles are going in the first round. Basically no one has McNeill as a first rounder anymore. All this could change but I don't think 5 LT's are going first round either to be honest.

jjchieffan
12-10-2005, 01:49 AM
Quote:Originally Posted by jspchief

Other than he's a free safety now......

Ding,ding,ding we have a winner....A safety to convert to a corner...now that sounds like a king carl pick to me

htismaqe
12-10-2005, 05:03 AM

That's it in a nutshell. We've wasted SO MANY picks on DT's since Vermeil arrived we simply can't afford to take another one that high...

Mecca
12-10-2005, 06:55 AM
That's it in a nutshell. We've wasted SO MANY picks on DT's since Vermeil arrived we simply can't afford to take another one that high...

What if Rod Wright is far and away the best player available when we pick? Are you saying we should take a lesser player just because Wright is a DT and we haven't had that much luck in the past with the position?

CoMoChief
12-10-2005, 08:14 AM
So?

Or a QB when they finally figure out after this season that they can't win anything in the postseason with Jake Mistake Plummer.

htismaqe
12-10-2005, 09:24 AM
What if Rod Wright is far and away the best player available when we pick? Are you saying we should take a lesser player just because Wright is a DT and we haven't had that much luck in the past with the position?

How many other positions do we have to neglect for FIVE years so we can keep picking defensive tackles?

B_Ambuehl
12-10-2005, 11:18 AM
Rod Wright sux. His stock has gone way down since the beginning of the year because he's slow, fat, and looks lazy on the field. That draft analyst (Mike Mayock or whatever his name is?) was on NFL network ripping him a new asshole. I normally don't pay much if any attention to these so called "draft analysts", since most of them are just loudmouthed phuqtards who know jack shit about football, but Mayock does a damn good job putting together film on players and what happens on the film is pretty obvious.

tiptap
12-10-2005, 11:27 AM
To much money for first five or so pick with no real idea that they will contribute. No it would be better to have more picks and not A high pick since we will be needing to fill several places if both Roaf and Shields retire on the line, Richardson or someother loss on the offensive side of the ball. And we still need depth at defensive line. Now some players are a gimmie but I still think numbers are more important for our team.

CanadaKC
12-10-2005, 11:51 AM
I think we'll take Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes. He's projected as a mid first round pick...that's where we'll be picking...he's the top rated player at his position...and he fills a huge need.

Mecca
12-10-2005, 12:49 PM
Rod Wright sux. His stock has gone way down since the beginning of the year because he's slow, fat, and looks lazy on the field. That draft analyst (Mike Mayock or whatever his name is?) was on NFL network ripping him a new asshole. I normally don't pay much if any attention to these so called "draft analysts", since most of them are just loudmouthed phuqtards who know jack shit about football, but Mayock does a damn good job putting together film on players and what happens on the film is pretty obvious.

This guy also said that Derrick Johnson sucked.........yea let's believe him.

Brock
12-10-2005, 01:53 PM
I think we'll take Ohio State WR Santonio Holmes. He's projected as a mid first round pick...that's where we'll be picking...he's the top rated player at his position...and he fills a huge need.

A huge need? Hardly.

B_Ambuehl
12-10-2005, 02:08 PM
This guy also said that Derrick Johnson sucked.........yea let's believe him.

Like I said, if he just *said* it I wouldn't believe it....but what you see right in front of you on the film doesn't lie and Mayock is good at backing up what he says with a shitload of film. And ther'es plenty of film showing Rod Wright looking worse then Jr. Siavii vs inferior lineman.

As far as DJ goes, certain aspects of his game do suck. He still does not take on blockers and he has difficulty getting around blockers when he does engage or rush the passer. That's also evident on the film. (See the screen pass against Denver as an example) Those were the criticisms he had going into the draft and Sean Merriman certainly looks better in both areas which pretty much verifies him being the first linebacker off the board.

Chiefnj
12-10-2005, 02:20 PM
Watch some bowl games and come to your own conclusions instead of relying on "experts" who copy each others pick on the net.

McNeil of Auburn can move really well for a big guy.

If the tackle from Miami is slipping it's because he's being dragged down by his teammates. If you watch Winston you'll see he does a good job on his guy while the rest of the line is allowing passers through like a seive.

If you want an interior lineman outside of the first round look for Mangold on Ohio State. He calls the blocking schemes and has shut down some of the better DT/NT's on his own.

Martin Nance would be a great receiver.

Tamba Hali (sp?) has played well at DE.

Has Kiwanku recovered from that cheap ass block yet?

CanadaKC
12-10-2005, 02:27 PM
come on...we have arguably one of the worst WR tamdems in the NFL.
Gonzo does not count as a WR. Kennison is nearly done...and it's the perfect tiem to infuse our WR core with talent. No way we'll get CB J. Williams from Va. Tech...I can't see us going after another DT...so OT or WR...possibly QB Jeff Cutler in round one.

ChiTown
12-10-2005, 02:29 PM
Draft Needs:
Order of importance
1. OT
2. OG
3. WR
4. CB
5. DE
6. FB
7. DT

Reaper16
12-10-2005, 02:30 PM
I want to know, too. Kiwi was a sure-fire top 15 pick before that terrible cut-block.

Oh, s***. That punk o-lineman who injured Kiwi and got suspended was from Virgina, wasn't he?!? The same Virginia o-line coached by new Kansas State coach Ron Prince.

I hope K-State, a classy school, doesn't start with cheap tactics like what happened with Virginia.

Mecca
12-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Watch some bowl games and come to your own conclusions instead of relying on "experts" who copy each others pick on the net.

McNeil of Auburn can move really well for a big guy.

If the tackle from Miami is slipping it's because he's being dragged down by his teammates. If you watch Winston you'll see he does a good job on his guy while the rest of the line is allowing passers through like a seive.

If you want an interior lineman outside of the first round look for Mangold on Ohio State. He calls the blocking schemes and has shut down some of the better DT/NT's on his own.

Martin Nance would be a great receiver.

Tamba Hali (sp?) has played well at DE.

Kiwanukas a top 10 pick........

Mecca
12-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Draft Needs:
Order of importance
1. OT
2. OG
3. WR
4. CB
5. DE
6. FB
7. DT

I actually totally disagree with that........Dline is a huge need for this team. We have no quality depth, not to mention Daltons a free agent and John Brownings old. Even if Ryan Sims does come around that leaves us with 2 quality Dlineman.

Tackles a need, Guard isn't atleast not that high. Welbourne will move over to Shields spot when he retires, thus the tackle need.

carlos3652
12-10-2005, 02:54 PM
If we pick 22-32

On Offense Either

OT - McNeill (Auburn) - Ryan O'Callaghan (Cal)
OG - Max Jean-Gilles (Georgia) - Jason Spitz(Louisville)
WR - Santonio Holmes (OSU), Chad Jackson (Florida)

On Defense

CB - Devin Hester, (Miami (FL)) - Tye Hill (Clemson)
DT - Haloti Ngata* (Oregon) - Gabe Watson(Michigan)
ILB - Ahmad Brooks* (Virginia)
OLB - A.J. Hawk, (OSU)

(*underclassmen)

I think any of these would be ok... there is no clear #1 but if I would have to guess I would go O - Line in first round. Our offense starts there...

Mecca
12-10-2005, 02:57 PM
If we pick 22-32

On Offense Either

OT - McNeill (Auburn) - Ryan O'Callaghan (Cal)
OG - Max Jean-Gilles (Georgia) - Jason Spitz(Louisville)
WR - Santonio Holmes (OSU), Chad Jackson (Florida)

On Defense

CB - Devin Hester, (Miami (FL)) - Tye Hill (Clemson)
DT - Haloti Ngata* (Oregon) - Gabe Watson(Michigan)
ILB - Ahmad Brooks* (Virginia)
OLB - A.J. Hawk, (OSU)

(*underclassmen)

I think any of these would be ok... there is no clear #1 but if I would have to guess I would go O - Line in first round. Our offense starts there...

No offense to your opinion but why would you want Devin Hester? The guy has no position the only thing he's good at is returning kicks. A.J. Hawks a top 15 pick at worst so I doubt we'll even sniff him. I also don't think you should ever take a guard in the first round of a draft.

carlos3652
12-10-2005, 03:07 PM
No offense to your opinion but why would you want Devin Hester? The guy has no position the only thing he's good at is returning kicks.

I think he is a decent cb coming out of Miami, I think Dante (if he is still being used as a WR) should maybe handle KO, and maybe get a fresh body to handle Punts. I think Dante is capable of doing his thing, the issue is that he doesnt look as fresh as he should be out there sometimes. Also I think Hester would be a better option than Horn on ST.

A.J. Hawks a top 15 pick at worst so I doubt we'll even sniff him.

DJ hopefull... :)

I also don't think you should ever take a guard in the first round of a draft.

I would take OT though...

Mecca
12-10-2005, 03:12 PM
I think he is a decent cb coming out of Miami, I think Dante (if he is still being used as a WR) should maybe handle KO, and maybe get a fresh body to handle Punts. I think Dante is capable of doing his thing, the issue is that he doesnt look as fresh as he should be out there sometimes. Also I think Hester would be a better option than Horn on ST.

DJ hopefull... :)

I would take OT though...

Well from what I've heard, Hester isn't coming out and is switching back to WR for next season. He's a dynamite kick returner but he's not much else. If you got him in like the 4th round then that would be a good pick.

Also, yea it's fine to take OT's in the first round, but with as deep as this year is at that position. I think we could get a quality tackle in round 2. There are always quality guards in rounds 2-4.

carlos3652
12-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Well from what I've heard, Hester isn't coming out and is switching back to WR for next season. He's a dynamite kick returner but he's not much else. If you got him in like the 4th round then that would be a good pick.

Also, yea it's fine to take OT's in the first round, but with as deep as this year is at that position. I think we could get a quality tackle in round 2. There are always quality guards in rounds 2-4.

Good points...

Tribal Warfare
12-10-2005, 03:33 PM
As far as DJ goes, certain aspects of his game do suck. He still does not take on blockers and he has difficulty getting around blockers when he does engage or rush the passer. That's also evident on the film. (See the screen pass against Denver as an example) Those were the criticisms he had going into the draft and Sean Merriman certainly looks better in both areas which pretty much verifies him being the first linebacker off the board.

Shawne Merriman only leads DJ in one category thats sacks

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/416752

Derrick Johnson

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/552552

B_Ambuehl
12-10-2005, 07:20 PM
Shawne Merriman only leads DJ in one category thats sacks

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/416752

Derrick Johnson

http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/552552

Merriman also plays in the 3-4 and didn't start until week 5 or thereabouts. An OLB in the 4-3 will generally make a lot more tackles vs an OLB in the 3-4.

B_Ambuehl
12-10-2005, 07:24 PM
Wide receiver would be a need but IMO it's not necessary to spend a high draft pick on an unproven rookie at the position when so many fail and when there are so many available in free agency every year. Peerless Price and Charles Rogers come to mind for '06.

Mecca
12-10-2005, 07:26 PM
This is also one of the weakest WR drafts in the last 10 years.

Tribal Warfare
12-10-2005, 08:06 PM
[/url]

Merriman also plays in the 3-4 and didn't start until week 5 or thereabouts. An OLB in the 4-3 will generally make a lot more tackles vs an OLB in the 3-4.

Yet, KC has been splitting out of the very same formations

12-10-2005, 08:17 PM
Do you think he'll still be available, even though we'll be picking last? ;)

I like the way you think.:thumb:

ChiTown
12-10-2005, 11:20 PM
I actually totally disagree with that........Dline is a huge need for this team. We have no quality depth, not to mention Daltons a free agent and John Brownings old. Even if Ryan Sims does come around that leaves us with 2 quality Dlineman.

Tackles a need, Guard isn't atleast not that high. Welbourne will move over to Shields spot when he retires, thus the tackle need.

Draft for OL and get deep on the DL with FA. It's just my philosophy.

chiefsfolife
12-10-2005, 11:35 PM
denver donks

Tribal Warfare
12-10-2005, 11:52 PM
Draft for OL and get deep on the DL with FA. It's just my philosophy.

Drafting the BAA is mine

HolmeZz
12-11-2005, 01:26 AM
Devin Hester is a pure kick returner and a pretty shitty CB. If he comes out this year, I like Ashton Youboty quite a bit. He's an all purpose corner. Good tackler.

Santonio's the best WR in the draft.

The draft is stacked with offensive tackles. I can't recall one with depth this good.

The only DT I'm really excited about is Haloti Ngata. Guy's a mammoth and is very athletic for his size.

Mecca
12-11-2005, 01:29 AM
Devin Hester is a pure kick returner and a pretty shitty CB. If he comes out this year, I like Ashton Youboty quite a bit. He's an all purpose corner. Good tackler.

Santonio's the best WR in the draft.

The draft is stacked with offensive tackles. I can't recall one with depth this good.

The only DT I'm really excited about is Haloti Ngata. Guy's a mammoth and is very athletic for his size.

The fact that you said that means atleast 1 person will go "You want another DT from Oregon look what happened last time". That seems to be some of the logic employed around here when it comes to the draft.

HolmeZz
12-11-2005, 01:45 AM
Siavii isn't in Ngata's league though. We reached for Siavii in the 2nd round. If Ngata fell to us at 24 it'd be an absolute steal.

Mecca
12-11-2005, 01:49 AM
Siavii isn't in Ngata's league though. We reached for Siavii in the 2nd round. If Ngata fell to us at 24 it'd be an absolute steal.

I agree with you, I was just making that comment based on what I got earlier in the thread. "We can't pick another DT high because we've failed on it in the past". I don't like that logic but some people around here are employing it.